wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wu_renegade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Piriformis Syndrome? Hip Abductors?

Found myself having pain in the hip and butt about two months ago. Along with this came back pain too. Minor sciatica was showing up too (tingling in the feet, etc). Went to the doctor and he said it might be a herniated disc. He told me to take a few weeks off and prescribed some muscle relaxers.

Anyway, the relaxers did nothing. Went to chiro for a month but the pain only seemed to get worse. Started going to physio and they said I had piriformis syndrome; that my glute was too tight and it was pressing against a nerve as well as creating hip pain. They gave me 4 stretches to do 3 times a day.

Anyway, thats two weeks ago. the stretches seem to do nothing but aggrivate my glute and the glute pain is worse than ever, as well as the hip. Back pain seems to have died down.

Now I haven't done squats or deadlifts in about a month and a half and its depressing me. I quit working out alltogether about 4 weeks ago. All treatments have done nothing and the pain is still there, especially in the glute/hips. I initially thought it came from BOR's and Deadlifts but now I have no idea.

Has anyone ever been through something like this? Any kind of insight would help.

Cliffs:

-back started to ache over a span of a few weeks, stopped squat/DL's/BOR's
    -hip, back, glute pain. minor sciatica
    -chiro and physio did nothing
    -have been resting for 6 weeks, no change
    -glute aches all day
    -haven't done squats in a while, sad
    -looks to bb.com for help
    -profit...??
    Current:

285/345/425

Goal:

315/405/495

sadiq23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have the exact same problem, it started a week ago, now the pains getting worse everyday. this is what you call 'pain in the butt'

bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Happens to me every once in a while. It's caused by your sciatic nerve running through the piriformis instead of under it. There are surgery options but proper stretching and rest will do just fine. I get it once in a while, about every 6 mos or so it comes back and I have trouble walking for a few days. Just do deep static stretches on it and try to walk around as much as possible once you get going (takes a while, putting on socks is particularly awful). Basically it will get worse the longer the muscle isnt used, which is why it's worse when you wake up. I try to get up and move around at least a few times an hour as well as do deep streches about 3 or 4 times a day. Try to sleep on a firm mattress and do hot/cold treatment on it. Don't do leg or back days while it's sore until it's totally healed.
    My 9 month transformation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPuZ3z0dKmQ

jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stretch the Piriformis.

Start looking for muscle imbalances in your body - the hip connects the upper body with the lower body is should never be neglected. I'd say just focus on stretching now, you could heat the specific muscle to help it relax, and stretch it right after.

Take it very seriously, or it could cause a lot of damage in the long run. If you carry your wallet in your back pocket, move it to the front pocket.
    http://www.TorontoFitness.org - Toronto's #1 Fitness Related Website

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have the same problem and stretching the piriformis only worsens it, surprisingly enough deadlifting makes my butt pain go away for a bit probably because of the glute action? No idea it ****ing hurts, I've had this for a year now and absolutely no one can help me.
    Toronto is Bake crew
    Raptors-Jays-Leafs-Bills. Best 2/10 sport teams crew.
    Herniated Dick crew
    Mike Tyson admirer crew
    Homeboy Leroy crew

Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Physio35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hot tub, stretching and foam roll massage may help to treat this kind of pain. Stretching alone won't do the job. I've had some good success with some of my clients with the treatment listed above.

JK

adam.garbe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does it hurt in the frontal plane of one or both your hips? I just had an MRI after a year of glute, hip, IT pain, and what they found is called Gluteal Tendinosis. Pretty much, the IT bands connection point to my gluteus minimus is siezed or some jazz. Perscription = Deep tissue massage. Aka. An hour of excruciating pain!

In three visits, A LOT of my pain is gone. LOTS of referral pain runs down my leg, into my knee, and sometimes even into my calf/ankle when extreme pressure is applied to the painful area in my butt. If you have ANY sort of referral pain running down your leg, there is a small chance it's NOT sciatic. For a year this is what they thought it was on me, and in 3 visits to a massage therapist, I'm almost pain free and should be soon with some physio. (Hopefully)

Maybe this will help some of you... if you google gluteal tendinosis also known as "Dead butt syndrome" it'll explain it better than I can.

Its mostly found in marathon runners. Glutes tire out, and all the pressure is sent to the hips after running awhile, then everything siezes up because the hip muscles can't take it. I did it deadlifting in the morning really heavy, then playing 3 hours of ultimate frisbee in the afternoon. Same effect.

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ive been working on opening my the hips through mobility stuff and since the agile 8, which includes rolling the it bands, and piriformis, glues, etc im getting much less back pain and other pain in that area.

check out the agile 8 and the massage type stuff. the lacross ball on the piriformis is killer (start with tennis ball)

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...tml#question04
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

randhawa007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I got the same injury six months ago

I got the same injury six months ago, while doing heavy squats. I think the reason why I got it is because I didn't warm up enough. I have been going light sometimes and randomly go heavy. It sucks, I can't hit the gym as hard I used to. I tried several treatments nothing seems to help. Tried cupping therapy, accupuncture and a lot of streteching.

I have an MRI appointment in two weeks so hopefully i'll know exactly what is wrong with it. My other therapist told me I have piriformis syndrome so I have been doing stretches according to that.

But every time I run or sit for a long time then stand up, it hurts like a bitch. It sucks man, I am only 21, really wish this got back to normal.

I see this post was posted back in 2011, is your injury better yet? Please let me know. Thanks

Originally Posted by wu_renegade View Post
    Found myself having pain in the hip and butt about two months ago. Along with this came back pain too. Minor sciatica was showing up too (tingling in the feet, etc). Went to the doctor and he said it might be a herniated disc. He told me to take a few weeks off and prescribed some muscle relaxers.

Anyway, the relaxers did nothing. Went to chiro for a month but the pain only seemed to get worse. Started going to physio and they said I had piriformis syndrome; that my glute was too tight and it was pressing against a nerve as well as creating hip pain. They gave me 4 stretches to do 3 times a day.

Anyway, thats two weeks ago. the stretches seem to do nothing but aggrivate my glute and the glute pain is worse than ever, as well as the hip. Back pain seems to have died down.

Now I haven't done squats or deadlifts in about a month and a half and its depressing me. I quit working out alltogether about 4 weeks ago. All treatments have done nothing and the pain is still there, especially in the glute/hips. I initially thought it came from BOR's and Deadlifts but now I have no idea.

Has anyone ever been through something like this? Any kind of insight would help.

Cliffs:

-back started to ache over a span of a few weeks, stopped squat/DL's/BOR's
    -hip, back, glute pain. minor sciatica
    -chiro and physio did nothing
    -have been resting for 6 weeks, no change
    -glute aches all day
    -haven't done squats in a while, sad
    -looks to bb.com for help
    -profit...??

sikhkd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did you ever resolve the pain in your glutes? I'm currently going trough it now and it's ruining my life. Can't work out as hard nor walk properly and it's been a year