Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)

HalleluYAH's Amino Acid/Whey Isolate Bulking Experiment

Amino Acid/Whey Isolate Bulking Experiment
    by HalleluYAH

All,

In light of recent conversations in the Post Workout Product Comparison & In Between Meal Amino Acid/Protein Supplementation threads, I have decided to create this experiment.

It is with much anticipation and excitement that I embark on this experiment to determine what, if any, significant alterations in bodyweight/lean body mass will be achieved.

The Science and Theoretical Applications:

Part I of III– In Between Meals

Based on research, it is purported that the use of amino acids/protein in between meals can have significant impact on muscle protein synthesis. However, there is an inhibitory mechanism associated with slow releasing protein sources and/or continual intravenous-like feeding (as indicated in excerpt No.1 below; paragraphs 2 & 3). So, I have eliminated the idea of using casein and/or slowly sipping on amino acids in between meals.

Recent research also purports (as indicated in excerpt No.1) that use of a rapidly digesting protein source, in between meals, can promote significant increases in protein synthesis, even when administered 1 hour apart. That said, additional research is needed to determine what the refractory period is for leucine stimulated protein synthesis.

Thus, in light of the aforementioned, I have decided that Whey Protein Isolate will be my in between meal source of Amino Acids, and will be taken 3 x per day at a dose of 33g. These shakes will be taken in addition to my normal dietary baseline, which has remained largely consistent for two years now, thus making any significant changes in bodyweight/lean bodymass easy to measure.

Excerpt No. 1

References Cited in Excerpt No.1:
    40. Wolfe RR. Regulation of muscle protein by amino acids. J Nutr. 2002, 132:3219S-24S.

63. Bohe J, Low JF, Wolfe RR, Rennie MJ. Latency and duration of stimulation of human muscle protein synthesis during continuous infusion of amino acids. J Physiol. 2001, 15;532:575-9.

65. Ha E, Zemel MB. Functional properties of whey, whey components, and essential amino acids: mechanisms
    underlying health benefits for active people (review). J Nutr Biochem. 2003, 14:251-8.

Full Text Here: http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.or...-1-7-27-06.pdf

Part II of III– Adding Leucine/EAAs to Meals

Next, I have decided to administer 14g mixture of EAA (includes 4.8g Leucine) to each of my 4 primary meals throughout the day. Again, this is added to my normal dietary baseline.

Based on the information presented by Venom (abc bodybuilding; Excerpt No.2 below), it appears that a normal meals consisting of 30g protein from a chicken breast or steak would yield 3g of leucine. 3g of leucine falls short of the desired level of 4g+ as indicated in Excerpt No.3 below. There may also prove to be insufficient amounts of other EAAs in a steak and or chicken meals, and there may be a loss of viable aminos in prepared whole foods due to heat etc (see Excerpt No.4 below). There is also the issue of digestion, and since whole foods have a much lower biological value than free form amino acids, I believe the addition of 14g (includes 4.8g Leucine) EAA mixture will prove beneficial in many ways.

Excerpt No.2
    Originally Posted by Venom
    Assuming that most high quality proteins such as whey and meats are approximately 10 % leucine then roughly 30 to 40 grams of protein will meet the 3-4 gram leucine standard in a single setting, which is roughly 150 to 200 calories. If consuming an essential amino acid supplement such as the Essential Amino Acid shooter, one serving administers 3 grams of leucine at 45 calories per serving.
    Excerpt No.3

Excerpt No.4
    Originally Posted by By Barry Finnin, PhD, and Samuel Peters
    • Cooking - Amino acids are more or less sensitive to heat. For example, arginine is extremely stable and will decompose only if exposed to sustained temperatures about 470 degrees F. Carnitine decomposes at temperatures of 284 F. Cooking, in addition to killing micro-organisms, makes the long spiral polypeptide chains unwind, causing the amino acid to become more exposed when it reaches the digestive system.
    • Physical nature of the food, whether solid, liquid, powder or tablet; whether and to what extent chemically predigested and the type and amounts of binders, fillers and other nutritive and non-nutritive materials.

Part III of III – Mid Sleep Meal

Lastly, based on research completed by our very own Layne Norton (str8flexed) as compiled by Jacob Wilson in the excerpt below, it appears that implementation of a mid-sleep meals may have drastic implications on maintaining a positive nitrogen balance, promoting overnight anabolism, and attenuating overnight muscle protein catabolism (see Excerpt No.5)

Thus, I have decided to set a second alarm each night, one for work, the other for my mid-sleep meal. This meal will consist of 14g of EAA/BCAA mixture (includes 10g Leucine) + Glutamine as it is purported that the addition of glutamine may assist the liver in producing glucose during fasting, while sparing BCAAs in muscle tissue.

