Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Thread: Keto Book?

Stats: 6'5", 247 lbs
    pwillems is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit pwillems's BodySpace

Keto Book?

Hi All,

I am new to Keto and Body Building in general, so please be gentle.

I am trying to wade through all the nutritional (mis-)information out there to figure out a training/eating plan to lose body fat hopefully without losing muscle mass. I have seen a fair bit about the Keto diet and am trying to determin if this is for me.

My stats are as follows:
    6'5"
    227 lbs
    fat% Around 25% (This is just by BIA, not really sure how reliable)

I have been hitting the weights hard and sticking to a moderate calorie, very high protein diet for around two weeks now, and results seem promissing. I always start the session with around 20 mins moderate cardio. I have gained around 5 lbs but my waist line is definitely decreasing ( gym shorts lose ).

But I want MORE.

Is the Keto diet a good choice for me? I have found references to a book about it... where can I get hold of this book?

Thanks.

Stats: 6'0", 169 lbs
    masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000) masamune is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit masamune's BodySpace
    congratulations on the progress thus far!
    this forum has loads of information, including logs, sample diets and is very friendly to the noobs, so you've come to the right place.
    i believe the book you are referring to is Lyle McDonald's 'The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner'. you can find it on amazon and various other sites, or you can illegally download it. personally, i recommend getting the physical book, as it's very useful, and it's a lot easier to skip through books on the computer. also, he deserves the money.
    re: is keto for you, you'll have to try it and see. keto is not for everyone. some people find it ridiculously hard, and others find it totally natural. it won't hurt you to try a month or two and see for yourself, in fact, you may fall in love with it like so many people have.

BodyPoints: 27033
    Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Eileen has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Eileen's BodySpace
    The book is The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. You can buy it from his website www.bodyrecomposition.com.

Yes, keto should work well for you.

Cliff notes version; eat 1g of protein per pound of LEAN mass, which is 30% of your total calories. Allow 20g for green veggie carbs, and the rest of your calories (approx 65%) will come from fat. As a general rule, you should be eating nearly the same number of grams of protein and fat in each meal. Meals are based on whole eggs, red meat, oily fish, chicken, lots and lots of green veg, butter, olive oil, cheese, nuts and seeds.

Whey after lifting, real food the rest of the time.

Do two straight weeks of keto, then do a carb-up, where you eat around maintenance level of calories (probably about 13 cals per pound of total weight), with the same amount of protein, as little fat as possible and the rest from clean carbs. Ignore the stickies about carb-ups unless you are prepping for a competition. If fat loss if your priority, keep it short and conservative.

In the gym, lift hard and heavy. Take it easy with cardio (LISS only) for the first couple of weeks, then resume cardio as normal.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders