AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why are huge obliques frowned upon in bb

I wasnt really aware of this until recently, after seeing an article of bb.com and even asking a former bbuilder at the gym. So it is more desirable to have a v-shape by not building obliques to anywhere the same extent as the upper boddy, including shoulders chest and lats.

Since i started working out bout 15 months ago I have included intense oblique exercises during my abs routine (twice a week). Now that I have had time to develop, my appearance is not v-shaped at all because there is not much narrowing going from my lats to my obliques(more like a square). I have heard this is what powerlifters try to do, but i usually use body builders' forms when lifting.

Does this mean I would have to cut oblique exercises if i wanted to compete later in life? Do the ladies not find large obliques attracted? or Should i just keep building them?

Pros n Cons? Thank you

jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it makes your waist bigger. big waists **** up your v taper. small waists are desirable by bodybuilders. so yea i'd say stop working your obliques

AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdmiralSizzla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jgrube View Post
    it makes your waist bigger. big waists **** up your v taper. small waists are desirable by bodybuilders. so yea i'd say stop working your obliques
    So does bigger waist mean looking fat?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AdmiralSizzla View Post
    No. But then again, I think strength is far more important than trying to fit a "V" mold. As for your question about what women like - mmm... we care far more about our own obliques than a man's obliques. Sorry!

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think big obliques can be mistaken for that lovehandle appearance, which most men/women find unappealing.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, it just goes against some arbitrary set of aesthetic qualities that judges supposedly look for. I don't think it makes a person look fat or unbalanced, but I'm not a judge either.

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    No. But then again, I think strength is far more important than trying to fit a "V" mold. As for your question about what women like - mmm... we care far more about our own obliques than a man's obliques. Sorry!
    Pics of obliques so that we may also worry about your obliques?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    Pics of obliques so that we may also worry about your obliques?
    Sorry, no obliques for me anymore! We're trying to have a baby so my bodyfat is up past 20%! Not visible

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry, no obliques for me anymore! We're trying to have a baby so my bodyfat is up past 20%! Not visible
    Women

When my wife and I had our son (is that how you say it? She did all the work) my BF% got up over 20% too... didn't know it had to be that way in order for her to have a healthy birth
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    Women

When my wife and I had our son (is that how you say it? She did all the work) my BF% got up over 20% too... didn't know it had to be that way in order for her to have a healthy birth
    --------------

Just think of it as some sort of symbiotic relationship. Sympathetic weight-gaining and all that.

OP,

As for the obliques, even if you have a lean waist i.e. very little fat there and your abs are "popping" you're going to look "thick" with big obliques. To me, it's not very aesthetic-looking. No, I'm not a judge nor a competitor, but it just doesn't look all that aesthetic. There was a French bodybuilder a number of years ago--had a great chest and was known for that and having a good physique. (Gerard something or other--can't remember his last name). Had a lean waistline and very thick but fat-free obliques. Totally took away from his aesthetic appeal and probably cost him slightly higher placings. While it may seem an arbitrrary decision in the bodybuilding world, most people equate thick obliques with being fat. Not true, of course, but that's how it is. JMO...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

aight since your the lady who responded i want your opinion...

Say there were 2 guys left in the world, both equally attractive and built EXCEPT one was v-shaped and the other had massive obliques and you HAD to pick 1...

which 1 would it be?

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    --------------

Just think of it as some sort of symbiotic relationship. Sympathetic weight-gaining and all that.

OP,

As for the obliques, even if you have a lean waist i.e. very little fat there and your abs are "popping" you're going to look "thick" with big obliques. To me, it's not very aesthetic-looking. No, I'm not a judge nor a competitor, but it just doesn't look all that aesthetic. There was a French bodybuilder a number of years ago--had a great chest and was known for that and having a good physique. (Gerard something or other--can't remember his last name). Had a lean waistline and very thick but fat-free obliques. Totally took away from his aesthetic appeal and probably cost him slightly higher placings. While it may seem an arbitrrary decision in the bodybuilding world, most people equate thick obliques with being fat. Not true, of course, but that's how it is. JMO...
    Sooooooo now that they are big how do i unbig them.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP,

If your obliques are "big" then simply don't train them, and stay on a good diet. They should atrophy in time. Doing crunches, leg lifts, frog kicks (hanging from a bar) knee-ups off a bench should help keep the abs in check, along with some cardio for additional fat loss. Twists with a broomstick are optional, I feel. A lot of it has to do with genetics as well. I'm very thick-waisted, and even when I diet down and can see my abs (the never-ending battle) my waist still looks wide. Just the way it is; other guys who have a smaller waist-hip structure will simply "look" better and that's all there is to it. Stick to your diet, see how it goes, and don't train your obliques even with light weight. JMO...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    OP,

If your obliques are "big" then simply don't train them, and stay on a good diet. They should atrophy in time. Doing crunches, leg lifts, frog kicks (hanging from a bar) knee-ups off a bench should help keep the abs in check, along with some cardio for additional fat loss. Twists with a broomstick are optional, I feel. A lot of it has to do with genetics as well. I'm very thick-waisted, and even when I diet down and can see my abs (the never-ending battle) my waist still looks wide. Just the way it is; other guys who have a smaller waist-hip structure will simply "look" better and that's all there is to it. Stick to your diet, see how it goes, and don't train your obliques even with light weight. JMO...
    sounds good will do.

i still want a ladies opinion on if large obliques look attractive or not (assuming very low body fat). The ones i know irl are like "obliques? what? abs are nice"..... need gym bunny opinions.
    Last edited by AdmiralSizzla; 08-10-2009 at 05:43 PM.

My man is more into olympic/powerlifting (15+ years weight training), he has thick obliques and does not have a low bodyfat. Sorry, I am not a typical gym bunny so my opinion might not be what you are looking for! Might have to ask some younger girls.

My man is more into olympic/powerlifting (15+ years weight training), he has thick obliques and does not have a low bodyfat. Sorry, I am not a typical gym bunny so my opinion might not be what you are looking for! Might have to ask some younger girls.

^^^^
    Younger than you? Girls younger than you like My Little Pony and listen to boy bands.

collwatt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i rather have slabs of powerful muscles molded to my waist than a v taper.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by collwatt View Post
    i rather have slabs of powerful muscles molded to my waist than a v taper.
    Thanks for bumping this thread just to let us know.

Who was this love of yours?

paul.hofer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post

lol

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wasnt really aware of this until recently, after seeing an article of bb.com and even asking a former bbuilder at the gym. So it is more desirable to have a v-shape by not building obliques to anywhere the same extent as the upper boddy, including shoulders chest and lats.

Since i started working out bout 15 months ago I have included intense oblique exercises during my abs routine (twice a week). Now that I have had time to develop, my appearance is not v-shaped at all because there is not much narrowing going from my lats to my obliques(more like a square). I have heard this is what powerlifters try to do, but i usually use body builders' forms when lifting.

Does this mean I would have to cut oblique exercises if i wanted to compete later in life? Do the ladies not find large obliques attracted? or Should i just keep building them?

Pros n Cons? Thank you
    Because most of the people who worry about this are 6' 135 lbs. You want that V shape to your torso for bodybuilding but its stupid to purposefully neglect a muscle or exercise to achieve it. A simple way to offset the growth of the waist is to grow bigger lats and shoulders. Look at Layne, he has ridiculous back development and a pretty nasty v taper, with something like a 33-34 inch waist.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post

I need to start looking at op dates or reading entire threads before I reply

AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    HAHAHA spoken from a true women ;]