JimmyBurns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimmyBurns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Another newb in search or some much needed help with a routine.

Hey all, I'm definitely a newb to this stuff and I'm definitely a little lost and could definitely use some sound advice. The routine I'm thinking of trying is the one I quoted.

I was a 6'1" 240 lb 42 years old and one day just got tired of what I was seeing in the mirror after many years of a slow growth of the wrong sort. I've been lifting weights and doing cardio for three months now and I've lost 25 lbs. and put on some muscle, but I know my routine is way out of whack.

I started out for probably the first month and a half doing upper body the first day, lower body the second and then rest the third and start over again. Well I got to talking to a buddy of mine (he's been lifting heavy for over 20 years) and he told me that I wasn't givng my body enough time to rest and suggested a once a week per body part routine.

Here's what he does and what I started doing by his reccomendation.

M - Shoulders (12-14 sets), calves, cardio and abs
    T - Legs (16 sets),
    W - Chest (12-14 sets), cardio
    T - Arms (12-14 sets), calves, abs
    F- Back (12-14 sets), cardio

Later on I started doing more sets on my own, but was told this was ok because I was hitting the muscles in different ways by someone who is a personal trainer.

I got to the point where I was doing all of this during each work out and I think it's bitten me in the ass as I'm really not noticing many gains at all in my bench and curls.

M - Shrugs, front delts, side delts, rear delts (3 x 6) calves (3 x 12)
    T - Squats, dead lifts, leg curls, lunges, leg extensions (3 x 6)
    W - BB Bench, DB incline, DB pullover, DB chest flys (3 x 6)
    T - DB curls, cable tricep pressdown, preacher curls, tricep kickbacks, reverse curls, forearm curls (3 x 6) calves (3 x 12)
    F - Lat pull down, cable rows, upright rows, one arm dumbell rows (3 x 6) I was trying to do good mornings as well, but the bar really hurts my neck and I can't get comfortable doing them.

I slowly started doing an extra sety on pretty much everything dropping the weight and trying to get 12 reps or so.

A lot of the stuff I'm seeing some gains on, but my flat bench and curling just seems to be stagnant. I'm sure I'm way overdoing some of these things as my performance indicates and just need some advice as to what all needs correction. I'm sure my diet isn't helping things either.

At 215 lbs what kind of calorie intake do I need to support muscle growth and to avoid putting to much fat on?

How long is one considered a newb and can take advantage of hitting their body parts multiple times a week?

If I give this routine a shot, what can I do in place of chest dips, pull ups and the leg press. I'm doing this in a home gym that's pretty well setup but doesn't have accomodations for these.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured it was better to try and give you as much information as possible.

Thanks for any assistance, Jimmy

huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000) huss30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I want to post my thread link but I like this guy. Send me a PM andI can help you in more detail ok Jimmy. We will get you going in no time.
    J
    For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4: 8

Rep owed:
    JUSA

Good noob: Farve004 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118223781
    Bad nood: Pask3r http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=368609581&posted=1#post368609581

JimmyBurns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimmyBurns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by huss30 View Post
    I want to post my thread link but I like this guy. Send me a PM andI can help you in more detail ok Jimmy. We will get you going in no time.
    J
    Thanks man I really appreciate it, PM sent.

Jimmy

_Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here's a good thread to read if you have not already done so (it's stickied at the top of the forum). Not sure what advice that guy huss30 is giving but I'd recommend at least reading this through also:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271

The advice along with one of the routines in that thread really helped me a lot.
    Career Mod Negs: 4

kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well there's several things to consider. First off DO NOT listen to people that have been lifting for a long time (years). While I mean no disrespect to them, many of them have accomplished great things there are two things that generally occur: first, they usually just recommend routines that are similar to there or one's they used "recently" all of which are not geared towards noobs; and two, most (if not the majority of these people) fall into the "bodybuilder" sect of weightlifting which, though perfectly fine is far different in terms routine design and application. Again, listen to them and remember what they say, but store it away for later in your lifting career when and if it is applicable.

As for splits or not, personally with your limited experience there is little to no need for them. At your level you can, and arguable IMHO should work each much group multiple times per week. The main thing to consider now is what are your goals?? Do you want strength, health, definition/physique, weight-loss or something else?? Also you need to sort those in order if you want more than one, because for the most part one of them will have to take precedent over the others.

