gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Is it possible to bulk up on a low-carb diet?

I have an acid reflux problem (heartburn) and a low-carb diet seems to be helping (it's actually a known thing that low-carbs diet help control acid reflux). I don't really want to go on any medication. So, can I still gain weight without loading myself with carbs? I am planning on eating only 40-60 grams of carbs a day.

Any specific adjustments I need to make?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mike

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would suggest that you do what makes you feel better.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Would carb cycling be an option?
    timbahwolffff on Instagram

CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IMO, you eat above maintenance, you will gain, low carb, high carb, or no carb.

If you need to eat low carb for your digestive tract, just eat low carb above maintnenance level.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes you can make gains on a low carb diet. They will likely be at a slower pace than if you were eating a more balanced diet, but they will still be noticable.
    I'm a sad little man

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I made some newbie gains early on with a very low carb diet. But I kind of hit a wall eventually, but I hit my fat loss goal and was able to add carbs back into my diet.
    I can eat a lot more now since my current workload and metabolism supports it.
    If I cut back carbs too much now I tend to gas out quickly in my workouts.

T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy

Could just be me, but I dont seem to have a chance in hell of actually bulking while on a low carb diet, however maintaining strength & muscle is possible....
    Carb loading on the other hand (along with sufficient protein), seems keep my muscles much fuller and I can bulk succesfully!

It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gopnik View Post
    I have an acid reflux problem (heartburn) and a low-carb diet seems to be helping (it's actually a known thing that low-carbs diet help control acid reflux). I don't really want to go on any medication. So, can I still gain weight without loading myself with carbs? I am planning on eating only 40-60 grams of carbs a day.

Mike
    Of course...as long as your caloric intake is in excess of what you burn...
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

Vareth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vareth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EMISGOD View Post
    Of course...as long as your caloric intake is in excess of what you burn...

This. Your gains will be slower on a low carb diet and you will not have the same intensity/strength during workouts, but you will build.

Undermine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes. But you'll have to be extra careful to not overtrain when you are on low carbs. Overtraining on low carbs = muscle loss.

Also factoring in is your body type. If you are an ecto, it will take longer.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html

It's a long read, but pretty informative and all-inclusive.

You can also pose the question on the Keto forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

A few people have done bulks on keto, which is ultra low carb.
    Last edited by Minotaur; 07-31-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Mike
    Wont' comment directly to your question of whether or not you can gain on low-carb but since you mentioned acid reflux I figured I would address that. This past winter I did the 'anabolic diet' where you eat less than 30g carbs/day during week and 'reload' on teh weekend. I noticed during the week that my gas and acid reflux were completely gone which was the first time in my life I'd make the connection to carbs.

Over teh course of the 4 months I was on that diet I played with various combinations of carbs during the weekends and it turns out that some whole grains like steel cut oats were the worst offenders for me. Things like sweet potatos had no real affect on acid reflux.

Bottom line, I think if you want to continue with a balanced diet and include carbs, then take a week or 2 at a time and focus on different kinds of carbs to see which ones affect you. It can even get so tricky as to be certain types of beans -- like split peas would give me wicked gas but black beans no problems. Oats - heartburn but spaghettie = no problems.

BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Mike
    Your stomach is not producing enough stomach acid (serious). Try taking two capsules of Vital Nutrients 'Betain HCL Pepsin & Gentian Root'.
    "The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work."-T. Edison-

"Governments should also decrease the role of economists - they're no more reliable than astrologers, and they do more damage."-N. Taleb-

"A fundamental characteristic of our economy is that the financial system swings between robustness and fragility, and these swings are an integral part of the process that generates business cycles."-H. Minsky-

gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10) gopnik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrNismo View Post
    Wont' comment directly to your question of whether or not you can gain on low-carb but since you mentioned acid reflux I figured I would address that. This past winter I did the 'anabolic diet' where you eat less than 30g carbs/day during week and 'reload' on teh weekend. I noticed during the week that my gas and acid reflux were completely gone which was the first time in my life I'd make the connection to carbs.

Over teh course of the 4 months I was on that diet I played with various combinations of carbs during the weekends and it turns out that some whole grains like steel cut oats were the worst offenders for me. Things like sweet potatos had no real affect on acid reflux.

Bottom line, I think if you want to continue with a balanced diet and include carbs, then take a week or 2 at a time and focus on different kinds of carbs to see which ones affect you. It can even get so tricky as to be certain types of beans -- like split peas would give me wicked gas but black beans no problems. Oats - heartburn but spaghettie = no problems.

Thank you for a VERY informative reply. In the last two days I started noticing exactly the same thing: not all carbs are created equal. Some give me more hearburn than others. I will experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks!
    Mike