Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 208 :: What Is The Best Breakfast For A Bodybuilder?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Breakfast For A Bodybuilder?

For the week of: August 19 - August 25
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your mother knew what she was talking about when she told you not to skip breakfast. There is no better way to kick start a bodybuilder's day than with a big healthy meal.

What is the best breakfast for a bodybuilder?

What are some good options for breakfast when one is pressed for time?

What are some things one should avoid adding in their breakfasts?

BONUS QUESTION: What does your breakfast normally consist of?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

motojax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1 pack of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal. 2 whole eggs 4 egg whites either scrambled or veggie omelette. 1 slice whole wheat toast. Water. Sometimes if I don't feel like having the entire bowl of oatmeal I have an ON Oats and Whey shake mixed with water.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    awesome question.. soon to reply

THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bodybuilding Breakfast

1) The best breakfast for a bodybuilder is one that consists of high quality protein, complex carbohydrates, and essential fatty acids.. egg whites, whole eggs, chicken breast, extra lean ground beef, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, whole wheat toritllas, high fiber and protein cereals, 1% milk and peanut butter are good options... Use olive oil to cook the eggs

2)A good option for breakfast would be simply to mix a shake together with whey, fruit, and peanut butter. A good breakfast shake would be Whey/Banana/PB
    1-2 scoops whey, 1 large banana, 1-2tbs peanut butter.

3) One shoud avoid donuts, white bagels, frozen breakfasts like breakfast muffins with eggs because of all the excess fat.. Another thing to avoid is eating a carb-based meal without any protein. Sugary cereals should be avoided because they contain little if any nutrition for a bodybuilder.

BONUS QUESTION: What does your breakfast normally consist of? I have three different breakfasts that i rotate.. My workout breakfast is after my postworkout shake.. It consists of
    4oz extra lean ground beef
    3 egg whites
    1 egg yolk
    1/2 swiss cheese slice
    diced green bell peppers, onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and jalapenos.
    Then i bake an 8 oz sweet potato and top it with Cocoa powder, sugar free maple syrup and 1/2 tbs peanut butter.

On nonworkout days i stick to my Kashi Go Lean Cereal with Lactaid milk...
    1 cup Kashi with cocoa powder and melted pb
    5oz FF lactaid
    OMLETTE
    2 egg whites
    2 whole eggs
    1 slice swiss cheese
    diced red/green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, jalapenos

Option 2 non-workout
    2 slices ezekial bread(french toast) and sugar free male syrup with natty PB
    3 egg whites, 1 yolk, cinnamon, splenda (dip bread into mixture)
    2 egg whites with 2 oz chicken breast
    diced veggies and swiss cheese omelette

carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50) carinishead will become famous soon enough. (+50)

It depends on what cycle a bodybuilder is on: Bulk or Cut. I'll assume bulking. While bulking, you should get a good serving of protein, complex carbs, and omega-3 fatty acids, and etc. You want the most carbs in the morning as they will digest throughout the day. Eggs, oats, whole grain breads, non-fat yogurts, etc are all good ways to start the day. I personally shoot for 40-50g of protein and around 80g of carbs.

If you're pressed for time, you can always pick up a good mass gainer with a good serving of complex carbs and a decent amount of protein. Mixing it in milk gives you some fat, extra calories, and a little more protein, all while making it taste better.

At breakfast, avoid the stuff you'd typically avoid at any other meal. With your whole day ahead of you, you don't need to worry too much about carbs, but still try to avoid a lot simple carbohydrates (syrups, sugar coated cerals, etc).

Every morning I generally eat about 6-8 whole eggs cooked with salt, pepper, and Omega-3 Country Crock butter, a 12-16 oz glass of milk, and a few slices of whole grain flax-seed bread. Occasionally I'll add in a clementine orange and a small serving of non-fat yogurt as well. On days when I don't feel like cooking, I down a large bowl of Kashi High Protein/High Fiber cereal to get me going. If I have to really rush, I'll just take a Met-RX Colossal Big 100 bar or a gainer shake with me.

ianknxv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since I'm usually in a hurry, my typical breakfast consists of 6 egg whites, 1yolk, whatever 1/2 cup dry oat and 1 cup water cook up to, and 1tsp. Smart Balance Margarine. Total Prep time is under 5 min. and this meal keeps me full for the 2-2 1/2 hours until my next meal.

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Meal #1:

* 923 Calories, 103g Carbohydrates, 86g Protein, 18g Fat: 15 Egg Whites
    * 2 Whole Eggs
    * 4 Slices Of Ezekiel Toast
    * 1 Cup (Dry) Ezekiel

You may be thinking that who eats that much for breakfast. Well, two-timed Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler does.

