toned clavicle group Starboardrwr223's Avatar
    Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000)

Weightlifting group for rowing?

Ok so this year I'm going to be a junior and I want this rowing season (starts next march) to be successful. Allot of my fellow rowers have never touched a weight some have, I was curious what you guys think? Has anyone done this with other sports like get a group of guys to lift with you that are set on improving? Idk how I'm going to do this but I need some advice. I was thinking of putting a hyper focus on the muscle groups used in rowing but idk. All I know is I think this could really help my team next year.
    You will never be forgotten *Team FvrvMuscle* R.I.P
    Lifts: bent over row 170x6, Standing military press 100x10
    My Workout log/progress, please critique need advice:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=377469761#post377469761

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, man, I started rowing this last year! Am amped for my second season in college, so here's what I've got haha.

Our coach last year had us doing a few circuits for a while, then another program with high sets low reps (4-5-ish) of cleans, etc. Just be aware a lot of your lifts don't go up while you're doing circuits, although as far as muscular endurance goes, it's solid.

However, what I'm trying for this coming year is just bringing up the weight on squats and deadlifts in general (plus some leg press), as well as just general erging in the offseason. haha not sure how it'll pay off yet but I feel as strong as ever on the erg, but haven't wanted to do it too often so I don't burn out on that damn machine once school actually starts haha.

So what I've got right now is weights Mon/Wed/Fri, Cardio/Erg on Tues/Thurs/Sat, usually erging Tues/Sat and running stairs or something on the other day. Sometimes I'll just go running with a friend if they're out doing it or cycling, it's not too big a deal. But I just feel stronger on the erg, which is solid.

Lifts have increased significantly since June 12 (when I left school).

What I'm psyched for right now is deadlifts. I had never done them until school ended, on account of waiting for someone to show me proper form, but as soon as I got on these I've been in love. Think about the rowing motion - it's exactly a deadlift, except one's vertical and the other's horizontal. I've been working hard on these and I've got 'em up to 435x1, and I won't lie, I think I can feel the diff on the erg.

Once school starts the new coach'll have me on his own program, so I won't be free to lift as I want anymore, but I'm expecting modified circuits and the like with decent weight.

Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000) Starboardrwr223 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    Hey, man, I started rowing this last year! Am amped for my second season in college, so here's what I've got haha.

Our coach last year had us doing a few circuits for a while, then another program with high sets low reps (4-5-ish) of cleans, etc. Just be aware a lot of your lifts don't go up while you're doing circuits, although as far as muscular endurance goes, it's solid.

However, what I'm trying for this coming year is just bringing up the weight on squats and deadlifts in general (plus some leg press), as well as just general erging in the offseason. haha not sure how it'll pay off yet but I feel as strong as ever on the erg, but haven't wanted to do it too often so I don't burn out on that damn machine once school actually starts haha.

So what I've got right now is weights Mon/Wed/Fri, Cardio/Erg on Tues/Thurs/Sat, usually erging Tues/Sat and running stairs or something on the other day. Sometimes I'll just go running with a friend if they're out doing it or cycling, it's not too big a deal. But I just feel stronger on the erg, which is solid.

Lifts have increased significantly since June 12 (when I left school).

What I'm psyched for right now is deadlifts. I had never done them until school ended, on account of waiting for someone to show me proper form, but as soon as I got on these I've been in love. Think about the rowing motion - it's exactly a deadlift, except one's vertical and the other's horizontal. I've been working hard on these and I've got 'em up to 435x1, and I won't lie, I think I can feel the diff on the erg.

Once school starts the new coach'll have me on his own program, so I won't be free to lift as I want anymore, but I'm expecting modified circuits and the like with decent weight.
    Hey thanks man for responding I appreciate it. In the winter my coach has us do cal circuits like body weight stuff be he never has us do any heavy lifting. SO I was thinking of making my own fall mini program for some of my fellow rowers to come in after to school and use are totally underused weight room to do some heavy lifts! Ill tell you newb gains drop erg scores fast and thats what some of the guys I row with need. I was so happy to see me drop almost 30 seconds on the erg after lifting heavy for a while. Anyways Idk if I want to get to crazy with the lifts I just want to do the main muscle groups that you use during rowing just so I don't scare any guys off, I mean idk how many of them would want to follow my split. So heres what I was thinking for like a mini split to follow:

Lower back and legs day: So things like squats, leg press, deadlifts, etc. Maybe put some ab work in on this day since that seams to help somewhat in rowing.
    Upper back and shoulders day: So bent over rows, upright rows, pull ups, lat lifts, military shoulder press, etc.

