Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Registered User & Abuser vifferlv's Avatar
    vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vifferlv is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for this routine!

I just started yesterday and it totally blasted my lats (B workout). Kinda felt like cheating with my workout being over so quickly but I guess as I step up the weight and take longer rests it will catch up. I have a few questions:

1. Standard warmup routine for each exercise? IE, pyramid 5-3-1 with 50%, 65%, and 85% of working sets (this is the standard right?)

2. Do they have to be done in this exact order? Actually I'm just concerned about doing squats then BB rows together, since I'll likely do them at the same station.

3. I know it doesn't need messing with, but I'd like to work in DB pullovers and calf raises as a finishing/auxiliary type of exercise. Pullovers as a breathing/expansion exercise that is known to help with a condition I have, and calf raises cause mine are super skinny. What do you think?

Director:Team Ground Zero grim83's Avatar
    grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by vifferlv View Post
    Thanks for this routine!

I just started yesterday and it totally blasted my lats (B workout). Kinda felt like cheating with my workout being over so quickly but I guess as I step up the weight and take longer rests it will catch up. I have a few questions:

1. Standard warmup routine for each exercise? IE, pyramid 5-3-1 with 50%, 65%, and 85% of working sets (this is the standard right?)

2. Do they have to be done in this exact order? Actually I'm just concerned about doing squats then BB rows together, since I'll likely do them at the same station.

3. I know it doesn't need messing with, but I'd like to work in DB pullovers and calf raises as a finishing/auxiliary type of exercise. Pullovers as a breathing/expansion exercise that is known to help with a condition I have, and calf raises cause mine are super skinny. What do you think?
    1. Everyone has they're own way of warming up, if thats what works for you use it

No not really, you can switch the pushing and pulling exercise, but keep squats and deads first. and dont move your isolation crap up, do it last like dessert

3. If you want to add the exercises fine, just drop the arm ones preferably, and do pull overs with squats.
    my thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=11891327
    My new site http://sites.google.com/site/grim83/

It isn't that they cant see the solution.
    It is that they cant see the problem.
    -G.K. Chesterton

No training session can be wasted
    by a man who is determined to succeed.
    -Brooks Kubik

mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i like the look of this program i started it the other day. im trying to add weight every workout i started on a comfortable weight. it looks very similar to a 5x5 is there much difference ?

grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mick01 View Post
    i like the look of this program i started it the other day. im trying to add weight every workout i started on a comfortable weight. it looks very similar to a 5x5 is there much difference ?
    there is alittle bit of a similarity, theres nothing really groundbreaking about this routine, its just a spin on ripp's with a few of my own prefrences

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

Ok, time for the post about changing the routine, since everyone seems to want to sub in other exercises. I dont care if you change an exercise here or there, the routine that started this thread is just a starting point for the new guys who bitch about not being able to "really" work arms at the start of SS. Now remember if you do go switching exercises, then keep it similar, you can switch BB rows for DB rows, Yates rows, T-bar rows, anything that is a similar compound exercise that might stress the muscles a little differently is A-ok. As one guy asked earlier about if it was cool to drop the arm work for pull-overs and calf raises my answer was hell yeah, if your willing to forgo putting extra work in on the guns to work on something else then go ahead, especially if you have a smaller muscle, like calves, forearms, or traps. but keep the basic set up, also the the Lead off exercise should be a lower body one, and alternate between a quad dominant and hip dominant exercise. anyways, if you need help changing it to suit your needs just ask, but otherwise refer to this or dont **** with the damn program

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

bumps

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
    bumps
    and again

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mick01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im going to keep the same set up that you listed at the start of this thread. im not a beginner anymore and i like doing 3 full body workouts a week. i am trying to become stronger and keep adding mass what are your thoughts on these workouts ?

workout a
    sqauts 4x5
    bench4x5
    bent over rows 4x5
    barbell curls 2x10
    calfs 2x10

workout b
    deadlifts 4x5
    military press4x5
    weighted pull ups 3x6-8
    wighted chest dips3x6-8
    shrugs 2x6-8

i would rotate these workouts 3 times a week, am i on the right track with a program like this? its very similar to your one with just a little bit voulme i have being training for a couple yrs now thats why i have a little bit voulme in there. btw grim what your of spllt do you train with ?

