dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb How much Omega 3/6/9?

I'm taking puritanspride Omega 3-6-9, with the following facts per 3 capsules- Proprietary Blend

(Organic Flaxseed Oil, Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil,
    Borage Seed Oil)
    Typical Fatty Acid Profile:

Omega-3 **

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) (9-9.9%) (270-297 mg) **

Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (6-6.6%) (180-198 mg) **

Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) (22.5-32.5%) (675-975 mg) **

Omega-6 **

Linoleic Acid (16.9-26%) (507-780 mg) **

Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) (2.4-2.6%) (72-78 mg) **

Omega-9 **

Oleic Acid (6.75-14.8%) (202-444 mg) **

+++++How much should I be taking? Am I getting too much of something (O6 or O9, other) if I take enough for a good Omega 3 dose?

Thanks in advance!

Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000) Obnoxious123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Next time just get an Omega-3, you get a lot of omega-6 from the diet anyways, things such as peanut butter/almond butter (and the nuts) have a large amount.

Most people get around 3g of omega-3's a day - so that means (based on your mg ranges - are you just guessing at the amounts or is that how they list it?) you should be taking 6 a day.

dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutchgrad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Obnoxious123 View Post
    Next time just get an Omega-3, you get a lot of omega-6 from the diet anyways, things such as peanut butter/almond butter (and the nuts) have a large amount.

Most people get around 3g of omega-3's a day - so that means (based on your mg ranges - are you just guessing at the amounts or is that how they list it?) you should be taking 6 a day.
    Hey - Thanks for the response. That's how they list the amounts, and again, those amounts are per 3 capsules. If you got another sec, confirm that you meant 6 capsules, or 6 doses?

johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dutchgrad View Post
    I'm taking puritanspride Omega 3-6-9, with the following facts per 3 capsules- Proprietary Blend

Borage Seed Oil)

Omega-3 **

Omega-6 **

Omega-9 **

+++++How much should I be taking? Am I getting too much of something (O6 or O9, other) if I take enough for a good Omega 3 dose?

Thanks in advance!
    You are taking a very good product. I have seen many lab reports on the Puritan Pride stuff, and it's very impressive, especially for the cost. As far as Omega 3 to 6 ratio..let me just give you a few tips. The 3 to 6 ratio should be 1 to 1 or 1 to 2. How do you ensure that is in place in your diet? It's simple. Beware of corn oil, canola, safflower oil , and other polyunsaturated fats when cooking or consuming fatty foods. Polys are very unstable under high heat, oxidize and go rancid - basically just turn into free radicals in your body. They are also predominantly Omega 6 heavy.

Cook with monosatured fats up to medium heat like extra virgin olive oil, and that problem will be solved. If you are going to cook on high heat, cook with butter or extra virgin cocunut oil..yes I said butter. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation about saturated fats out there, and a total lack of understanding of how they help your body (enhance immunity, needed for proper utilization of EFA's, and give your cell membranes stiffness so they can perform properly.

As far as foods go. you cant beat wild caught salmon. Don't get the farm raised crap, they feed those salmon grain, and have to dye them orange to get them to even look right. Wid caught salmon eat their natural diet of Krill, which is where they get there high Omega 3 concentration. 8 ox 2x a week will do wonders. You can also sprinkle flax seeds on all your yogurt, shakes, etc. Your body will eventually convert it to DHA in the end which is what matters. 2 tablespoons a day and you'll be fine. Omega 9's are the monosaturated ones. They are not essential, but do some really good things for you (like increase your HDL)...go with cashews, almonds, and olive oil for that.

Hope that helps, sorry if the message is a little incoherent, I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

Best of luck to you,
    JM

Originally Posted by johhnymeadows View Post
    You are taking a very good product. I have seen many lab reports on the Puritan Pride stuff, and it's very impressive, especially for the cost. As far as Omega 3 to 6 ratio..let me just give you a few tips. The 3 to 6 ratio should be 1 to 1 or 1 to 2. How do you ensure that is in place in your diet? It's simple. Beware of corn oil, canola, safflower oil , and other polyunsaturated fats when cooking or consuming fatty foods. Polys are very unstable under high heat, oxidize and go rancid - basically just turn into free radicals in your body. They are also predominantly Omega 6 heavy.

