Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rockyl686 View Post
    snip
    defensive post is defensive

NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WilyCoder View Post
    His post isn't that defensive compared to the person who replied to this thread making a LONG ASS reply. Not that there is a problem with that but if you want to talk about defensive, that's the definition of defensive.

Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I love seeing people that have never attended a University or went to sum 3rd rate college try to disparage the professors. These people are so much smarter than you, just stop it. Honestly. DO you think a person "who could not even make it in the real world" would get a job as a professor at Columbia, Standford, Chicago, Berkely, Yale, Harvard, Brown, etc.. These people are geniuses and can go out into the open market and demand their salary. Other professors in more esoteric areas, French poetry, just have a love affair with a particular area of the humanities and art, and I personally find it beautiful. Art and Reason is what sets us apart from animals, and a high degree of culture and exposure to works outside of one's subject interest really expands ones overall mental abilities. I originally thought Philosophy might be a fun topic but soon dsicovered how much it helped my critical thinking ability. My literature classes helped increase my overall reading comprehension so when I am confronted with new and obscure subject matter, I have a much easier time understanding it, and being able to form intelligent, reasoned thoughts about it. That is what a college degree is supposed to do, not teach a skill, but to teach you to think better, to expand your body of knowledge, to expose you to topics you might never explore on your own. The people who scream that college is not necessary are engaging in the classic display of an ignorant man who thinks he knows everything and has all the answers himself. Your very proposition demonstrates the validity of my thesis. If you knew half as much as you claim you did, you would know there is always a benefit to increasing one's education. If a person learns nothing while there, that is the fault of the student, not the university. Then Graduate schools, and professional schools are there to teach a skill, after you have learned how to think.
    Whose disparaging professionals? No one has said it anywhere in this thread that people who go to school are ignorance. They have merely said that you do not have to have it to be successful. So you would do well to actually learn to read instead reading what you want to see.
    Also if you assume that your college degree did that then you're a true fool because it was only your interest in your perseverance of a human being. That made that possible, not because someone handed you a piece of paper.

actually my position is not demonstrated that because you sir have misrepresented my position, no doubt because of your lowbrow inferiority complex.

My guess would be that you are another ambulance chaser, much like Leonidas.

just because you don't go to college does not mean that you cannot increase your education, I can read any book that you have read and not have to spend $40,000 a year for the privilege to do so. Ever heard of the library? lol

they get those jobs exactly because they couldn't make it in the real world, if They could their advanced education should have made them multimillionaires. But guess what, they're not,is a matter of fact, they're not much much more successful than the professors at three much every other college.

I love Ronnie for freeing up the economy, but damn him for bringing in such heathens into our formally respectable party. Religion has no business in politics, that is for liberal idiots on their human rights marches. The world is a better place because of abortion. Abortion is a good thing, we have enough idiots in the world already sucking away my tax dollars, why bring more unwanted morons into the world.

Ohh yeah, Ron Paul 2012!!!
    well now what's this?

The last linchpin in this post being satirical apparently because this is just an outright blatant attempt to appear that you are flying in the face of all poor people that they should be liberals,lol

Your ATTITUDE has been one of complete superiority and disdain for people that are not, just like you, textbook elitism.

More than likely you are the person with college in the who's sitting in his mommy's basement because he can't get a job as anything but a burger flipper
    War Machine for bb.com Moderator

websites you should check out

fairtax.org kniferights.org

gunowners.org AKTI.org

“I in my own house am an emperor,
    and will defend what is mine.”

Massinger-The Roman Actor. Act 1. Sc. 2.33

Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vitalshok44 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NotStandingBy View Post
    His post isn't that defensive compared to the person who replied to this thread making a LONG ASS reply. Not that there is a problem with that but if you want to talk about defensive, that's the definition of defensive.
    it so long that I couldn't fit it all in one post,lol

it's just Leonida300's Ghost account more than likely, after all, what are the chances that two people would write such long-winded over-the-top elitist nonsense.

And yes my post response is a bit defensive, but then again, I think that there is nothing wrong with being defensive when someone completely misrepresents! the position I've taken.

gunowners.org AKTI.org

SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SkinnyProp03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I NEVER said that those people should not have college degrees, merely that a system in which a person studied and took a test for employment could be superior to the current college system, which is a roulette wheel as far as getting education versus indoctrination and in no way guarantees that you will find a job that will allow you to pay off the debt you incur from going.
    How would YOU know that?

WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WilyCoder is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    And yes my post response is a bit defensive, but then again, I think that there is nothing wrong with being defensive when someone completely misrepresents! the position I've taken.
    So if college is so worthless will your kids be going to college?

another pointless post by a pointless man, let's look at some of your recent intellectual brilliance and refute capability against one of my other recent engagements with you.

I said.

Most conservatives realize that military spending is in fact, one of the few forms of spending that is in fact constitutional, does try to say that it's the same thing as welfare spending is a joke.

Try as you might pretty damn near impossible to bankrupt the country based solely on military spending, I know you're dying to reference a rush after that. But remember that it was overrun with state-funded programs and lacked a free market to take up the slack.

Give me ONE example of how over sea spending on military exercises even remotely directly affects the Economy. The Economy is effected by 4 things.

How much things cost how much people spend, how high unemployment is, and how high inflation is.

the only thing war affects in Economy is peoples perception of the economic condition. besides military spending is essentially government spending. So under that logic, military spending, should improve our economy meaning the Iraq war should be improving the economy, by your logic, of course.
    an the brilliant rebuttal You came up with was

Affected.

This is why you do not get engaged in discussion.
    truly a masterful rebuttal,lol

Originally Posted by SkinnyProp03 View Post
    Spoken like someone who never went. How would YOU know that? Is someone mad because they got a 400 on the SATs?
    Right, there's no way that I could know that college is like that, after all, it's not like I had friends or relatives that went to college or anything like that.

Why what I be mad? I'm perfectly happy not living in debt and making pretty much the same amount of money as those people.

gunowners.org AKTI.org

So if college is so worthless will your kids be going to college?
    Until you highlight the exact portion of any! of my quotes that make that statement, you can piss off.

Show the exact evidence that that is my stance or STFU

gunowners.org AKTI.org

NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000) NotStandingBy is just really nice. (+1000)
    it so long that I couldn't fit it all in one post,lol

it's just Leonida300's Ghost account more than likely, after all, what are the chances that two people would write such long-winded over-the-top elitist nonsense.

Most likely.

I am not risking a hokiebird incident here hence why I am not bothering to reply, most especially when many of the issues have already been addressed.

Most likely.

I am not risking a hokiebird incident here hence why I am not bothering to reply, most especially when many of the issues have already been addressed.
    a guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, too much fight to the death mentality I guess.

But yes, I must admit I'm getting pretty tired of having to repeat the same thing a thousand times over just because fools read what they want to read instead of what is actually written

gunowners.org AKTI.org

This post is full of name-calling and ad hominem it's not funny.

You just proved our point on elitism. Now GTFO with it.

Originally Posted by strong~arms View Post
    I am indeed an elitist and i have no problem with that. I think some people are indeed naturally superior to others, whether it be physically or intellectually. I do disdain people like you, who spout off nonsense like it is fact, based upon absolutely nothing. Again, your hyper-defensiveness comes to the fore, because nowhere in my post did I say you needed an education to be successful, it just dramatically increases your odds of being successful. You can deny this all you want, but all economic data points in my favor, not yours.

why should anyone listen to your ignorant tirades against higher education and the people that teach at these institutions, considering that you have never been to one on which to form your absurd conclusions. And even if you did, attending one college or university in no way makes you any type of expert on the qualifications, or lack thereof, in the University System. You truly are one of the most ignorant, imbecilic posters, I have ever come across on this forum. You have no idea what the intellectual situation is on a campus because you have never been on one.

You are a truly laughable, pathetic little man. Keep telling yourself your lies, and maybe one day you will not have to cry yourself to sleep at night going over all of your life's failures. I have no inferiority complex, possible a bit of a narcissist, ok definitely, but my educational and business achievements no doubt greatly exceed whatever little meager amount of what you quantify as success.

