Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 207 :: How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

For the week of: July 29 - August 4
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protein is essential for a bodybuilder and/or athlete to meet their fitness goals. However, the average recommended protein intake can differ depending on who you ask.

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume daily?

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume in one sitting?

What is the best balance of getting protein from food and supplements?

BONUS QUESTION: How much protein do you consume? Does your intake ever change, or do you keep it consistent throughout the year?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein!

Every bodybuilder needs different amounts of protein depending on body type. what is your job? how much and how often do you train?
    Protein is the king of all supplements and vitamins, your body will not grow or mantain weight without it period!
    As far as how much start with 1 and 1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight that you weigh. chart that for thirty days and see if you have grown stronger and bigger, stronger and fatter or lost weight and gotten weaker and adjust calorie intake and protein as your body changes.
    Lets make it simple its not Rocket science. feed your body good clean food on a regular basis try not to go hungry or overeat. keep protein high and carbs and fat clean.
    being consistent is the key to it all.
    I eat between 30 and 80 grams of protein per sitting. and anywhere from 250 to 400 grams per day.
    it is a constantly changing thing and it gauged by my size, hardness, energy and bodyfat levels
    enough said
    What would you do in your life if you knew you could not fail?
    Last edited by UCIMTHEROCK; 07-30-2009 at 12:45 PM.

McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

The Protein Dilemma

The hard working athlete should get 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle mass. Therefore if your 200lbs and 10 % body fat you?ll have 180lbs of lean muscle mass and should aim for 180 to 250 grams of protein per day. That being said another way to calculate your protein intake is by the percentage of your daily caloric intake. A minimum of 20% of your calories should be from protein and a maximum of 50%. Most aim for around 35% protein 40% carbohydrate and the 25% fat.

If you were consuming 200 grams of protein per day distributed over 6 meals and 1 pre and 1 post workout shake or meal then you would need to have 25 grams of protein in each meal or shake to get the 200 grams. Some prefer to have more protein around the time of their workout, in the morning and before bed. So one way to divi it up would be to have 30 gram in the morning, before and after your workout, and before bed this leaves you with 80 grams to spread out over the other 4 meals. It is best to have some protein with every meal, it will help to keep you anabolic and prevent hunger cravings.

Morning 30 grams
    Pre Workouts 30 grams
    Post Workout 30 grams
    Before Bed 30 grams

4 x Other Meals 20 grams each

Protein total 200 grams

Other Protein Sources?

It is important to note that protein doesn?t only come from meats, dairy, and supplements. You also get protein from grains, fruits and vegetables. You should be looking for complete protein sources; these contain all the essential amino acids. Some examples are, quinoa, buckwheat, hempseed, and of course meats, poultry and fish. Another way to get complete proteins is by mixing to foods such as rice and beans, which together provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids. However when you seeking protein from sources other than animals it should be noted that many of these foods are high in carbohydrates (rice and lentils) and fats (nuts and seeds) relative to their protein content.

Its best to get as much of you protein from regular food as possible because you?ll get the nutrients provided with foods such as chicken, fish, beef or other meats. That being said pre and post workout is the best time to use your supplements. You need something fast releasing and accessible make those whey powder shakes a great option. At other time when your on the run and don?t have time for a health protein serving from food then look to the supplements for meal replacements and other shakes. Most important of all is to make sure you don?t go more than 2 to 3 hours with out a meal that includes a quality protein source.

BONUS QUESTION: How much protein do you consume? Does your intake ever change, or do you keep it consistent throughout the year?

I get about 320 grams of protein a day. Yes that?s way more than I need. I?m only a 165lbs (morning weight), but that?s 35% of caloric intake. When you?re consuming over 4000 calories per day that?s just what it turns out to be. Sure it goes up and down from day to day but for the most part it stays around that area.

icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't think of how much protein you need in terms of how many grams per pound of bodyweight because that might lead to a number that isn't necessarily ideal for your weight loss or weight gain goals. Think instead of what percentage of your daily calories you want from protein, carbs, and fat (based on your fat loss or muscle gaining goals). If I want to have 30% of my diet coming from protein and I want to gain muscle mass, I will be eating about 3600 calories per day, so I will be eating about 270g of protein per day. By calculating your daily protein intake based on your overall macronutrient profile you choose for yourself, you can set an ideal proportion for protein rather than an arbitrary number that might not have you losing or gaining weight like you want.

example mass gaining diet for me:
    3600 calories (50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat)
    protein = 4 calories per gram... 270g protein
    carbs = 4 calories per gram... 450 g carbs
    fat = 9 calories per gram... 80g fat

example fat loss diet for me:
    2500 calories (40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat)
    protein = 250g
    carbs = 250g
    fat = about 55g fat

darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkgift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not going to spout off things that I've read online or in books like it seems most of these people are doing. Over the course of my training I have gained really fast and lost really fast. One summer I lost 20 pounds of muscle from not eating and had to earn it all back, which I have gained 15 pounds of to return me to close to where I was. I decided this time around to experiment with protein intake. When I started working out I used no protein supplements, getting all my protein from food. I was getting about 100g a day at 138 pounds. I gained a lot of muscle using this amount of protein but I hit a point where I was stagnant for a while. I began to take my body-weight in protein and this helped to break my plateau. Due to my experience I believe that if you want to gain the maximum amount of muscle you should take in at least 1g per pound of body-weight.

