getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please explain how we eat clean when whey protein isn't a clean food?

I posted a recipe on another website, a calorie counting website in the UK, I am beginning to wish I hadn't!

I said I was eating clean and had cravings for something sweet, found the recipe for protein flapjacks and made some up. That I wanted to share the recipe for those who may be interested. Fine you might think but oh no!

I then got asked this?

"I just have to ask one thing. How does eating a lot of whey protein fit with 'eating clean'? My understanding of what people mean when they say they're 'eating clean' is that they are eating foods as unprocessed as possible. But whey protein is totally artificial!

I just don't get it! The oats - fine. Processed only to the point where they're edible. The peanut butter - fine - smooshed up nuts maybe with oil and salt but not much else. The honey - fine - not processed so much as 'refined'. And then the whey protein! You don't get much more processed than that."

Followed by:-

"If weight training is a reason to eat highly processed food (whey) that goes totally against your clean-eating principles then perhaps the weight-training could be scrapped?
    Otherwise - perhaps some normal food could be substituted e.g. low fat Greek yoghurt, goats milk, freshly steamed soya beans. It cannot be the case that anyone needs such massive amounts of protein that they couldn't get them from normal food otherwise the human species would have died out."

There were more! Alot more. Some pretty nasty attacks. There is alot of it going on at the moment, attacks and jokes about whey protein, eating 6 egg whites etc which is a shame.

Did my best to answer them but would be interested in what you guys/gals would say if someone made those comments to you?

Lisa

phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd have to ask if you are currently in the twilight zone.

:P
    Sheiko? My journey to 1,500+ @ 165

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167881761

Keep On Getting Strong

Best Gym Lifts

475/315/610 @ 165

nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by getsetgo View Post
    My understanding of what people mean when they say they're 'eating clean' is that they are eating foods as unprocessed as possible.
    RRRRRRRRRROFLMAO!! So cottage cheese, yogurt, bread etc are not clean foods? They are processed! In bb people describe clean foods as foods that are usually low in sat fats, transfats, salts, carbs etc.
    "Everyone wants to be a bodybuilding, but no one wants to eat this whole chicken................ But i do"

"Light Weight baby"

Dude what is that piece of string hanging from your shoulder?? Wait thats your arm!

Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nombie View Post
    RRRRRRRRRROFLMAO!! So cottage cheese, yogurt, bread etc are not clean foods? They are processed! In bb people describe clean foods as foods that are usually low in sat fats, transfats, salts, carbs etc.
    this

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    processed sugar not necessarily carbs

oats= clean cereal
    fruit loops= dirtier cereal
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

i never understood why some people assume natural = healthy and processed = unhealthy...
    ★ Go Habs ★

♡ poutine crew ♡

Indochino $50 off: REFERRAL5045G6WU3

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If weight training is a reason to eat highly processed food (whey) that goes totally against your clean-eating principles then perhaps the weight-training could be scrapped?
    Or, BS terms like "clean foods" should be scrapped.

OP, can you give us a link?
    Who do men say that I am?

getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getsetgo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did try and explain this but as you can imagine it didn't go down to well.

I said:-

"At its most basic, clean eating is making the healthiest food choices possible, opting for fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean cuts of meat instead of processed and refined foods. To eat clean, there are a few easy principles to follow.
    Clean Eating Principles

Eating a mini-meal every two to three hours (5 to 6 small meals per day)

Combining lean proteins and complex carbs at every meal

Avoiding all over-processed and refined foods (especially sugar, white rice, and white flour)

Avoiding saturated and trans fat, instead consuming healthy fats

Avoiding soda and other sugary juices and drinks

Avoiding high-calorie, zero nutrient foods (i.e., junk food)"

I am pretty new to this but think what I said was right or maybe it wasn't?

Lisa

Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    Or, BS terms like "clean foods" should be scrapped.

OP, can you give us a link?
    Can't give you link, unless you are a paid member you can't read the forums.

Lisa

roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roger79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Red face

Can't give you link, unless you are a paid member you can't read the forums.

Lisa
    So you actually had to PAY to go through all that BS?!

I'd ask for a refund!
    ★ Go Habs ★

♡ poutine crew ♡

Indochino $50 off: REFERRAL5045G6WU3

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Lisa
    Not all of this is true tho, but I get your point.
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Originally Posted by daYDreAmErX View Post
    Not all of this is true tho, but I get your point.
    The majority of people on the website don't do weight training/body building and are just there eating whatever they like but keeping to calorie allowances so wouldn't have much knowledge of the nutrition side of this. I just put down what I thought were the basics of "clean eating".

Come on then so where did I go wrong lol might get asked again! God forbid!

This is definately a learning curve

Lisa

Registered User ptflyforatallguy's Avatar
    ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly this dirty and clean **** needs to come to an end.

the over simplifying of such a broad array of macronutrients is purely asinine and should not be practiced by any individual attempting to become versed in fitness or bodybuilding.

I emplore you to go to a profesional bodybuilder or dietary nutritionist and start talking about dirty vs. clean foods. honestly take a closer look at what you put into your body and how it synthesizes it then is processed through metabolism. all the information is readly available that to the advent of the web and you should have no excuse to research it and stop believing such misconceptions that you so often hear thrown arround by more ignorant individuals.
    Every facet of our lives are affected by the mechanism through which we negotiate the direction of our existence. Accounting for as many variables as possible we can engender an outcome that is favorable to our desires. Be the master of your reality or fall inept to the wayside. - "Benjamin Monson"

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eating a mini-meal every two to three hours (5 to 6 small meals per day) not necessary

Combining lean proteins and complex carbs at every meal and fats

Avoiding all over-processed and refined foods (especially sugar, white rice, and white flour) it depends, it's not necessary... good advice, but you don't have to cut it all

Avoiding saturated and trans fat, instead consuming healthy fats saturated fats are good for you

Avoiding soda and other sugary juices and drinks good advice, again it depends... one can every now and then won't kill you

Avoiding high-calorie, zero nutrient foods (i.e., junk food)" see previous point
    Here's what I meant.
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Originally Posted by daYDreAmErX View Post
    Here's what I meant.
    Thanks!

nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did try and explain this but as you can imagine it didn't go down to well.