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need another hamstring movement, deadlifts alone won't cut it. I suggest GMs or SLDLs. Aside from that it looks good.

where abouts do you think i could put a couple sets of sldl in ? maybe workout a ?

im going to keep the same set up that you listed at the start of this thread. im not a beginner anymore and i like doing 3 full body workouts a week. i am trying to become stronger and keep adding mass what are your thoughts on these workouts ?

workout a
    sqauts 4x5
    bench4x5
    bent over rows 4x5
    barbell curls 2x10
    calfs 2x10

workout b
    deadlifts 4x5
    military press4x5
    weighted pull ups 3x6-8
    wighted chest dips3x6-8
    shrugs 2x6-8

i would rotate these workouts 3 times a week, am i on the right track with a program like this? its very similar to your one with just a little bit voulme i have being training for a couple yrs now thats why i have a little bit voulme in there. btw grim what your of spllt do you train with ?
    there is a few problems i have

1. weighted dips for the chest are unnecessary, and i would switch the arm work to exercises for your weaker/smaller muscles, and to work on the balance and symmetry of your body.

2. shrugs shouldn't be needed if deadlifting form is on target.

besides that, it looks ok, the volume maybe too much or to little depending on your recovery abilities and diet. also i would do chins instead of pull ups. you may also be getting clost to the point where you'll want to start splitting it up more (i gather that anyways from the last part of your question).

As for what kind of split im using, it changes often, because my training is not for building the base, but instead to cater to specific needs. as of right now im working to bring my upper body in line with my legs, so im only hitting legs every 3 weeks, and i split my upper into a push pull setup, and hit each 2x a week.
    Originally Posted by RoccoTanno123 View Post
    You need another hamstring movement, deadlifts alone won't cut it. I suggest GMs or SLDLs. Aside from that it looks good.
    If you are performing squats and deads correctly, your hamstring development will be inline with the rest of your lower body. also i guess i should mention that when i say squat, there is only 1 way in my mind to do it correctly, atg- ass to ground squating actually involves the hams very well, and most of my development came from these 2 exercises. but because he is a bit more experienced, he can cycle between deads and SLD or Romanian Deads

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

Ok, time for the post about changing the routine, since everyone seems to want to sub in other exercises. I dont care if you change an exercise here or there, the routine that started this thread is just a starting point for the new guys who bitch about not being able to "really" work arms at the start of SS. Now remember if you do go switching exercises, then keep it similar, you can switch BB rows for DB rows, Yates rows, T-bar rows, anything that is a similar compound exercise that might stress the muscles a little differently is A-ok. As one guy asked earlier about if it was cool to drop the arm work for pull-overs and calf raises my answer was hell yeah, if your willing to forgo putting extra work in on the guns to work on something else then go ahead, especially if you have a smaller muscle, like calves, forearms, or traps. but keep the basic set up, also the the Lead off exercise should be a lower body one, and alternate between a quad dominant and hip dominant exercise. anyways, if you need help changing it to suit your needs just ask, but otherwise refer to this or dont **** with the damn program
    ok, i have a few more points, I know that i posted the original program as a beginner routine, but here is the great thing about it, you dont have to be a beginner to benefit from this kind of training, even more advanced guys who have a few years under their belt can use this for a strength cycle. another thing is that as you get bigger and stronger you must start customizing these routines to fit your needs, as i stated earlier my legs are out of proportion with my upper body, so i have to change things, as i learn more about how my own body works and responds to various stresses, like my back and legs respond well to a mix of lower and higher rep training, my chest and shoulders need to get more of a pump to grow, and my arm muscles each have different need for growth, so my routines may not always look orthodox. that is training to suit my needs though, if i did a routine like this for too long, hen my proportions would get out of wack. Also if you decide to do a split, you need to remember the 20/80 rule. 20/80 refers to 20% of your training gives 80% of your gains, and this is extremely noticeable with higher volume approaches, that may use 4 or more exercises per muscle, imo there are normally about 3 exercises per bodypart that really give me gains, so i cycle those, and dont waist time with the less growth producing exercises. anyways, i just thought i'd give you guys some more food for thought

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

BAM!!!!!! i mean bumps

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

BAM!!!!!! i mean bumps
    bump

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

i think ill just keep doing the the program you posted. i have been doing a full body workout similar to the one you posted and im gaining size and strength. later down the track i might change to a upper/lower split or a push pull. i tihnk the program you posted can work for anyone not just beginners, it has all the compound execises you need to become big and strong.

i think ill just keep doing the the program you posted. i have been doing a full body workout similar to the one you posted and im gaining size and strength. later down the track i might change to a upper/lower split or a push pull. i tihnk the program you posted can work for anyone not just beginners, it has all the compound execises you need to become big and strong.
    yup, couple that with a good diet and there you go, when your ready to progress you may like the other program i posted