Undermine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on body type and your goal. Alot of folks talk 1gr protein per lb of body weight. I get fat as hell doing that. Protein calories are still calories that can go to fat if you eat too much.

Now an ecto body type may need all that. Those natually skinny guys also have a hard time packing on muscle. Their tradeoff is that they typically won't carry too much bf.

But I'm an endo. Which means I get fat easy. It also means I gain muscle easy and I also do not loose the muscle easily. I can limit my protein intake and still gain (or at least maintain) muscle.

How much protein? Somewhere between a little and alot. It's subject to yout body type and your goal.

ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000)

Protein is absolutely needed for every bodybuilder. Protein is made up of Amino Acids and is the building block for muscle. A bodybuilder must make sure that he has a good amount of protein in his diet.

A bodybuilder must consume at least 1g of protein per lean body mass. Your lean body mass can be calculated by using your weight and body fat percentage. For example, if you're 15% body fat and you weigh 200 pounds, you have 30 pounds of body fat, and 170 pounds of lean body mass. This means you must consume at least 1g of protein per day.

But what is the maximum you might ask? The maximum all depends on your caloric needs, which is how much energy your body needs. If you're eating 2,000 calories per day and you are on a 40/40/20 diet, which means 40% of your calories come from Protein, 40% come from Carbohydrates, and 20% come from Fats, then you will need 200 grams of Protein. This is fine for a 180 pound man. You do always want to make sure that you're not consuming more than 2 grams of protein per lean body mass. This extra Protein will put more pressure on your kidneys and the kidney's will have a hard time processing this protein. Protein also has calories, and calories that are not used will be converted and stored as fat. There is no reason to be consuming 400 grams of Protein unless you weigh well over 200 pounds.

This is why you must stay away from very high Protein diets like the 40/40/20 diet if you're consuming 3,500 calories or more. To prove it to you, if you're dirty bulking and taking in 4,000 calories per day, that is 400 astonishing grams of Protein on a 40/40/20 diet. Instead, try the 50/30/20 diet. Most people stick with the 50/30/20 diet, which is a great diet for beginners and intermediates who don't know how their body responds to carbohydrates and fats yet. If you weigh 160 pounds like me, and you have a 15% body fat, you would want to get at least 134 grams of Protein each day according to the 50/30/20. Do not go lower then this. Your maximum will be around 268 grams of Protein each day. Do not go higher then this. I would recommend around 1.5 grams of Protein per pound of lean body mass on workout days. You may take 1.0 grams of Protein per lean body mass on rest days. So if you're 160 pounds with 15% body fat, 170 - 180 grams of Protein on workout days should be enough for you, past 200 grams is pushing it. This is the formula that you can use to calculate your Protein needs:

Lean Body Mass x 1.0 - 1.5 = Amount of Protein you should consume in grams

For example, if you have 150 pounds of lean body mass, you should consume 150 - 225 grams of Protein each day. No more and no less. If you have 130 pounds of lean body mass, you should consume 130 - 195 grams of Protein each day, no more and no less.

A serious bodybuilder will try to consume around 5-7 meals a day. Many professionals say that they consume 6 meals a day themselves, and many doctors recommend this to supply your body with a steady amount of nutrients, instead of stuffing yourself twice a day and then sitting on your butt watching T.V. You want to spread your protein around in these six meals. You should not drink 4 Whey shakes and 8 oz of steak for dinner and get over 150 grams of Protein in that meal, just because you didn't eat any Protein for the whole day. A good bodybuilder knows that he should supply his muscles with a steady stream of Protein to grow, not starve his muscles and then pack so much Protein in his body in one sitting. This formula is usually used to count how much grams of Protein a bodybuilder should consume in one sitting:

Daily Protein Needs / Meals eaten each day = Amount of Protein needed for each meal

So for instance, if you need 180 grams of Protein each day and you are eating the recommended 6 meals per day, you will need to calculate 180/6. That comes out to 30 grams of Protein per meal. A sample meal plan that will get you 30 grams of Protein each meal on average goes as such:

Meal 1: 3 Egg Whites and 1 Whole Egg (24 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Oatmeal or Brown Bread)
    Total Protein: 26 - 32 grams of Protein

Meal 2: 3 Glasses of Non-Fat or Low-Fat Milk (24 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Pancakes or Waffles)
    Total Protein: 28 - 32 grams of Protein

Meal 3: 4 ounces of Grilled Chicken Breast (30 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Vegetables and Brown Bread)
    Total Protein: 30 - 32 grams of Protein

Workout

Meal 4: Serving of Whey Protein Isolate mixed with water (25 grams of Protein)
    Food with good Fats which may contain Protein (ex: Peanut Butter)
    Total Protein: 31 - 37 grams of Protein

