mmmsquats has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Strength Training vs. Mile Run

I realize that this lifestyle is not for everybody. I've decided to change my health for me. However, I am finding it hard to watch my husband continue to make unhealthy choices while in the same breath making noises about being disgusted with how he looks.

When I have invited him to come to the gym with me and get on a program, he refuses and says that weight training would be detrimental to his running time- something that he gets tested for through the military. Not only do PT evals test on aerobics, but body composition and physical ability.

My question is, does he have a case here?

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No, I don't think he does. Were he a marathoner, maybe so. But there's no reason he can't train with weights and still get in enough running to make the times required by the military.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mmmsquats View Post
    I realize that this lifestyle is not for everybody. I've decided to change my health for me. However, I am finding it hard to watch my husband continue to make unhealthy choices while in the same breath making noises about being disgusted with how he looks.

When I have invited him to come to the gym with me and get on a program, he refuses and says that weight training would be detrimental to his running time- something that he gets tested for through the military. Not only do PT evals test on aerobics, but body composition and physical ability.

There is nothing wrong with strength training for endurance-type activities, as long as it's not over-the-top. I think he's just making an excuse. If he's never lifted weights before, I think a basic weight training program will do nothing but help him.

Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mmmsquats View Post

No.

If he's running a mile as fast as he potentially can, he's not gonna be complaining about his physique. Middle distance runners are usually in pretty decent shape. Look at Craig Motram for example.

Thats obviously at the elite level but if you train for something in particular, your physique is gonna approach what the elite's of that thing look like.

There might be little justification for not doing weights training but there's no justification for at least joining and doing some classes (like spin or boxing) and other cardio work on the equiptment (rowers, x trainers, treadmills, steppers, bikes).

And there's certainly no justification for unhealthy eating habits for anybody!

I understand the predicament you're in. My ex used to complain about her physique and made unhealthy eating choices. I'd just make sure when I was around her I'd set an example by eating well. I also used to express how much I liked going to the gym and I'd tell her what my goals were at any given time. If I was trying to cut I'd let her know "I'm trying to get rid of some fat for summer" or whatever and she'd ask "why, you're in good enough shape now" and I'd tell her I wasn't happy with where I'm at or whatever and she always then said something like "if you think that, then you must think I'm a whale" or something like that.

If you set high standards for yourself, your partner will eventually follow suit. It took some time but eventually she joined. You just gotta keep pushing the issue subtly. Unless its gotten to the point where you've stopped finding them attractive or its putting their health at risk. Thats when feelings stop mattering and you stop trying to preserve their ego any more.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    football players are required to do weight training and run, they dont seem to be having a problem. plus a mile is not that much when it comes to running, so i dont see how lifting weights is going to kill his time. if he starts a good leg routine it might help a little actually.

i am the exact opposite though, i would rather lift than run. maybe he just doesn't know any better and really believes what he is saying.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    looking great can also backfire for you spouse as well. you look great, your partner does not, they get further depressed and go in to a downward spiral.

Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    looking great can also backfire for you spouse as well. you look great, your partner does not, they get further depressed and go in to a downward spiral.
    I should hope not! I've had 3 medium range injuries (6-10 weeks out) in the last two years and after each one my physique had obviously suffered. At first its frustration that hard work had been wasted then I felt down for the first week-two weeks back of lifting. It was pretty depressing coming back and lifting as much as 20% less on some exercises. Then I accept that I'm not where I was and develop a stronger motivation than I had before.

It should be the same with people who have spouses getting into better shape. While their shape hasn't gone up or down, RELATIVELY it has gone down. That can be a bit of a blow but then you come to realise that being upset really isn't gonna change much so you go out and work hard at it.

Originally Posted by Power_11 View Post
    I should hope not! I've had 3 medium range injuries (6-10 weeks out) in the last two years and after each one my physique had obviously suffered. At first its frustration that hard work had been wasted then I felt down for the first week-two weeks back of lifting. It was pretty depressing coming back and lifting as much as 20% less on some exercises. Then I accept that I'm not where I was and develop a stronger motivation than I had before.