Breakfast is considered the most needed meal of the day. It is the first meal of the day and it prepares you for the long road ahead. There is nothing like making breakfast before you work or enjoying breakfast in the school or college cafeteria before class. Breakfast is amazing. With bodybuilders, breakfast is also of the same caliber and appreciation. Is breakfast the most needed meal for bodybuilders? The question is highly debatable, but there is not denying the importance of breakfast. Some people wake up to workout and then one hour later enjoy a breakfast to replenish the fuel sources. Breakfast put some pep in your step. Others on the other hand make breakfast, then workout. Breakfast is a high-quality meal and it should be drilled in your head on the impact of breakfast. After a long sleep, breakfast is the key to putting you back in the driver's seat.

Breakfast can probably be the biggest meal of the day, because you will burn the more fat as they day goes by. A day without breakfast is like a car with an empty tank. You are not going anywhere. You want to keep your body functioning at an optimal pace choose breakfast. Breakfast will do wonders to your body. I have seen people close to me not leave breakfast and then I see them later looking like zombies. When I have no breakfast, I am sluggish and look look. Why not put some pep in your step and enjoy BREAKFAST.

Bodybuilders weigh different amounts, so the amount they eat will be different. As a bodybuilder, you need to make sure you cover the bases with breakfast. First of all, you need something that is packed with protein. Protein allows for more fuel to be burned,keeps you strong, and helps you recover faster. Second, you need a carb source. When I say carb source, I don't mean a doughnut. I am talking about a complex carbs. They provide energy that you need throughout the day. Finally, you need something that contains fat. Fats are essentials to staying alive and you need them.

A typical bodybuilder breakfast could look like this:

6 egg whites
    1 cup of oats or grits
    1 banana
    tbsp of natty pb

This covers the protein, carbs, and fats you need with this meal.

Egg Sandwich
    Put one egg into the microwave for about 30 to 60 seconds. Once you take it out, place it on the bottom piece of the bagel. Apply Jelly to the top and place top of bagel on. Proceed out the door eating it.

Why is This Good: You have your protein and good sources of carbs. Carbs are best absorbed early in the day and they don't tend to be stored as fast. They are used more frequently as energy.

PB Banana Bagel
    Get a bagel and spread some natty pb on both sides. Cut up the banana and place on the peanut butter. Enjoy.

Why is This Good:
    The meal is quick and easy filling you up adequately.

When it comes to protein sources, you should avoid greasy bacon and sausages. You may be able to get away with turkey bacon or low-fat sausages, but you are better off baking them instead of frying them. Sugary treats are a no-no when it comes to breakfast. I know you like eating your Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, but that is not breakfast. Those two brands specialize in tasty treats. You can't just eat one glazed doughnut anyway. The same goes for other sugary snacks. I love me some Lucky Charms, but I will get more than one bowl. If you must have pancakes, skip the syrup. Purchase some fruit spread instead. Your body will thank you. Sugary treats are empty calories and in a few hour you will be hungry once again. Stay away from the sweets, fried food, and fatty foods.

I am usually consistent when it comes to breakfast. I alternate between three meals every week. Here they are:

Power Cereal(Mixed into one cereal bowl)
    1 cup of Kashi GoLean Cereal
    1 scoop of whey protein powder
    1 1/2 cup of 2% milk
    tbsp of natty pb

This meal is protein, carb,fat,and fiber packed greatness.

Fiber Helper
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1/2 grapefruit

Everything is there for you and I love eating fruit in the morning.

Pre-Workout Breakfast
    2 whole eggs
    1 apple

You want slow carbs from fruits before you workout not fast carbs that make you tired before your workout begins. There is nothing wrong with eating whole eggs. Studies have recently shown that eating 3 whole eggs a day is great for your heart:

"In studies at the University of Connecticut, for example, eating three eggs a day for 30 days increased cholesterol in susceptible people, but their LDL particles were larger, and there was no change in the ratio between LDL and HDL, which suggests no major change in coronary risk. "

Source:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jay_...op_5_meals.htm
    Source:http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/w...tured0308.html
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

renovationfit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) renovationfit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Breakfast For The Bulking Bodybuilder!

This is my morning routine, keep in mind I weigh 153lbs so obviously you need to eat more if you weigh more, and less if you weigh less...

Upon Waking - 1/2 scoop whey w/5g glutamine & 2 kre-alkalyn caps

15-20mins later or how ever long it takes to cook breakfast...