As for caloric intake, personally I don't find it necessary for most people to really monitor "how much" they eat nearly as much as "what" and "when" they are eating. Few people (and virtually no noobs) really need to worry much if they use a good program with appropriate cardio. If anything most noobs (especially if they are trying to loose weight) will cut their diets too MUCH which leads to immature stalls and less than idea progress in their lifting stats.

With all that said, any of the programs in the "Routines and Advice" thread area good place to start. I would suggest you do one that works every muscle group at least 2x a week. Also focus on the major lifts (squats, deads and bench). For the most part you really don't need to worry about isolation lifts yet, those main lifts will give your minor muscles more than enough work for a while.

Oh, and as to the question regarding "how long" you'll be a noob that really depends on what your going for. I train and coach mostly for strength and the shortest I've had someone in a "beginners" routine is several months (with HARD training). Most people will be considered a "beginner" for at least a year and likely longer, but there are many factors (including age).

Hope this helps to start, post back with questions and I'll check back tomorrow.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bull****. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Rippetoe

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

Originally Posted by _Ishy View Post
    Here's a good thread to read if you have not already done so (it's stickied at the top of the forum). Not sure what advice that guy huss30 is giving but I'd recommend at least reading this through also:

The advice along with one of the routines in that thread really helped me a lot.
    LOL, yeah thanks. I was looking through there and that's where I got the routine that I posted that I think might be the one that I give a go. And it's also the reason that I started this thread as I didn't read the whole thing and missed the part about only asking questions that pertained to those routines.

I appreciate the effort, Jimmy

Originally Posted by kziwarrior View Post
    Well there's several things to consider. First off DO NOT listen to people that have been lifting for a long time (years). While I mean no disrespect to them, many of them have accomplished great things there are two things that generally occur: first, they usually just recommend routines that are similar to there or one's they used "recently" all of which are not geared towards noobs; and two, most (if not the majority of these people) fall into the "bodybuilder" sect of weightlifting which, though perfectly fine is far different in terms routine design and application. Again, listen to them and remember what they say, but store it away for later in your lifting career when and if it is applicable.

As for splits or not, personally with your limited experience there is little to no need for them. At your level you can, and arguable IMHO should work each much group multiple times per week. The main thing to consider now is what are your goals?? Do you want strength, health, definition/physique, weight-loss or something else?? Also you need to sort those in order if you want more than one, because for the most part one of them will have to take precedent over the others.

As for caloric intake, personally I don't find it necessary for most people to really monitor "how much" they eat nearly as much as "what" and "when" they are eating. Few people (and virtually no noobs) really need to worry much if they use a good program with appropriate cardio. If anything most noobs (especially if they are trying to loose weight) will cut their diets too MUCH which leads to immature stalls and less than idea progress in their lifting stats.

With all that said, any of the programs in the "Routines and Advice" thread area good place to start. I would suggest you do one that works every muscle group at least 2x a week. Also focus on the major lifts (squats, deads and bench). For the most part you really don't need to worry about isolation lifts yet, those main lifts will give your minor muscles more than enough work for a while.

Oh, and as to the question regarding "how long" you'll be a noob that really depends on what your going for. I train and coach mostly for strength and the shortest I've had someone in a "beginners" routine is several months (with HARD training). Most people will be considered a "beginner" for at least a year and likely longer, but there are many factors (including age).

Hope this helps to start, post back with questions and I'll check back tomorrow.
    I hear exactly where you're coming from and I think this is the exact reason I'm in the dilemma that I am. Getting advice from friends that have been lifting for many years that aren't thinking about the fact that this is a whole new thing for me and that I need to approach it differently.

Physique is first, trying to look good, health is second and definitely the reason why I'm doing this most, followed by strength and weight loss. I've been slowly dropping the pounds, but I'm trying to drop it slowly enough that it doesn't affect my other goals too adversely.

As for the diet part, I'm eating lots of chicken breasts, brown rice and oatmeal. I just don't have a clue as to how much I should be taking in to build muscle without really packing on fat. Or is this not that big of a concern as long as I'm sticking to eating right?

