giacona has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how to loose weight?

I just started working out again and joined a gym last week. I need to loose a good 15 pounds and roughly 2 inches off my waist. Am I better off doing all cardio for now such as tredmill, bike, swim and olypticial machines until I reach my goal then do a mixture of weight traning and cardio? Or do I need to mix it up from the begenning? I know it's going to take me some time to build my endurance back up so I wont be going full speed cardio for about another 2 weeks.

My other prb is eating. Lunch is my biggest problem and sometimes breakfast. I am trying to stick to grilled chicken, veggies fish etc for dinner.

If anyone has some decent advice please help

Overreach, rest, repeat.. stracin's Avatar
    stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First, you gotta weight train. If you just focus on cardio and cutting diet, you will lose muscle as well. And we all know that muscle is what burns calories. So, what happens when you lose muscle to lose weight? It eventually gets harder and harder as there is less muscle to burn those calories. Then, if that's not bad enough, you are more likely to gain more fat back b/c you no longer have the muscle/metabolism to keep the fat off anymore. Weight train.

You can do cardio, or you can do diet to decrease your weight. It's all about being in a caloric deficit. First, you find out your daily caloric maintenance, then you subtract 3-500kcals. You can do that by cardio, diet or both. Probably easier to do both. Don't go over those numbers as your body will be more likely to shed muscle. Also, in time, as you get lighter, your metabolism gets lower as well. You will know this when your weight plateaus b/c you have a knew caloric maintenance, at which point, you will have to subtract more calories from your diet.
    Last edited by stracin; 07-31-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Bench: 355
    Squat: 415 (ATG)
    DL: 585

Total: 1355

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Some results of interest:
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT%26End.html
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html

Studies like the above suggest to me that a mixture of weight training, cardio, and proper nutrition will be better than focusing on just one or two elements alone.