NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500)

Cooking with Beans/Lentils?

I am trying to get better carbs into my diet, and more fiber. I am going to attempt to make a stew/soup tomorrow, and I am looking for suggestions on what exactly to use, I am not familiar with how to cook, or what type of beans to use.

I want to make a soup with beef, carrots, potatoes, celery, tomatoes, onions, and then work some beans/lentils into it and maybe some brown rice, I like thick soups.

Any ideas?
    06/01/09 - 205lbs
    07/01/09 - 195lbs
    08/01/09 - 193lbs
    Goal: 180lbs
    By: Labor Day Weekend (09/05/09)

SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SirChubalots is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    throw everything you can in a crockpot = profit
    ~Perogies Crew~

**Natalie Portman Crew** Member #4 (of 4)

NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500) NAU_JOSH is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SirChubalots View Post
    I just bought one today actually, only $15 at BigLots.
    06/01/09 - 205lbs
    07/01/09 - 195lbs
    08/01/09 - 193lbs

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SirChubalots View Post
    This (with some low sodium chicken stock); you really can't go wrong with carrots, potatoes, sweet peppers, celery and onions - just sautee them, pour some chicken stock in, add the meat and cook on a low heat. Also don't forget to put some salt and pepper in (maybe even garlic/onion powder, paprika etc.)

I also find cold chickpea (or lentil/bean) salad with tuna chunks/cod, tomato and green beans very appealing (usually my PWO meal). Depending on your taste/macro-reqs you can work a tbspoon or two of EVOO, mayo or some brazil nuts in; add a few pinches of salt/soy sauce (don't know what you prefer), chives and black pepper and you're good to go.

If I am cooknig with beef cubes, shouild I use low-sodium beef stock?

How long do I cook everything? I want to make something like those Chunky soups they sell.
    06/01/09 - 205lbs
    07/01/09 - 195lbs
    08/01/09 - 193lbs

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NAU_JOSH View Post
    If I am cooknig with beef cubes, shouild I use low-sodium beef stock?

How long do I cook everything? I want to make something like those Chunky soups they sell.
    Right you are. Use the beef stock for beef cubes, chicken for chicken.

If you like it like that (all sludgy and chunky, like you said) cook it really long - when everything is nicely sauteed and mixed together simmer it (low heat) with the lid off for about and hour or 2, even more. You'll see for yourself as you go along and adjust the cooking time to get it more brothy.

Don't forget the parsley/chives, some oregano/thyme if you like it and basically any other spice that goes along with you pallet. Experiment! Also add some flour (before pouring in the stock and starting to simmer it) if you like it more thick.

Originally Posted by tagun View Post
    Right you are. Use the beef stock for beef cubes, chicken for chicken.

If you like it like that (all sludgy and chunky, like you said) cook it really long - when everything is nicely sauteed and mixed together simmer it (low heat) with the lid off for about and hour or 2, even more. You'll see for yourself as you go along and adjust the cooking time to get it more brothy.

Don't forget the parsley/chives, some oregano/thyme if you like it and basically any other spice that goes along with you pallet. Experiment! Also add some flour (before pouring in the stock and starting to simmer it) if you like it more thick.
    So I saute up everything in a big pan, cook it most of the way, then put it in the crock pot?

Thanks for the tips, I never realized how much money you can save by making food like this.
    06/01/09 - 205lbs
    07/01/09 - 195lbs
    08/01/09 - 193lbs

--Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10) --Pulse-- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you want beans, you can't go past a good chili, just meat, onion, beans, tomatoes, cpasicums, and lots of chili, cumin, garlic, pepper etc.

Lentils make good soup especially with crusty bread.

For a good stew just use a generous amount of onion, meat, carrots, potato, etc and split peas, and a lot of strong spices and some stock.

That's the idea. Start sauteeing diced onions then add the rest of the vegetables. You can also add the meat at this time. Sautee a bit (add flour if you want; no need to cook the vegetables/meat most of the way as they are going to simmer for a long time) then transfer to a crockpot and add the stock and the spices. Bring it to a boil then remove the lid, set heat to low and simmer away. You might have to add some water as you go along, depending on how thick/watery you want it, how long you decided to actually simmer it and how much of the stock you went with.

It's a money saver for sure; you can make a LOOOT of it and freeze it up for the whole week.

Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NAU_JOSH View Post
    So I saute up everything in a big pan, cook it most of the way, then put it in the crock pot?

Thanks for the tips, I never realized how much money you can save by making food like this.
    soak the lentils and beans like a mufugga before you stick 'em in anything
    fukn Brozart
    I'm a hugger

emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok- I know this sounds gross but it is my favorite way to eat beans! There are tons of variations-- just google black bean brownies or bean cake or bean muffins whatever you are looking for:

CHOCOLATE BEAN BROWNIES
    1 Can RINSED & DRAINED black beans
    3 Eggs or egg substitute
    3 TBS. smart balance or other butter
    1/2 cup good cocoa powder
    1 TSP. VANILLA
    ?- ? C. SWEETNER like splenda or stevia

MIX INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A BLENDER/ FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL PUREE. POUR INTO A GREASED 8x8 CAKE PAN.
    BAKE 350 APPX. 30 MIN-- very dense and extrememly yummy

OR

Bean Muffins
    1 can white beans, drained and rinsed well (great northern or chickpeas)
    3 eggs
    1/2 C splenda
    1/4 C sf flavored syrup or sf pancake syrup
    2 T Smart balanace or other butter
    1 T cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Mix everything in a blender or food processor . Add to muffin pans sprayed with cooking spray. Bake about 30-40 min or until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.

OR

Chickpea Blondies

Non-stick cooking spray
    1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup splenda
    1/2 cup all-fruit spread
    1/4 cup crunchy natural peanut butter or tahini
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flax meal
    2 tablespoons (20 g) brown rice flour (or 2 more tablespoons (14 g) flax meal)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Preheat oven to 350?F Lightly coat an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan with spray.
    In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until perfectly smooth, scraping sides often.
    Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
    Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before placing in the fridge and slicing.
    Enjoy cold from the fridge. These blondies freeze well, too.