Excerpt No.5
    Originally Posted by Jacob Wilson
    I am suggesting that for the bodybuilder the nighttime sleeping period is one of the most critical to manipulate for optimal gains. The night sleeping period is a time in which movement is slowest and the potential for growth is optimized. The first step to taking advantage of the night period is the pre bed meal, which should consist of a slow digesting source of protein such as casein or meat. The second phase occurs in the middle of the sleep period when the individual enters into the postprandial state. During this time, protein synthesis lowers. Research indicates that protein synthesis can lower with a range of 15-55 % after an overnight fast (Norten et al., 2003; Svanberg et al., 1996)! Further studies suggest that overnight infusion of BCAAs can attenuate the negative effects seen in protein balance (Louard et al., 1995). Without an intervention however the result is net catabolism. If we assume that the average individual who consumes a proper pre bed meal enters into a state of net catabolism for 4 hours per night, the loss does not seem like much, particularly if the individual eats properly for the remainder of the day. However, when added over a year’s time this accumulates to approximately 1500 hours or a 60 full days of time! The question each bodybuilder should ask is what is optimal for their program. You be the judge.

60 days of muscle tissue loss or 60 days of muscle tissue growth?

Fortunately evidence clearly demonstrates that even a small amount of leucine corresponding to 3 grams found in 30 grams of whey protein, or a 45 calorie serving of amino acid shooter can completely reverse these negative effects (Layman et al.,
    2003). This was confirmed in an extensive review by Norton et al. (2006) who found that conditions of lowered protein synthesis (e.g overnight fasting and long duration endurance exercise) are associated with depletion of leucine levels (discussed in detail in the effects of leucine on exercise). Further, when leucine alone or along with a rich protein source is administered these negative effects are completely reversed and the participant enters into a state of positive protein balance (Norton et al., 2006).

The Supplements:

I know, I know, I rep for Scivation/Primaforce, and the supplements used will be our brand, however, it is because of my affiliation that I am able to afford this experiment.

Part I – In Between Meals
    1.5 Servings Substance WPI (33g Whey Isolate)

Part II – Adding Leucine/EAAs to Meals
    1 Serving Primal EAA (14g of EAA; include 4.8g Leucine)

Part III – Mid Sleep Meal
    1.5 Servings Xtend + .5 Serving Primal EAA (EAAs + Glutamine; includes 10g Leucine)

Note: I am currently running a postWO log for Designer Supplements Replenish™, and will continue using this product, postWO, for the duration of this log. I lift 2-3 times per week, utilizing full body routines.

Other:
    All of these products taste great and have excellent mixability, and thus will be a pleasure to implement, convenient to use and very practical (except for waking up at 3:30 in the AM for the mid-sleep meal ).

The experiment will begin on Thursday, January 25, 2007 and will continue until Friday February 28th. Let’s see what a little over one months does.

Before pics will be posted this week, and my starting bodyweight is 188lbs.
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 01-23-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Psalms 51:10-13

SWIFT. SILENT. DEADLY. FORCE RECON's Avatar
    FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FORCE RECON has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck Hal. I will be along for the ride
    United States Marine Corps: RECON

It's God's job to forgive Bin Laden. It's our job to arrange the meeting.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    AWESOME experiment!

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This will be an interesting experiment.

Are you taking into account the extra protein/calories or are you adjusting your diet?

Any gains you may experience may come just from taking in additional calories not necessarily the protein timing.
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

Xtend is the Greatest Scivation's Avatar
    Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post

Are you taking into account the extra protein/calories or are you adjusting your diet?

Any gains you may experience may come just from taking in additional calories not necessarily the protein timing.
    So you're saying that Fruit Loops with the same amount of calories will work just as well as amino acids?

Unless we threw down tens of thousands on a controlled clinical study, this is as good as it gets!
    www.scivation.com

Follow Us On
    ********: http://www.********.com/scivation
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/scivation

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    interesting stuff.. The added protein maybe the reason for any increase, however, and not necessarily the timing of things.

uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uhockey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any chance this is going to interfere with the Replenish log? Good experiment, regardless.
    My place in here at bb.com is as a fitness enthusiast and recommendations do not represent medical advice. Please consult your examining physician for all medical concerns.

I'm not a "rep," and most "reps":
    1) are no more credentialed than you. 2) have no input and no understanding of their product formulations. 3) are merely paid in free product from the company they represent.

http://www.drivensports.co.uk/
    http://www.getds.com/

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Scivation View Post
    So you're saying that Fruit Loops with the same amount of calories will work just as well as amino acids?

