Thread: Rugby Question

The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Rugby Question

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been on here in a while I've been really busy. So I've decided to quit football since the coaches are being stupid ****s and putting they're sons in the game 24/7 and I'm tired of it so I'm going to start playing rugby. Now, I've got a few good friends on the rugby team but I wanted to ask you guys on the board where you think I would play at on the "pitch": I'm almost 17, 5'6", 170lb. @ 12% BF, and I recently benched 245, squated 345, deadlifted 430 and powercleaned 200. I'm not sure of my mile time but I run a 4.79 40-yd. dash. Some people have recommended me to center and some have said i'll be a "half" or somthing like that...any suggestions on positions and ways to get prepared are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by The_LB_43; 08-15-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: closer to 170 now
    I rep U.S. Marines on sight.

9/26 - 165lb, 245 bench, 345 squat, 430 deadlift ,205 powerclean, 4.75 40, Must haz moar speedz and x-plosion :(

5'6" and completly flat-footed with almost 0% arch
    Rugby right now...hopefully can be a runningback next year for football
    Everyone wants to fight until they get punched in the mouth
    Negged because I refused to nuthug a cocky f*ggot

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)
    1) those are crazy stats for a 16 year old who weighs 165 pounds
    2) if they are true - you could make a good, strong inside centre (#12)
    3) if you can pass/kick/handle the ball very well you could even consider learning to play half-back (#9) and maybe flyhalf (#10) after a season or two when you understand the game better

You will have to start conditioning earlier and with more intensity compared to what you did for football.
    Official Rugby training thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107034291

The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    they are all true i have no reason to lie, and im 17 in october and thats my main problem...i have no understanding of scrums/mauls/rucks/line-outs and absolty NO accuracy in kicking i want to be allowed to run with the ball, so i know i should work on endurance interval-kind of stuff...any other suggestions? what does a center do?

9/26 - 165lb, 245 bench, 345 squat, 430 deadlift ,205 powerclean, 4.75 40, Must haz moar speedz and x-plosion :(

Weetbic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Watch as much rugby as you can, plenty on you tube. Inside centre is number 12, outside number 13. You would need a bit of speed to play there. Like I said watch as much as you can, rugby is a hard game to explain (and understand if you have not grown up with it) just take in as much as you can mate. If you are strong and athletic you will pick it up fairly quickly once you start to understand the game a bit.

blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    a forty time is less relevant, work on ten to twenty yard sprints from a stop or a very slow jog.
    jog ten yards, explode for 5 steps, jog ten yards, explode ......

franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000) franksg99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Definitely a back, which means you will be able to run with the ball a lot. Possibly a center, or maybe a wing depending how good your team is. I suggest you take a look at the official rugby thread brah.

And honestly, your height could play an advantage to you. You're basically a bowling ball. It makes it hard for defenders to get low so you almost automatically have the leverage advantage.
    Last edited by franksg99; 08-15-2009 at 07:37 PM.

ok thanks 4 all the help guys repped u all.

lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll probably play at one of the center positions, depending on your speed. Definately bring your conditioning up, work on short sprints 10-50 yards, occassionally do 100-200-400 meter sprints.

I would try to ask one of your bigger buddies (rugby or football) to help you with some open-field tackling. Nothing that pisses the forwards (1-8) off more than a back that can't do an openfield tackle. Go one on one with the bigger guy and try to get your form down, remember unlike football you have to wrap your tackles as best you can and going head to chest will get you a neck injury. Go cheek to cheek (your cheek to the guys butt) and drive through the tackle.

Good luck rugbys an awesome sport.

well thats the thing bud, im fine at tackling bigger guys head-on and i usually win in a head-to-head deal, but i get jukekd out of my shoes somtimes in an open field...any way to stop this?

lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lionsrugby12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to have this problem during freshman and sophomore year when I played rugby. My problem was that in the open field I'd try to dive for the hit instead of just running at a line into and through my opponent. Not sure if you have the same problem. But you'll learn to find there's not too many fancy jukes that go on in rugby like you see in football, no one really spins unless there's a wide-open hole...people really only do the side-step.

Google these terms, and these are the more common "jukes" or trick plays in rugby for novices:
    1. Switch Pass
    2. Dummy Pass
    3. Dummy Switch Pass
    4. Side-Step
    5. 8-Man Pick-Up

BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by The_LB_43 View Post
    well thats the thing bud, im fine at tackling bigger guys head-on and i usually win in a head-to-head deal, but i get jukekd out of my shoes somtimes in an open field...any way to stop this?
    What do you mean Juked?

With your strength at this age group you really want to be playing in the forwards, BUT if you have no skills or understanding of line-outs/scrums/rucs.. etc it could be a steep learning curve.

Best of luck to you mate and congrats on joining the better side of the oval ball.

Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ceol is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey mate,
    Thought id start by asking, is it Rugby league or Rugby Union you fancy playing?
    I play both at a pretty OK level. You have played football so you should know how to tackle, and carry a ball, so you might take to playing rugby league a little better than union, and you don't have to wrap your arms round the opponent in the tackle(just like football).
    like others have said, watch as much rugby as you can and you'll start to understand it a little better, especially union as there is a good few rules to the game,
    the only way you'll learn how to scrummage, ruck, maul and do line outs is by playing the game,
    As far as position goes, go to training and see what the coach says, you could end up taking to the sport very well.

Union - for your age/size etc: if your playing your age group, any where in the backs really, (your only going to get bigger) or even open-side flanker.

League - Center, fullback or winger

hope you enjoy playing rugby, its a good sport, and you will make a lot of new friends
    Dunno why I called you Frodo - Because you look like you'v had your ring destroyed ?

Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you play rugby union I'd say either flanker(guy who makes most tackles and has to hit the rucks first very hard position) but your not very big and its a hard posiion to know what to do etc

I wouldnt play you centre because you havent played before you wont know the backs moves, angle running passing ball handling and all the other intricies

Id most likelly say that you should play on the wing its easiest position to play and your fast

if you play rugby league which is a lot simpler, faster paced and harder hitting,

youll be able to play loose forward, centre or wing

i also advice you to join a rugby league club it will be alot more accessible for you and its more fun and tougher

BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BIGMAC3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Man I wish they played league at my school!

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The best thing about your situation, right now, is that in the U.S. most club teams are really eager to have young, talented guys out on the pitch trying to learn. Call some clubs in your area and see who's doing what during the off-season (touch rugby practices, conditioning, camps, etc.) and go and learn. Like most of the guys have said with your stats you'd be a good center or (maybe) flanker right now, unfortunately the only way to learn how to play the forward positions (for me anyway) is to get in the s**t and mix it up, hopefully with someone keeping an eye on how you're doing.

Let us know how the process goes.

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    *sigh*
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamMatthew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know some kick ass flankers about your size. It's a pretty sick position if you like to tackle. Good luck, rugby is an amazing sport.

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheHitStick View Post
    *sigh*
    Yes?

.Zoltan. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Zoltan. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Zoltan. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With your size you could play anywhere in the backs really. Wing would be the easiest position to learn because you're not involved in the game quite as much as the others since you just stay at one side of the field. I played wing for my first year and then once I knew the game I wanted to play more so I started training to play #9 (scrumhalf). As others have said you would probably do well in the centres if you want to carry and run with the ball. Outside centres do more open field running and are generally faster and a bit smaller than the inside centre, whos usually bigger and runs into contact more often. But just go in, talk to the team, talk to the coaches, and see where you fit. You might even end up being a half-back (#9 or #10) or a fullback (#15).

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by swolepatrole View Post
    Yes?
    nah i get where he's coming at, i hate favorites, it ruins sports. bad thing is that it's in all sports though (mainly school)
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Learn the skills. Although people will draw comparisons between American football and rugby they are two very different games. At center you will need to be able to do everything; carry the ball, off load, pass off both hands at speed, ruck, maul (to a lesser extent), tackle, kick, marshal the defence, chase kicks and hit lines. Sure I've probably missed something out.

Don't get too caught up in what weights you lift, its always good to be strong but you can't bench press your way around the pitch.

Choose the position you want to play, not where someone wants you to play.
    Weak in the gym, weak in the kitchen.

5-3-1 Spreadsheet I've made, feel free to use it http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yxnn0dtrw3j

cas_21488 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the way i learned the game was watching the world cup dvds. they sell 03 and 07 at worldrugbyshop.com. i wanted to play when i entered the service but never had the chance but the college i want to go to as a club so mabye next year ill get to start playing. good luck dude

Originally Posted by tomahawk1984 View Post
    Don't get too caught up in what weights you lift, its always good to be strong but you can't bench press your way around the pitch.
    Don't ruin my dreams and aspirations...rugby player, turned powerlifter after injury, diving back into rugby, believing that I will be able to squat, bench, and deadlift my way to victory. haha

Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gobays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All those weights you can lift wont do **** on the field unless your fit and you are smart. Rugby is about fitness and using your brain having speed and being strong is a bonus

You are a decent height for a halfback since they are usually the shortest on the field but can very very strong runners and good thinkers

tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomahawk1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lionsrugby12 View Post
    Don't ruin my dreams and aspirations...rugby player, turned powerlifter after injury, diving back into rugby, believing that I will be able to squat, bench, and deadlift my way to victory. haha
    Haha. It can only be a benefit in tight play. Useless if you can't get from break down to break down though.
    Weak in the gym, weak in the kitchen.

5-3-1 Spreadsheet I've made, feel free to use it http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yxnn0dtrw3j

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nah if u wanna power ure way around u gotta play prop, son.

im just gonna handle this question for everyone but last i checked we dont have leage out here in the states so its probably union ball hes playing.

and yea for a brand new kids center might be a little overwhelming but if ure gettin juked then fly might be too much too. flanker sounds about right for the first year then start moving ure way back.

as far as getting juked and outpaced thats instinct and agility. read the player, learn tendencies, and see the whole field and not just the guy in front of you.

try getting ure hands on a ladder and doing some footwork drills. a reaction ball has helped me quite a bit. run cone drills such as a Z pattern, box, slalom, or any of that stuff.

side note- had the same prob in highschool football as well. if i knew there was a rugby club in the area i probably woulda jumped ship too.

decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) decafchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd go with flanker or wing for you. We had a kid at about 5'7 160-170 at wing last year and he ran **** just by being fast and whenever people hit him they couldn't hit him low so he would just keep going. I wouldn't put you at center your first year, especially with your open field tackling worries. center is the most important defensive position. flanker would be good for you too with your stocky size if you like to make hits. speed is a great bonus to have there.

so is it flanker im being pointed to? i dont care where i play i just want to learn to play the game and stuff so i do need a position of "lesser importance" or sumthing like that

Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by The_LB_43 View Post
    so is it flanker im being pointed to? i dont care where i play i just want to learn to play the game and stuff so i do need a position of "lesser importance" or sumthing like that
    your coach will point you to a position he thinks you are going to be best in, he will have a much better idea of where to play you because he will actually watch you in training.

All I can say is just go for it, play your arse off. Rugby is the toughest ball sport I can possibly think of, it is immense.

Feel free to PM me with any specific rugby questions, I'm more than happy to help anyone who is interested in playing rugby.