TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10) TruePatience is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squatting and Knee Replacements?

How long have you all been squatting? Have any if you ladies ever had knee replacement or surgery due to squatting heavy weights? I am a bit concerned because I have read articles of bodybuilding competitors having multiple knee replacements and also spinal surgeries. I don't know if it is possible for pro lifters to engage in squatting with improper form so that can't be the reason why they needed knee replacements. Could be the pressure to the knees throughout the years of hard work. Have any of you all had to stop squatting heavy weights for a while maybe weeks to months because of knee pain?

I am more cautious now when squatting heavy weights because I won't have the funds to get knee replacement since they cost between $30,000 to $50,000!
    Last edited by TruePatience; 10-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TruePatience View Post
    I am a bit concerned because I have read articles of bodybuilding competitors having multiple knee replacements
    Bodybuilding competitors squat weights you can't even imagine, with volume you can't imagine, often/usually/always because they're full of drugs and able to place tremendous stresses on their bodys that naturals just can't.

Assuming proper care is taken and attention to form, your knees aren't just going to explode. Worry about it if/when you start having actual problems is my advice.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In general, squatting to depth (not necessarily ass to grass, but whatever the full ROM or close to full ROM for your structure would be) is good for your knees. It strengthens the quads, which stabilize the knee, as well as the glutes and hip adductors/abductors, which will also aid in stabilization. What you're seeing is the disconnect between what it takes to be healthy and what it takes to be good. The number of high level athletes I know who have been under the knife is absurd. However, for the majority of them, if you ask them where health benefits versus performance lie on their priority list, generally performance is much, much higher. Look up Goldman's Dilemma for the extreme version of this. Squats in general are good for your knees. Ignoring that your knees are already hurting, wrapping your knees with a 3.0m casting wrap so tight that you lose feeling in your feet, and then putting 800+lbs on your back...maybe not so much. However, for the guys who want to be good...sometimes that's what it takes. So the moral of the story here is that it's not really a fair comparison to compare the average person whose primary goal is to be healthy with the high level athlete whose primary goal is to maximize performance at all costs.
    Last edited by VO2Maxima; 11-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've had a knee replacement (unrelated to squatting, it was a soccer injury) and I squat heavy AF multiple times a week. It's fine.