Cook with monosatured fats up to medium heat like extra virgin olive oil, and that problem will be solved. If you are going to cook on high heat, cook with butter or extra virgin cocunut oil..yes I said butter. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation about saturated fats out there, and a total lack of understanding of how they help your body (enhance immunity, needed for proper utilization of EFA's, and give your cell membranes stiffness so they can perform properly.

As far as foods go. you cant beat wild caught salmon. Don't get the farm raised crap, they feed those salmon grain, and have to dye them orange to get them to even look right. Wid caught salmon eat their natural diet of Krill, which is where they get there high Omega 3 concentration. 8 ox 2x a week will do wonders. You can also sprinkle flax seeds on all your yogurt, shakes, etc. Your body will eventually convert it to DHA in the end which is what matters. 2 tablespoons a day and you'll be fine. Omega 9's are the monosaturated ones. They are not essential, but do some really good things for you (like increase your HDL)...go with cashews, almonds, and olive oil for that.

Hope that helps, sorry if the message is a little incoherent, I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

Best of luck to you,
    JM

Thanks JM, not incoherent at all. Got plenty of almonds and natural peanut butter involved, and I do like fish, so I'll try to stick to the good ones when I get 'em. I'm not quite up to the flax on yogurt bit, but that may come soon enough. For now when I'm cookin' in the pan I'll make sure I use my evoo or smart balance when I'm cooking medium heat (chicken etc.), and butter (which I'm glad to have an excuse to use when cooking steak) at the high heats. Btw, if anyone hasn't used butter on their steaks (in moderation) THAT IS the reason restaurant steaks taste amazing without the seasoning you use at home (though I'm sure many of you, like me, prefer the steaks you make yourselves over the restaurants). REPS to JM, thanks again.

johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johhnymeadows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks JM, not incoherent at all. Got plenty of almonds and natural peanut butter involved, and I do like fish, so I'll try to stick to the good ones when I get 'em. I'm not quite up to the flax on yogurt bit, but that may come soon enough. For now when I'm cookin' in the pan I'll make sure I use my evoo or smart balance when I'm cooking medium heat (chicken etc.), and butter (which I'm glad to have an excuse to use when cooking steak) at the high heats. Btw, if anyone hasn't used butter on their steaks (in moderation) THAT IS the reason restaurant steaks taste amazing without the seasoning you use at home (though I'm sure many of you, like me, prefer the steaks you make yourselves over the restaurants). REPS to JM, thanks again.
    U r welcome my friend..anytime..

JM

G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000) G.K. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Next time just get an Omega-3, you get a lot of omega-6 from the diet anyways
    Agreed.

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I've actually seen some suggestions that taking the right omega 6's is not overkill at all and in fact is quite good to add. I honestly don't know enough to explain why and can't find the thread atm to point to it right now. But there have been a few threads about this topic recently.

I'd just suggest taking 3 of these caps per day and then taking 1-2 more fish oil caps to increase the EPA/DHA amounts up to at least 1.5g. The 3g people mention might be good but it seems very excessive to me. At least for starters. Get your body used to a dose, then slowly step it up if you think it's worth it.

Originally Posted by shadar View Post
    The 3g people mention might be good but it seems very excessive to me. At least for starters. Get your body used to a dose, then slowly step it up if you think it's worth it.
    This may sound retarded, but are there very noticeable effects that I should be noticing? My s----'s not so precise just yet that I notice small dietary changes, what w/the hamburger helper and all. I'm just kind of trusting it to be a healthy addition.

This may sound retarded, but are there very noticeable effects that I should be noticing? My s----'s not so precise just yet that I notice small dietary changes, what w/the hamburger helper and all. I'm just kind of trusting it to be a healthy addition.
    One thing I notice when I am getting a good dose of Omega 3's is that my joints feel better, and my skin looks better...for what it's worth.