Kids, stay in school, there is not a rational basis for Rocky's arguments, nor can he point out anything other than a few examples of extraordinary people who have achieved greatness. Most of us are not great, but we should still strive for greatness. Your best chance is by constantly trying to better yourself, and one of the best methods of this is to keep increasing your education. Now again, Rocky demonstrates his lack of reading comprehension and illustrates my point about the value of a formal education, because if you are not seeking a professional level job, it is probably not necessary. College again is not right for everyone, but education can be pursued through other avenues, such as a trade school or apprenticeship. I place no greater value on intellectual work than on manual labor, but be a skilled laborer. There is always a market for skilled labor. He seemed to miss the section where i was discussing my general contractor who I use on certain jobs, who has made a very successful career for himself and did not attend college. I agree it would have been a waste for him, as he did not like school, and had a plan for what he wanted to do. Rocky is too busy defending his insecurities to properly read an argument so he missed that part. If you have a plan and do not desire a job as a professional, college may not be for you. If you have excellent computer skills, it may also not be necssary. I firmly believe that "arts" degrees are a waste of time unless you are attending on scholarship. You can always refine and better your skills, but art is a talent that either you are born with or not. You can get better, but the base level of talent has to be there.

Rocky also has trouble picking up on sarcasm and humor, probably because he is so busy beating back the demons that plague him, so he mistook my Ron Paul comment as something devious. I just find it amusing when people put things like that at the end of their passages, it was just a poor attempt at humor. I would never waste a vote for Ron Paul and though I agree somewhat with his ideology, if actually implemented society would basically collapse. Bad idea.

a guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, too much fight to the death mentality I guess.

But yes, I must admit I'm getting pretty tired of having to repeat the same thing a thousand times over just because fools read what they want to read instead of what is actually written
    Sorry rocky, I didn't go to college so I don't know how to read.

I Have a massive inferiority complex and can't stand that my misrepresentations of you have been properly put in context. So now I'm going to cry about it.
    fixed^

Sorry rocky, I didn't go to college so I don't know how to read.
    so what you are really saying is no you can't provide evidence I made such statements.

gunowners.org AKTI.org

jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am indeed an elitist and i have no problem with that. I think some people are indeed naturally superior to others, whether it be physically or intellectually. I do disdain people like you, who spout off nonsense like it is fact, based upon absolutely nothing.
    disdain is not a verb and I couldn't quite be bothered to get the whole way through your post but you come off as a complete tool.

cliffs on thread?
    "I'm not like most girls." -most girls

I can not actually believe that is your response. So since you know people who have engaged in certain activities that provides you with the necessary insight to make such gross generalizations. I have friends and relatives in the military, but that in no way gives me a sufficient basis to make broad generalizations about the quality of all military commanders, other members, military tactics and strategy, etc..,
    Not at all, it's merely an indicator to go off of what I have found out from other peoples experiences, should I not take their word that those experiences are true Even though they live it?
    you're claiming that people who had a college experience different from yours are complete untruth.
    All I'm saying is that there's no guarantee you'll get a good education for your money.

It's just information that has been relayed to me by other people with firsthand experience, which has also been reinforced in a number of other states by thousands of other people, including people with college degrees.

Here's an example of two college students, would you say that their teachers have both equipped them equally?

Also, it's not a broad generalization It's a genuine fact that there are teachers out there that are inadequate. So to make up for their inadequacies they indoctrinate rather than teach because they are in fact incapable of teaching.

4:22

this guy is hardly educating his students, he's just using them as warm bodies to stick a sign on to further his little warped agenda.

andThat has to be one of the most profoundly idiotic justifications I have come across in quite some time. Well I have never actually been to medical school, but I know some doctors, so I am well qualified to make blanket generalizations about all medical schools in the United States. Please, I beg you, come up with something slightly more intelligent.
    considering that I'm not arguing that point and you are. I would agree that it is an idiotic justification that you have.

thread will more than likely be deleted before too much longer. Due to the hostility displayed by my detractors.

gunowners.org AKTI.org

Originally Posted by shaftoe View Post
    disdain is not a verb and I couldn't quite be bothered to get the whole way through your post but you come off as a complete tool.

cliffs on thread?
    People come and say that you don't have to graduate college to be successful.

Detractors choose to misrepresent that statement to say that those people are saying all education is worthless.