To me, this is the routine that looks like it would have me the most motivated. I did notice my motivation dropped when I went to the once a week per body part routine.

A favorite of mine that hits each bodypart twice per week.

Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Ham Work: 8 reps
    3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 1: On
    Day 2: On
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: On
    Day 5: Off
    Day 6: On
    Day 7: Off

The only issue I have is that I don't have the equipment to do the chest dips, leg press and pull ups. Are ther some other exercises that I could use to hit these muscles (squats again or cable work)?

As for the newb thing, the reason I was asking is I was wondering how long I could get away with hitting each body part more than once a week. I'm glad to hear that I should be good to go for a while that way.

It definitely does, thank you.

kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JimmyBurns View Post
    I hear exactly where you're coming from and I think this is the exact reason I'm in the dilemma that I am. Getting advice from friends that have been lifting for many years that aren't thinking about the fact that this is a whole new thing for me and that I need to approach it differently.
    Yep, happens far more often than not. That's what separates a trainer (a good one anyway) from just a regular lifter.

Physique is first, trying to look good, health is second and definitely the reason why I'm doing this most, followed by strength and weight loss. I've been slowly dropping the pounds, but I'm trying to drop it slowly enough that it doesn't affect my other goals too adversely.
    Just listen to your body, for now you don't need to worry about weight (actually you should never worry about it). Add some HIIT to your routine and you'll be fine.

As for the diet part, I'm eating lots of chicken breasts, brown rice and oatmeal. I just don't have a clue as to how much I should be taking in to build muscle without really packing on fat. Or is this not that big of a concern as long as I'm sticking to eating right?
    That's a good start. If you're doing mainly chicken make sure you drink a lot of milk (skim or 2%).

The only issue I have is that I don't have the equipment to do the chest dips, leg press and pull ups. Are ther some other exercises that I could use to hit these muscles (squats again or cable work)?

As for the newb thing, the reason I was asking is I was wondering how long I could get away with hitting each body part more than once a week. I'm glad to hear that I should be good to go for a while that way.

It definitely does, thank you.
    Loose the leg-press and just do squats, they are FAR more beneficial for you anyway. As to the dips and pulls you can get a good "power-tower" at dicks-sporting (or your local sporting goods store) for $100 or less and it's worth every penny. Try to get one where the "arms" lift out of the way when you're not using them.

One side note, I don't know your stats now but you might want to consider doing lower reps (around 5-6 reps) at HEAVY weight across the board for a while to build some mass. Then after the mass is built you can switch up to more sets/reps to get a bit more tone and definition. Also the higher weight (especially on the squats and deads) helps your body a TON with bone density, ligament and joint health. It will make your body a lot stronger over all. Just a thought.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bull****. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Rippetoe

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

Yep, happens far more often than not. That's what separates a trainer (a good one anyway) from just a regular lifter.

Just listen to your body, for now you don't need to worry about weight (actually you should never worry about it). Add some HIIT to your routine and you'll be fine.

That's a good start. If you're doing mainly chicken make sure you drink a lot of milk (skim or 2%).

Loose the leg-press and just do squats, they are FAR more beneficial for you anyway. As to the dips and pulls you can get a good "power-tower" at dicks-sporting (or your local sporting goods store) for $100 or less and it's worth every penny. Try to get one where the "arms" lift out of the way when you're not using them.

One side note, I don't know your stats now but you might want to consider doing lower reps (around 5-6 reps) at HEAVY weight across the board for a while to build some mass. Then after the mass is built you can switch up to more sets/reps to get a bit more tone and definition. Also the higher weight (especially on the squats and deads) helps your body a TON with bone density, ligament and joint health. It will make your body a lot stronger over all. Just a thought.
    I can't do the multiquote thing on my phone so I'm kinds shooting from the hip.

Pardon my ignorance on some of the terminology, but what does HIT stand for?

I'll definitely add the milk, what is the benefit of it while eating mainly chicken? Is it to get some fat content or the calcium or?

I'll check out a tower power this weekend and maybe pick one up if it's in the budget.

I've mostly been doing 6-8 reps and I will drop it to 5 and give it a go.

Thanks again for everything.

I can't do the multiquote thing on my phone so I'm kinds shooting from the hip.

