LoseButGain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is the cardio and weight lifting myth true?

Some background:
    I've been weight lifting for a couple months now and have noticed an change in strength and a bit physically too. However, I still have my gut. I am 22 years old, 5'7, weigh about 165lbs. I don't consider myself fat, just developed a gut, so my stomach is my main issue. My diet is pretty good, with around 150grams of protein a day (more or less), and eat around 2000 calories.

So my question:
    Obviously, I want to lose my gut but at the same time, I don't want to stop weight lifting. Now, is it recommended to do a bit of cardio in order to burn fat WHILE weight lifting? I've been told that doing so is a bit counter productive, because apparently you tend to shrink muscle as you do cardio.

If this is not true, then I want to continue my 5 day workout, and add in a bit of cardio (treadmill) at the end.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by LoseButGain; 08-02-2009 at 02:14 PM.

ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ThePerfectOne is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Myth!

Weight training + cardio + caloric deficit will get you the best and fastest results.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course you can do cardio.

Either do it on an off day or after your weight session.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LoseButGain View Post
    Some background:
    I've been weight lifting for a couple months now and have noticed an change in strength and a bit physically too. However, I still have my gut. I am 22 years old, 5'7, weigh about 165lbs. I don't consider myself fat, just developed a gut, so my stomach is my main issue. My diet is pretty good, with around 150grams of protein a day (more or less), and eat around 2000 calories.

So my question:
    Obviously, I want to lose my gut but at the same time, I don't want to stop weight lifting. Now, is it recommended to do a bit of cardio in order to burn fat WHILE weight lifting? I've been told that doing so is a bit counter productive, because apparently you tend to shrink muscle as you do cardio.

If this is not true, then I want to continue my 5 day workout, and add in a bit of cardio (treadmill) at the end.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
    What's counterproductive is trying to gain muscle while losing fat at the same time, but whichever one you are doing, you should be doing both cardio and lifting (lifting while you're in a caloric defecit will help minimize muscle loss, and cardio while you're in a surplus will minimize fat gain)
    Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.

Lift the damn weight, and eat the damn food. It's as hard and as complicated as you make it.

Registered User sirbobmontgomery's Avatar
    sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirbobmontgomery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Combining cardio with resistance training will burn calories intra and post workout. Make sure you're hitting your macros as well and you'll be good.

ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ZeMax has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'd say a quick refuel before hitting cardio would be the best in terms of quality gains, especially if you sit on longer splits or just lift hiit. Just bring some food or hell why not a fruit and a shake.

Thanks a lot! Since the treadmill would be my choice of cardio, how long/often should I be doing it? I lift 5 days a week, monday thru friday. I'm thinking of hitting the treadmill everyday, after each workout, for about 30 minutes. Too much? Too little?

Thank you in advance!

JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JZ11790 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I warm up everyday with 10 minutes of cardio. Raises your core temperature, gets the blood pumping, and reduces the risk of injury.
    Rep me if I help, I rep back.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eh I just take some cheap aminos before the cardio and it seems to work out fine.

Does one need to ? No but if your worried about protein breakdown etc..it helps.

Good luck!
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is the cardio and weight lifting myth true?
    A myth is fictitious by definition. So by you identifying the notion at hand as such, you have answered your own question.

HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopefulDO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    depends on the intensity of the cardio and if you are hitting your macro's or not.
    if so then no need to worry about it.

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cardio can be done in the morning on empty stomach, during you're lunch break at work, after weight training, at night, on the weekends, etc.

Keep in caloric deficit and watch that gut disappear.

I thought that you shrink muscle by taking in less calories than the amount being burned/used...guess not. Thanks everyone!

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's not really true. Unless you are doing an inordinate amount of cardio or not eating correctly, you won't lose a substantial amount of muscle.

Do some cardio, HIIT or LISS, after a weight session and you're good to go.
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10) Passion4Pump is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thought that you shrink muscle by taking in less calories than the amount being burned/used...guess not. Thanks everyone!
    yea, you're going to lose a little bit of muscle no matter what. But if your weight training and diet are in check, you should lose minimal muscle assuming a reasonable caloric deficit.

RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Passion4Pump View Post
    A myth is fictitious by definition. So by you identifying the notion at hand as such, you have answered your own question.
    What a jerky response and a incorrect one. He didnt answer his own question at all. He asked weather the myth is true... Or not.
    5'11" 200 lbs(ish) 12%

Right Arm-16 3/4" Left-16 1/8"=(
    Right Forearm-13 1/4 Left-12 3/5
    Chest 43"
    Right Leg-24 1/4" Left -24"
    Right Calf-15 1/2" Left-15 1/2"

Bench Max as of July-335, probaly around 300 now, but going up

samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000) samatash is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Passion4Pump View Post
    A myth is fictitious by definition. So by your identifying the notion at hand as such, you have answered your own question.
    If you're going to try to act smart, use proper grammar.
    USAF