It should be the same with people who have spouses getting into better shape. While their shape hasn't gone up or down, RELATIVELY it has gone down. That can be a bit of a blow but then you come to realise that being upset really isn't gonna change much so you go out and work hard at it.
    the only thing is that people deal with things differently and also at different paces. my wife has given birth to 3 children. after the first one, she got super motivated and lost all of the weight. she looked incredible when i met her, i didnt even know she was a mom at first

we have had 2 more since the first, and this time she basically has no interest in working out with me or by herself, but yet she wants to lose weight. also have tried going on a diet with her and she has a terrible time sticking to it. meanwhile i am basically cutting and i dont even want to right now.

there could also be other things effecting them emotionally which has them depressed and then being overweight just adds on to that. anyway, i agree that as a spouse we should be positive and set a good example. honestly that is all we can do. but i don't know that it will always have much effect. people have to find thier motivation from within and make the decision to fix their problems.

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The other way around is an impact, IE long distance running will negatively affect your strength gains, but I don't think in his case he should be worried.

J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Back in High School, we got tested in the mile for football. And I never trained for running, but the stronger I got, the better my mile time got.

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    No, I don't think he does. Were he a marathoner, maybe so. But there's no reason he can't train with weights and still get in enough running to make the times required by the military.
    +1 and then some. I'm a marathoner and doing some weight training actaully improves your ability to run. It helps to insure good posture, makes you a more efficient runner, helps prevent fatigue in areas like your shoulders that are used in running, and can greatly help reduce the risk of injury.
    I can see not trying to bulk up or anything but some weight training, or even just calisthenics if he'd do that is always a good idea.

Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Weightlifting really hurts your running time and should be avoided at all costs.

Signed,
    Gold medalist Shawn Crawford

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 08-25-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

-Thomas Edison

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok...i got one word.......well an acronym really!

SAS

(You yanks might go on about navy seals or whatever...but you know you aint got sh*t on the boys form the uk! )

Ask an SAS guy if you could run a mile and still have the strength to take on the taliban. Im using an extreme example here but these guys are SUPER fit AND super strong. They'l run miles wit Bergen's on and could challenge a LOT of the biggest guys on these forums in the weights room.

Take CHris Ryan for example ("The One that Got Away") who trekked 160km across the desert in Iraq yet he is strong as they come.

J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    Ok...i got one word.......well an acronym really!

SAS
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by J_Bo View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    one is not sure if this is sarcasm!

SAS (Special Air Service)

cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cbrowns21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, for short distances my time improves with weight training. When I first lost most of my weight I did lots of running, probably 15+ miles a week and very little weight training. I didn't used to work my legs at all with weights.

Then I got out of of running for a while and did mostly weights and very little cardio. When I went back to running I found that my 5k times were consistantly 1-2 minutes faster than they were before. I attribute it to getting serious about working my legs.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As long as he doesn't go on huge bulks, his run time won't be effected.

Why don't you start commenting that you are disgusted with how he looks? His string bean-esque physique does nothing for you. Perhaps if he had some muscle mass, you'd want to have sex with him.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When i was in track i got my mile time sub 5 min doing circuit training workouts. These were multiple reps/sets of squats,pushups,burpies, etc... with light weights of dumbells. They definitely increased my strength and cardio.

Im preeettty sure you don't have to run a sub 5 for the army though...
    Progress:
    Deadlift: 150 --> 275 3x6
    Squat: 135 --> 225 3x5
    Bench: 95 --> 145 3x5
    - Incline: 80 --> 125 4x5
    BB row: 85--> 140 5x5
    OH Press: 65 --> 105 5x5

Get up. Get real. Get milk. Get big. Get God.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BeyondThePain View Post
    When i was in track i got my mile time sub 5 min doing circuit training workouts. These were multiple reps/sets of squats,pushups,burpies, etc... with light weights of dumbells. They definitely increased my strength and cardio.

Im preeettty sure you don't have to run a sub 5 for the army though...
    Nope, you don't. The fastest time, is for the 17-21 age bracket. The maximum score is 13minute 2 mile. The minimum time for that age bracket is 14:54. As you get older, the minimum time gets slower.

I can't remember how much the marines run (either 2.5 or 3 miles). Navy and Air Force are both 1.5 miles I believe.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm delayed entry for the Marine Corps right now. My run times are dropping even though I do a strength oriented routine. I'm getting stronger and faster at the same time.

It's all in the training.

EDIT: Chazzy, Marines run 3 for PFT. Max time is 18min.
    Last edited by Uncle Ben; 08-25-2009 at 05:26 PM.

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No, tell him to man up and get in the gym. Even most long, long distance runners have some sort of resistance training program even if its only once or twice a week.