JM

aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Borage Seed Oil)
    Omega-9 **
    Omega9 is monounsaturated, not essential but it won't mess up the balance of the others so no, you can't take too much of it. It's good for your general blood/heart health but not necessary to survive.

The good stuff in general to supplement is indeed omega3, as some have suggested (haven't read the whole thread), and in this case fish oil is better than flaxseed oil since it contains EPA & DHA. The vegetable oils contain ALA which has to be converted to EPA and DHA by the body but it's not very effecient at it.

However to say that the omega6 part is "bad" is kinda wrong, yes, in general it's stupid to supplement it, but in this case it was supplemented by in part the flaxseed (which has lots of omega3, way more than omega6, as can be seen by the ALA number) and also by the primrose oil & borage seed oil. The thing with these sources is that they have omega6 in the form of GLA and GLA has benefits off its own:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-linolenic_acid

It's suggested that you get over 650 mg of EPA & DHA and atleast 200 mg of each, which 3 is close to and 4 definitly do.

However if you want an omega3 to omega6 ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 this supplement don't give that much more omega3 than omega6 so it won't help your diet that much, it still has some more omega3 than omega6 but not by much.

So well, it do supplement important fats, and it do give them in enough volumes if you take four capsules, however for best health you should try to keep your omega6 intake low and most likely supplement with some capsules which are low in omega6 and high in omega3, I don't know if ALA works just as good as long as one is just after fixing the ratio vs getting the very nice fats DHA & EPA. If ALA works just fine than I'd suggest you just get some flaxseed oil since it has over 70% ALA, if not get some fishoil capsules and you can still use both supplements.

aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can also sprinkle flax seeds on all your yogurt, shakes, etc. Your body will eventually convert it to DHA in the end which is what matters. 2 tablespoons a day and you'll be fine.
    While flaxseeds would have more nutrition than flaxseed oil (and be "fresher") they are also poisonous thanks to the hydrogen cyanide they can release. Eating whole seeds is probably quite safe but then you won't pick up any nutrition from them either, if you crush them you will get the fats but also make them produce the hydrogen cyanide. The hydrogen cyanide cook at 25.6 degrees so if you buy the oil it has most likely been hotter than that and it should be gone.

The body also convert most of it (as in most what is converted, not as in most of the ALA, there can be very small amounts which are actually converted) into EPA, which in turn can be converted to DHA but most likely it will be little (people differ.)

The body can also convert DHA to EPA but that's harder for it.

As a vegan one can get DHA oils from algae but it has very little EPA in it, and since it convert bad to EPA it's not the perfect alternative. Using flaxseed oils isn't perfect either since convertion ratio is so low and also because most of it convert into EPA. The solution is to use both, and get enough flaxseed oil.
    Last edited by aliquis; 08-28-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: wtf, wrote hydrogen acid instead of hydrogen cyanide. Guess it was time for a nap ..

Personally I take flaxseed oil since I am vegan but I notice difference on the skin after a while. The cellmembranes have omega3s and 6s in them or something like that.

And as you can see both the omega3s and GLA is anti-inflammatory (and the rest of the omega6s are pro-inflammatory.)

Originally Posted by aliquis View Post
    While flaxseeds would have more nutrition than flaxseed oil (and be "fresher") they are also poisonous thanks to the hydrogen acid they can release. Eating whole seeds is probably quite safe but then you won't pick up any nutrition from them either, if you crush them you will get the fats but also make them produce the hydrogen cyanide. The hydrogen cyanide cook at 25.6 degrees so if you buy the oil it has most likely been hotter than that and it should be gone.

The body also convert most of it (as in most what is converted, not as in most of the ALA, there can be very small amounts which are actually converted) into EPA, which in turn can be converted to DHA but most likely it will be little (people differ.)

The body can also convert DHA to EPA but that's harder for it.

As a vegan one can get DHA oils from algae but it has very little EPA in it, and since it convert bad to EPA it's not the perfect alternative. Using flaxseed oils isn't perfect either since convertion ratio is so low and also because most of it convert into EPA. The solution is to use both, and get enough flaxseed oil.