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnymachine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Grim, thanks for the great routine. I just managed to spot this on the front page, and I am a beginning lifter so it's perfect. My question for you is that I am pretty darn weak at this point. Pretty skinny fat at 5'11, 162 lbs. I'm planning on taking in 2500kcal per day give or take. So I'm all set on the nutrition aspect, but I was wondering for workout B, what if I can barely do 2 chin ups? Would you recommend machine assisted chin ups, or something else? That is my only sticking point. Also, what is your opinion on pre-workout supplements for the beginning lifter? I have work from 8-2 every morning and work out an hour after work. I am usually pretty sluggish. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by skinnymachine View Post
    Hey Grim, thanks for the great routine. I just managed to spot this on the front page, and I am a beginning lifter so it's perfect. My question for you is that I am pretty darn weak at this point. Pretty skinny fat at 5'11, 162 lbs. I'm planning on taking in 2500kcal per day give or take. So I'm all set on the nutrition aspect, but I was wondering for workout B, what if I can barely do 2 chin ups? Would you recommend machine assisted chin ups, or something else? That is my only sticking point. Also, what is your opinion on pre-workout supplements for the beginning lifter? I have work from 8-2 every morning and work out an hour after work. I am usually pretty sluggish. Thanks again!
    As far as the chins go, you can use the assisted machine, or another exercise, its up to you, but if you go with another, keep it to compound movements. As far as supps, im not a huge fan, id recommend eating something once you get home, and then go workout like an hour after you eat. make sure that meal has some protein and slow burning carbs a.k.a complex carbs like yams, or whole wheat bread

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) mudrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like it! I was looking for a program with a little less volume to do this winter. I work out after work, and after time changes I start losing a little motivation. It sucks leaving work when it's dark out and it kinda drags me down a little, so hitting the weights for an hour gets hard to do.

I may drop the dips for skull crushers, but otherwise it looks like what I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    I like it! I was looking for a program with a little less volume to do this winter. I work out after work, and after time changes I start losing a little motivation. It sucks leaving work when it's dark out and it kinda drags me down a little, so hitting the weights for an hour gets hard to do.

I may drop the dips for skull crushers, but otherwise it looks like what I'm looking for.
    I'd suggest keepin the dip, but if you really want to crush your skull, go ahead, but do it on a decline bench

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

MR.Defined has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good Read

People who are starting should actually read this and learn. ABA - BAB or ABAC workouts are the only way to go unless your a hardcore body builder. And they shoud only stick to compound workouts, since they envlove more muscles at work and a higher rate of fat burning and muscle growth. Also instead of BB curls, I would put in DB/KB snatchs, but thats is my opinion.

Originally Posted by MR.Defined View Post
    People who are starting should actually read this and learn. ABA - BAB or ABAC workouts are the only way to go unless your a hardcore body builder. And they shoud only stick to compound workouts, since they envlove more muscles at work and a higher rate of fat burning and muscle growth. Also instead of BB curls, I would put in DB/KB snatchs, but thats is my opinion.
    thanks for the compliments, but if you read the op, i said it was for the whiny brat who refuses to leave out direct arm work, i wouldn't include it otherwise

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

Ok, I decided I'd make a post compiling the best of this thread so far, so without further ado

the original routine, its great for beginners and even more experienced guys
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...91&postcount=1

for nutrition look here
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=38

for the guys ready to come off of the full body routine, heres another one, its kind of based off the layne norton idea
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=51

as far as changing the routine, here are my 2 posts about it
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=65

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=72

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

bump

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

Originally Posted by BanEnds-Never View Post
    Good recommendations
    thanks Iron619 (a mod) gave some good tips for improvement from a pl standpoint, so im going to be playing with it

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

bump

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamSS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by azzuk23 View Post
    lol @ wirst curls. i hope you are joking. what about exercises that really seperate my abs and 'build teh bicept peak' haha. peace
    ^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

Anyways, nice post. Kind of similar to Starting Strength though, but with some added exercises. I'll start SS and then add the other 'accessory exercises' when I feel like I need to.
    Thanks.

Originally Posted by zarinbals9 View Post
    ^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

Anyways, nice post. Kind of similar to Starting Strength though, but with some added exercises. I'll start SS and then add the other 'accessory exercises' when I feel like I need to.
    Thanks.
    it is similar, thats the point, i was giving an alternative

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

bumpsy

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik

bump

-G.K. Chesterton

-Brooks Kubik