gegarza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Advice on Bulking Phase

Hello,

I would like to know the answers to a couple of questions I have about a clean bulk. First off all, I'm pretty sure I got the nutrition portion down to a "T" as far as bulking goes.

Here are my current stats:

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 155 lbs
    Current %BF: 9% (man, I worked hard this summer to get to 9%, LOL)
    Sleep: 6-8 hours per night
    I consider myself an ectomorh (hard gainer)

Based on my BMR, age and activity level, I have calculated that I will need approximately 3000 calories per day in order to gain mass; I will spread these calories out over 5-6 meals per day.

But, what about my gym workout routine? Because of my work schedule, I prefer to stick to a 3 day split, in which I hit each body part really hard only once per week.

1) Can someone suggest a 3 day split for bulking, say Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

2) I have been working out now for 2 years. How many total sets should I be doing for major muscle groups, and for minor muscle groups? I was thinking 10 sets for major groups and 6-8 for minor groups. Not enough sets maybe?

3) I faithfully consume a preworkout and postworkout protein shake by Optimum nutrition. I will be getting 50% of my protein intake from real food, and the rest form whey/Casein. Should I be taking any other supplements during my bulk?

4) Should completely abandon cardio during my clean bulk?

Thanks you all so much, and I would greatly appreciate anyones honesty and advice!

george

Registered User WeightGain_4000's Avatar
    WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You been working out for 2 years and you can't find or come up with a 3 day split? lol

You mean 2 months right?

gegarza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WeightGain_4000 View Post
    You been working out for 2 years and you can't find or come up with a 3 day split? lol

You mean 2 months right?
    WeightGain_4000:

No, it is not a typo. I have been working out for 2 years, but all this time, I have only been gearing my routine for cuts/endurance, not mass gaining. I have never made an attempt to bulk or add mass, so this is my first time.

Yes, I know what a 3-day split is, and how to create one, but my specific question centered around "bulking". I was simply asking if I needed to taylor a 3-day split for bulking versus just for maintaining or cutting. In other words, do I need to change up my routine for a clean bulk or can I just stay on the same routine that I am on now?

More specifically, during a clean bulk, I have heard that one should stick to compound movements, but does that mean that I should completely ignore working out my arms and calves?

nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10) nombie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WeightGain_4000 View Post

You mean 2 months right?
    ^^^ This. If you cut down to 9% bodyfat at 155Lbs your quite lean. My question is how did you cut down to this when you cant come up with a split?

Workout program is only 30% of a bulk.

Calories surplus 70%

I think you should try riptoes ss or 5x5.
    "Everyone wants to be a bodybuilding, but no one wants to eat this whole chicken................ But i do"

"Light Weight baby"

Dude what is that piece of string hanging from your shoulder?? Wait thats your arm!

Registered User WeightGain_4000's Avatar
    WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WeightGain_4000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Post your routine. If you think you have alot of isolation exercises then just cut them out. You can do any routine you want but it all comes down to how much you're eating. You should always focus your routine around compound movements if you're bulking or cutting.

Don't ignore your arms or calves. Its good to do some iso exercises for arms and some calf raises. I do about 9-12 sets per major muscle group. I've had good gains between working in the 8-12 reps. Once I get 12 reps on all my sets then I know its time to raise up the weight. But it could be different for you.

I've been bulking too and when I cut cardio out it helped alot. Get some creatine and maybe an energy supplement to take before workouts.