MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10)

York Barbell Set

Hey guys I'm thinking of purchasing this set

primalathletes.com/equipment/bar-and-plate-sets/york-300lbs-deep-dish-olympic-set.html

I just wanted to run it by you guys before I purchase it to get some thoughts.

its a york barbell 300lb deep dish olympic set for 225 canadian
    2 x 45lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 35lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 25lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 10lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 4 x 5lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 2 x 2 1/2lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 2 Olympic spring clip collars
    * 1 x 7' Olympic bar

gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MarvelX View Post
    Hey guys I'm thinking of purchasing this set

primalathletes.com/equipment/bar-and-plate-sets/york-300lbs-deep-dish-olympic-set.html

I just wanted to run it by you guys before I purchase it to get some thoughts.

its a york barbell 300lb deep dish olympic set for 225 canadian
    2 x 45lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 35lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 25lbs Olympic deep dish plate
    * 2 x 10lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 4 x 5lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 2 x 2 1/2lbs Standard Olympic plate
    * 2 Olympic spring clip collars
    * 1 x 7' Olympic bar
    Wow...if it turns out to be a nice set, I might get it as well. My assumption would be that it's a pretty good deal since at Treadmillfactory, they have the Cap Barbell set for $289.99.

http://treadmillfactory.ca/?goto=viewprod&id_prod=556

But that's only my guess, so I'm awaiting other's replies as well.
    "Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"24 soldiers wisely led will defeat 24,000 without a head."

MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarvelX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah I just want to hear some replies I mean I know york is good but that is a low price so Im wondering if something gives.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'm sure that those are decent plates, but probably on the low end of quality for york. probably still pretty decent, and they sure look better than cap plates to me, since i like the york brand.

the bar isn't a york bar, it's got bolted ends instead of the 2 pc sleeves. so definately don't buy that set thinking you're getting a great bar, it's most likely in line with a cap bar.

even if the quality of that set is the same as a cap set from treadmill factory, you're still saving $65, unless the shipping costs eat up some of that.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

but the bar would you say its atleast good for a year or two? ATM I can't afford a lot and I am saving up for a nice power rack and equipment I just need something for a year or two.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    but the bar would you say its atleast good for a year or two? ATM I can't afford a lot and I am saving up for a nice power rack and equipment I just need something for a year or two.
    it should be, i've got a cap bar that i've been using since '03. i have other bars now, but i used it for everything up till early this year. i still use it for deads, figure i will until it dies.

i think some of the cheaper bars are hit and miss- i've got friends who don't lift as heavy as i do that bent their cheap bars, mine is still good. by cheap bars, i mean the ones that come with olympic sets.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you guys know of any other sites or places where I can get a set or just plates for even cheaper??? Because right now, I don't really care about the quality of the plates...plates are just plates...and I need some Olympic plates to get started.

Btw, MarvelX, have u ever bought from that site? If so, how's their shipping rate??? I'm out of the country and don't wanna make an international call just to get a shipping quote

Just wondering, is it more expensive to buy plates individually rather than in a set with a bar...because on the same site, York plates are $2.50/lb. They're probably better plates, but just wondering if individual plates are more expensive.

Ain't nuttin but a peanut bigredlemon's Avatar
    bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice price. I think i might pick one up

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gbrs5 View Post
    Just wondering, is it more expensive to buy plates individually rather than in a set with a bar...because on the same site, York plates are $2.50/lb. They're probably better plates, but just wondering if individual plates are more expensive.
    It depends on what you want, and if they're running a special on the set. If you want to get all the individual plates that are in a set, you might just be saving a few bucks by not getting the bar.

Cheap bars are fine for the vast majority of people, even those with high hopes of matching some of the e-stats on here. The cheaper 7ft bars I know of are rated for 500 lbs static load.
    Last edited by Squeebo; 08-18-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

it doesnt say there but on another site I read that the bar was tested for 700lbs. I'm gonna order it and after a few weeks I'll post a review.

it doesnt say there but on another site I read that the bar was tested for 700lbs. I'm gonna order it and after a few weeks I'll post a review.
    I'm assuming your in Canada, so once u order, can you let me know what the shipping fee was for you? thanks

I'm searching for weight plates. It seems like it's not much more expensive to get them new, especially with the used market in Ottawa being so small.

For example, most weights used in my area are sold for at least $0.60/lb. This York set is sold for $225. Let's say the bar's value is about $50. Then that means the weights are sold at $0.58/lb now. And if I go pick this up in Toronto, then no shipping fees at all.

What do you guys think?

racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gbrs5 View Post

This York set is sold for $225. Let's say the bar's value is about $50. Then that means the weights are sold at $0.58/lb now. And if I go pick this up in Toronto, then no shipping fees at all.

What do you guys think?
    I think they're $.68/lb

Muskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muskie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm from Canada too. I brought this set at Club Piscine Super Fitness a few years ago. The plates are ok, but the bar is crap. After each set, I have to tighten both sleeves.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    If your sleeves come loose that easily you need some of this:

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by racertomtom View Post
    I think they're $.68/lb
    Wow, I just realized something. A 300lb set means it's 255lbs plus the 45lbs bar. OMG, i always thought a 300lb set meant 300lbs of weights. I guess it was partly because there were actual 255lbs sets...but now thinking of it, those are without the bar. Quite a discovery I made today!

dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtwo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any Toronto brahs picked up that York BB set? Thinking of getting it from Primal Athletes as it's the cheapest around.. Cap set at Treadmill factory is more expensive, and a lot of Cap Set trashing around here.

Thoughts?

wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000) wingman11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have this weight set and it's not bad. The "chrome" on the edges of the sleeves will definitely flake off after some use, but the plates have held up well. After about ~8 months of use the edges of the bar is pretty chipped up but everything else is good. For what I paid for it, I'd definitely buy it again!
    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2ecit9wge1qanb21o1_400.gif
    http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/pyrenex-fall-2010-collection-2.jpg
    http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/fish_mouth.gif

math help: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124441141

usually 2k+