Pardon my ignorance on some of the terminology, but what does HIT stand for?

I'll definitely add the milk, what is the benefit of it while eating mainly chicken? Is it to get some fat content or the calcium or?

I'll check out a tower power this weekend and maybe pick one up if it's in the budget.

I've mostly been doing 6-8 reps and I will drop it to 5 and give it a go.

Thanks again for everything.
    HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training - it's a form of cardio that's far more effective for weight-loss and muscle gain/retention than Low-intensity (i.e. long-distance running). Here's some basic info http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747976 you can search around for some routines or I can recommend some based on your interests.

Milk is one of the best ways to ensure you're getting the protein and micro-nutrients you need to build muscle mass. It also has the ideal ratio of proteins types and is good source or calories since it's easier to drink a few glasses of milk throughout the day than take the time to eat a small snack/meal. Don't worry about protein shakes/mixes, they are a waste of money (for most people/lifters). Another great alternative if you need to supplement while your at work is is to take some dried-milk (walmart sells it in packets) and just mix as needed, through in some yogurt if you want.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training - it's a form of cardio that's far more effective for weight-loss and muscle gain/retention than Low-intensity (i.e. long-distance running). Here's some basic info you can search around for some routines or I can recommend some based on your interests.

Milk is one of the best ways to ensure you're getting the protein and micro-nutrients you need to build muscle mass. It also has the ideal ratio of proteins types and is good source or calories since it's easier to drink a few glasses of milk throughout the day than take the time to eat a small snack/meal. Don't worry about protein shakes/mixes, they are a waste of money (for most people/lifters). Another great alternative if you need to supplement while your at work is is to take some dried-milk (walmart sells it in packets) and just mix as needed, through in some yogurt if you want.
    alright, I'll check out your link a little later tonight after I'm done working out and see what I'm in for.

I'm going to hit the local Sports Authority this weekend and see if they have any power towers on the floor. I just want to make sure whatever I get is stable enough for my weight and hopefully one will follow me home.

You're definitely feeding me a lot of great info and it's awesome, thanks!

If there's a "Dicks Sporting Goods" near you that's where I got mine. You don't have your weight but I'm normally around 250# and it holds me no problem. I think the new(er) model of my is made by (or called) Spartan or something similar to that. It has the arms that tilt vertically so they're not in the way when you don't need them (which after a while you should NEVER need them, but we'll get to that another time. Think the normal price was $120 or something, on sale it always went down to $99.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

If there's a "Dicks Sporting Goods" near you that's where I got mine. You don't have your weight but I'm normally around 250# and it holds me no problem. I think the new(er) model of my is made by (or called) Spartan or something similar to that. It has the arms that tilt vertically so they're not in the way when you don't need them (which after a while you should NEVER need them, but we'll get to that another time. Think the normal price was $120 or something, on sale it always went down to $99.
    No, we don't have Dick's Sporting Goods up here. Although I did see that same one for I think 89 on their website, not sure if they have em in the stores. I was worried about their stability due to some reviews I read, but from what you're saying it sounds good, BTW I'm 215

No, we don't have Dick's Sporting Goods up here. Although I did see that same one for I think 89 on their website, not sure if they have em in the stores. I was worried about their stability due to some reviews I read, but from what you're saying it sounds good, BTW I'm 215
    I'm 250# and don't have a problem with mine. Have even done some weight on my dips so it will hold. Just try it out at the store, should be little to no flex in the tubing. Just make sure the legs as wide or wider than the pull-up bar(s) or at least wider than the widest grip you'll use (personally I don't do extra-wide grip pull-ups but it's a personal choice, us heavy-weights have enough trouble with regulars).
    Last edited by kziwarrior; 08-08-2009 at 04:43 PM.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

I'm 250# and don't have a problem with mine. Have even done some weight on my dips so it will hold. Just try it out at the store, should be little to no flex in the tubing. Just make sure the legs as wide or wider than the pull-up bar(s) or at least wider than the widest grip you'll use (personally I don't do extra-wide grip pull-ups but it's a personal choice, us heavy-weights have enough trouble with regulars).
    I swung by the Sports Authority by me. This is a huge store and they have just about anything you could imagine, just no Power Towers at the store, WTF?

