sgoharley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

45 yr old male supplements

I am 45 and have lifted off and on over the years. i have now been lifting consistently 2-3 times per week for 6 months. I would like to take supps to cut fat and gain definition but dont know what i need to take. does anyone have ideas? what will help me lose body fat, gain strength and definition. i am not generally looking for size just definition and strength. thanks for the help.

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Supplement augment a good diet.

If your diet is crap, then the supplements won't help at all.

That being said....

- fish oil for omega 3s...anti inflammatory, heart health, promotes fat loss in some measure
    - glucosamine - aids the body in rebuilding cartilage in joints and ligaments
    - whey protein - typically used after lifting it is helpful in recovery, repair and is also used by the body for other healthy reasons
    - multivitamin - fill gaps in daily nutrition

Fat burners that are inexpensive and proven
    - coffee
    - green tea or green tea extra
    - hot peppers
    - turamac (sp?) powder
    - timed eating of meals every 3 hours
    - elevated levels of protein in the diet

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sgoharley View Post
    I am 45 and have lifted off and on over the years. i have now been lifting consistently 2-3 times per week for 6 months. I would like to take supps to cut fat and gain definition but dont know what i need to take. does anyone have ideas? what will help me lose body fat, gain strength and definition. i am not generally looking for size just definition and strength. thanks for the help.
    I honestly dont think there is a "supplement" for what your looking for...i wish there was!! you just need to eat a good clean diet, watch your calories (lots of people here can help you with that) and get some cardio in. you can either hit the cardio machines at the gym or even just get out and do a brisk walk 3-4 times a week. work your way up to about three miles and make it harder by trying to decrease your time weekly. Good Luck
    O35 5'8" Crew

Lovin' the fit life SavageWannaBe's Avatar
    SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000) SavageWannaBe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some battles are won in the kitchen. Ridding yourself of excess bodyfat is one of those battles.

That said, I've tried a few fat burners and haven't been terribly impressed. If you're already cutting fat from doing some cardio and maintaining solid nutrition, they probably help a tad bit, but they won't help you unless you're already on the path to losing fat.

Also, I've found in monstrously difficult to both lose fat and gain muscle/strength at the same time (after my initial newbie period where I could do both easily).
    The man who says he can and man who says he can't are both right ... which one do you want to be?

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just looked at your body stats.. says you have 34 inch arms and you weigh 185. I take back my walking advice. you might beat yourself to death
    O35 5'8" Crew

sgoharley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jtcook View Post
    I just looked at your body stats.. says you have 34 inch arms and you weigh 185. I take back my walking advice. you might beat yourself to death
    I thought that meant length of arms. I am a 16 x 34 shirt. I dont know what the actual length is. I have been doing a pretty good job on diet for the last year or more. i was writing down all foods and eating about 1500-1800 cal's per day. problem is that some of that was burger king and subway etc. i know i need to cut salt and have just recently cut out diet soda. moved to sparkling soda and water. trying to eat home more. went back to eating breakfast.
    i would like to get body fat to 18-20 if possible. i have started using bike and rower at gym after workouts and will build that up. thinking swimming might help but not sure if motivated for that.
    i was really wondering if creatine and such will be of any help to me?

jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jscan1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

The Best Supplements are

Made by Star Track, Precor, and Life Fitness, Use them for twenty or thirty minutes after you weightlift, then keep your eating at 500 to 1000 below maintenance, and drink coffee or tea.......If it was as simple as taking a pill we would not have a weight epidemic in this country

BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50) BUDTAO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SavageWannaBe View Post
    Some battles are won in the kitchen.
    And on the treadmill!

And post pix of the 34in guns or they dont exist! ;-)

Cheers,
    Andrew
    (Im surrounded by Enternet Ediots)

Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50) Klayfish will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I thought that meant length of arms. I am a 16 x 34 shirt. I dont know what the actual length is. I have been doing a pretty good job on diet for the last year or more. i was writing down all foods and eating about 1500-1800 cal's per day. problem is that some of that was burger king and subway etc. i know i need to cut salt and have just recently cut out diet soda. moved to sparkling soda and water. trying to eat home more. went back to eating breakfast.
    i would like to get body fat to 18-20 if possible. i have started using bike and rower at gym after workouts and will build that up. thinking swimming might help but not sure if motivated for that.
    i was really wondering if creatine and such will be of any help to me?
    Are you sure you're tracking your foods accurately? Subway does have some things that aren't too bad (I love their sweet onion chicken teryiaki), but a meal from Burger King is probably 1500 calories by itself. Also, I think 1500 calories is far too low, even if you're trying to lose weight.

As has been said, the right diet will do 100x more than any supplement. Use them as just what they're called "supplements", which means as additions to your proper diet. I use whey protein and love it.

rathmann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rathmann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read the thread title and thought ... I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT USE any supplements that are 45 years old!

Sorry. Could not resist that.

Plus one on the red pepper, caffeine and green tea. I am cutting right now, and am hitting the sugar free energy drinks before cardio. I have to be careful with these because they can become habit forming. But avoiding foods that slow your system down and lead immediately to fat creation is probably more important than adding supplements.

I am finding that the better my diet, the more energy I have to hammer away at myself to cut fat and increase definition. Other guys here can quote you the science and are more advanced ... I am just some out of shape guy climbing back on the wagon.
    Soul shine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

jeff foster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    all good post. i have not competed for about 3 or 4 years. i have just worked out. no supps at all. now i think i can compete. keep it simple eat clean and find a good protein powder