Previous party's continue to say that they are not vilifying education Merely saying that it is not a guarantee that you will be successful in life just because you have a college degree.

detractors began to call them ignorant for their stance that all education is worthless. Even though no such stance was ever made And no evidence was ever presented to support said fact, even after numerous requests .

gunowners.org AKTI.org

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did you miss the point where I said I am an elitist? I do not believe that people are born into an elite position, but i believe based upon merit, some people are naturally more fit to be in positions of power and authority than others. I do not deny that. I am actually a big believer in the "Elitist Theory of Democracy". Look it up, I learned about it in College, they teach you new things there. Great place, I learned quite a bit. Why should I have respect for a person's opinion when it is founded upon nothing other than mindless ignorance backed up only by a hyper-inflated sense of self-worth? The average american is not worth listening to. I could care less if they are liberal or conservative, they are both imbeciles that know very little of what they speak about. I tend to vote Republican because it serves my economic interest, but am moving towards being an independent, as I hate the idiotic southern republicans. I also despise social welfare programs as being a huge impediment towards self actualization and think the democrats and these programs have effectively destroyed the African American Community with them. It encourages the most despicable forms of irresponsibility.
    Because if you continue to look down your nose at others someone will probably break it for you.....or worse.
    I'm sure there are many people on this very board that would be more than happy to provide you with the attitude adjustment you so desperately need.

jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jafomofo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    coming from a guy with his baseball hat turned backward I take that as a compliment. Thank you! As long as the right people hate me, I know I am doing a good job.

As the folks in the rap world say "Ya'll just a bunch of jealous ass haters".
    what makes me the right people? my hat? i'm a raging liberal with a masters degree. From the brief snippets of what I read in your posts I should be your target audience for support but alas...you're still a tool.
    "I'm not like most girls." -most girls

NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NCK MIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    fixed^

so what you are really saying is no you can't provide evidence I made such statements.
    while I agree with pretty much everything you have said, Medians are not shifted based upon millionaires and/or billionaires. The median income is higher for those with college degrees. Now you could argue it was the drive and intelligence of the person and not the degree that resulted in this higher median earning compacity (and I would tend to agree).

Also why a test for employment? That only looks at the knowledge of the job the individual has and fails to include the majority of relevant KSAOs that should be included. I would argue the individuals that tend to excel in test taking are the same individuals that have college degrees so you are penalizing individuals for being unskilled test takers.
    "When you get a BS you think you know everything
    When you get your MS you realize you know nothing
    When you get your PhD you still realize you know nothing but it is ok because now you know no one else does either"

coming from a guy with his baseball hat turned backward I take that as a compliment. Thank you! As long as the right people hate me, I know I am doing a good job.

As the folks in the rap world say "Ya'll just a bunch of jealous ass haters".
    lol we are all jealous of ambulance chasers

Sorry, I doubt they let people like you into the places I frequent. You could not even get in the door. Even if you could manage to sneak in you probably could not even afford a glass of water. Peasant.
    give it up leo 300 we all know that it is you because you're the only person on here that gives such Encyclopedia posts.

shaf is a college grad if I'm not mistaken, so apparently even a college degree is not good enough for you.

All you are is a spoiled little child who never got the butt kicking that he needed to grow up into a man.

You are the very antithesis of everything that is wrong with this country

gunowners.org AKTI.org

Originally Posted by shaftoe View Post
    what makes me the right people? my hat? i'm a raging liberal with a masters degree. From the brief snippets of what I read in your posts I should be your target audience for support but alas...you're still a tool.
    well put, as I've said all along this insinuation that elitism is a smear on education is just not true.
    Elitism is an attitude that you are better than everyone else based solely on the fact that you belong to a certain class or prestige.

Originally Posted by NCK MIZ View Post
    while I agree with pretty much everything you have said, Medians are not shifted based upon millionaires and/or billionaires. The median income is higher for those with college degrees. Now you could argue it was the drive and intelligence of the person and not the degree that resulted in this higher median earning compacity (and I would tend to agree).
    I was referring to the statistic they throw around that college graduates, on average earn a think it was one or 2 million more per year than non-college graduates.

Also why a test for employment? That only looks at the knowledge of the job the individual has and fails to include the majority of relevant KSAOs that should be included. I would argue the individuals that tend to excel in test taking are the same individuals that have college degrees so you are penalizing individuals for being unskilled test takers.
    if you want to be a lawyer, you have to pass the bar, but of course before you can get into law school you have to order to have quite a bit of college.

Why not simply shift the system so that a person can go directly to learning about the career field that interests them?

