אz - Giga Dorrill Breakah Alephz's Avatar
    Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Scared of Deadlifts

I've done a lot of reading in the stickies around this forum (all of which has been very interesting and useful for me) and one thing which seems axiomatic is the need to perform Deadlifts and Squats.

Today was the first time I implemented them into my regime and after consulting a regular at the gym, I did a 3x5 on 30kg (I'm a skinny beginner).

Squats went very well but I'm very worried that I was doing the deadlifts incorrectly. My lower back is feeling quite sore now (not the "yeah that was a good workout" sore) and I'm guessing I did it wrong.

Now I've watched all the videos and read all the guides about deadlifting. Keeping a stationary back etc and while I know they're extremely praised here, I've come to the conclusion that I value my spine too much.

Is it ok to cut them out of my work out? I know how acclaimed they are but I go to the gym primarily to watch my gains improve, not so much to get ripped.

Thanks

Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teledin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your lower back is bound to get DOMS after lifting heavy sets on deads but it shouldn't be such a pain that it stops you from going on with your daily life. Without them you can build a solid physique...however I've always been a firm believer you won't maximise your results without them. Reason being how much they overlap strength in other areas.

Do them only when you feel confident. Recently one of the PTs at my gym (a very well informed former rugby player not your stereotypcial PT) pinched his back from deads using a proper form. Sometimes it just happens when you push yourself to your limits.
    BRB... cutting for 12 weeks

Bench: 145kg (320lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR August, 2009
    Deadlift: 210kg (463lbs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009
    ATG Squat: 165kg (364bs) x 1 <<< NEW PR December, 2009

Registered User InsanityDefined's Avatar
    InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You won't be as strong as you can be if you don't incorporate Deadlifts into your workouts. When you first started working out on any muscle... wasn't it a weird pain? Assuming this is your first time working on your lower back, you're just not used to it feeling sore.

If you feel you're form isn't that great, practice with just the bar, or even better, a broomstick.

Deadlifts will strengthen your back, including your spinal erectors, thus strengthening your spine... sort of.

Keep your ego at the door, though. Don't give up form just for a higher number. Always keep perfect form. The more you think you're going to mess up your back, the more chances you have at actually injuring it. Stay confident and positive.
    Last edited by InsanityDefined; 08-25-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    No brain, no gain.
    I rep back.

davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) davegnr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    start light and dont do them every week, u can leave them out but its 1 of the best imo!

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would say, most likely it is just severe doms. Your lower back probably wasn't used to that much load.

However, to be on the safe side, I would definitely say film yourself, and post the video to get a critique.

Originally Posted by InsanityDefined View Post
    If you feel you're form isn't that great, practice with just the bar, or even better, a broomstick.
    Your post was good except for the line I quoted. That won't do much. The bar maybe, but a broomstick won't provide enough weight to properly mimic a deadlift.
    Last edited by chazzy1864; 08-25-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbizzle9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This stuff takes a while and dont try and just jack up the weight or you will just end up hurting yourself. I reccommend finding your form, then dont increase the weight for a month or two, just get your back stronger and get used to doing it properley, then slowley add in more weight if you wish, SLOWLEY.

i started deadlifting about 18 months ago, i started at 115(never tested my max), which was a challenge, especially keeping form, eventually i perfected doing it, now i am at 215 pounds for my 1rm, im contemplating trying 225 friday.

also look at some forum videos on youtube, i find it great because you can look at at an example and see it critiquted by very smart people.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    While it's normal to feel a bit of fear when doing a new exercise--in this case, deadlifts--you shouldn't let fear rule your life in the gym. Do you need to deadlift? Not really, but it is a great exercise which will strengthen your lower back, hips, grip, traps--pretty much every muscle in your body. That said, make sure your form is perfect. Watch vids, practice and get someone who knows something about training--preferably a PT who is knowledgeable--to look at your form and help fix what mistakes you might be making.

As for the pain, unless there's a vid of you doing the dead, it's impossible to say if you were doing it right or wrong; the pain, as someone mentioned before, could just be from DOMS. I don't know. All I can suggest is work up slowly--the deadlift is not something to screw around with and take lightly. Practice, practice, practice. This lift takes time and patience, but if you do it correctly, you will be rewarded with a back that is strong, stable, and powerful-looking.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deadlifts arent for everyone. I felt similar pain to what you probably feel. I had a very stiff lower back which was very tender throughout my erectors and even my hips. Made every day common tasks a struggle.

I went to the chiropractor and apparently i have a cracked vertabrae in my lower spine. This happened years ago and has fully healed however it has weakened my lower back and is causing the disc to slip forward.

I am not allowed to put any heavy stress on my lower back, which means no dead lifts. Bent over rows, squats... etc.

Im just saying be careful, everyone on this forum told me that i had DOMS and it definetly was not.

Registered User InsanityDefined's Avatar
    InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Your post was good except for the line I quoted. That won't do much. The bar maybe, but a broomstick won't provide enough weight to properly mimic a deadlift.
    lol, I realized that, but if he's too scared of doing it with a bar (actual weight), then he can just try practicing the path of a Deadlift with a broomstick.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. It's just not enough weight, but at least it's something.
    No brain, no gain.
    I rep back.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't have to perform DL's. However, it's better to work on your technique rather than giving up.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by InsanityDefined View Post
    Keep your ego at the door, though. Don't give up form just for a higher number. Always keep perfect form. The more you think you're going to mess up your back, the more chances you have at actually injuring it. Stay confident and positive.
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    You don't have to perform DL's. However, it's better to work on your technique rather than giving up.
    These. ^^^^
    the crew that poop poop poops crews crew
    ω

אz - Giga Dorrill Breakah Alephz's Avatar
    Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alephz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sorry for the late reply (and bump).

I tried Deadlifts again and actually asked a guy who works at the gym to watch me do it. He said my form was very good so I guess I'll keep working on my confidence with the low weights.

Being competitive and thirsty for weight is really my thing anyways so thank you very much for all the advice guys. I'll add rep.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Crosshash View Post
    Sorry for the late reply (and bump).

I tried Deadlifts again and actually asked a guy who works at the gym to watch me do it. He said my form was very good so I guess I'll keep working on my confidence with the low weights.

Being competitive and thirsty for weight is really my thing anyways so thank you very much for all the advice guys. I'll add rep.
    Good work.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973