29lbs down 30 more to go! wantstobeinshap's Avatar
    wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50)

what's the best rep range for mass. SHOULDERS

hey guys, my shoulders are really lagging. They always have been and I would like some advice from anyone willing to give some. Below is my routine right now, I just started this one about two weeks ago, what are your opinions?

leaning one-arm lateral raise 4x12x20lbs. Superset with seated single arm db press. 4x12x25lbs.

cable lateral raise 3x12x15lbs. Superset with single arm cable upright row 3x12x20lbs.

independent arm shoulder press machine. 4x12x40kilos and each side.

single arm reverse cable flye 4x15x15lbs.

seated behind the neck barbell press 4x8x20kilos on each side.

thanks!
    Last edited by wantstobeinshap; 09-09-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wantstobeinshap View Post
    hey guys, my shoulders are really lagging. They always have been and I would like some advice from anyone willing to give some. Below is my routine right now, I just started this one about two weeks ago, what are your opinions?

leaning one-arm lateral raise 4x12x20lbs. Superset with seated single arm db press. 4x12x25lbs.

cable lateral raise 3x12x15lbs. Superset with single arm cable upright row 3x12x20lbs.

independent arm shoulder press machine. 4x12x40kilos and each side.

single arm reverse cable flye 4x15x15lbs.

seated behind the neck barbell press 4x8x20kilos on each side.

thanks!
    Here's a tip from Fred Hatfield on working out what the fibre make up of a given muscle is and hence the it's optimal rep range. Take an isolation exercises that works that muscle, in this case the front raise. Work up to a 1rm in perfect form. 40lb say. Take 80% of that 32lb in this case and perform as many reps as you can in perfect form. The lower the number the more fast twitch the fibre make up is, the more reps the more slow twitch it is. In approximate terms, however many reps you can manage is the rep range which will best stimulate hypertrophy in that muscle. Also, the higher the rep range & more slow twitch, the more recovery time that muscle will likely need between sessions all things being equal.

BUT your body adapts to rep ranges within 6 weeks or so, so no matter what fibre composition you are you still have to vary the rep ranges. But if you're very fast twitch you might vary between 2-8 at different times and if very slow twitch between say 6-15.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

29lbs down 30 more to go! wantstobeinshap's Avatar
    wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks, i'll keep that in mind.

BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) BritishSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2 Exercises i doubt you'll think of and probably won't bother trying. High pulls and behind the neck push press. 10x3 on each i.e. HEAVY.

ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500)
    my delts grew when i started pounding them with heavy weight in the 3-8 rep range.

rest between sets became key so that i didnt have to reduce the weight or only reduced it by a bit.

db presses, laterals, bent-laterals.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You've got 2 presses, and 2 laterals in there, and no front delt iso. More isn't better, better is better.

Try this, in this order:

Seated Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 6-8 reps

Face Pull 3x12-15

Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x10

Alternate Front Dumbbell Raise 3x10
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733