1/2 cup Oats
    3/4 cup egg whites
    2 whole omega 3 eggs
    hand full of blueberries
    2-3oz chopped apple

Approximately 48 grams of protein, 37 grams of carbs, and 12.5 grams of fat (453 cals)

I scramble my eggs, cook my oats, and mix the fruit, oats, and eggs in a large bowl add cinnamon & a couple stevia sweetener packets and eat!

Registered Snoozer doylertheoiler's Avatar
    doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000) doylertheoiler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Simple... BREAKFAST!

There are too many new people to this lifestyle that want to make all these outrageous gains but do not have their diet in check. No matter what your goals are, you need to first of all eat, eat healthy and eat often! This starts with breakfast... don't skip breakfast because you do not have time or you are lazy. Get up earlier if that is the case.

For a breakfast meal, it's not very hard to throw one together. Use a protein calculator for your current weight and incorporate that into your meal plan so that you get enough protein for your first meal. However obvious suggestions are:

Eggs - pasteurized egg whites are the best because if you are running late, just drink a 250 ml carton without the worry of food poisoning. If you can handle the texture!

Natural fruit smoothies

Naturally dried fruit and nuts - Apricots, raisins, bananas, cranberries. Almonds, pecans, cashews

Bagel - Roughly 6-8 g protein per bagel... eat two!

Yogurt - Get light if your worried about fat

Turkey bacon

In conclusion you don't have to be a genius to improve your body and lifestyle. When you stop and think about what you are putting into your face, 95% of the time you can honestly determine if it is a good or bad decision! Do not be naive, eat healthy, lift heavy and get plenty of rest. Remember, gym time only accounts for 33% of gains that you can achieve. The remainder will come with diet and rest!

daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daveprentice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Breakfast for Bodybuilders

1. What is the best breakfast for a bodybuilder?

This varies depending on if you are currently bulking or cutting. Either way, your main goal of breakfast is to get back into an anabolic state. The only thing that varies is the calories you take in for weight gain or loss. You need a good amount of protein regardless so start with eggs and/or whey protein. While bulking go with more whole eggs, and while cutting switch to more egg whites. You can also add in a little bit of lean meat if you want. To fuel your day add in some carbs in the form of oatmeal, dry wheat toast, and fruit. When you're bulking go ahead and have a little of all three. When cutting I'd stick with just a piece of fruit or a small bowl of oatmeal. You get plenty of good fats from your eggs so no need to add more to this meal.

Bulking- 3-4 whole eggs, 3-4 egg whites, 1 scoop whey, 1 cup oatmeal, and a piece of fruit. If you want some toast with your eggs feel free to add in a slice of wheat bread. Unless you really need the calories, lay off the butter though.

Cutting- 1 whole egg, 6-8 egg whites, 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup oatmeal or a piece of fruit

2. What are some good options for breakfast when one is pressed for time?

When you're on the go and need a quick breakfast the easiest solution is a nice smoothie. You can make this in less than 5 minutes and get all of the nutrition you need to start your day. Start with about 12 oz of milk and add some whey protein (amount varies based on your size and protein needs), some peanut butter, and a couple of pieces of fruit and blend it up. I like to use chocolate protein powder and bananas and it tastes delicious but feel free to change up the flavors to your liking. When you are bulking use higher fat milk and 2 tbsp peanut butter. While cutting switch to skim and make it just one piece of fruit and 1 tbsp peanut butter.

If you like to actually have some food in your stomach and still need a quick breakfast you can try a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal or some instant oats with a piece of fruit (berries or bananas are fastest) and a protein shake to drink. This can also be done in about 5 minutes.

3. What are some things one should avoid adding in their breakfasts?

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day so if you are going to eat junk you shouldn't make it at breakfast time. Do your best to avoid foods like bacon, donuts, muffins, bagels, sugary cereals, pancakes, french toast, rolls, and sausages. Also, be sure to avoid butter. It's always tempting to me to cook my eggs in butter and put butter on toast but you really shouldn't use it. Stick to Pam spray for your eggs and learn to deal with dry toast or use a very small amount of olive or canola oil based spread.

When I am bulking typically I will eat 4 eggs with 3 whites, a bowl of oatmeal (about a cup dry), a piece of wheat toast (dry), 1 scoop of whey protein in 6 oz of 2% milk, and a piece of fruit. Sometimes I will sub Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal for oatmeal or have a glass of OJ with my breakfast to avoid boredom. If I'm in a hurry to get to school or something I'll have a smoothie as I described above. Keep in mind I'm 220 lbs so if you weigh more or less, adjust the food amounts.

