TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000)

trying to bulk after recovering from anorexia?

OK so I just recently (3 weeks ago when I started my beginner weight lifting program) started eating properly after losing 80 pounds by starving myself (less than 1200 calories a day for months) I now realize how incredibly stupid this was of course, especially at my age, but that's besides the point. I'm trying to slowly clean bulk right now to put on muscle mass and have been eating around 2300 calories a day. It doesn't look like I gained any fat, but the scale seems to be going up a little too fast. Is this because I seriously ****ed up my metabolism from starving myself? I know I definitely slowed down my metabolism but should it be fixed by clean bulking? right now I weigh 124 lbs at 5"9

Kinetic Energy ftw RpplesonFrmiSea's Avatar
    RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Typically when starting a bulk after a cut (which you could consider your crash diet to be a very very long, poorly constructed and dangerous one), you want to gradually ramp up your calories week by week until you reach your goal, the point being to give your body time to become accustomed to having and using more energy. Your body has become used to using small amounts of food to try and meet your energy needs, so by giving it just a little more each week (1200-->1500-->1800-->2100-->2300), it can learn to use the additional energy efficiently, as it did before. If you're unhappy with the way the scale moves, reduce the calories a bit until you see the gains you want in the time intervals you've allotted.

best of luck ^_^, and congratulations on taking these steps to get over your ED.
    Mortality isn't an issue if you're indestructible.

TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RpplesonFrmiSea View Post
    Typically when starting a bulk after a cut (which you could consider your crash diet to be a very very long, poorly constructed and dangerous one), you want to gradually ramp up your calories week by week until you reach your goal, the point being to give your body time to become accustomed to having and using more energy. Your body has become used to using small amounts of food to try and meet your energy needs, so by giving it just a little more each week (1200-->1500-->1800-->2100-->2300), it can learn to use the additional energy efficiently, as it did before. If you're unhappy with the way the scale moves, reduce the calories a bit until you see the gains you want in the time intervals you've allotted.

best of luck ^_^, and congratulations on taking these steps to get over your ED.
    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. Repped

DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've recovered from it. I started by including metric $hitloads of healthy fats. IE eating PB with a spoon and eating until satisfied. Also simple sugars as well. Those two things helped stimulate my appetite. I only worked out when I had the energy because I was so weak that walking was difficult at one point.

And my body didn't really have singnals to show I needed food either....but after I started killing PB my metabolism ramped back up pretty quick. Hope that helps. and good luck my friend

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had anorexia, don't be scared of what you think is too fast of a weight gain, depending on your situation you may actually need to do some actual body repair as opposed to just lean mass gaining, however the important thing now is to keep on track and try not to be so anal over things for the time being, maybe try not to think in terms of calories or 'clean' - like you mentioned your body is in a mixed up state and things will even out eventually.
    Last edited by Alyion; 09-04-2009 at 09:51 AM.