Unless we threw down tens of thousands on a controlled clinical study, this is as good as it gets!
    Not saying that the calories are equal at all. Just pointing out that the extra calories/protein could be the cause of the gains. If I was Hal I would back out the equal amount of protein that he is adding from what he is currently eating.
    Free Agent

Xtend is the Greatest Scivation's Avatar
    Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Scivation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by uhockey View Post
    Any chance this is going to interfere with the Replenish log? Good experiment, regardless.
    Oh blah.
    www.scivation.com

Follow Us On
    ********: http://www.********.com/scivation
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/scivation

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh blah.

HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks naturalguy.

Excellent questions, and the answer is yes, I will be lowering kcals to compensate for the additional 99g of protein. Thus, I will lover total kcals by approx. 400 caloried per day. This will be easy, I will cut out my nightly bowl of cereal that I should not be eating anyways.

Originally Posted by uhockey View Post
    Thanks uhockey. I appreciate your support.

I do not feel it will interefere as DS Replenish wil continue to have me covered for postWO nutrition.

Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Very interesting Hal. I'm subbing to this mate.
    Believe to Achieve
    Work Hard Play Hard
    The above are my views only and do not constitute to medical advice

Originally Posted by HalleluYAH View Post
    Thanks naturalguy.

Excellent questions, and the answer is yes, I will be lowering kcals to compensate for the additional 99g of protein. Thus, I will lover total kcals by approx. 400 caloried per day. This will be easy, I will cut out my nightly bowl of cereal that I should not be eating anyways.
    Good deal
    Free Agent

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just pointing out that the extra calories/protein could be the cause of the gains. If I was Hal I would back out the equal amount of protein that he is adding from what he is currently eating.
    ^^^^true!

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This will be easy, I will cut out my nightly bowl of cereal that I should not be eating anyways.
    this measure alone will give you a nighttime GH boost, since carbs (especially those pre bed) are assumed to blunt GH release during night.

Thumbs up

Hal, let me say that this thread and your experiment as such is absolutely GREAT!

Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
    this measure alone will give you a nighttime GH boost, since carbs (especially those pre bed) are assumed to blunt GH release during night.
    Good point, and agreed.

Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
    Hal, let me say that this thread and your experiment as such is absolutely GREAT!
    Much appreciated, especially considering the source.

Originally Posted by skircus7 View Post
    Good luck Hal. I will be along for the ride
    Originally Posted by Mr. Aries View Post
    interesting stuff.. The added protein maybe the reason for any increase, however, and not necessarily the timing of things.
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    AWESOME experiment!
    Thanks good gents. Tis an honor to have your audience, and I look forward to receiving feedback.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    very cool, let me know how it goes. Though I believe the work has been somewhat misinterpreted by the reviewers who said leucine won't stimulate protein synthesis without taking it with protein. All studies done on leucine are done in a fasted state... thus your amino acid levels are low anyway... when you give leucine you stimulate protein synthesis and your body starts incooperating all amino acids into whole proteins in the cell... in order to do this it needs MORE of the other amino acids to continue protein synthesis, well in a fasted state you just don't have that many plasma amino acids and thus protein synthesis grinds to a hault. Bodybuilders are almost NEVER in a fasted state (maybe after an overnight sleep), so as long as you've had some protein source within around 4-5 hours of taking leucine chances are you will NOT experience a problem with limiting synthesis.

I also vehemetely disagree with the reviewer who believes that the precurser pool for protein synthesis is extracellular amino acids; Garlick has repeatedly shown in his stable isotope work that this is not the case.

-Layne

Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    very cool, let me know how it goes. Though I believe the work has been somewhat misinterpreted by the reviewers who said leucine won't stimulate protein synthesis without taking it with protein. All studies done on leucine are done in a fasted state... thus your amino acid levels are low anyway... when you give leucine you stimulate protein synthesis and your body starts incooperating all amino acids into whole proteins in the cell... in order to do this it needs MORE of the other amino acids to continue protein synthesis, well in a fasted state you just don't have that many plasma amino acids and thus protein synthesis grinds to a hault. Bodybuilders are almost NEVER in a fasted state (maybe after an overnight sleep), so as long as you've had some protein source within around 4-5 hours of taking leucine chances are you will NOT experience a problem with limiting synthesis.

I also vehemetely disagree with the reviewer who believes that the precurser pool for protein synthesis is extracellular amino acids; Garlick has repeatedly shown in his stable isotope work that this is not the case.

-Layne
    Thanks for the feedback sir. excellent points (as always).

Many blessings as you prepare for your upcoming presentation on this subject. I look forward to any/all information you are able to share - post presentation of course.
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 01-23-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Bump.

Part I of III– In Between Meals

Based on research, it is purported that the use of amino acids/protein in between meals can have significant impact on muscle protein synthesis. However, there is an inhibitory mechanism associated with slow releasing protein sources and/or continual intravenous-like feeding (as indicated in excerpt No.1 below; paragraphs 2 & 3). So, I have eliminated the idea of using casein and/or slowly sipping on amino acids in between meals.