While oversimplification can be a problem over complexity is a problem as well. So why not make it easier for people to get into the profession they want to get into. By simplifying the process as opposed to lowering standards.

gunowners.org AKTI.org

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry, I doubt they let people like you into the places I frequent. You could not even get in the door. Even if you could manage to sneak in you probably could not even afford a glass of water. Peasant.
    I don't fraternize with stuck up snobs nor do I frequent places $5.00 for a 12 oz glass of water. I'm not in the habit of over paying for water or anything else. You couldn't get into the places that I frequent. Your head wouldn't fit through the door.

Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    He dropped out, then got his "degree" (are we talking high school or college here?). He did drop out. It's a status/stigma/whatever you want to call it. Einstein is a high school dropout with physics degree, yes?
    he took a year off doesn't mean he dropped out.

He held his doctorates they don't give those away to dumb asses.

And just blatantly throwing out the word 'failing math' isn't the basic half assed general math they force feed to liberal arts students. Back then they had to do complex analysis, perhaps an advanced continuation course, tensor calculas and much more.

If you think math is really that easy - I urge you to borrow Classical Electrodynamics Third Edition (Hardcover) by John David Jackson and try to get through just one page of that. Every graduate student of physics is BROKEN by that text book and true mettle is found from that.

His work is incredibly difficult to understand let alone come up with - yet it explained the gravitational effects of bodies in space. Newtonian physics could not do this accurately. We call him a genius because everything he came up with - wasn't from experimental observations but solely done mentally. That's why his nobel prize was delayed - as experimental proof was required.

You have to understand the most geniuses don't excel in every area known to man. Einstein was a physicist not a mathmatician. He may have disliked maths but that doesn't mean his knowledge of physics was lacking.

I can't ask a genius concert pianist to do the mechanical work on my car simply because he's a genius.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
    Last edited by Bryce.MacLaren; 09-15-2009 at 02:23 AM.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most. - Me

Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually, you can self-teach 99% of subjects out there, even surgeon and space related.

Take accounting, you would take the CPA test and pass it.

Take law, you would take the BAR exam.

Take finance, you would take CFA exam.

I don't know the required tests for surgeon though, I never looked nor was I ever interested in it. I can't stand blood but I'm sure it's similar.

Now you ask, "how can you pass those tests if you have never been to college?"

There you go, self teach. Go to Barnes and Noble, go google, etc. Teach it all to yourself.
    brb learning to become a surgeon at home

now where did i keep that cadaver
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most. - Me

Originally Posted by Bryce.MacLaren View Post
    he took a year off doesn't mean he dropped out.
    This is untrue. That's not what the definition of dropping out means at all.

I can't address the issue below until you realize he did drop out. This is documented, has proof, etcetc. It doesn't matter where you go, who you go to, official source all said this.

Now he went back to get his equivalency or returned to finish high school. He still dropped out. He's a high school dropout with a doctorate. Can you not agree on this bolded statement?

When you drop out of school versus when you take a year or two off, you sign different papers. Trust me, I know this.

When you take a break from school, you sign a paper (actually a couple). When you drop out of school, you sign a paper. I went through these processes. I still have my papers to prove it.

You can't just drop out of school merely by not going alone. Not only is it not formal, it's not acknowledged by the system. We call it delinquency. You ever see a bunch of kids in a school bus-like NYPD van?

Those were kids that were caught and arrested. They were en-route to station (parents and teachers notified, yada yada). If the kids dropped out, they would not be in those van since the police can't touch those that leave the system formally.

There are papers for Einstein's dropout too. Like it or not he did drop out.

Edit - this works similarly for homeschooled / unschoolers by the way, you can't just "not go"

And for what it's worth, quit accusing me as a liberal art student. I'm not a liberal art student, nothing close. Half of my course are all math related. I have physics courses too, it's a major pita.

He held his doctorates they don't give those away to dumb asses.

And just blatantly throwing out the word 'failing math' isn't the basic half assed general math they force feed to liberal arts students. Back then they had to do complex analysis, perhaps an advanced continuation course, tensor calculas and much more.

If you think math is really that easy - I urge you to borrow Classical Electrodynamics Third Edition (Hardcover) by John David Jackson and try to get through just one page of that. Every graduate student of physics is BROKEN by that text book and true mettle is found from that.

