x19delta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) x19delta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much weight loss on average during Keto

I have read so much on this website and I just started looking into Keto. Im 6ft, 225 lbs, about 24-28% BF (depending on the damn scale). I work out 6 days a week. I have been doing high reps/low weight to cut. Although Im now thinking about low reps/high weight after reading so many sucess stories. I do 15-20 mins of cardio (treadmill or eliptical) after lifting every day.
    How much can I expect to lose on average on keto?

Also if anyone has experience with those scales that tell body fat...I put in standard body type and it says 28% BF and then athletic and it says 23% BF....so I dont know which one to go by. Is the calipers/measurement method better than the scales?

Thanks guys.
    "Americans sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell

“If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied.” - The Rock

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." -Jesus

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The weight loss is all over the map . . . would be impossible to say what an average is. But you should drop quite a bit of water weight in the first week or so (it's not unusual for people to drop 5 or 10 pounds in the first 7 - 10 days). But don't get discouraged if you don't . . . or too excited if you lose more. Some people lose more/faster and for others it's more steady--it was more slow for me. As long as you are losing and seeing progress in weight loss, measurements, and the mirror it's all good.

As for the bf% scales . . . don't waste your time. It will drive you crazy . . . those things are notoriously inaccurate and you will probably find that the bf% readings swing wildly from day to day (and even hour to hour). I have a Tanita and I don't trust it for anything except weight.

You are much better off taking progress pics, measurements, and going by the mirror and how your clothes fit, IMHO. Calipers are good, but can be tricky to get the hang of and to be consistent. I have a pair and have gotten better at using them. But I still have trouble getting consistent readings sometimes.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfh1973 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by taf1968 View Post
    The weight loss is all over the map . . . would be impossible to say what an average is. But you should drop quite a bit of water weight in the first week or so (it's not unusual for people to drop 5 or 10 pounds in the first 7 - 10 days). But don't get discouraged if you don't . . . or too excited if you lose more. Some people lose more/faster and for others it's more steady--it was more slow for me. As long as you are losing and seeing progress in weight loss, measurements, and the mirror it's all good.

As for the bf% scales . . . don't waste your time. It will drive you crazy . . . those things are notoriously inaccurate and you will probably find that the bf% readings swing wildly from day to day (and even hour to hour). I have a Tanita and I don't trust it for anything except weight.

You are much better off taking progress pics, measurements, and going by the mirror and how your clothes fit, IMHO. Calipers are good, but can be tricky to get the hang of and to be consistent. I have a pair and have gotten better at using them. But I still have trouble getting consistent readings sometimes.
    This is why with calipers I will take measurements 3-4 times and then average it out.

joewiggs32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by x19delta View Post
    I have read so much on this website and I just started looking into Keto. Im 6ft, 225 lbs, about 24-28% BF (depending on the damn scale). I work out 6 days a week. I have been doing high reps/low weight to cut. Although Im now thinking about low reps/high weight after reading so many sucess stories. I do 15-20 mins of cardio (treadmill or eliptical) after lifting every day.

Also if anyone has experience with those scales that tell body fat...I put in standard body type and it says 28% BF and then athletic and it says 23% BF....so I dont know which one to go by. Is the calipers/measurement method better than the scales?

Thanks guys.
    I was or am in the same boat you are. I step on that scale too often to if there is any progress but usually my scale is wacked out. I then bought a hand held (you out both hands on it it) and that registers 18.9%. My digital scale says anywhere between 23-26%. I also changed the athlete to the normal which made a difference but which one do you believe? lol! My hanheld says an althetes is someone who trains 10 hours a week. I am 6'2 226lbs now. When I started Keto seriously I lost about 6 pounds. That was only last week. It is mostly water eight I am told. I just had my first headaches yesterday and my mouth is tasting funny. lol. I think I am in. All the while eating so many good foods. I would say ditch the scale for about a week ( I know it's hard) and then hop on it and look at your results.

Sircrayon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I check the scale every morning..lol

We have one of those doctor scales so I think its a TINY bit more accurate.

I'm 6ft and was at 193.

My initial water weight dropped me to about 187 and now i've been steadily losing weight about 1.5-2lbs a week while my lifts are still increasing! Planning to cut till im 170lbs.

So all looks well, keep it up!

Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liverano is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks guys.
    I'm trying to bulk while on Keto. Increased my protein and fats and have been lifting like a madman. Nothing outside of the normal supps. Bodyfat testers can vary. I can go from a 9.4-12.2 depending on what I ate, hydration, etc. I'm down about 5 lbs but my measurements have made gains. Good luck on your goals.

PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PGW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My running average since I started keto (Jan 1 2009) has been about 1lb a week. But most of that came in three or four 'spurts', it has not been consistent at all.

NFSCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was losing at least 3-5lbs a week when I was on a low-carb ketogenic diet. I checked how far into ketosis i was in everyday twice usually in the mid purple range on the strips you can buy. I lost around 20lbs going from 197lbs to right now 177lbs. I stopped after 2 months and started weightlifting and eating more carbs but nothing like my old eating habits which has helped me mantain my weight without being in ketosis. During ketosis though you really don't have to excercise just watch your caloric intake, but if you do exercise then it of course helps you reach your fat loss goal. I'm thinking about getting back into ketosis so i can reach 165lbs or 160lbs but I don't want to risk losing muscle mass so i dont know what to do.