They do have them online though. I'm gonna try and find something somewhere locally before I get robbed on shipping.

lol, doesn't surprise me, I hated that store when I lived in Va. As for online dicks and sports authority websites are run by the same (3rd party) company that is NOT associated with the stores (i.e. no returns to the stores). I'll look around later tonight and see if I can find some good ones for you.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

lol, doesn't surprise me, I hated that store when I lived in Va. As for online dicks and sports authority websites are run by the same (3rd party) company that is NOT associated with the stores (i.e. no returns to the stores). I'll look around later tonight and see if I can find some good ones for you.
    Yeah, unfortunately we really don't have any other big sporting goods stores around here.

I did find these two online at Sam's Club and I've got a buddy that's a member so I could have him order one for me if you think either of them are worth it.

I don't have high enough of a post count so I dropped the h off the front of the web address.

This one's $102, but shipping is extra.

ttp://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0009636298855_L4.jpg

The Power Tower features stations for vertical knee raises, dips, pull-ups/chin-ups and push-ups. The high density foam used for the back rest pad and the arm rest provides great support and comfort. The angled frame design keeps the body secured against the back pad to eliminate sway while performing knee raises.

VKR (Vertical Knee Raise) station
    Chin-up/pull-up station
    Dip station
    Push-up station
    High quality construction
    Angled frame design keeps body secured against back pad and eliminates body sway while performing knee raises
    Durable powder coated finish
    Dimension: 27" x 8.5" x 21"

This one's $132 with shipping included.

ttp://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0063844800269_L3.jpg

Reach your upper limits with the Best Fitness BFVK10 Vertical Knee Raise.

Owning the Best Fitness BFVK10 Vertical Knee Raise is like having multiple workout stations in a single, lightweight piece of equipment. Ideal for cramped quarters because of its small footprint and lightweight, the BFVK10 puts you in complete control of sculpting your abs, chest, back and arms. The freestanding VKR challenges you to use your own bodyweight to efficiently power your way through gut-slimming routines and muscle-defining exercises.

Whether you're focused on tightening your abs and obliques or concentrating on a chiseled look accomplished through pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups and dips, there's nothing like shaping and toning your physique in the comfort and privacy of your own home.

The BFVK10 is designed to provide an intense workout while eliminating strain on your lower back. Comfortable pads and sturdy, welded steel construction create a solid platform for you to lose inches and achieve a ripped fit look. Trust your gut instincts and get serious about your routine with the Best Fitness BFVK10 Vertical Knee Raise!

Sturdy steel frame delivers a solid performance day after day
    Thick, comfortable back pads and arm supports are designed to reduce fatigue and discomfort
    Dip station handles offer a thick, comfortable grip
    Lightweight design allows you to easily move the machine from an out-of-the-way corner to the middle of the room
    Multi-station functionality features pull-up bar, chin-up bar, vertical knee raise and parallel dip bars
    Front and side knee raises for washboard abs
    Chin-up bar for complete lat, shoulder and back development
    Parallel dip bars for entire chest, bicep and tricep workout
    Pull-up bar lets you choose a wide or narrow grip to build your back and arms
    Built-in push-up handles for total chest and tricep development
    Dimensions: 83"H x 43"L x 28"W
    Weight: 75 lbs.

Or I could order the same one you have online, I just don't know what shipping would run.

I've been searching for the one I have but it doesn't seem that anyone online has them anymore... here it is... I should be going to dicks later this week I'll see if they still have it in the store.

They thing I REALLY like about this is that the arms rotate up out of the way when your not using them. I'm not really impressed with either of those from Sam's but this sort of thing is nearly impossible to go on just by pics, really need to get on it and see. I'll see what they have a dicks this week and let you know (for online purchase). If worse case maybe we can work something out from this end. Where are you located?

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

This one is really close. It's more, but you can get it shipped to your local Walmart for free.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=10737829

It has the arms that push up (out of the way as well). And the close-grip (neutral) pull up handles are nice to have. My only concern is that it looks like it has a bit of a limited grip spacing. Dicks should have it in stock (looks like this is what replaced the one I got) I'll check it out this week and get back to you.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

I've been searching for the one I have but it doesn't seem that anyone online has them anymore... ww.buy.com/prod/spartan-sports-deluxe-power-tower-new/q/loc/17250/206215679.html here it is... I should be going to dicks later this week I'll see if they still have it in the store.

