the bulking newbie beeeyandizzle's Avatar
    beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What happens to excess protein when you're in caloric maintenance?

For example, I'm 146 lbs, but usually I'll ingest about 160 to 180 grams of protein daily. That's higher than 1g protein per 1 lb bodyweight. However, I'm eating at maintenance calories (sometimes a small deficit.) So what happens to the excess protein that I apparently "don't need" if I follow the rule of 1g protein per pound of bodyweight? Does it just become energy? Do I just end up ****ting it out? What exactly happens to it?

Also, does eating excess protein but eating at maintenance calories have an effect on body composition?

I know for a fact that I'm not eating higher than maintenance because my weight has remained the same for weeks now.

Extra info:
    I'm 5'11''
    I do cardio 5x a week (3 miles running)
    I do weight training 3x a week (light to moderate intensity about 90 mins max per session)
    Last edited by beeeyandizzle; 08-24-2009 at 04:02 PM.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by beeeyandizzle View Post
    For example, I'm 146 lbs, but usually I'll ingest about 160 to 180 grams of protein daily. That's higher than 1g protein per 1 lb bodyweight. However, I'm eating at maintenance calories (sometimes a small deficit.) So what happens to the excess protein that I apparently "don't need" if I follow the rule of 1g protein per pound of bodyweight? Does it just become energy? Do I just end up ****ting it out? What exactly happens to it?

Also, does eating excess protein but eating at maintenance calories have an effect on body composition?

I know for a fact that I'm not eating higher than maintenance because my weight has remained the same for weeks now.

Extra info:
    I'm 5'11''
    I do cardio 5x times a week (3 miles running)
    I do weight training 3x a week (light to moderate intensity about 90 mins max per session)
    since you need the calories from protein to acheive your caloric maintenace, the nergy from fat and carbs aren't sufficient so you will use the protein as energy
    you could ave money and get added nutrients by shifting the excess to carbs/fat
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

the bulking newbie beeeyandizzle's Avatar
    beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) beeeyandizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    since you need the calories from protein to acheive your caloric maintenace, the nergy from fat and carbs aren't sufficient so you will use the protein as energy
    you could ave money and get added nutrients by shifting the excess to carbs/fat
    Thanks! Is there any advantage of shifting the excess to one type of macro over the other if my goal is just to maintain muscle?

BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My doctor talked to me about this. He said i was getting excess protien in my diet, and my body was flushing it out through my urine...."supposedly"
    Progress:
    Deadlift: 150 --> 275 3x6
    Squat: 135 --> 225 3x5
    Bench: 95 --> 145 3x5
    - Incline: 80 --> 125 4x5
    BB row: 85--> 140 5x5
    OH Press: 65 --> 105 5x5

Get up. Get real. Get milk. Get big. Get God.

CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50) CharonRower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by beeeyandizzle View Post
    Thanks! Is there any advantage of shifting the excess to one type of macro over the other if my goal is just to maintain muscle?
    No. Protein is just a more expensive macronutrient. If you already have 1g/lbs, you're good.

I used to weigh 300lbs. Former300lber's Avatar
    Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeyondThePain View Post
    My doctor talked to me about this. He said i was getting excess protien in my diet, and my body was flushing it out through my urine...."supposedly"

As far as I'm aware, the ammonia byproduct of protein metabolism can only be excreted threw sweat, not the urine.

NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NutritionKing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    you will pee out ammonia and sweat ammonia but that is not the protein.

For some reason protein makes you sweat like your body converts it to heat. Keep your cals the same and up to like 550 pro for an experiment and you will sweat like a horse. It is interesting

Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scaryballs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there is no negative to getting too much protein, all a myth. yes excess will be turned into energy. but then better safe than sorry.

however in your case, you are what i weighed when i was about 12 years old at 6'0 tall. whilst most people should be consuming 200/300 calories above maintenance, in your case I would try 500/600, possibly a few hundred more. You don't advise too high calories because else you dreamer bulk and have fat gain, rather than just muscle gain...but in your case, because you're so small, it's better safe than sorry again to get a few more calories and risk putting on a few pounds of fat...which incidentally might not increase your body fat % if you're putting on lean muscle as well...you might even go down.