karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) karoloydi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DO ab exercises make your belly appear bigger or smaller?

I was wandering whats the effect of the abs on the appearence of your belly, if you have a quite big belly (25% body fat).
    One one hand I am thinking that they will make my belly appear smaller cause it will stiffen the muscles and my belly will be like when I am sucking it.
    On the other hand I am thinking that the muscles will push the belly out even more making it appear even bigger.
    What do you think?
    I am not doing ab exercises yet. I am only working them out when I do the deadlifts.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    it won't have much overall difference. I'd say do ab exrecises, so when you do get rid of the belly fat, they will look much better.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Herbalizer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You won't notice any difference. You'll strengthen your core and that's it. You'll have to eat clean and do cardio in order to really notice any ab defenition.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Herbalizer View Post
    You won't notice any difference. You'll strengthen your core and that's it. You'll have to eat clean and do cardio in order to really notice any ab defenition.
    Abs are made in the kitchen

evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evasiontank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To answer your question, in my experience, my belly looks bigger after doing Abs 5 days a week for the past 6 months, I used to have a gut, and my belly was much larger than it is now, but then i dieted down and lost the gut, picked up on ab exercises, and now my mid section sticks out, especially the middle of my six pack, but it doesn't look bad or anything. If i were you i'd definitely do abs at least once a week, I prefer to do them more than that though. Strengthening your core will help you with your compound movements that you do for other muscle groups which is definitely helpful.

ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Felt that my amazing keg got bigger, or atleast stood out more but mostly because it doesnt slouch (hang over/low, word?) as much anymore, the increase in muscle (i think) makes you assume a more tight sucked in posture and just makes everything look more ''stable'' actually gives a better look of it tbf. The more muscle you have the more you burn they say, Just work it.

SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaratogaKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it will make your stomach bigger but the new muscle will help to burn the fat a little bit. If you are at 25% plus body fat you need to just run or do cardio and eat super lean. You dont have to start doing ab workouts i would say until around 15% bf and then when you start getting lower they will show around 10% or less.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by evasiontank View Post
    To answer your question, in my experience, my belly looks bigger after doing Abs 5 days a week for the past 6 months, I used to have a gut, and my belly was much larger than it is now, but then i dieted down and lost the gut, picked up on ab exercises, and now my mid section sticks out, especially the middle of my six pack, but it doesn't look bad or anything. If i were you i'd definitely do abs at least once a week, I prefer to do them more than that though. Strengthening your core will help you with your compound movements that you do for other muscle groups which is definitely helpful.
    sticks out at 170 lbs?doubt it. its your posture.

to the OP

strengthening and conditioning your abs will make them tighter, so like you said it does look sucked in.. building your abs up with weights etc, will make them grow slightly, and yes they will stick out, but if youre working rhe rest of your body, it would grow faster and your abs would not stick out

Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're worried about this consider doing vacuums they will make your wait appear smaller after sometime doing them, nice thing is you can do them anywhere.
    Lifting Hobbyist, member since 2004. I rep back, always (on recharge).

Cycle Experience: 1-AD, Andro, Havoc, H-Drol, 11-OXO, BOLD

H: 6'5
    W: 220-ish (lean)

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Spaghettii View Post
    Abs are made in the kitchen
    Goddammit, I hate you.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321