Hope this helped.

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At least for me weight loss has been pretty irrelevant for keto- I can see the fat melting away, and I can see the muscle being packed on (still in that newbie gain period I think), but my weight hasn't changed much. From 206 to around 200. If it helps, pre-keto 36" waist pants were tight, I'm now wearing 33" pants very comfortably and am about to add a third notch to my belt. This after about 4-5 weeks of keto.

Also before starting keto I had my body fat measured at 23% by bioelectrical impedance, and this test is worthless while on keto because of hydration changes (after losing 6 lbs and 3"+ off my waist I went from 23% to 29% according to dude's scanner).
    Last edited by klir_2m; 07-31-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    The more you know, the more you squat.
    Raw 1RM's: 455 Squat, 450 Deadlift, 225 Bench

DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100) DelijaZauvjek is not very well liked. (-100)

Thanks guys.
    High reps/low weight to cut is a myth bro get back to high weight low reps(6-10).

Switch from 15-20 minutes of cardio to about 30-60 minutes of low intensity cardio. High intensity cardio could burn off the protein in your muscle as a secondary energy resource if you're doing a high intensity and don't have enough carbs in your system. You don't want to risk that. A 30-60 minute walk/jog or swim(my personal favorite) always gets the job done.

Weight loss fluctuates from person to person to be honest. In the beginning you're supposed to lose the most especially if it's your first time on this diet. Some people lose anywhere from 5-10 pounds in the first week! That all depends on your bodyfat as well.
    Every preceding week you're supposed to be losing less and less pounds but you'll be looking leaner and leaner. Don't look at scales and use a mirror
    Sometimes it might be water weight or you might have gained some pounds in muscle. Don't let it fool you

GOOD LUCK!

wpgwildcat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is there a minimum time you should stay in ketosis for fat loss (I don't have seizures). Or can you go in and come out as you need. I am only looking to cut 15-20 lbs. Could I get away with 1.5-2 months?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wpgwildcat View Post
    Is there a minimum time you should stay in ketosis for fat loss (I don't have seizures). Or can you go in and come out as you need. I am only looking to cut 15-20 lbs. Could I get away with 1.5-2 months?
    1. Epic bump
    2. You're over 6"0 and 176lbs, cutting is the stupidest thing you could do
    3. 15-20lbs in 1.5-2 months? Water maybe, no chance for fat. Not to mention it's a stupid idea

wpgwildcat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    1. Epic bump
    2. You're over 6"0 and 176lbs, cutting is the stupidest thing you could do
    3. 15-20lbs in 1.5-2 months? Water maybe, no chance for fat. Not to mention it's a stupid idea
    I am actually around 180-185 right now. And endurance athlete I race at 166-168. Just looking to get closer to race weight so when the time comes to drop the last few I am not that far off. I have just been struggling to maintain lately can't figure out why. Thought I might give this a shot.

D

godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250) godevs4ever has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wpgwildcat View Post
    I am actually around 180-185 right now. And endurance athlete I race at 166-168. Just looking to get closer to race weight so when the time comes to drop the last few I am not that far off. I have just been struggling to maintain lately can't figure out why. Thought I might give this a shot.

D
    Actually 15-20lbs is doable in 1.5-2months. It's not all water weight as I've done extreme cuts where I've lost 20+ pounds a month (non-consecutively) 4 times. It's extreme and VERY hard to do because you have to eat right to store up enough energy to workout with good to high intensity. However, I will say this, I've been working out for 11 years, on and off and when my "on" periods are there I'm 110% and know exactly what I'm doing since I've been a personal trainer for the last 6 years. I wouldn't recommend my technique and plan for anyone who isn't incredibly serious about a super quick transformation. Now, that being said, keto weight loss varies from individual to individual and also depends on how good that individual is with regarding there "cheat meals" or "cheat days" I recommend "Cheat meals" because cheat days can complete wreck havoc on a persons progress and then when they step on the dreaded scale and see what happened it could also provide a mental obstacle that could be easily avoided.

I recommend keto if you know what you're doing, but if you're a newbie to dieting, exercising or fitness in general I recommend a slow transfer from regularly eating well to a carb-deficient diet plan such a keto so that your body doesn't go into shock and make you crave carbs. Or crave having a blowout on something that might just erase all of your progress.

EDIT: Feel free to check out my bodyspace page as my current cut (I'm going for 50 lbs) is going on right now. And for those naysayers, I'm cutting 50 lbs because I'm 225 right now and the pictures on my website where I'm in shape (circa 2006) are when I was 25-30 lbs UNDER the 200 mark. I'd rather be lean than hefty as I've seen it decrease my performance in sports and/or everyday life. It's not a feeling I wish to have any longer, hence the big, extreme cut to get back to where I was 6 years ago.
    You Have To Sacrifice What You Are, For What You Will Become.

I rep back!

National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified - 10 years

Follow me on Social Media:

Instagram: @Understarmor
    ********: Paul Starnes Fitness