Olympic Lifter To Be BredFromFire's Avatar
    BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000) BredFromFire is just really nice. (+1000)

Mercury in Tuna, Must Read if you eat large amounts

We all know tuna is one of the best foods for anyone looking to get bigger and stronger, but seriously could it be dangerous to eat too much of it?

Mercury can be found in almost all kinds of fish... but tuna has more of it than most other kinds and can prove to be a problem in high doses. Yeah, its mercury, the stuff from the thermometers we were all told not to touch as kids.

Take a good look at this article:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/5679.html

As well as this calculator which is based off of what the FDA deams to be dangerous exposure levels based off size and gender.

http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator

I know a lot of guys involved in strength training have a lot of tuna in their diets due to its high amount of protein, some even have diets almost entirely of tuna.

I just wanted to bring this potential health threat out there. I've been doing some research and mercury poisoning from fish is extremely legitimate and it shocked me to find out that someone my size (145 pounds) should not excede more than 3 fourths of a can of tuna (4.5 ounces) PER WEEK.
    Start/Now
    Back Squat: 155/405
    Deadlift: 145/415
    Bench Press: 1 pound/1 kilogram

proud sponser of brool story co., bringing you brool stories since 1932

**shoulder injury putting oly lifting on hold**

Jiu-Jitsu jizzbelt

MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikessekiM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    per week? cmon now

JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yep, it sucks to.

I stopped eating tuna awhile back because I was concerned.

Tuna has gone up in price compared to a year ago. But still is fairly cheap.

I wish I could eat it every day cause it is convenient to just pop it open and make a meal.

papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I eat 6 cans of Mercury laden tuna with hopes that one day I, too, will become a superhero.

Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000) Ryanmcd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Unless you are 6 pounds or pregant eat a can a day, I have for about 6 months now with 0 issues.

JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10) JuicyAnimal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by papasmurf2217 View Post
    I eat 6 cans of Mercury laden tuna with hopes that one day I, too, will become a superhero.
    Look, up in the sky, it's a bird, no it's a plane, no, it's Mercury Man!!

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Chunk light tuna has trace amounts.

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SwiftyX View Post
    Chunk light tuna has trace amounts.

This + just eat cod, tilapia, pollack, salmon etc.

Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kasper419 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    According to that calculator, I should be dead after like 1 week of what my diet looks like ^^
    Active USN - Master-At-Arms - Deployed in the 'Stan.

Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500) Lwoodfootball is not very helpful. (-500)
    I can have the whole can

u mad?
    "Fear nothing"

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This thread is making me mad and I'm going to flip my lid for some odd reason.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, everyone should be aware of their tuna intake.. and the mercury *risk*

btw, when you drain the water from most cans of tuna, you're really only left with 95g (3.3oz)
    The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    This thread is making me mad and I'm going to flip my lid for some odd reason.
    *enter 'take chill pill' image*

take twice daily; if nausia, indigestion or death dont occur consult your doctor immediatly
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have no idea why you guys are trying to blow this off... The fact is that in the long term (that is later in life, not after a few years) a high intake of mercury will almost without doubt affect you. Knowing that, do what you want. But making it seem as if it isn't an issue is denial.

Note that this refers to albacore tuna. Chunk light does have significantly less mercury content then other varieties. Also tuna isn't the only culrprit. In general it's a good idea to watch your intake of any large seafish (smaller ones usually have very low traces of mercury).

Kjansen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kjansen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mcFreid View Post
    I have no idea why you guys are trying to blow this off... The fact is that in the long term (that is later in life, not after a few years) a high intake of mercury will almost without doubt affect you. Knowing that, do what you want. But making it seem as if it isn't an issue is denial.

Note that this refers to albacore tuna. Chunk light does have significantly less mercury content then other varieties. Also tuna isn't the only culrprit. In general it's a good idea to watch your intake of any large seafish (smaller ones usually have very low traces of mercury).
    Mercury in dental fillings is deemed safe though...?
    Im sure there are some fresh water rivers and streams that have worse than trace amounts of mercury....
    Drinking water also has trace amounts of Lead, Medications and other harmful things.. Maybe you should stop drinking water as well.

Sanchioni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sanchioni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sanchioni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sanchioni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Damn and the last 4 months I've ate a can everyday, I hope it didn't make me roterdid.

mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcFreid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The amount of mercury in dental filings is very low and cannot be compared to a daily intake of similiar amounts.

