rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull Pin or Hole and Rod Power Racks

I am about to buy a new rack. I narrowed my choices to the Keys Fitness , Yukon long base and powertec racks. The retailer advised against the pull pin as he said they can be less durable than the rod. I getting the rack mainly for flat,incline and decline benching and military preesses.

Thoughts?

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IMHO pull pin racks are more durable but it really makes no difference. The rods are easier to change and you can actually take them out which I find better but IMO I find pull pin to be a better buy but like I said it doesn't really make a huge difference because on those 3 racks at least the safety spotters won't be falling apart anytime soon (unless you're dropping 600+)

Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have the pull pins on my York rack. They are nice and sturdy and with the limited space I have, it is nice having the elbow room.

Since my rack has two sets of hooks, I found that I do not need to move the safety bar all that much. I think it is close to the Keys Fitness rack.

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm partial to the spring loaded pull-pin safeties, that's what I have had on both of my racks. They adjust quicker & quieter too.

billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50) billy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the solid steel safety pin power rack. A guy I know has a pull pin power rack. Not sure if all pull pin power racks are alike but the safety spotters on his are not solid metal or steel for that matter. I would not feel safe doing my lockouts on his safety spotters. I regularly drop 500+ lbs on my safety pins and they have held up to whatever I have thrown at them so far. I understand that not everyone plans on lifting 500+ lbs but I'm just sharing my experience with solid steel safety pin power racks. Also, I noticed that I have yet to see any pull pin power racks at commercial gyms or colleges. I don't know what your goals are but if you're not planning to train like a powerlifter and incorporate exercises such as rack pulls or lockouts then pull pin power racks should suit you well. In the attached pix, there is 875 lbs setting on my steel safety pins that is wrapped with piping foam to avoid metal on metal. The 1st plate is a 100 lb plate.

Last edited by billy; 01-24-2007 at 02:37 AM.

bigluke39 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have a Parabody similar to this one http://www.busybody.com/PRODUCTDETAI.../Parabody.html (Only mine is white and charcoal, and about 12 years old.) It is made from 2"x3" stock, and it's very solid. I have used it for 780# half deads, 525# squats, 415# bench pess, and it takes it in stride. The pull pins take about 1 second to change positions. I marked with a permenent marker all the most used locations, and wrote what exercise they are for. This speeds up the changes, and when I get back into lifting after a layoff, I don't need to remember what number hole I need to move to.

I strongly recommend the pull pin type power racks. They are strong, and very quick to change. And the Parabody will hold up to years of super heavy use.

As for the times when you need the support bars out of the way. You can move them down near the floor in a second, and they should be out of the way there.
    Last edited by bigluke39; 01-24-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a NYBB with pull pin type and that's what I would suggest.

Blue