Bringing the jank to you! JankMan's Avatar
    JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JankMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ultra-High Body Fat Percentage

So, I've got 37% body fat at 5'9", and 275 lbs... quite a bit to lose.

Has anybody gotten down to 20 - 25% body fat, from something this high? If so, do you have any tips outside of the FAQ?

Much appreciated.

hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well I started out about that range, and as of Sunday was down to 29% and still dropping steadily. It can be done.

Just remember that when you start out, losing 1 lb of fat will not move your BF% very much because it is a percentage and a single pound doesn't impact the denominator of the fraction very much. However, as you progress each incremental pound of fat has an increasing impact in the rate of change so hang in there.

There is no magic answer here: control the calories, get your protein, do HIIT, lift heavy, repeat as needed. Track weight, BF% and tape measurements (neck, bicep, forearm, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf). Measure as often as you like, but only have one "official" day where the numbers mean anything (for me it is Sunday right after I wake up). The day to day variations are driven by water weight and it will drive you crazy if you let it. Look at week to week progress, and don't get bummed unless you are stuck for at least three weeks. Now get to it.
    May 31 WT: 227.6 BF%: 33.2%
    June 28 WT: 216.2 BF%: 32.0%
    July 26 WT: 207.6 BF%: 30.2%
    Aug 30 WT: 199.8 BF%: 28.7%

Goal WT: 155 BF%: 10.0%

Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ripnlean is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Over a year and a half ago, I actually started out at 38% and 242 lbs.

Started with a whole body workout routine 3 times per week and did cardio 2 times per week.
    over the course of the year I added cardio to 4 times per week.
    I had a setback in August of 08 when I tore my ACL playing soccer.
    I have since gone back @ 27% BF this March to training yet again.
    Since March, I have dropped 11% BF and am down to 15.7% right now.

I am doing cardio 7 days per week now. Try to stay active everyday is one of the key points, but the most important one is to hit the diet right on the button.
    You can check out my log that's posted in my signature for losing fat logs i've started for a sample diet, but remember, what worked for me is not perfect for everybody.
    Eating Clean is the key. And lastly, to lose fat, don't be afraid of eating fats, the good kinds that is!
    2017 Transformation Challenge

1/2/17 - 216 #'s, 28% BF
    1/8/17 - 212 #'s, 25% BF

older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hodag1 View Post
    Just remember that when you start out, losing 1 lb of fat will not move your BF% very much because it is a percentage and a single pound doesn't impact the denominator of the fraction very much. However, as you progress each incremental pound of fat has an increasing impact in the rate of change so hang in there.
    ^^This. It is just the math. At 275, 37% BF, you have 102 lbs of fat and 173 lbs of lean body mass (other). So let's say you lose 10 lbs of fat and nothing else (which is unlikely because water counts as lean body mass.) Then you have 92 lbs of fat and weigh 265 for a BF% of 34.7%. So a ten pound fat loss lowered your BF% 2.3 points. Now suppose you were only 225 lbs with 52 lbs of fat and the same 173 lbs of lean body mass or 23.1% BF. Now lose ten pounds again. Now you are 215 with 42 lbs of fat (still 173 lbs of lean body mass) with a BF% of 19.5%. So the same 10 lb loss cause the BF% to fall 3.6 points.

In the extreme, suppose you were 1000 lbs with 900 lbs of fat. Then you would be 90% BF. If you lose 10 lbs, you would still be 89.9% body fat.

So just concentrate on losing fat, not lowering BF% for now.
    05/24/2009, 186.2 lbs
    04/01/2010, 159.4 lbs

Loose rhymes with goose. Lose rhymes with ooze.

RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think hodag1 hits the nail on the head with his statement of having one "official" weight / measurement day a week. I weigh/measure, count cals and macronutrients everyday to monitor how I am progressing but only "document and track" my weight/measurements on Saturday. (Just the day that works best for me with my sched). The day to day will vary as hodag1 stated but my weekly has shown a continuous decline. I am still working towards my goals so, no, I haven't hit the 20% BF level YET but I WILL!!.
    I will say this, When I first started this transformation, I found this site. I ghosted and searched, read and studied what was working for others and put together a starting point plan for myself. I have found, (As many have stated in various threads here) that you need to study what affect your plan has on your progress. Each person is different and what works for some does not work for others. Modify your workouts/diet so you find what works for you and can then reach your goals.

Though this is not directed towards you Jankman as you did not bring it up, but I post infrequently so I want to rant real quick. (To those I work with) There is no freaking magic weight loss pill. There is nothing that lets you sit on your fat ass watching TV eating crap that allows you to still lose fat and gain lean muscle. So quit asking me "What are you taking, to lose so much weight?" I WORKED my fat ass off. Sorry for the rant I know it should be in supps.