187maccmoss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee Hurts when I squat

So I started lifting 2 weeks ago. I temporatily only have dumbells. I have strong legs (I think) and I grabbed 40lbs on each arm (heaviest dumbell I have) and when I squated my right knee hurt when I was squating down.

Have any idea what it might be ? If I should continue squats or ask a doctor ?

I don't feel it as much if I lighten the weight.

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 187maccmoss View Post
    So I started lifting 2 weeks ago. I temporatily only have dumbells. I have strong legs (I think) and I grabbed 40lbs on each arm (heaviest dumbell I have) and when I squated my right knee hurt when I was squating down.

for the time being it sounds like you have done your own medicine, if it hurts, don't do it, or at least lighten up till it goes away as you have done. you might consider posting a video of you squatting because without seeing it, it's really hard to tell. underlying problems, flexibility, muscle imbalances, poor technique, body structure, etc. could all influence why you are feeling pain. be careful, i have patellar tendonitis that nags me to this day from being really stupid about squats and not listening to my body when i was younger. train hard, but train smart.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have to agree with this ^^^ i love squats but cant do them no more cause it feels like my tendons are tearing off the bone. even when i squat without weight i have same feeling
    MMC 2009 Conan

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Which part of your knees hurt? For over a year I used to have a similar problem where the region just above my patella would hurt like hell every time I squatted. I had to stop squatting altogether. I just finally figured out about two months ago that the problem was a muscle imbalance. I had relatively thick outer quads but shameful teardrops and whaddayaknow, the teardrops are responsible for knee stability. After about two weeks of doing heavy low-rep bulgarian split squats, the pain stopped and my squat poundages went up. My teardrop still looks pretty pathetic (likely because I only use low reps) but I am completely pain free and my knee feels a lot more stable.

I always assumed squats target the whole quads but for me it somehow targets primarily the outer quads, which resulted in the imbalance. Your situation sounds similar to mine since you say you have strong legs because at some point a muscle imbalance will start to cause pain when you go heavy enough.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You might be leaning forward while squatting, which generally puts a lot more pressure on your knees. If you are sitting back into your squats and pushing from the heel/mid-foot and yet still experiencingi pain, then the pain is probably an injury that needs a medical opinion.

RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaveBDK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

uhh, how does your knee hurt?

When it bends on the way down...or the push on the way up?

I would say its a torn tendon, but you would probably feel it without lifting.

I'd say lay off of it for a week or two, and then try it again, if it hurts stop for the day, then wait another week, and if it continues to hurt after a couple weeks rest, you might want to see a doctor.

Usually if its a little tweak, it should go away, but DONT LIFT ON IT OR USE IT NOW, because it's only going to put more stress on it and make it worse, and could eventually lead to permanent, long-term damage.

EDIT: I dont think hes doing squats...i think hes doing lunges.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are putting too much weight on your toes then your knees will hurt sometimes.

Try keeping the weight over your heels and this should help.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FatboysFatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

if you can't post a video of you doing squats, can you at least detail in specifics... like feet both facing straight, or outward to about a 25 degree angle, when going down, butt poked out and going until legs are about 25% from being fully folded. you know... not necessarily like I wrote it, but justin specific.

hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't forget to do a really good warm up before squating. Cold knee's will get injured easier.