khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training 51 year old women need some advice

so this women happens to be my mom. i hope to get certified as a personal trainer within a year but when my mom asked me to train her i wasnt about to say no. she is 51 and she hopes to lose about 25lbs over 5-6 months which is my opinion is do-able. we were out in the garage then some cardio upstairs on the sta. bike. any advice/diff techniques you think i can incorparate to help maximize her results? thank you
    "Fifty-two weeks...Make'em count"

khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) khaos32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    workout in the garage*

NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by khaos32 View Post
    workout in the garage*
    What equipment do you have?

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Circuits, intervals, nutrition.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

a weider machine which really can only do chest press/flyes, and lat pulldowns. also i have some light dumbells that she uses.

and yes nutrition is lookin good, i already told her ur main weight lose is gunna come from ur nutrition and cardio

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    a weider machine which really can only do chest press/flyes, and lat pulldowns. also i have some light dumbells that she uses.

and yes nutrition is lookin good, i already told her ur main weight lose is gunna come from ur nutrition and cardio
    Brah.... Teach yo' Momma to lift like you lift. 51 ain't even a little bit old. Seriously now.... You young'uns crack me up. (my kids are older than you btw) LOL!

Do not make her do little pink dumbells. After all, she carried your toddler body around when you weighed a heck of a lot more than a little pink db. Women are built to carry kids, so women can lift. Even when they are more senior.

Teach her the basic compound lifts (deads, squats, pushups, pulls) with light enough weights to not hurt her but enough to challenge her. Put her in a nice lifting program that doesn't do all that much cardio and plyos. (talk about hard on a body) Don't rely on cardio to do the weight loss. Do it through nutrition. Get her walking and increasing her NEAT as a start. Teach her the correct form on all the lifts so that she doesn't get hurt and teach her how to feed herself correctly.

Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    Brah.... Teach yo' Momma to lift like you lift. 51 ain't even a little bit old. Seriously now.... You young'uns crack me up. (my kids are older than you btw) LOL!

Do not make her do little pink dumbells. After all, she carried your toddler body around when you weighed a heck of a lot more than a little pink db. Women are built to carry kids, so women can lift. Even when they are more senior.

Teach her the basic compound lifts (deads, squats, pushups, pulls) with light enough weights to not hurt her but enough to challenge her. Put her in a nice lifting program that doesn't do all that much cardio and plyos. (talk about hard on a body) Don't rely on cardio to do the weight loss. Do it through nutrition. Get her walking and increasing her NEAT as a start. Teach her the correct form on all the lifts so that she doesn't get hurt and teach her how to feed herself correctly.

yeah i want to but until she gets a gym membership this is what i have to work with, but yeah i want to start doing the compound lifts aswell. and i focus on nutrition with her more then anything cuz thats the most important thing

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.ILL View Post
    Circuits, intervals, nutrition.
    In theory, maybe.

In practice, you can't do circuit training with deconditioned people because circuit training relies on the premise of short rest times, frequent exercise switches.

Deconditioned people gas out constantly, everything is a challenge for them (I don't even mean the exercises themselves, I mean getting up and walking from one exercise to the next), their work capacity sucks and so does their pain tolerance usually, especially if they're women.

So basically, you end up having to do conventional sets and resting after each exercise. It kills the point of doing a circuit.

Also, newbies flat out don't understand the concept of resting at the end of a circuit instead of after every exercise.

Remember: Almost everything you do with them is "aerobic".
    You may think it's strength training but chances are, they can't feel schit in their muscles. All they know is they're out of breath at the end, and that's why they insist on resting after each set even if you go from say, a leg exercise to an upper body exercise.

In theory, no rest would be required. In practice, it is, because the limiting factor is a person's aerobic conditioning.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 08-28-2009 at 12:41 AM.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah i want to but until she gets a gym membership this is what i have to work with, but yeah i want to start doing the compound lifts aswell. and i focus on nutrition with her more then anything cuz thats the most important thing
    Okay sweetie then do the compound lift theory with homemade gym stuff or body weight. Same concept though, right? There are a number of really good strength type programs already written, so get one and put her through it.

Check out this guy's site for some really cool ideas.

http://www.rosstraining.com/

Not saying to kill your Momma but don't do the traditional "pink dumbells and cardio" thing that so many dude trainers do for women. Women should train like men and do better when they do. The cardio (esp) is a killer for older women as it just pounds the sh!t outta the joints and causes injury and demotivates. Study a little bit about how NEAT works in fat loss goals and babysit her NEAT more than her cardio. Teach her to lift in a nice relaxed way with some homemade gym stuff and that way it is sustainable and doable for her and she'll actually see results.

Good luck. Sounds like this is gonna be fun

mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeylhc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Train my mom aged 49 also. Doing full body circuits 15-20 repetitions 3-4x a week. Do circuits then cardio on off days 20-30 minutes or longer depending on her goals/current fitness.
    NSCA CPT