jmanny187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I Gain 20 pounds in 4 months?

Im trying to gain 20 pounds in about 4 months how can i do it. What should my diet consist of? What kind of work out plan should i be following? Should i take any supplements like protein or any other supplements? Im a male 20 yrs old 6'0 ft tall and weigh 140 pounds. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jsilv187; 08-12-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Missing Info

shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jsilv187 View Post
    Im trying to gain 20 pounds in about 4 months how can i do it. What should my diet consist of? What kind of work out plan should i be following? Should i take any supplements like protein or any other supplements? Im a male 20 yrs old 6'0 ft tall and weigh 140 pounds. Thanks in advance.
    You can do, but youll gain some fat!

Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yea lol prob quite a bit of fat. Most people are happy with 10-15 pounds per year.

Why do you need to do this? That's fairly important, also how far are you willing to go? To gain this kind of weight we're talking a huge amount of food. You will prob be spending most of your spare time preparing meals and going shopping.

Hold on... I can't believe I'm answering this... it's so ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Tile View Post
    Yea lol prob quite a bit of fat. Most people are happy with 10-15 pounds per year.

Why do you need to do this? That's fairly important, also how far are you willing to go? To gain this kind of weight we're talking a huge amount of food. You will prob be spending most of your spare time preparing meals and going shopping.

Hold on... I can't believe I'm answering this... it's so ridiculous.
    I need to gain weight because im too thin im 6ft tall and only 140 pounds. Why is it ridiculous? Can i do it in a longer period of time? And also i want to gain muscle not just fat.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    What's the deal with "4 months?" Bodybuilding is a long-term committment, not something you do for a couple of months.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What's the deal with "4 months?" Bodybuilding is a long-term committment, not something you do for a couple of months.
    Im very new at this so how many months would it be good to gain around 20 pounds?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jsilv187 View Post
    Im very new at this so how many months would it be good to gain around 20 pounds?
    There are far too many variables involved to make any kind of meaningful estimate to answer your question. I've seen noobs who never gained a pound in a year, due to being too hard-headed to do things correctly, and I've seen one or two make phenomenal progress, because they were totally dedicated, soaked up advice like a sponge, and then did everything right.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tile is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is what I was getting at. If you have read somewhere 'gain 20 pounds in 6 weeks' or some rubbish like that, it's just a scam so that you will buy their products.

Start by reading all the stickies on this board, then pick a routine. Also head over to the nutrition section and start reading up there too as nutrtion is critical in trying to gain weight.

mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000) mpenix is just really nice. (+1000)
    When in doubt drink a gallon of whole milk (sometimes called Vitamin D Milk) per day.

Start slow though it's difficult for skinny bastards.
    -
    --
    ---
    --
    -

My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119275261

"The only cardio you do is runnin' your mouth" - mpenix

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jmanny187 View Post
    Eat a lot. And then eat some more.
    Then come back to the boards and ask how you can burn off 20 lbs of fats in 4 weeks that you gained in last 4 months.

Seriously though, if it is 20 lbs of muscle you are looking for, and you havent ever worked out before, it might be possible in an year. You need to get in enough food, and get on a solid lifting program.

Supplements arent really necessary; what's important is a good balanced diet in large enough amounts. Might be easier to get in enough food by eating 5-6 times a day.

So far as workouts go, full-body three times a week, mostly with basic compounds (clean and jerks, bench, deadlifts, squats, unless you have a specific problem which prohibits you from any of these lifts). Rippetoes will be a good start to gain some strength. Once you are good at the core lifts, you might wanna switch to Bill Starr's 5 x 5.
    Last edited by kitarpyar; 08-12-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    x2.

To the OP, if you put on 20lb of muscle in 4 months it'll primarily be because you're blessed with great genes for muscle building, not because of meticulous planning on your part. That said, you can maximize your chances with starting strength plus about 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. Adjust fat and carb intake to make the scale move as quickly as possible without you getting fat. What that rate is will depend on your genes.

For your info a more realistic rate of gains to expect if your doing everything PERFECT is about 3-4lb a month for the first 3 months 2lb a month for the next 9 months and progressively less that that there after. That's what an average trainee could expect, you may do slightly better or slightly worse, but either way 20lb of muscle will almost certainly take at least twice as long as you're planning for.
    Last edited by Hut*Hut; 08-13-2009 at 02:28 AM.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually people who are severly underweight can gain muscle mass very rapidly simply by increasing calories, lifting weights will help aswell. I've seen skinny 130 pound kids shoot up to 160-170 in a few months at most simply because they started to eat like a male instead of a female.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe it's just me, but 20 lbs in 4 months doesn't seem that outrageous. That works out to 5 pounds per month, or a little over 1 lb per week, which is a pretty reasonable rate of weight gain or loss, especially for someone as underweight as the OP. No, it won't all be muscle, but at 6' and 140 lbs I don't think a little fat gain is his biggest problem.

Just going 500 calories over maintenance each day would get him pretty close to his goal.
    Last edited by r_graz; 08-13-2009 at 06:17 AM.

ain't easy being beezy... cannibal.horse's Avatar
    cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cannibal.horse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    Actually people who are severly underweight can gain muscle mass very rapidly simply by increasing calories, lifting weights will help aswell. I've seen skinny 130 pound kids shoot up to 160-170 in a few months at most simply because they started to eat like a male instead of a female.
    This. So many guys come on here like:

Breakfast: Bowl of water, two tic-tacs and a smoke

Lunch: Packet of chips, 2 tim tams

Dinner: whatever mum's making

Before bed: Think about muscle products I might like to purchase.

They listen to the broscience, start getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight and suddenly they've gone from 140 to 170-180.

Then they realize that food is food and just start eating a lot of meat, milk and irsh stew and get huge. By this point they've stopped logging on though cause they're sick of the bs.
    Stats(5RM): 165kg squat, 105kg bench, 182.5kg deadlift.

MMMC Intern