While cutting I normally don't eat eggs for the simple reason that I hate eating plain egg whites with no yolks. Usually I'll stick to 2 scoops of whey protein mixed in water, 2 tbsp peanut butter and a piece of fruit. I always do cardio before breakfast while cutting so usually I'm not very hungry after and this fills me up. If I'm feeling really hungry I'll get rid of the whey protein and have 6-7 oz of chicken breast instead so there's more in my stomach.
    Last edited by daveprentice; 08-21-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot something

KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) KCJack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

my turn

1. Eggs, oatmeal, fruit, milk
    2. instant oatmeal (plain flavored) Egg on wheat sandwiches, Fruit, chocolate milk, protein shakes
    3. avoid butter, too much salt, too much sugar, jelly, fruit juices, and baked good (donut, pastry) greasy sausage and bacon
    4. my breakfast is usually 3 fried eggs, bowl of oatmeal (with raisins), fruit, chocolate milk,
    (im in Iraq) ham slices
    *** K.C.J. ***

I must be stronger, tougher and faster than my enemies.

If you want it, you got to go get it!!!

Bench 250
    Dead lift 315
    Squat 315
    Military press 175

Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Valjean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Arrow Get Chiseled With Breakfast!

Good Morning! How did you sleep? Did you have delightful dreams? Well I hope you did, because your body just went through a nightmare!

Just four short hours ago, your body was taken off guard and realized that your dinner from last night is not in your stomach anymore! It went into Def-con 2 in a panicked fury and started eating away at its fuel reserves. These fuel reserves are your body fat and your precious muscles. Wait, you don't have much body fat? Well then your body is eating away mostly at the success from your toiling hours of work in the cesspool that people call a gym!

So are you sure you got a good sleep? Maybe you have had a recurring nightmare of aching to get up in the middle of the night to have that second bowl of cottage cheese?

Good morning!!! Oh did I already say that? Well anyway, now that I have either scared you out of your mind or overblown something that is really not a big deal, get your sorry arse out of bed and get to your kitchen! It's time for the most important meal of the day.

Your Muscle Breakfast

A wholesome breakfast is the best way to get your body in anabolic mode and your brain ready for the stressors of the day. When we think of breakfast foods, we often think of pastries, cereals, oatmeal, and juices. We need carbohydrates for energy, but the question is, where is the protein and the fat? Eating a carb heavy breakfast will accomplish nothing but an insulin spike and hunger pangs an hour later. The only obvious breakfast options for foods with protein and fat in them are are eggs and sausage. Now since all processed meats in NJ need to have cancer warning labels on them, I would stay away from the sausage regardless of what state I live in, unless it's homemade (Silverberg). This leaves the God of proteins, the egg with it's utilization index higher than any other whole food protein. An egg or egg/white mixture should be incorporated into breakfast daily. Eat at least one yolk. The yolk is nutrient dense and will slow down digestion of everything else to keep you fuller longer. Also, utilize high fiber foods like whole grain cereal, oatmeal, or vegetables. The first ingredient should always be whole grain wheat, bran, or oatmeal in your starchy foods. And do not forget that juice is loaded with carbohydrates without any fiber to slow digestion! Do yourself a favor and have a cup of green tea instead. In summary I recommend a breakfast with ratios of 20% fat, 40% protein, and 40% carbohydrates.

Any veteran bodybuilder will endlessly preach "steel cut oatmeal & egg whites" like a religion. If I had the luxury of being able to wake up every morning to cook and eat for thirty minutes, I would, but I do not. Like many of you, I either have a job or school, and I would rather not risk losing sleep by waking up even earlier to cook. I want to wake up, grab something healthy on the go, and leave. No, if it is sold packaged, it fails. No "bars". My solution is ridiculous, but ingenious. I have recently grown an addiction to cooking different types of muffins. I actually host a blog on this site called "A Muffin for Every Meal". My objective is to be able to make a batch of muffins on Sunday, freeze them, and be able to wake up each weekday morning, pop some in the microwave for a minute, and eat them in the car. The project has been a great success so far. The general idea is to make a baked egg muffin using egg whites, a vegetable, and a meat.

Here's one of my recipes. You can see more at http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Valjean

3/4 lb homemade turkey sausage
    1 1/2 cup diced peppers and onions
    1/2 cup fat free shredded moz cheese + 1/4 for later
    Wheat bran and milled flaxseeds as filler and for more fiber
    1 whole egg
    2 cups egg beaters or egg white
    1 Tbsp dried chopped onion
    4 oz diced mushrooms
    1/2 tsp baking powder

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F

1. Saute the sausage and peppers and onions on the stove in a skillet until cooked and browned.

2. When finished slice them up to tiny pieces and set aside

3. Mix the 1/2c of cheese, 4 oz mushrooms, dried chopped onion, baking powder, and bran/flax together in a bowl

4. Add the peppers/onion/sausage mix to this bowl. Mix.

5. Add in the egg mixture, beaten together like a scrambled egg to this mixture. Mix again.

6. Put the mixture into greased muffin tins (to prevent stickage) and then sprinkle the extra 1/4c cheese on the muffin tops.

7. Cook for 22 minutes. Time will be less if you use smaller muffin tins.

8. Eat or save for the next day, when you can just toss it in the microwave.

Breakfast for a week!

Danger Ahead
    Here's the general rule with breakfast. Unless you are eating a type of supplement with breakfast, try to stay away from foods with ingredient lists as large as the health-care bill. More specifically, stay away from foods with

1) Added sugar: Names are Sugar, corn syrup, evaporated cane juice. Your best staples in terms of cereals are foods like Shredded Wheat, Uncle Sam, oatmeal, and Ezekiel

2) Foods with a cartoon mascot: I guarantee that you will not be able to find one of these advertised foods without an added sugar or a hydrogenated in the ingredients list

3) Nitrates & nitrites: As mentioned above, processed meats cause cancer, and nitrates and nitrites are the culprits.

4) Added fat: When cooking anything, don't go crazy with fat. You do not need half a stick of butter to make fluffy eggs. These calories add up quickly, and are often "bad" in terms of the types of fats. Use only as much fat as you need to grease the pan with.

5) Non-whole grain flour: These types of flours lack much of the nutrients and fiber found inside whole grains. They also digest much faster, leaving you hungry sooner. As I mentioned before, look for first ingredients that say "whole grain", "bran", or "oatmeal".

My Breakfast

As mentioned above, I like to wake up and be out of the house in ten minutes, so I make and freeze muffins to cook them in a snap again in the morning. This week, I will be waking up to "Popeye Spinach Muffins" and "Pumpkin Muffins" topped with peanut butter. I'll get getting about 20g fiber each morning, a serving of vegetables, protein, and fats. I'll be full until lunchtime.

A study in Men's Health Magazine says that eating spinach increases protein synthesis (Zinczenko 40)

On weekends, I'll indulge in a mixture of egg whites and yolks with loads of vegetables with a bowl of Ezekiel cereal with peanut butter. My favorite topping mixture in eggs is onions, peppers, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper. It gives a kick, so watch out! =D

Happy feasting!
    ~Valjean

David, Zinczenko, ed. "Muscle Bulleton." Men's Health: 42. Print.
    "Hot Dogs and Nitrites." Cancer Prevention Coalition. Web. 23 Aug. 2009. <http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/food/hotdogs.htm>.
    Silverberg, David. "Processed meat should come with warning labels, lawsuit urges." Digital Journal. Web. 22 Aug. 2009. <http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/276433>.
    Last edited by Valjean; 08-24-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    Will rep back 250+

=== ☆ ☆ Fernando Rollins Crew ☆ ☆ ===

58.1% on our stock picking YTD. Trade with us!
    www.TradersBase.com

aesqueda08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

best bodybuilding breakfast

The best breakfast for a bodybuilder would definitely be egg whites with spinach and whole rolled oats. I would suggest 6-10 egg whites with a one cup or two of spinach with 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of oats depending on your carbohydrate needs. The eggs provide a fast acting source of protein without the fat and the spinach provides a great source of l-glutamine. The protein and the glutamine will work well to fight catabolism and put your body in an anabolic state. Use whole rolled oats because instant oats contain less nutrients due to them being processed. Oats contain a great source of complex carbohydrates to fuel your muscles throughout the day. They are also a great source of fiber.

A great breakfast option one you are pressed for time is a protein shake mixed with l-glutamine and oats. Many protein shakes taste good and can be a great treat in the morning while giving your muscles the nutrients they need. Glutamine will again help in fighting catabolism. I am such a big fan of oats that I even put them in my shakes. They actually blend pretty well and they don't alter the taste much. This is a fast way to get your carbs and protein. Use 1 or 2 scoops of protein and 1/2 or 1 cup of oats.

I would avoid anything high in sugar. High glycemic foods spike your insulin and if you are not active immediately in the morning than these foods can lead to storing fat rather than using your carbohydrate source as energy. I would also avoid many cereals that claim to be whole grain or bran because they usually end up having either bleached or unbleached wheat flour or loads of sugars and preservatives.

Eggs and oatmeal. Usually 6 egg whites and maybe a yoke or two and I often soak my oats over night and add either a shredded apple or mashed banana. It tastes great.
    aesqueda08

mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikayla487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ground hog day breakfast

Breakfast after cardio of course!!

