Thread: shoulder press

zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zinghigh89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

shoulder press

is there a difference between a standing shoulder press and military press? or just different names? also, when doing a standing bb shoulder press, do you lock out the elbows? i know ive seen vids of olympic lifters locking out so their arms are straight at the top of the movement but i dont know if thats correct form or not.
    current bests
    deadlift- 360
    squat- 260
    bench- 240

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zinghigh89 View Post
    is there a difference between a standing shoulder press and military press? or just different names? also, when doing a standing bb shoulder press, do you lock out the elbows? i know ive seen vids of olympic lifters locking out so their arms are straight at the top of the movement but i dont know if thats correct form or not.
    Generally, a prime difference is DB versus BB.

I prefer constant tension so I would not lockout. Olympic lifters perform differently due to technique and regulation.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i lock out because it lets me know i completed the rep. but a bodybuilder doesnt need to because its not really about weight or reps its about hypertrophy and constant tension on the muscles
    Squat - 180 lb - 3x5

Deadlift - 225 lb - 5 reps

Bench - 127.5 lb 3x5

Overhead Press - 95 lb - 3x5

Powerclean - 117.5 - 5x3

cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cj_hackett has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would not suggest locking out. If you're going heavy, it's a good way to hyperextend your elbow joints. Keep tension throughout the lift.

As far as standing versus sitting. Standing military presses with strict form are heels touching each other with toes at 45 degree angle pointing outwards. No bounce in knees. Will work more stabilizer muscles and be harder to do than seated.

As to your original question, I suppose it's just variations on the same thing, but there are different ways of doing the exercise. Some people do wide stance standing presses. Some do seated behind the neck (I don't do them, hard on shoulders). Depends on what you are trying to get out of the exercise.
    Check out my nutrition and weightlifting blog @

www.thehackspeaks.blogspot.com

Check out my BB.com workout journal @

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=398691421&posted=1#post398691421

benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benmoneyog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont lock out it works the shoulder so much more

TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TonySturch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think a strict military press requires a narrow stance. Heels together. But IMO the two names are interchangeable.
    1305 combined total in the Big Three @ 225 bodyweight
    B: 385 / S: 425 / D: 495

Of Beers and Burger King: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110649771

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    A lot of people think they are the same thing but they are not.

A standing press allows for you to take a comfortable stanck and use a moderate amount of lean back.

A military press requires that the hels touch, the toes be pointed at rought 45 degrees and your back remain ramrod straight with the elbows in throughout the press.

I always lock out or the rep doesn't count, you don't have to hyperextend the elbows like some guys do but they must reach straight. I've seen guys who say "I don't lock out I just keep constant tension on the muscles" stop short of full extension on the first rep, then shorter and shorter until by the last rep is it only about a half rep. Don't be that guy.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://www.youtube.com/v/pgxv5UReFlY&hl=en&fs=1&
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post
    I remember seeing that during the olympics. Hurts so bad to watch.

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ColdCut View Post
    I remember seeing that during the olympics. Hurts so bad to watch.
    Yeah, it does. He made a great recovery though, and he's still lifting far more than I can.

His career is still pretty much done.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    A lot of people think they are the same thing but they are not.

A standing press allows for you to take a comfortable stanck and use a moderate amount of lean back.

A military press requires that the hels touch, the toes be pointed at rought 45 degrees and your back remain ramrod straight with the elbows in throughout the press.

I always lock out or the rep doesn't count, you don't have to hyperextend the elbows like some guys do but they must reach straight. I've seen guys who say "I don't lock out I just keep constant tension on the muscles" stop short of full extension on the first rep, then shorter and shorter until by the last rep is it only about a half rep. Don't be that guy.
    this
    Squat - 180 lb - 3x5

Deadlift - 225 lb - 5 reps

Bench - 127.5 lb 3x5

Overhead Press - 95 lb - 3x5

Powerclean - 117.5 - 5x3

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Been asked before. What Wildtim said. Heels together - Military, Overhead - shoulder width, about.

And locking out is good because it's easy to quantify if the rep was completed. "Not locking out" isn't a way to measure anything.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau