DeviceDrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Interested in rowing -- what to expect?

Earlier today I was confronted by some students from my University who were looking for people to join the intramural rowing team. Although I wasn't quite interested at first because of my school workload (engineering major), the idea grew on me quite a bit in a relatively short span of time. I'm quite addicted to the whole weightlifting/bodybuilding thing, and I'm currently 5'10, 176-180ibs (haven't weighed in a while) and am about 13% bf.

I typically train with weights 4-5 days a week on a split routine, the body parts involved alternate every couple weeks, and I run 3.3 miles 3-4 times a week.

I was curious about what to expect from the sport. Although it is intramural, I doubt the training would be any less intense considering the trophies I saw them sporting. I also heard that rowing is one of the most intense sports there are.

Any information on what I should expect and what my training should look like would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I understand that I could probably just go to these guys from my university and ask them myself. The problem is is that this is more convenient for me considering my class times and gym schedule, and would rather not spend time wandering around my school that I don't have to. Also I should mention that I have a great respect for the bodybuilding.com community, and would rather hear it from the members here than anywhere else anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    I remember there being a topic on rowing a little while's ago. I don't see much of them on here at all so I don't know how much rowers are there. You might want to talk to them, might get answers quicker than on here.

But try the search (not being a dick) just saying that I do remember there being a great topic on rowing
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

toned clavicle group Starboardrwr223's Avatar
    Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey I'm a highschool rower thought I would drop in here. I'll tell you right now; weightlifting in rowing is very important. You need allot of explosive power specifially from the quads to build power. Your not the tallest guy (neither am I) so that's your main disadvantage but don't let that deter you, you can easily make up for it by just producing allot of power. The main muscles you use i find are your entire back, shoulders, quads and various other muscles. But it isn't all about power, you need to get the rowing form down pretty well or you won't be as efficiant and could hurt yourself. Do keep in mind that this is a tremendous cardio, in the spring I eat about 4500+ calories a day just to stay not hungry. Look at this link:
    http://www.concept2.com/us/training/muscles_used.asp although I listed only a few major muscle groups all around muscle mass is great really.
    You will never be forgotten *Team FvrvMuscle* R.I.P
    Lifts: bent over row 170x6, Standing military press 100x10
    My Workout log/progress, please critique need advice:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=377469761#post377469761

DeviceDrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Starboard! I appreciate the response. Yeah I understand height will be my disadvantage, but I'm confident I could more than make up for it with power. Though I do understand that individual power isn't really the emphasis, because the whole team has to go on pace with each other exactly or else you're going to lose time. It's a good thing I always manage to get a fantastic leg workout going, I do plenty of squats to keep that strength. I'm looking forward to the insane cardio it is, since one of my goals has been to lose bf anyways. Tomorrow night there is an information meeting, so I'll find out all the details there. Hopefully I can make a spot! Thanks again for the reply.

toned clavicle group Starboardrwr223's Avatar
    Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DeviceDrummer View Post
    Hey Starboard! I appreciate the response. Yeah I understand height will be my disadvantage, but I'm confident I could more than make up for it with power. Though I do understand that individual power isn't really the emphasis, because the whole team has to go on pace with each other exactly or else you're going to lose time. It's a good thing I always manage to get a fantastic leg workout going, I do plenty of squats to keep that strength. I'm looking forward to the insane cardio it is, since one of my goals has been to lose bf anyways. Tomorrow night there is an information meeting, so I'll find out all the details there. Hopefully I can make a spot! Thanks again for the reply.
    No problem. One of the top guys on my team is 5'9 170 pounds. Not tall but he has the best form and is just an engine. And yes it's very team orintated, if one guys having a bad day in your 8 every gets the side effects. But if you get a boat full of some guys that are really big muscle wise it's scary what they do time wise to the competition. If you ever see an ergometer at the gym that's what us rowers use to get better. Good luck hopefully you'll get a spot.
    You will never be forgotten *Team FvrvMuscle* R.I.P
    Lifts: bent over row 170x6, Standing military press 100x10
    My Workout log/progress, please critique need advice:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=377469761#post377469761