Excellent post - agree wtih everything you said. I didn't get into the whole ALA converting to DHA thing because it is isn't usually a problem until people get more to toward 40-50 in age...personally, I don't think you can beat Wild Alaskan Salmon for EPH/DHA quality.

Another good point about toxins - as long as you don't overdue it on (ground) flax seeds, it's not an issue IMO.

JmM

Personally I take flaxseed oil since I am vegan but I notice difference on the skin after a while. The cellmembranes have omega3s and 6s in them or something like that.
    Probably because Flax is also rich in Silica! Good for hair,skin,nails.etc...

JM

And as you can see both the omega3s and GLA is anti-inflammatory (and the rest of the omega6s are pro-inflammatory.)
    Great point - this is what people should really understand as well..the only Omega 6 I actually try to get is CLA. I get it from grass fed beef, and cream. CLA is awesome for fat loss, and can help muscle growth too...I never got anything out of the supplements in the stores (Tonalin,etc) but when I switched from corn fed beef to grass fed, noticed a difference in my waist and stomach within 2 weeks..

JM

Excellent post - agree wtih everything you said. I didn't get into the whole ALA converting to DHA thing because it is isn't usually a problem until people get more to toward 40-50 in age...personally, I don't think you can beat Wild Alaskan Salmon for EPH/DHA quality.

Another good point about toxins - as long as you don't overdue it on (ground) flax seeds, it's not an issue IMO.

JmM
    Yeah, I don't know how acute the effects is and/or if there is any issues with small amounts. Personally I think it seems stupid since it's affect the oxygen "metabolism" of the mitocondria or something such, and even if small amounts may not kill you (it's a very effective poison) I personally think it seems kinda weird to sorta strangle ones own cells and maybe kill them. I guess it may also hurt performance if it makes them pick up oxygen less efficiently / produce less energy for the cells.

Great point - this is what people should really understand as well..the only Omega 6 I actually try to get is CLA. I get it from grass fed beef, and cream. CLA is awesome for fat loss, and can help muscle growth too...I never got anything out of the supplements in the stores (Tonalin,etc) but when I switched from corn fed beef to grass fed, noticed a difference in my waist and stomach within 2 weeks..

JM
    GLA, not CLA.

?-Linolenic acid (gamma-linolenic acid or GLA)

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA)

I didn't knew this, long time since I read about CLA:
    "Although CLA is best known for its anti-cancer properties, researchers have also found that the cis-9, trans-11 form of CLA can reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease and help fight inflammation."

As far as I knew the fat- and muscle benefits where only try to rats/mice and didn't worked in humans, but it seems like there is proof for humans to now:
    "Some studies of CLA in human diets show that it may reduce body fat,[30] especially abdominal fat. A maximum reduction in body fat was achieved with a daily dose of 3.4g."

Also your experiences of supplements vs grassfeed beef seem to hold some scientific proof aswell!
    "However, some experts do not recommend taking CLA supplements. CLA supplements contain high levels of the t10,c12 CLA isomer, which has been linked to multiple side effects.[32] Supplementation with this form of CLA has been shown to increase C-reactive protein levels, possibly to induce oxidative stress,[33] to reduce insulin sensitivity, and to increase lipid peroxidation.[34] In contrast, the cis-9, trans-11 CLA isomer, the primary form of CLA found naturally in beef and dairy products, has been shown to protect cells from oxidative damage by increasing glutathione levels without inducing lipid peroxidation.[35] It is possible, however, that the observation of markers of increased lipid oxidation may indicate potentially desirable lipolytic effects. Further studies are necessary to establish the clinical significance of such observations."

Personally I will start by trying to sleep in the nights instead of during the days
    Too bad your rep power is 0 =p, thanks anyway for the appreciation

Personally I will start by trying to sleep in the nights instead of during the days
    Too bad your rep power is 0 =p, thanks anyway for the appreciation [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I just joined this site today. I'm not even sure what rep power is..lol.Had the week off for vacation and thought I would post a little.

Best regards,
    jm