They thing I REALLY like about this is that the arms rotate up out of the way when your not using them. I'm not really impressed with either of those from Sam's but this sort of thing is nearly impossible to go on just by pics, really need to get on it and see. I'll see what they have a dicks this week and let you know (for online purchase). If worse case maybe we can work something out from this end. Where are you located?
    All the way over in Kent, WA.

Costco carries a Weider one like the one you posted (looks identical, but a different part number) that can be ordered online too for 219 shipped.

I was wondering about squats, I saw a post you made in another thread about not using a smith machine to do the squats. Unfortunately that's really the only safe way for me to do them since I workout at home alone. Is there a way to make this work decently with correct form? I know right now that I have to be doing something wrong because I really never really feel it in my hamstrings.

Costco carries a Weider one like the one you posted (looks identical, but a different part number) that can be ordered online too for 219 shipped.
    I would say that's your best bet then if you can afford it. Does the local store have a floor model?
    I was wondering about squats, I saw a post you made in another thread about not using a smith machine to do the squats. Unfortunately that's really the only safe way for me to do them since I workout at home alone. Is there a way to make this work decently with correct form? I know right now that I have to be doing something wrong because I really never really feel it in my hamstrings.
    That misconception is exactly why Smiths are so bad. A Smith machine lift is NO safer than a properly performed free lift and are, IMO arguably MORE dangerous because they lock you into linear motion which is NOT normal. They also tend to hide imbalances within your ROM which I've seen lead to injuries that would likely NOT have happened on a free weight lift. Learn to squat, and lift in general correctly. Pick up a copy of Starting Strength. It's invaluable for learning the big lifts. And sadly, I would urge you to consider selling the Smith machine and picking up a good rack/cage. Again the "safety" that you think the Smith offers you is an illusion and it will hinder your progress far more than it's claims of safety.

Until then there's not much you can do, you can try to make you lifts adhere to the strict linear motion but you are going to have a hard time, especially with the squats. While, in theory, most lifts are linear in orientation in application it just doesn't happen. Especially for beginners with moderate-advanced weights. Also you're going to miss out on most, if not all of the balancing aspects of the lifts (which is why they can lead to injury). Sorry, hate to be so harsh but they are just a very poor device for 99% of lifters. I really wish sports stores would stop pushing them...

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

I would say that's your best bet then if you can afford it. Does the local store have a floor model?

That misconception is exactly why Smiths are so bad. A Smith machine lift is NO safer than a properly performed free lift and are, IMO arguably MORE dangerous because they lock you into linear motion which is NOT normal. They also tend to hide imbalances within your ROM which I've seen lead to injuries that would likely NOT have happened on a free weight lift. Learn to squat, and lift in general correctly. Pick up a copy of ww.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249912321&sr=8-1]Starting Strength[/url]. It's invaluable for learning the big lifts. And sadly, I would urge you to consider selling the Smith machine and picking up a good rack/cage. Again the "safety" that you think the Smith offers you is an illusion and it will hinder your progress far more than it's claims of safety.

Until then there's not much you can do, you can try to make you lifts adhere to the strict linear motion but you are going to have a hard time, especially with the squats. While, in theory, most lifts are linear in orientation in application it just doesn't happen. Especially for beginners with moderate-advanced weights. Also you're going to miss out on most, if not all of the balancing aspects of the lifts (which is why they can lead to injury). Sorry, hate to be so harsh but they are just a very poor device for 99% of lifters. I really wish sports stores would stop pushing them...
    I don't think Costco has em on the floor either. I did just happen to drive by a place that I didn't know existed that is all exercise equipment but they don't have a website so I'm gonna swing by there tonight or tomorrow.

Don't be sorry, that's what I need to hear even if it's not what I want to hear. The only reason I was saying safe is in referrance to not getting trapped under the bar.

With a squat rack, what do to do if you can't lift the weight, just dump it backwards. Sorry, I've just never seen one being used. If so I think I can get a buddy of mine to build me one relatively cheap (a lot cheaper than what the exercise equipment companies want for them). I can also have him modify a power tower so I'd have the close grip option too.

