platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Military press or Incline bench which is better?

My goal is to add strength and size(who's isnt?). My flat bench is incredibly weak. I do 160x5 on incline bench and not so sure about military press, i do 65lb dumbells for 5 reps. I'm currently doing 5x5 and you have the option of choosing inc. bench or milit. press. Not sure which would be more benificial.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do both.

Inc bench is upper pec and military press is delts if proper form is used.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by platinumike View Post
    My goal is to add strength and size(who's isnt?). My flat bench is incredibly weak. I do 160x5 on incline bench and not so sure about military press, i do 65lb dumbells for 5 reps. I'm currently doing 5x5 and you have the option of choosing inc. bench or milit. press. Not sure which would be more benificial.
    if you can only fit one in to your routine, i would go with the military press. i find incline and flat bench more comparable, and therefore swappable.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I assume your doing the madcow 5x5 and are wondering what workout to choose on wednesday? Am i right?

I say don't do the 5x5, but if your really into it, go with the incline. Its hits both chest and front delts which will both help improve your overall flat bench.
    However, the madcow misses alot of muscle groups and constantly using a barbell makes you miss alot of stabilizers. I'm not really a fan of the Madcow.

If you do the madcow for 8 weeks and then try to pick up some DB's, your gonna be pretty shaky, Just an advanced warning.

Trumetal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go incline press it will hit both the pec and shoulder. Incline press always hits my delt harder than my shoulder

platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50) platinumike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ya i'm probably gonna do both, definitely gonna do inc. bench for now at the start and maybe do milit. press later. to the dude knocking 5x5, i agree i had ran it in the past and had the shakiness with db's but you should regain it within a couple weeks.

csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) csalcedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Trumetal View Post
    Go incline press it will hit both the pec and shoulder. Incline press always hits my delt harder than my shoulder
    lol wut?

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol, just so you understand you decision, overhead pressing movements are really good for overall delt development. incline benching is more for you chest, and front delts. do you have exercises that are going to be hitting the rest of your delts in your routine? (i have never tried madcow). if not, that is something to think about.

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    if you can only fit one in to your routine, i would go with the military press. i find incline and flat bench more comparable, and therefore swappable.
    no.

you must be doing incline bench with your feet elevated and your back so arched that the actual plane of your back is almost flat making it similar to flat bench. you need to keep your feet planted on the ground and your back flat against the bench as much as you can to keep the rep as close to the incline plane you should be on in the first place.

this is a common mistake among lifters because by putting their feet up and arching their back like that, the lift is easier because most people tend to be stronger on flat bench than incline. so by doing more weight they think they are doing it better when they aren't actually targeting the correct muscle group (upper chest) instead they are hitting the lower chest like they would on flat bench.

Originally Posted by Rsardinia View Post
    no.

you must be doing incline bench with your feet elevated and your back so arched that the actual plane of your back is almost flat making it similar to flat bench. you need to keep your feet planted on the ground and your back flat against the bench as much as you can to keep the rep as close to the incline plane you should be on in the first place.

this is a common mistake among lifters because by putting their feet up and arching their back like that, the lift is easier because most people tend to be stronger on flat bench than incline. so by doing more weight they think they are doing it better when they aren't actually targeting the correct muscle group (upper chest) instead they are hitting the lower chest like they would on flat bench.
    i did not say that flat and incline bench are the same. i said they are more similar to each other than incline bench and military press. i dont even know how you would put your feet up during and incline bench press, but it kind of sounds scary to me.

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    i did not say that flat and incline bench are the same. i said they are more similar to each other than incline bench and military press. i dont even know how you would put your feet up during and incline bench press, but it kind of sounds scary to me.
    i guess its only my ****ty gym that has those incline barbell racks with the feet platform built onto the front of it. but of course flat is more similar to incline because they both work out your chest and consequently your front delts a little too.

bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayareamac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is it ok to do Inc bench on a smith machine I tried it today?
    MD, MPH

hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hapa808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do incline bench on your chest day and millitary press on your shoulder day. SHoots!