Fresh water versus salt water has nothing to do with the mercury content. The biggest fish are generally found in the ocean, not in fresh water streams and rivers. The reason size matters is because of a compounding affect where the tiny amount of mercury in smaller fish gets consumed by the predator bigger fish and so on higher and higher up the food chain so that the biggest fish of all usually have the highest amount of mercury.

Drinking water can have lead, but that is usually only in certain cases such as having water sit for a long time in pipes. Also the amount of lead is again probably not something to fret over (though it is a good idea to have your water tested periodically just in case).

The point is that in moderation you shouldn't even think about it. But there is reason to at least be somewhat concerned if you are consuming copious amounts of albacore tuna, swordfish, etc.. on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Kjansen View Post
    Im sure there are some fresh water rivers and streams that have worse than trace amounts of mercury....
    Drinking water also has trace amounts of Lead, Medications and other harmful things.. Maybe you should stop drinking water as well.
    Fail

tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabasco.sauce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kjansen View Post
    Mercury fillings are not deemed safe, that's why its generally recommended that you replace them with other materials..
    The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Selenium and a little chelation therapy will take care of your little problems.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShogunMarcus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like to wash down my tuna sandwiches with thermometer fluid.

Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000) Ruz4life is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ryanmcd View Post
    Unless you are 6 pounds or pregant eat a can a day, I have for about 6 months now with 0 issues.
    Now theres a good long term study... lol

Kjansen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kjansen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tabasco.sauce View Post
    Mercury fillings are not deemed safe, that's why its generally recommended that you replace them with other materials..
    I can't post links because my count is under 30, but the FDA with the last few days says the fillings are harmless.
    I understand they are trace amounts but there are toxic trace amouts of anything in everything.

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    sodium chloride and a little chloriform therapy will take care of your little problems.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000) moto46 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dont really like tuna much, so i avoid it anyway. I prefer sardines & kippers smoked salmon.
    Member of leaf nation
    2010 MENS HOCKEY GOLD MEDAL WINNERS 2014 coming soon

Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel like people are taking this news very well considering the dangers.

What about other fish like salmon, tilapia, cod and haddock. Also I have frozen tuna filets, not the canned kind, that I Cook up. Do these tuna have mercury in them?
    Neg "Neat" posts on sight. *******s.

Generally just go by how big the fish is. The fish you listed are relatively small and not an issue.

For a detailed resource here's the FDA's chart: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P.../ucm115644.htm

Anything greater than 0.3 or so I would begin to watch out for on a regular basis (no need to restrict yourself completely though).

is on that pizza diet bodydropcris's Avatar
    bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ShogunMarcus View Post
    I like to wash down my tuna sandwiches with thermometer fluid.

i actually want mercury poisoning, so after the mercury/tuna scare, ive been topping mine with the contents of a thermometer...

but seriously, all you youngsters worrying about stuff like this need to wait for your balls to drop before you eat like a man....

Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Codo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    WEll I am in the clear. Tilapia taste so much better than tuna anyways, and is overflowing with protein. heat the sucker up in a pan with a tblsp of your favorate salsa for 6 minutes and you're golden!
    Neg "Neat" posts on sight. *******s.

Registered User ptflyforatallguy's Avatar
    ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptflyforatallguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BredFromFire View Post
    We all know tuna is one of the best foods for anyone looking to get bigger and stronger, but seriously could it be dangerous to eat too much of it?

Mercury can be found in almost all kinds of fish... but tuna has more of it than most other kinds and can prove to be a problem in high doses. Yeah, its mercury, the stuff from the thermometers we were all told not to touch as kids.

Take a good look at this article:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/5679.html

As well as this calculator which is based off of what the FDA deams to be dangerous exposure levels based off size and gender.

http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator

I know a lot of guys involved in strength training have a lot of tuna in their diets due to its high amount of protein, some even have diets almost entirely of tuna.

I just wanted to bring this potential health threat out there. I've been doing some research and mercury poisoning from fish is extremely legitimate and it shocked me to find out that someone my size (145 pounds) should not excede more than 3 fourths of a can of tuna (4.5 ounces) PER WEEK.
    yep...... thats how i ended up with mad hatters syndrome weighing only 145 and shrinking to 5'8" then i started posting ridiculous threds but since I've stopped i regained my weight and height (stopped posting stupid threds that is, i still eat a **** load of tuna)
    Every facet of our lives are affected by the mechanism through which we negotiate the direction of our existence. Accounting for as many variables as possible we can engender an outcome that is favorable to our desires. Be the master of your reality or fall inept to the wayside. - "Benjamin Monson"