His work is incredibly difficult to understand let alone come up with - yet it explained the gravitational effects of bodies in space. Newtonian physics could not do this accurately. We call him a genius because everything he came up with - wasn't from experimental observations but solely done mentally. That's why his nobel prize was delayed - as experimental proof was required.

You have to understand the most geniuses don't excel in every area known to man. Einstein was a physicist not a mathmatician. He may have disliked maths but that doesn't mean his knowledge of physics was lacking.

I can't ask a genius concert pianist to do the mechanical work on my car simply because he's a genius.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Originally Posted by Bryce.MacLaren View Post
    brb learning to become a surgeon at home

now where did i keep that cadaver
    You would borrow the equipments from MIT. They have open courseware for this kind of stuff. Not sure about a cadaver but call them up and ask.
    Last edited by NotStandingBy; 09-15-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ScreechPowers View Post
    Why are they the most popular voices on the right? There are definitely plenty of educated people on the right but why aren't they the most influential ones?
    Because they are the one's with the loudest mouths, and there are people out there that are just "sheep" and will follow anyone.

And as far as being a college dropout, so what? Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard, the founder of DELL Computers also was a dropout. Apparently they found their niche and did not feel the need to drag through college to wait for their star to shine!
    I don't give S^&%, I don't take S$^$, I ain't in the S$^$ Business!

Reps? Reps? I don't need no stinkin' Reps!

Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Paracelsus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dallasmsl View Post
    A college degree does not guarantee anything. It certainly does not guarantee common sense. Instead, it opens doors to opportunities that might otherwise be closed. The rest is up to the individual. I would never have the job I have or the opportunities I've had leading up to this job had it not been for my degree. Did college make me smarter? Well, it taught me a few buzz words to use during an interview but most of my education was taught during the foundation years in grade school - thank God for the nuns with rulers! Common sense came from my mom and dad. It was up to me to put it together and get that almighty piece of paper. Still, the main question beckens - do I need to take advice from the likes of Beck and Limbaugh who never attained anything? Who never served in the military? Who never accomplished a damn thing? Hell no.
    WTF is THIS???

You no doubt are probably the first in your family to be college educated. I have seen this type of quasi-elitist attitude before from some people that have been down this route. Well, here's some news for you, a college education is a good thing, but it is the INDIVIDUAL that will make a difference and if he has the gumption to motivate himself he will do so, regardless of his degree or lack of one!

The "Almighty Piece of Paper" works to a DEGREE, and even that depends on the college that you have attended, if it is a prestigious university in this country then all you have to do is drop the name and know the right people and you're in like Flynn.

And if you do follow that stupid advice of not taking the advice of those without a college education then you are missing out on something that you will never comprehend! The smartest person that I ever met at my university as far as wisdom was the groundskeeper, and I went to Cornell University (yes, a prestigious university).

So, open your mind to the possibility that there are people that have never been to college, like Gus the groundskeeper, that may just be a little bit smarter and more life knowledgeable then you or I even without that "Almighty Piece of Paper".

(And save the word "Almighty" for things that truly are, like God)
    I don't give S^&%, I don't take S$^$, I ain't in the S$^$ Business!

Reps? Reps? I don't need no stinkin' Reps!

Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nutsy54 View Post
    Why is it so disturbing that people can achieve personal and professional success without first dumping tens of thousands of dollars into a piece of paper that says they sat through four years of classes?
    This.

Heaven forbid somebody is successful without going to college!!!
    While you live, shine
    Don't suffer anything at all;
    Life exists only a short while
    And time demands its toll.

B - 255 lbs
    S - 355 lbs
    D - 405 lbs

OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OatsandSteak is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How about this.

Sometimes college helps you make more money, sometimes you can find a good job without college.

:S:S::S:S::S:S:S:S:S:S:S
    I'll FIX your PHONE son MAN.

ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScreechPowers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Paracelsus View Post
    Because they are the one's with the loudest mouths, and there are people out there that are just "sheep" and will follow anyone.

And as far as being a college dropout, so what? Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard, the founder of DELL Computers also was a dropout. Apparently they found their niche and did not feel the need to drag through college to wait for their star to shine!
    HUGE difference between the two. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to focus more time on his business that he had already started. And keyword HARVARD.

Harvard and bumfuk community college are not even in the same universe