Thread: Benefits of ZMA

Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000) Straight2Ace is just really nice. (+1000)

Benefits of ZMA

Is it worth buying some?

Gonna be getting myself some Whey and ZMA isn't too expensive, i don't get enough quality sleep so i'm looking into some.

Is it worthwhile?

Edit: Also anything i should look out for brand wise/composition wise when buying it?
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    I rep back brosephs.

Come at me USA!

son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) son_of_samhain is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Straight2Ace View Post
    Is it worth buying some?

Gonna be getting myself some Whey and ZMA isn't too expensive, i don't get enough quality sleep so i'm looking into some.

Is it worthwhile?

Edit: Also anything i should look out for brand wise/composition wise when buying it?
    My $.02 is this:
    It is a VERY solid staple in my routine....I get most of mine through my multivitamin and occasionally supp extra if I begin to have trouble sleeping. Maybe someone can verify but Ive also been told it slowly increases natural test levels slightly while you sleep. Better alternative to Melatonin in my opinion....

And to answer your other question it's pretty cut and dry as far as quality....it is what it is ya know? Having said that there are certain supps such as fish oils where I TRULY believe that quality is key and Brand X is not the best choice lol
    Rolling back to the basics after making all the rookie mistakes in the past. On the road back to 230lbs clean with minimal supps & proper focus on diet and form.

~Strength-Determination-Merciless-Forever~

jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000)
    I haven't used it in a long time, but most guys are pretty adamant about it improving their quality of sleep. Additionally, it does support testosterone production.

m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10) m4l is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've read that you have to take ZMA on an empty stomach before bed... kind of tough for me as I prefer to chug a whey protein shake before bed. Not sure which (ZMA vs Whey) would be the better choice before bed).

jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by m4l View Post
    I've read that you have to take ZMA on an empty stomach before bed... kind of tough for me as I prefer to chug a whey protein shake before bed. Not sure which (ZMA vs Whey) would be the better choice before bed).
    Doesn't necessarily need to be an empty stomach but you wouldn't get the full benefit if you take it after you just ate a big meal- won't be able to digest quickly enough. The big thing is don't take at the same time as you take/eat anything with a considerable amount of calcium- it'll interfere with the absorption.

ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500)
    zinc is a part of my staple regimen, as well.
    before workout and before bed.

reading around ive come across numerous people NOT liking the gluconate versions.

its also a natural part of my pct.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by son_of_samhain View Post
    Maybe someone can verify but Ive also been told it slowly increases natural test levels slightly while you sleep.

ZMA will do nothing for testosterone levels.

Serum testosterone and urinary excretion of steroid hormone metabolites after administration of a high-dose zinc supplement. Koehler K, Parr MK, Geyer H, Mester J, Sch'nzer W.

OBJECTIVES: To investigate whether the administration of the zinc-containing nutritional supplement ZMA causes an increase of serum testosterone levels, which is an often claimed effect in advertising for such products; to monitor the urinary excretion of testosterone and selected steroid hormone metabolites to detect potential changes in the excretion patterns of ZMA users. SUBJECTS: Fourteen healthy, regularly exercising men aged 22-33 years with a baseline zinc intake between 11.9 and 23.2 mg day(-1) prior to the study. RESULTS: Supplementation of ZMA significantly increased serum zinc (P=0.031) and urinary zinc excretion (P=0.035). Urinary pH (P=0.011) and urine flow (P=0.045) were also elevated in the subjects using ZMA. No significant changes in serum total and serum free testosterone were observed in response to ZMA use. Also, the urinary excretion pattern of testosterone metabolites was not significantly altered in ZMA users. CONCLUSIONS: The present data suggest that the use of ZMA has no significant effects regarding serum testosterone levels and the metabolism of testosterone in subjects who consume a zinc-sufficient diet.

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Bane - Oct 14, 2007

Myth: ZMA works, because it is scientifically designed and, to back this up, has a study conducted by Dr. Brilla on June 2, 1999 which showed it to increase free testosterone by 30% compared to up to 10% loss on non ZMA group.

Truth: ZMA was created by Victor Conte, owner of Balco Labs. Victor Conte is not a scientist. He spent about 15 years playing bass in various rock bands (including Tower of Power), and when money started running out he opened up a holistic health center with wife. He shut this center down after a year and then opened up BALCO (Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative). At a sports medicine conference in 1997, Conte met Brilla and asked her to conduct a study on SNAC's zinc-magnesium supplement. In November 1998, Brilla and Conte presented their findings on a poster board at a meeting of the Southwest Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine, in Las Vegas. There were made the claims that ZMA produced 250% greater strength gains compared to placebo, that it created "hormonal increase" on the subjects and that it was the only natural supplement that was clinically proven to increase testosterone.

What the press release didn't say was that Conte owned SNAC and it was simply an affiliate of BALCO. Nor did it reveal that Conte's SNAC had helped pay for the study or that Brilla had been aided by Jim Valente and Dr. Brian Goldman, BALCO's vice president and medical director, respectively. It also didn't report that of the 57 Western Washington University football players who signed up for the study, 30 quit. By the end, only a dozen players were using ZMA while 15 took a placebo.(1) Furthermore, Brilla had in the past conducted studies on magnesium and it's effect on testosterone and strength in athletes and football players in particular. The ZMA study demonstrated results painfully close to the ones of the magnesium-only study she herself had conducted a few years earlier(4). Brilla was simply asked to repeat the study, using this time along with the magnesium some zinc and "surprisingly" the same good results came out.

Myth: ΖΜΑ contains the most bioavailable forms of Zinc available, aspartate and monomethionine.

Truth: Zinc aspartate has been data suggesting it to be an ineffective form of Zinc(5) and surely not any better than Zinc Sulfate, the most commonly used form(6). Zinc monomethionine has no negative studies on it for now, but also no literature proving it to be superior to other Zinc forms that exist. As for magnesium aspartate's bioavailability, it stands in the middle, with other more potent forms existing(7,8)

Myth: "Hey, ZMA worked for me, my buddy, my neighbour and my dog. It made me 10 times stronger and bigger"

Truth: Placebo is priceless. While many ZMA users reported various gains and indeed ZMA can be as beneficial as supplementing with Zinc and Magnesium if you are deficient, ZMA has failed to elevate serum testosterone levels in healthy training males(9). Chances is, if you are a well eating and supplementing average athelete, you are not Zinc deficient and ZMA will do nothing for your testosterone. Another independend study involving 42 trained males that received only ZMA as a supplement showed that "no significant differences were observed between groups in anabolic or catabolic hormone status, body composition, 1-RM bench press and leg press, upper or lower body muscular endurance, or cycling anaerobic capacity. Results indicate that ZMA supplementation during training does not appear to enhance training adaptations in resistance trained populations."(10).

Myth: I don't care anyway. ZMA is cheap like hell and gives me better sleep?

Truth: Magnesium's benefits on mood(11), insomnia(12) and cramping(13) are well documented. Zinc also has various benefits, provided no deficiency exists. The fact however remains that you can buy equal or even better Zinc and Magnesium supplements for 1/3 the cost. If you feel still comfortable dumping 10$ for a name then the author rest's his case. http://bodyandmind.gr/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192375134
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500) ksheab is not very helpful. (-500)
    if i had normal t and zinc levels and didnt workout intensely i probably wouldnt take zinc.