missella5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congrats on choosing rowing. I'm currently a division one oarswoman and I am telling you right now, it is a great sport and unlike anything I've ever done. Its amazing because people can start in college and four years later reach the top level. Its just incredible. A few things you should know...at 5'10, you are pretty undersized; however, I wouldn't let that discourage you. I'd go lightweight though if I were you because typically heavy weight rowing is a sport for big kids. As for workload stuff, rowing is ideal for that because most teams practice in the morning. This will keep you out of the bars and will allow you to get up and get your homework done. Good luck and stick with it. Lifting is crucial in rowing, as rowing could almost be described as endurance powerlifting. Good luck and congrats on your decision to try rowing!
    30,26 to go...

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I row! I'll tell you right now, rowing is a sport where dedication and the hours pay off. You will not be able to do it casually, you will be tired, but at the same time it's absolutely fantastic. Like Ella said, it will not interfere with your classes during the day, rowing practices on the water are predominantly morning practices. It has NOT interfered with my studying.

Your novice year will be all about form, but just so you know, as soon as you've mastered it to the point that all 8 can row steadily without the bout tipping to either port or starboard (which can take the full year, don't be put off), it's exhilarating. It's unbelievable. And as far as it being a good workout - yes, god yes, by all means. Just wait 'til you hit the time trials on the erg (it's short for ergometer, or the rowing machine!), mental toughness is absolutely essential.

haha and oh, can't forget this one, one of the best parts about men's rowing (sorry Ella! the women don't do this, yeah?): the long-standing tradition is that if you beat the other team in a one-on-one match or a final, the losers have to give the winners the shirts off their backs. You win their uniforms. I had the racing top of our rival college on my wall by the end of last year, as well as a few other tokens from the spring season. It's great.

Alright, anyhow.

I was absolutely in your shoes one year ago. I had ran track in high school and couldn't make our D1 team, so I had planned on running recreationally, until the first week my roommate and I met a few guys advertising for the team. We decided to go to the info session together the following week, and ended up both signing on along with another guy from our hall. It can be tough adjusting at first once things start to pick up, but it's now one of the instant highlights of my freshman year of college, and I can't wait to give it another shot come this season.

Edit: Yes, your team can make your experience. If you have at least eight guys and a coxswain who are willing to work, you'll have a blast. Gluck man and keep us posted once you start!

missella5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh shirt betting...that does sound fun. D1 women's teams can't do it so no shirts for us; however, the clubs, like the guys, can. That tradition seems so fun. I wish we did it. I know some highschools did it.flipnch1nese, I, like you, took up rowing in college after not making the d1 basketball team at my school. People saw me and were like "you're really tall and enormous". I did some national id stuff this summer and was recruited out of my club team and am currently rowing in a d1 program. Rowing is really strange in that respect. I agree with you on the statement that your team makes your experience. Some of my best friends have been team mates. Rowing is such hard work that it really forms a special bond between you and your team. I'm not even going to go into depth about the bond that total reliance on your teammates brings...Rowing is just really special. To the OP, I really hope you give it a shot. As my old club would encourage our new novices, I really encourage you to atleast stick around for one race. Do that, and you'll be hooked. Good luck!
    30,26 to go...

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    haha forsure!

I wish I had access to an erg this summer, but the closest location is 30 miles away, so it's just not practical on a regular basis. haha hoping to get back as soon as I can and start getting in some quality training.

Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brrcats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Give it a try, its definitely difficult, but very rewarding.

Some good exersices to help you train, squats, box jumps, stadium stairs. Most of the power for your stroke will come from your legs. However as mentioned before, technique is far more important. You could be the strongest man in the boat, but with poor technique you arent transferring that power to the water.

I was around 140 lbs rowing in the heavyweight boat in college, and I never lost a seat race to people larger or stronger than me due to technique.