This is quick to prepare and definately my favourite meal of the day, even though the ingredients haven't changed in over a year...

Cup of oats cooked for three minutes with water. Whilst that is whirring away in the microwave I down a vanilla flavoured whey protein drink, again mixed with water with one teaspoon each of L-Glut and Creatine. When the microwave goes ping out come the oats and I mix in one dessertspoon of local honey, two dessertspoons sprouted flaxseed powder and about a cup soya milk. YUMMY!!

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your mother knew what she was talking about when she told you not to skip breakfast. There is no better way to kick start a bodybuilder's day than with a big healthy meal.

As my mother is never too modest to tell me, mother knows best. And when it comes to getting properly fed, my Italian mother was definitely no slacker. A proper breakfast is a great way to start your day, as it literally "breaks the fast" of eight hours of sleep. A solid meal kick-starts your metabolism and gives you the proper fuel to feed your muscles and mind for the day's activities. Whether cutting, bulking or maintaining, there's no reason not to have breakfast. If you're dieiting, a solid breakfast will give you the energy you need to get things done on restricted calories the rest of the day, and the thermic effect of food will boost your metabolism. If you're bulking, breakfast is your first opportunity to get those precious calories in. Lastly, if you're maintaining, breakfast will wake you up and help keep your blood sugar levels stable.

And the importance of breakfast isn't just an old wives' tale either - studies have shown that children who eat a nutrition breakfast have higher learning abilities and improved energy levels than those that don't (1), and a Harvard study found students who ate breakfast had "significantly more attentive in the classroom, earned higher grades in math, and had significantly fewer behavioral and emotional problems" (2). So if you want to start each day with your best foot forward, that foot had better be headed toward the kitchen for a hearty meal.

Building a proper breakfast requires some basic knowledge of nutrition. A solid breakfast (or any meal for that matter) combines all three macronutrients - carbohydrates, protein and fat. It's important to have a balanced amount of each, as they all serve valuable purposes. Carbohydrates are the body's preferred energy source and provide fuel for all of your daily activities. Proteins contain amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle, and also aid with metabolic processes. Dietary fat also provides fuel and insulates your body's organs, regulates hormone levels, is a key component in brain cells, and helps transport fat-soluble nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E and K.

Within these macronutrients, there is a lot of variety. Preferred sources of carbohydrates would be complex ones, such as whole grains, as they digest slowly, do not cause rapid rises in blood sugar levels, and provide sustained energy and a feeling of satiety. Try to avoid refined sugars and non-nutritive sweeteners.

Meanwhile, proteins come in all different forms as well. Some are incomplete (lacking amino acids), such as in beans and bread, while others, such as meat and eggs, are complete. Some, such as the ever-popular whey protein, are absorbed quickly, while others, such as casein or meat, are absorbed slowly, providing a steady stream of amino acids for the body. There are also protein blends available, which feature multiple sources such as whey, egg, milk protein isolate and casein, which provide the best of both worlds - rapid and sustained release proteins.

Perhaps most controversial is dietary fat. Low-fat foods may be all the rage, but it doesn't mean they're healthy. For the most part, you'll want to find fat sources that are mainly unsaturated, and possibly high in Omega-3s - these fatty acids have been linked to reduced inflammation, reduced risk of obesity, and even maintaining eye health (3,4).

No matter what size your breakfast is, it should have a balance of carbohydrates, protein and fat. If your breakfast is before a workout, you may opt for more carbohydrates, perhaps some simple ones, and a quick-digesting protein such as whey. If it is directly after, something similar, such as cereal in whey and milk, would work as well. Here are some options based on size:

300 Calories:
    2 Eggs with diced Onions and Peppers, 1/2 Cup Oatmeal in Water with Cinnamon
    1 Slice of Toast with 1Tbsp Peanut Butter, 1 Scoop Whey in Water
    1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese with 1 Diced Banana, 2-4 Slices Bacon (depending on size)

400 Calories:
    3 Egg Omelet with Salsa, 1/2 Cup Oatmeal topped with 1-2Tbsp Jelly
    1 Scoop Optimum Nitro Core 24 in Water, 2 Slices of Toast
    2 Kashi Blueberry Waffles, 2 Eggs Scrambled with 1/4 Cup Shredded 2% Cheese

500 Calories:
    2 Slices French Toast with Sugar-Free Syrup and a sliced Apple, 2 Egg Whites
    1 Cup Oatmeal mixed with 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    Tuna Salad Sandwich made with Light Mayo/Hummus

As you can see, there is plenty of variety. If you have a lot of time, you may want to try some of my delicious protein-packed recipes.