I don't think Costco has em on the floor either. I did just happen to drive by a place that I didn't know existed that is all exercise equipment but they don't have a website so I'm gonna swing by there tonight or tomorrow.

Don't be sorry, that's what I need to hear even if it's not what I want to hear. The only reason I was saying safe is in referrance to not getting trapped under the bar.

With a squat rack, what do to do if you can't lift the weight, just dump it backwards. Sorry, I've just never seen one being used. If so I think I can get a buddy of mine to build me one relatively cheap (a lot cheaper than what the exercise equipment companies want for them). I can also have him modify a power tower so I'd have the close grip option too.
    Well the best thing is to be honest with yourself before the lift (i.e. if you can't get it, don't take it). But things can happen. With a good rack you will have the safety pins just below your bottom position, so if you need to you just go down a few inches. In worse case scenario, say something happens on your way up you just drop it off your back as you step forward. In a rack the vertical raiser bars will separate you as you step forward. In a cage configuration that bar is going to be caught by the safety bars and there is virtually no way, other than sheer stupidity to be caught "under" the bar. Same thing on the Bench Press, though a little less room for error, but the bars will still keep you from getting seriously injured (save for your pride).

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

Well the best thing is to be honest with yourself before the lift (i.e. if you can't get it, don't take it). But things can happen. With a good rack you will have the safety pins just below your bottom position, so if you need to you just go down a few inches. In worse case scenario, say something happens on your way up you just drop it off your back as you step forward. In a rack the vertical raiser bars will separate you as you step forward. In a cage configuration that bar is going to be caught by the safety bars and there is virtually no way, other than sheer stupidity to be caught "under" the bar. Same thing on the Bench Press, though a little less room for error, but the bars will still keep you from getting seriously injured (save for your pride).
    I'll definitely look at some of the equipment out there as I'm not familiar with what there is available.

I think one of my biggest issues may be not eating enough and/or enough of the right things. Do you know if there's a good thread in here that will point me in the right direction as to how many calories I should be taking in to try and put mass on? I see all of these posts where they say you have to eat big to get big, but there isn't any information on what needs to be done in them. I don't mind eating more, I just don't want to be eating so much that I'll be putting a bunch of fat on that I've worked hard to lose.

You mentioned before that you could give me some suggestions for HIIT training, would you mind sharing that info?

The thing that drives me nuts is there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be done and then find time for research, ugh!

I'll definitely look at some of the equipment out there as I'm not familiar with what there is available.
    You don't have to spend a ton. Some things to keep in mind is that the bench should be SEPARATE from the rack/cage. The cage should have hooks that are high enough for your squats and press (i.e. around your upper chest) and should have safety bars low enough for good squat depth. Adjustable safety bars are nice but not necessary.

I think one of my biggest issues may be not eating enough and/or enough of the right things. Do you know if there's a good thread in here that will point me in the right direction as to how many calories I should be taking in to try and put mass on? I see all of these posts where they say you have to eat big to get big, but there isn't any information on what needs to be done in them. I don't mind eating more, I just don't want to be eating so much that I'll be putting a bunch of fat on that I've worked hard to lose.
    To start worry about gaining muscle/weight. You will gain fat as well but it will be MUCH easier loose because of the added muscle mass you'll have. As far as diet, just keep it relatively clean (i.e. low fat, not NO fat). Get a few eggs for breakfast and drink PLENTY of milk throughout the day (start with about 1/2 G a day, low-fat or skim is fine). Try sticking to a relatively low GI diet (South Beach is a great area to look at, not the "plan" necessary but the idea behind it).

You mentioned before that you could give me some suggestions for HIIT training, would you mind sharing that info?

The thing that drives me nuts is there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be done and then find time for research, ugh!
    Depends on what you like to do and what you have access to. One of my favs is heavy-bag work. A classic that will really put you through the ringer is called "burpies". Look them up on Youtube or on here (essentially a push-up combined with a jumping jack). Start with a short time say a min or so and then take a min or two off and repeat a few times. After you get in shape switch to a count and aim to do it as quickly as possible then rest. Adjust accordingly as you advance. The key area to HIIT is in the name HIGH INTENSITY and INTERVAL. You want to engage your full body and hit a HIGH heart rate quickly for a short period, rest/recover and repeat. Exercises that engage your full body, preferably with resistance are better. Eventually you may want to invest in a HRM but that can wait until after your new bench and rack.

