Thread: Crystal Light

Forum Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forum Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Crystal Light

Can someone advise me on Crystal Light?

I heave heard about how it contains aspartame that may lead to store fat and is counterproductive for losing weight.

Does anyone have factual evidence on this?

My diet is spot on and but I drink crystal light, I have a hard time drinking my required daily amount of water so I use Crystal Light as a means of increasing water cnsumption, what do you guys think?

ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here's a link that explains it with diet soda:
    http://obesity.ygoy.com/2009/07/10/w...u-gain-weight/

You should stick with water.
    January 4th 2008 - 220lbs
    October 2008 - 170lbs

Food is for fuel, not for fun.

thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Forum Guy View Post
    Can someone advise me on Crystal Light?

I heave heard about how it contains aspartame that may lead to store fat and is counterproductive for losing weight.

Does anyone have factual evidence on this?

My diet is spot on and but I drink crystal light, I have a hard time drinking my required daily amount of water so I use Crystal Light as a means of increasing water cnsumption, what do you guys think?
    I'm down a pant size (6 weeks into my cut) while drinking tremendous amounts of similar products. But I do track the 5 calories per serving on my daily intake.

I highly recommend the Ocean Spray White Cran Peach drinks
    http://www.oceanspray.com/products/Drink_Mixes.aspx I'm addicted to it!! Once I start drinking it, I cannot stop until it's all gone.

Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Butterfly09 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Check the labels also-some like the plain tea contains corn syrup solids (powdered not bottled). I stalled for a month in my weight loss and started reading labels and discovered this. I was drinking a lot of it and stopping and switching to plain water helped break my stall.
    ***"Fibro & lifting = "I still hurt but I hurt better"***

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ManUnit View Post

You should stick with water.
    Why Does Drinking Diet Soda Make You Gain Weight?
    Here are a few reasons for diet soda - weight gain:

Calorie Deficit: Experts say that our brain has a link between the taste and calories. So, when you eat a sugary food, the brain expects the calories to come along with it. When the body does not get the calories along with the diet soda ?you tend to overeat to compensate the calories.

Increases preference for sugar: Drinking diet soda regularly can increase your sugar cravings. Sugar has been found to be addictive. So, when you drink diet soda regularly, you may be programming yourself for a high preference for sweet foods ? which in turn can result in weight gain.

Replaces Healthy Drinks: When you drink diet soda, you would be having less of healthy drinks such as fruits juices and water ? which are important to stay healthy

that =/= "diet soda makes u gain weight". these are all indirect reasons, and they are not, in any way, evidence that diet soda makes u gain weight

hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, aspartame and other artificial sweetener can make your life more difficult while on a cut, and the reason is insulin regulation.

Normally, when we eat something sweet the body increases insulin production. This is normal as the primary function of insulin is to transport sugars from the digestive system to the mitochondria where they are burned as fuel. However, you don't actually need to eat the sugar to upregulate insulin production; just the anticipation of a meal in the near future will get the body to produce more (ever had your mouth start watering when you smelled something good?).

Artificial sweeteners have the same effect, at least on some people. Those who drank aspartame sweetened drinks had a bump in insulin level. Problem with that is insulin cannot act on artificial substances; only real sugar. As a result, the body craves sugars (real sugar) as a result of the increased insulin levels, at least until the insulin goes away (it is a fairly fast acting hormone). Some suggest that constantly upregulating insulin with no sugars on which to act contributes to insulin resistance. Not all people are affected the same by aspartame - your mileage may vary!

Artificial sweeteners have zero calories and will not make you fat. However, if they stimulate your appetite you will gain weight from the additional food.

Here is an article on the subject: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2359769

Despite the article link above, there is considerable debate about whether aspartame helps or hurts dieters. I have found lots of articles from good researchers that come to opposing conclusions (and no conclusion at all). Personally, I choose to avoid Crystal Light and Diet Coke, but that is just me.
    May 31 WT: 227.6 BF%: 33.2%
    June 28 WT: 216.2 BF%: 32.0%
    July 26 WT: 207.6 BF%: 30.2%
    Aug 30 WT: 199.8 BF%: 28.7%

Goal WT: 155 BF%: 10.0%

From Fatass to Badass OilSooner's Avatar
    OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OilSooner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agree with Hodag.

I have lost 30 pounds drinking at least 1/2 gallon of crystal light per day.

Each person is different.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.

If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending.

paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paddrino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I typically just keep a bottle of lime juice at my desk and put in a few teaspoons with my water bottle. I like things sour though.
    SciVation Whey
    ON creatine mono
    Omega 3-6-9
    Orange Triad
    Purple Wraath

99 problems, i ain't one. Problem's Avatar
    Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Problem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have evidence.

i drink about a gallon of crystal light a day and i'm still losing weight.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

NPC hobbiest

Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swelin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't have the same amounts as everyone else, but I'm some where around a Litre a day while still losing each week for a on going 48.
    Last edited by Swelin; 08-18-2009 at 02:33 PM.

merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000) merse is just really nice. (+1000)
    im loosing weight and crystal light is my savour! without it id go nuts
    no idea if its hindering my progress at all, but its saving me mentally!
    im drinking like 2 gallons a day (not all crystal light) and if i was having plain water and eating what boring arse foods im eating id go nuts. its saving my life at the moment
    -->>MMC<<--
    "Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island."

Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ManUnit View Post
    This is the same as that new Time Magazine article saying that exercise will make you fat.

Get your diet in check and none of it will matter.
    Judging from the covers of countless women's magazines, the two topics most interesting to women are: (1) Why men are all disgusting pigs, and (2) How to attract men.

I always rep back

Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amandarose531 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It really varies by person.

If you drink it and retain weight, don't drink it.

If not, enjoy.
    You get back what you put in.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Drinking generic Crystal Lite has helped me to reach a lower bodyweight, and I don't buy any of the claims that drinking low-cal items with artificial sweeteners make people bloat or hurt the weight loss process.
    --- Nick ---

foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50) foxbody351w will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by merse View Post
    im loosing weight and crystal light is my savour! without it id go nuts
    no idea if its hindering my progress at all, but its saving me mentally!
    im drinking like 2 gallons a day (not all crystal light) and if i was having plain water and eating what boring arse foods im eating id go nuts. its saving my life at the moment
    If it saves you mentally then stick with it..but I would try and go 1 solid week of NO sweeteners of any kind and see what kind of results you get..if nothing changes then go back to drinking the Crystal Light..BUT from my experience (with my own body of course) once I eliminated any artificial sweeteners of any kind from my diet I lost more weight, was less bloated, and my body literally felt better.

You could also try drinking plain herbal teas (iced or hot)..some are actually sweet-like Egyptian Licorice tea, just an idea.

thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know that this does not apply to everyone but, whenever I drink diet soda or crystal light type products I seem have a ravenous hunger. I drink tons of water and eat on the same schedule everyday. If I drink a soda I will have a huge increase in appetite and be likely to cheat. This may not apply to you but for me and potentially only me diet beverages sabotage my diet.

NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10) NorthernMist is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hmm

Ya I think I have had (not a good thing) gallons of diet soda from when I started my original cut to now and had no problem dropping over 100 pounds in a short amount of time. Of course if drinking a diet soda makes you hungry for other surgery items that do contain allot of calories and carbs I can see it being a problem.

I still think allot of these diet soda makes you gain weight surveys are in relations to over weight people eating mass amounts of food and think a diet soda cancels things out. I see it all the time people will get extra large fry's few burgers, desert (large portions) then will say diet soda plz. This is not an accurate way of measuring the effects of diet soda. Reminds me of the second hand smoke stats where they would add anyone to the number that died if they lived in a home where there was a smoker. No matter what the cause of death was, dude got hit by a car and his wife smoked the second hand smoke results would show +1 died second hand smoke. Just because the numbers might show that more fat people drink diet soda vs skinny people does not mean the diet soda is what is making them fat.

Sorry for the ramble
    "Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach."
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikelog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I lost 20 pounds a year ago after switching from regular soda to diet soda, but I guess that is somewhat different. Crystal lite is not much different from diet soda minus the carbonation. I don't see how it could stop weight loss if you are eating at a deficit. I feel the same with sugar consumption. Most people say to avoid sugar on a diet. Here is a study I found, but it is not recent.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tblake87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If have the self-control to not be tempted to overeat or cheat, then you will be fine. I drink diet soda or crystal light every single day, I just make sure I get my daily requirements of water too.
    *United States Marine Corps*
    LCpl Status achieved

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To me, drinking low/no calorie drinks like this help over time. The alternative are things with calories, and over time it all adds up. I am back to my normal bodyweight of 165lbs because I have decided to take advantage of low/no cal drinks, along with watching what I eat, and I recommend others do the same. You don't have to starve yourself to keep your diet in check, and those things can still fill you up and not hit you hard in terms of your diet.
    --- Nick ---

ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManUnit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Krique View Post
    This is the same as that new Time Magazine article saying that exercise will make you fat.

Get your diet in check and none of it will matter.
    Come on, I never said you will get fat from drinking soda. My point is, if you want to be healthy (which to me is more important than big pecs) you should drink water. It sounds like some people are using it as a way to get off of sugar which is cool, but why drink something that may make you crave sugar, has aspartame and potentially unhealthy items?

BUT... I drink coffee
    January 4th 2008 - 220lbs
    October 2008 - 170lbs

Food is for fuel, not for fun.

tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it will not make you gain weight crystal lite wont make you gain weight
    thats just like stating the smoking marijuana will make you gain weight?
    i dont check back to my posts (rarely)
    please dont argue
    make your own conclusions. good day.

Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000)
    The calories are negligble. There is research showing that even artificial sweeteners increase appetite or the desire for sweets. If you're aware of this and still stay in a caloric deficit, crystal light is just fine.