Protein Pancakes

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
    1 scoop whey
    2 egg whites
    About 1/4 - 1/2 pack SF/FF banana cream instant pudding mix
    Some water

Toss it all in a blender and then toss em on the griddle. Or just guzzle as a shake. If you don’t wanna use whey, sub it for another 1/2 cup of CC, but use less water. I also like to mix it up with other pudding mixes, lemon is real good for these as well, or pumpkin spice.

Nutrition Information: 356 Calories, 40g protein, 40g carbs, 4g fat

Lemon Blueberry Protein Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In one bowl, mix:
    1 cup whey (about 3 scoops)
    3/4 cup flour
    1 package lemon SF pudding mix
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon

In a different bowl, mix:

1 cup blueberries
    3 egg whites
    1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
    1/4 cup apple butter (can also use applesauce)

Pour the first batch into the second, little by little, mixing well. You should also add some water a little bit at a time until the batter becomes liquidy enough. Pour that into cupcake molds and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. They’re done when a knife inserted comes out clean. This also makes a great loaf of bread if you’d prefer to do that.
    Whole batch: 953 calories, 118g carbs, 96g protein, 7g fat.
    Macros for 1 muffin (makes 8 ): 118 calories, 15g carbs, 12g protein, 1g fat.

If you don't have the time or ambition to cook up something elaborate for breakfast, there are still plenty of options. The ultimate on-the-go breakfast requires nothing more than a blender - simply add water, milk, whey and peanut butter for a delicious and nutritious shake. For some variety, try adding in sugar-free pudding mix, fruit or yogurt.

In addition, don't feel that you have to be tethered to 'normal' breakfast foods. There's nothing wrong with making a sandwich for breakfast, and that takes next to no time. Add a slice of low-fat cheese and microwave or grill for a cafe-style melt.

Another very simple and quick meal involves microwaving oatmeal and mixing in some whey or meal replacement (MRP) powder. If you don't even have time for this, just mix some whey with water or milk and pour it over a bowl of cereal.

Quick Fixes

Sometimes you may have something in mind for breakfast already but it may be unbalanced, missing a significant piece of the macronutrient puzzle. Here are some easy ways to add carbohydrates, protein and fat to a meal - these can be mixed in, sprinkled or spread on your meal for an easy solution.

WHAT TO ADD FOR CARBOHYDRATES: Fresh fruit, milk, bread crumbs, oats, bran.

WHAT TO ADD FOR PROTEIN: Egg whites, whey or casein powder, milk, cottage cheese.

WHAT TO ADD FOR FAT: Cheese, nut butters, nuts, flax seeds, oils.

While there are plenty of healthy options for breakfast, there are many poor choices as well. Consuming a breakfast that is entirely, or mostly made up of one single macronutrient, is not good idea. Also, you'll want to have a meal that won't set you up for a crash later by rapidly elevating your blood sugar levels - simple sugars, such as those found in sugary cereal and syrups, should be avoided. Don't be tempted to think you can get away with adding just "a little" sugar or syrup to your breakfast for some flavor - the calories add up quickly. Instead, opt for a low-calorie sweetener or simply some ginger and cinnamon. Both of those spices have many health benefits and add a world of flavor without many calories at all.

Also, while muffins are often considered a common breakfast food, they are actually more of a dessert than anything - loaded with sugar and fat, some can come in at 600 calories by themselves, and contain little protein. The same goes for donuts and other baked goods that you'll find at most quick-service chains. In addition to providing little nutrition, muffins, donuts and danishes may ruin your chances at attaining a calorie deficit if you're cutting, and the simple sugars will just make you hungry later on.

Lately, I've found myself with some time in the morning, so I have been making some protein pancakes and crepes, topping them with peanut butter, fruit or strawberry cream cheese. I also enjoy making omelets and the occasional sweet potato frittata. However, when school begins again, I will most likely return to my old staples - Oatmeal or Oatbran with Syntha-6 or Ultra Peptide 2.0 mixed in. These are quick, convenient meals that are delicious and also nutritionally balanced. If I'm really in a hurry, I make a power shake with peanut butter, oatmeal, fruit and some protein powder or an MRP. Another great meal that you can eat while walking out the door is a bagel sandwich with turkey and cheese - portable, nutrient-packed, and tasty.