Yeah, the time sucks. Most of us in the "real world" have to make some big sacrifices. Usually sleep and/or leisure time. But it's worth it, IMHO especially when you see how weak, lazy and fat the average person it (ego can be good ).

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

You don't have to spend a ton. Some things to keep in mind is that the bench should be SEPARATE from the rack/cage. The cage should have hooks that are high enough for your squats and press (i.e. around your upper chest) and should have safety bars low enough for good squat depth. Adjustable safety bars are nice but not necessary.

To start worry about gaining muscle/weight. You will gain fat as well but it will be MUCH easier loose because of the added muscle mass you'll have. As far as diet, just keep it relatively clean (i.e. low fat, not NO fat). Get a few eggs for breakfast and drink PLENTY of milk throughout the day (start with about 1/2 G a day, low-fat or skim is fine). Try sticking to a relatively low GI diet (South Beach is a great area to look at, not the "plan" necessary but the idea behind it).

Depends on what you like to do and what you have access to. One of my favs is heavy-bag work. A classic that will really put you through the ringer is called "burpies". Look them up on Youtube or on here (essentially a push-up combined with a jumping jack). Start with a short time say a min or so and then take a min or two off and repeat a few times. After you get in shape switch to a count and aim to do it as quickly as possible then rest. Adjust accordingly as you advance. The key area to HIIT is in the name HIGH INTENSITY and INTERVAL. You want to engage your full body and hit a HIGH heart rate quickly for a short period, rest/recover and repeat. Exercises that engage your full body, preferably with resistance are better. Eventually you may want to invest in a HRM but that can wait until after your new bench and rack.

Yeah, the time sucks. Most of us in the "real world" have to make some big sacrifices. Usually sleep and/or leisure time. But it's worth it, IMHO especially when you see how weak, lazy and fat the average person it (ego can be good ).
    Cool, I'll definitely check the youtube stuff out and add it to my routine.

I hear what you're saying about the fact that I will put on some day with the muscle and I'm OK with that. I just jave no idea how much I should adjust my caloric intake to start with. If I'm around
    2200 calories a day, do I just bump it a couple of hundred or is it more drastic than that?

I'll check the diet stuff too.

Thanks again man.

Cool, I'll definitely check the youtube stuff out and add it to my routine.

I hear what you're saying about the fact that I will put on some day with the muscle and I'm OK with that. I just jave no idea how much I should adjust my caloric intake to start with. If I'm around
    2200 calories a day, do I just bump it a couple of hundred or is it more drastic than that?

I'll check the diet stuff too.

Thanks again man.
    Unless you're a teenage girl 2200 is WAY to low. Remember that most of the BMR calculators out there are only calculate your BASE rates, not your actual requirements. And most people are confused to what that means... your BMR is how many calories you need to take in (throughout the day) to allow your metabolism to stay active and not shut down. Go under that and your body goes into survival mode and stores energy (particularly fat). You need to account for all your activities throughout the day. Strenuous lifting is GREATLY underestimated in terms of caloric requirements, IMHO far more people unknowingly or unintentionally run caloric deficits even when they are trying to gain... Just eat clean and eat good portions several times a day until your body gets adjusted to the routines, then you can worry more about your diet.

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

Unless you're a teenage girl 2200 is WAY to low. Remember that most of the BMR calculators out there are only calculate your BASE rates, not your actual requirements. And most people are confused to what that means... your BMR is how many calories you need to take in (throughout the day) to allow your metabolism to stay active and not shut down. Go under that and your body goes into survival mode and stores energy (particularly fat). You need to account for all your activities throughout the day. Strenuous lifting is GREATLY underestimated in terms of caloric requirements, IMHO far more people unknowingly or unintentionally run caloric deficits even when they are trying to gain... Just eat clean and eat good portions several times a day until your body gets adjusted to the routines, then you can worry more about your diet.
    Sounds good. Besides, I've proven throughout the years that I can eat! Lol

But now, I just need to eat right while doing it.

Thanks, Jimmy