And alternate like that. This will be my third season as a highschool rower thus I want to do way better than the past season and I want everyone in tip top shape, not just myself.

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm so amped for next season right now. Took a long time for our novice group to get everything right, but it all just clicked over the last month, and after the last 2-3 races I can't wait to give it all a decent shot.

Something like Rippetoe's with Pull-Ups wouldn't be a terrible idea for the new guys, but here's what I've been doing, me and a teammate have been on it with pretty great gains in the weight room. Gained about 10 lbs. (up to 205-206 at 6'2") this summer.

Monday is Upper Body/Abs
    Wednesday is Lower Body/Back
    Friday is Upper Body/Abs

Then the next week, Monday is Lower Body, with Chest/Triceps/whatever on Wed and LB again on Fri.

I alternate squat and deadlift days, so if LB Day 1 is Squats the next LB day is Deadlifts followed by Leg Press, always done Leg Press with Deadlifts, just a choice I guess. But ever since I did the leg press too on the other day my squat gains shot up, I haven't stalled all summer, it's been great.

haha just what I've been doing.
    Word of advice, if you wanna motivate high school guys to go to the weight room, throw in some casual bicep training on the days you do back work. Senior year of XC in HS we all went in the offseason before track, and that's what our guys liked to do and improve on, 'cause it's their main concept of the weight room and they feel they can gain on it outside of the sport, too. haha help keep their interest I guess.

I think you got a pretty good idea of what you wanna do, so good luck man, just eat lots and reap in the gains!

haha you're like the only other rower I've met on here outside of an erger I met a long time ago, so keep me posted once the season starts, I'm just gearing up for our initial 6k erg test haha.

KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)
    I coach rowing.

Weight training for rowing is common practice. Focus on squats, cleans, deadlifts and bench pull. Full body programs tend to be the norm but splits can be used.

Some coaches coach for a body dominant drive, I coach very much for a leg dominant drive phase. As such our weight training programs are fairly squat focussed, and if you are not doing any other activities at the moment (just lifting) then you should do some form of squat twice a week minimum. Four times a week maximum.

Originally Posted by flipnch1nese7 View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm so amped for next season right now. Took a long time for our novice group to get everything right, but it all just clicked over the last month, and after the last 2-3 races I can't wait to give it all a decent shot.

Something like Rippetoe's with Pull-Ups wouldn't be a terrible idea for the new guys, but here's what I've been doing, me and a teammate have been on it with pretty great gains in the weight room. Gained about 10 lbs. (up to 205-206 at 6'2") this summer.

Monday is Upper Body/Abs
    Wednesday is Lower Body/Back
    Friday is Upper Body/Abs

Then the next week, Monday is Lower Body, with Chest/Triceps/whatever on Wed and LB again on Fri.

I alternate squat and deadlift days, so if LB Day 1 is Squats the next LB day is Deadlifts followed by Leg Press, always done Leg Press with Deadlifts, just a choice I guess. But ever since I did the leg press too on the other day my squat gains shot up, I haven't stalled all summer, it's been great.

haha just what I've been doing.
    Word of advice, if you wanna motivate high school guys to go to the weight room, throw in some casual bicep training on the days you do back work. Senior year of XC in HS we all went in the offseason before track, and that's what our guys liked to do and improve on, 'cause it's their main concept of the weight room and they feel they can gain on it outside of the sport, too. haha help keep their interest I guess.

I think you got a pretty good idea of what you wanna do, so good luck man, just eat lots and reap in the gains!

haha you're like the only other rower I've met on here outside of an erger I met a long time ago, so keep me posted once the season starts, I'm just gearing up for our initial 6k erg test haha.
    Sounds pretty solid man thanks. Abs and biceps might be the hook like you said. I just have to get people to lift heavy, idk how many of these guys have deadlifted before...
    Originally Posted by KiloNewton View Post
    I coach rowing.

Weight training for rowing is common practice. Focus on squats, cleans, deadlifts and bench pull. Full body programs tend to be the norm but splits can be used.

Some coaches coach for a body dominant drive, I coach very much for a leg dominant drive phase. As such our weight training programs are fairly squat focussed, and if you are not doing any other activities at the moment (just lifting) then you should do some form of squat twice a week minimum. Four times a week maximum.
    Hey man I appreciate advice coming from a coaches perspective. My coach does favor the legs when it comes to power but he never implements any heavy lifts just basic body weight stuff. I want to see if I can't get everyone to squat with me to really build some power.