SOURCES:

1. Crockett, S., & Sims, L. Environmental influences on children's eating. Journal of Nutrition Education, 1995; 27: 235-245.
    2. Kleinman, R. New Harvard research shows school breakfast program may improve children's behavior and performance. KidSource Online, 1998
    3. WHFoods: Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
    4. Tuo, Jingsheng, et al. A High Omega-3 Fatty Acid Diet Reduces Retinal Lesions in a Murine Model of Macular Degeneration. The American Journal of Pathology, 2009; 175(2): 799-807
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dlv92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by motojax View Post
    1 pack of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal. 2 whole eggs 4 egg whites either scrambled or veggie omelette. 1 slice whole wheat toast. Water. Sometimes if I don't feel like having the entire bowl of oatmeal I have an ON Oats and Whey shake mixed with water.
    doesn't seem like enough calories

Jayboog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. There isn't a one and only best breakfast for a bodybuilder, because each bodybuilder is unique in his/her needs. A bodybuilder's breakfast should be set to what his/her body needs and how their body uses the fuel given to it. The best breakfast for a bodybuilder would be one that allows that bodybuilder to reach their goal in the shortest amount of time possible. Finding the best breakfast is all about trying different combinations of foods and nutrients, taking notice of how your body reacts to them, and putting these foods together to make your body a type of "super breakfast".
    2. One good option for breakfast when one is pressed for time is a whey protein shake and an apple or banana. Anything that won't keep you from achieving your goal and that can be carried and eaten easily works great.
    3. Just like in the last sentence of answer 2, don't add anything that will keep you from achieving your goal. Bodybuilder's are in it to build the best looking body they can, and you will never build it if you set yourself back through your nutrition.

Andrewshan1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One of the best quick breakfasts you can prepare is a bowl of oatmeal, especially if you are active and health conscious. Oatmeal is rich in complex, energy-sustaining carbohydrates, low in fat and high in fiber. What's more it is economically priced and easy to make!
    Oatmeal is becoming so mainstream that it's available in disposable heat and serve containers and many flavors, including one with little sugar dinosaurs intended for picky kids. Did you ever notice while you were paying four times the price of a container of plain oats for a 10 packet box of flavored oatmeal that you were also buying 13 grams of sugar and less than an adult female serving in every packet?
    Andrewshan1

TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Will all the thread posters above I couldn't agree more, Oatmeal is my preferred breakfast and milk.

lichun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

厉害

你们太专业了。群众基础太大了。

wilcleod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

easy

Originally Posted by dlv92 View Post
    doesn't seem like enough calories
    this is what i do... its super easy

banana, 1 cup dry measure oats, 16 oz milk, 1 cup frozen strawberries 2 scoops whey, 2 tbs natural peanut butter!

that is the best and its about 1300 calories!!!

I hate eating oatmeal because I get full. THis way it doesnt feel me up!!

KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

What you do is have two breakfasts. One consisting of fast digesting protein, and carbs. Whey and a banana for example. 30-60 minutes after that you eat another breakfast. This is so that the insulin spike has time to work, and for the aminos to get to the muscle cells. This second breakfast depends yes on if you are cutting or bulking, but keep in mind that breakfast will affect your metabolism for the rest of the day. If you eat a large breakfast your metabolism will be kicking but if your breakfast is small then your metabolism will be slow. Second breakfast should consist of lean meats, dairy, oats, etc.

KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KyleSlim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice mang!

DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DaysofSun has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    usually oatmeal or eggs do it best for me too

Registered User Russell12345678's Avatar
    Russell12345678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I Recently join a gym and start the game. intially i use light weights and not do very hard game so suggest me what food i should take with game
    not working

hardcorejab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is what made me big when I was 21. Gained a hundred pounds in a year mostly muscle without steroids (225-325). After a year I could squat 495 clean and jerk 315 bench 365 deadlift 495 all for reps.
    Breakfast: Dozen eggs, giant loaf wonder bread, pound of bacon, half a gallon of chocolate milk.
    Dont let anyone fool you. Big eating makes big men. Wiki Marius Pudonowski if you dont believe me. And if you where wondering that was one of 5 or 6 meals equally as large. and I trained twice a day 6 days a week. Two hours powerbodybuilding and half an hour cardio twice a day.

When are pressed for time eat whatever you can find with a hundred gram protein shake.

For breakfast you should avoid eating to little!

For breakfast now I eat 4 omega eggs 2 slices wheat bread and oj and banana.
    I don't eat as much as I did 14 years ago because I won't train that hard. I would rather be with the wife and kids than spend 5 hours a day in the gym. I am glad I did it. I have fond memories of squating 705 benchin 455 and deadlifting 705. I can still bench 405 and squat deadlift 495.

hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100) hodong6389 is not very well liked. (-100)
    animal pak, fish oil, supreme foods, steak

BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000) BodyBranded is just really nice. (+1000)
    hah