I said:-

"At its most basic, clean eating is making the healthiest food choices possible, opting for fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean cuts of meat instead of processed and refined foods. To eat clean, there are a few easy principles to follow.
    Clean Eating Principles

Eating a mini-meal every two to three hours (5 to 6 small meals per day)

Combining lean proteins and complex carbs at every meal

Avoiding all over-processed and refined foods (especially sugar, white rice, and white flour)

Avoiding saturated and trans fat, instead consuming healthy fats

Avoiding soda and other sugary juices and drinks

Avoiding high-calorie, zero nutrient foods (i.e., junk food)"

Lisa

You have lost me a little lisa, what attracted me to the post was "whey protein isn't a clean food" so have we brought to your attention the general definition of "clean food"? What you have described on your list of things to avoid doesn't make sense to me, and worrys me a little.

* Fresh fruit juices such as grape fruit juice are loaded with sugar yet I drink it every day during my cutting cycle.

* Why are refined foods bad???? I eat white jasmine rice 3 times a day! (im half thai)

* Why mini meals? why every 2-3 hours? If i eat traditional 3 meals a day is that bad? (although I don't)
    "Everyone wants to be a bodybuilding, but no one wants to eat this whole chicken................ But i do"

"Light Weight baby"

Dude what is that piece of string hanging from your shoulder?? Wait thats your arm!

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ptflyforatallguy View Post

the over simplifying of such a broad array of macronutrients is purely asinine and should not be practiced by any individual attempting to become versed in fitness or bodybuilding.

I emplore you to go to a profesional bodybuilder or dietary nutritionist and start talking about dirty vs. clean foods. honestly take a closer look at what you put into your body and how it synthesizes it then is processed through metabolism. all the information is readly available that to the advent of the web and you should have no excuse to research it and stop believing such misconceptions that you so often hear thrown arround by more ignorant individuals.
    This. People on this site torture themselves with their diets when all that's needed is a little common sense.
    Who do men say that I am?

I completely understand and agree with everything you said!

I didn't state on the UK site that me "eating clean" was for weight training or anything else come to that, I just said I was eating clean! As i said its just a calorie counting website and the people there like me have little or no knowledge of the nutrition side of bodybuilding and I certainly would never claim to.

The weight training thing came up because someone else bought it into the topic of conversation, alot of them have been following Tosca Reno and her "clean eating" advise which goes along the lines of what I put.

Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eating "clean" is subjective each person has thier own dietary needs so eating so called clean is not a black and white issue.
    Not sure how else to put it?

You have lost me a little lisa, what attracted me to the post was "whey protein isn't a clean food" so have we brought to your attention the general definition of "clean food"? What you have described on your list of things to avoid doesn't make sense to me, and worrys me a little.

* Fresh fruit juices such as grape fruit juice are loaded with sugar yet I drink it every day during my cutting cycle.

* Why are refined foods bad???? I eat white jasmine rice 3 times a day! (im half thai)

* Why mini meals? why every 2-3 hours? If i eat traditional 3 meals a day is that bad? (although I don't)
    I have never stated that whey protein is clean or not clean I was just asking you guys what your response would be if someone asked you what i had been asked. Just from a curiosity point of view? I pulled those pointers down from the internet and there are many different sites that say different things, after doing a general search for clean eating. Clean eating to them means something completely different to you guys and your way of life. I only asked here because of the whey protein side of it.

ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Atropa View Post
    Eating "clean" is subjective each person has thier own dietary needs so eating so called clean is not a black and white issue.
    Not sure how else to put it?
    I believe this is where we all differ because the common misnomers of "clean" and "dirty" are often variable in accordance with our personal social influences and what we perceive to be true or cohesive to our dietary guidelines.
    Every facet of our lives are affected by the mechanism through which we negotiate the direction of our existence. Accounting for as many variables as possible we can engender an outcome that is favorable to our desires. Be the master of your reality or fall inept to the wayside. - "Benjamin Monson"

But in short you can call the sky pink all you want and believe it but it doesn't change the reality of the matter that it is truely blue.

I believe this is where we all differ because the common misnomers of "clean" and "dirty" are often variable in accordance with our personal social influences and what we perceive to be true or cohesive to our dietary guidelines.
    Good point

thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thiussat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The organic food craze is a scam. Studies have proven that "organic foods" have no more nutrient value than traditional farm raised foods. At the microscopic level, macro-nutrients are all the same; a chemical is a chemical, it doesn't matter if it came from a wild berry or one genetically modified and grown with tons of pesticide on a farm.

Did anyone see the Penn & Teller episode where they went to an organic food market and did a blind taste test of organically grown foods vs. traditional foods? They put organic fruit on one side and traditional on the other and asked the participants to guess which one is organic. Over 70% of these organic people said that traditional foods were organic!

As for Whey: your body can't tell the difference in Whey protein in a bottle vs. Whey in natural milk or in cheese.

If you are rich and can afford to buy organic food, and pay 2-3 times the price of "normal" food, then by all means go ahead.

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    this entire thread makes me want to blow my head off