Recent research also purports (as indicated in excerpt No.1) that use of a rapidly digesting protein source, in between meals, can promote significant increases in protein synthesis, even when administered 1 hour apart. That said, additional research is needed to determine what the refractory period is for leucine stimulated protein synthesis.

Thus, in light of the aforementioned, I have decided that Whey Protein Isolate will be my in between meal source of Amino Acids, and will be taken 3 x per day at a dose of 33g. These shakes will be taken in addition to my normal dietary baseline, which has remained largely consistent for two years now, thus making any significant changes in bodyweight/lean bodymass easy to measure.
    A follow up on the science behind the above rationale...

Full Text Here: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/10/3219S

Bolus versus constant infusion

The response of MPS to a bolus of amino acids is quite different from the response to a constant infusion. There is a rapid increase in MPS in conjunction with the rise in EAA concentration, and an equally rapid fall as the EAA concentrations begin to decrease (Fig. 3 ). However, the rate of MPS returned to the basal value well before the concentration fell to the basal level. In fact, in the example shown in Figure 3 , after ingestion of 15 g of EAA, net balance (as well as the rate of MPS) had returned to the basal rate when the plasma concentration was still more than double the basal value. In contrast, when plasma concentrations were increased to a steady-state concentration for 3 h at a value twice above the basal value, the maximal stimulation of MPS was achieved (17 ). Furthermore, whereas the response to a bolus is transient, the peak response may be 6- to 10-fold the basal value. Nonetheless, because of the transient nature of the response, the total synthetic response (area under curve of synthesis vs. time) was less than when similar doses of amino acids were taken in the constant intake mode as opposed to the bolus ingestion (Fig. 4 ). Thus, different mechanisms appear to be operative in response to the mode of ingestion. Clarification of these mechanisms could lead to amplifying the response to a given amount of intake.

Figure 3

Figure 4
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 01-24-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Update:

While the main emphasis of Part I of III in this experiment is administering protein every 90minutes throughout the day is to increase MPS and gauge the AA/Leucine refractory period, I have some concerns regarding increased protein oxidation resulting from the increased intake. Thus, in effort to hinder this, I have decided to take 1.5 tbsp of Natural Peanut Butter with each of the (3) above WPI shakes.

I will be eliminating the 1.5tbsp of natty PB from each of my first 3 meals of the day to compensate.

Last edited by HalleluYAH; 01-25-2007 at 06:11 AM.

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    protein oxidation isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

protein oxidation isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be.
    That's good to hear.

Adding the kcals from CHO/FAT to the WPI shakes should prevent the PRO from oxidizing, however if my diet consists of oats at 3 hours intervals, then blood sugar should be high/steady enough to inhibit the WPI from oxidizing.

Is this what you mean?
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 01-25-2007 at 07:05 AM.

this is actually something my professor & i discussed, just because something gets oxidized does not make it physiological irrelevent... who says that molecule of leucine that gets oxidized didn't activate mTOR beforehand. People make a big deal out of whey having higher oxidation than casein, but whey has a higher BV than casein and BV is a measure of how much protein is retained overall compared to how much is absorbed BV= (total nitrogen intake-urinary loss)/(total nitrogen intake - urine losses & fecal losses) which means =amount of nitrogen retained/amount of nitrogen absorbed. If oxidation really meant so much wouldn't you think casein would lead to a greater total protein retention? But it doesn't workout that way, I suspect because whey has almost 75% greater leucine content than casein

this log is not going fast enough.. I want the end results NOW

On a side note, my DOMS have been almost entirely blunted by the infusion of EAAs/BCAAs taken in between meals.. When I was not doing this, DOMS lingered around for much longer... Taking EAAs have enabled me to train more frequently and still reap the benefits.. I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Agreed
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

this is actually something my professor & i discussed, just because something gets oxidized does not make it physiological irrelevent... who says that molecule of leucine that gets oxidized didn't activate mTOR beforehand. People make a big deal out of whey having higher oxidation than casein, but whey has a higher BV than casein and BV is a measure of how much protein is retained overall compared to how much is absorbed BV= (total nitrogen intake-urinary loss)/(total nitrogen intake - urine losses & fecal losses) which means =amount of nitrogen retained/amount of nitrogen absorbed. If oxidation really meant so much wouldn't you think casein would lead to a greater total protein retention? But it doesn't workout that way, I suspect because whey has almost 75% greater leucine content than casein
    Once again you continue to impress. Thank you for sharing this in~sight!

this log is not going fast enough.. I want the end results NOW

On a side note, my DOMS have been almost entirely blunted by the infusion of EAAs/BCAAs taken in between meals.. When I was not doing this, DOMS lingered around for much longer... Taking EAAs have enabled me to train more frequently and still reap the benefits.. I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion.
    Definitely relevant.