Meal 5: 4 ounces of lean Sirloin Steak (30 grams of Protein)
    Food with good Fats which may contain Protein (ex: Olive Oil)
    Total Protein: 30 grams of Protein

Meal 6: Scoop of Casein Protein mixed with water (25 grams of Protein)

(Disclaimer: Your caloric and carbohydrate and fat needs may be different then these foods listed)

I've seen teenagers take almost all of their Protein from Whey Protein shakes. Please don't tell anybody that you take 10 servings of Whey each day, especially if they're experienced, or you will get laughed at. What a bodybuilder should do is make sure they get no more then 40% of your Protein from shakes. You're missing out on all the nutrients you can get from real food if you do take many servings of Protein from supplements. Some people don't even need supplements, but they are cheaper compared to buying steak everyday, so most of us buy things like Whey or Casein Protein. Never overdo it though. You want to be eating eggs, beef, chicken, fish, and drinking milk.

Only a vegetarian can take a lot (more then 4) servings of Protein supplements each day since they will not be eating the foods I listed above. If you do eat meat, you will need to have at least 100 grams of Protein from these natural sources, and the rest can be consumed by supplements. A vegetarian can get 100 - 125 grams of Protein from supplements. The rest should be consumed from foods like soybeans and tofu. Remember - Don't overdo it on those shakes!

I personally consume 150 grams to 200 grams of Protein each day on workouts. Sometimes I do not even consume supplements so it stays around 140 - 160 grams on those days. My protein intake only changes on rest days, where I may consume a few grams less, but not a lot less then my workout days. I eat 6 meals a day so I have 25 - 30 grams of Protein for each of those meals. I keep my Protein intake consistent throughout the year compared to my weight gains or losses. I make sure that if I gained muscle mass, I take more protein. I will not be taking the same amount of protein when I grow to 200 pounds, because then I'll need more. I do not consume a less amount of protein when I'm cutting. I still stick to the 1g - 1.5g rule.
    Last edited by ZionNYC; 08-01-2009 at 02:36 PM.

nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic_hendy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post ..

I have found that I gain best when I take in 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight so for me I've been taking in 240-320 grams of protein a day and I also recommended this to a friend and he gained about 12 lbs of solid muscle in about a month and a half..

So, by just us two.. I'd say a good range for protein would be 1-2 grams per lb of bodyweight.

Ex: 200 lb man would take in anywhere from 200-400 grams.. preferably 300-320 grams for solid gains
    Glory Glory Man United!!

McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) McGillLifter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    YOU don't flush protein out with your pee. Any excess protein you consume does not get stored either. Excess protein is converted into glucose and then burned for energy or stored as fat.

i feel that it is important i tell you that if you have protein in your urine that is a sign of a Urinary track infection. The human body does not urinate protein. Excess protein like excess calories is converted to fat.

ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000) ZionNYC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by McGillLifter View Post
    i feel that it is important i tell you that if you have protein in your urine that is a sign of a Urinary track infection. The human body does not urinate protein. Excess protein like excess calories is converted to fat.
    True. You may "pee out" Protein if you have kidney problems. People with bad kidney's are kind of screwed in bodybuilding. They can't have too much Protein and they can't have Creatine.

It's absolute false information if an article on this site would say we "pee" out protein.
    Last edited by ZionNYC; 08-01-2009 at 01:32 PM.

icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consumer?

Don't think of how much protein you need in terms of how many grams per pound of bodyweight because that might lead to a number that isn't necessarily ideal for your weight loss or weight gain goals. Think instead of what percentage of your daily calories you want from protein, carbs, and fat (based on your fat loss or muscle gaining goals). If I want to have 30% of my diet coming from protein and I want to gain muscle mass, I will be eating about 3600 calories per day, so I will be eating about 270g of protein per day. By calculating your daily protein intake based on your overall macronutrient profile you choose for yourself, you can set an ideal proportion for protein rather than an arbitrary number that might not have you losing or gaining weight like you want.

example mass gaining diet for me:
    3600 calories (50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat)
    protein = 4 calories per gram... 270g protein
    carbs = 4 calories per gram... 450 g carbs
    fat = 9 calories per gram... 80g fat

example fat loss diet for me:
    2500 calories (40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat)
    protein = 250g
    carbs = 250g
    fat = about 55g fat

There's no set rule for how much protein you should have in one sitting. Decide how many meals you can have per day based on your calorie intake and the amount of time you have to eat. How ever many meals you have, divide your allotted protein intake by the number of meals to get a rough estimate of how much protein you should have per meal. If you are someone who limits carbs and calories at night, your meals might be a bit smaller and won't have as much protein because you won't have the extra carb source that will add extra protein and calories to your diet (e.g. carb-rich food sources like oats and rice also have a decent amount of protein per serving).

People often prefer whey protein supplements for post-workout nutrition. Often times people opt to have whey pre-workout and casein protein powder before bed as well. Try to limit protein supplements as much as possible so you can get nutrition from whole foods instead (e.g. eat cottage cheese before bed instead of casein protein powder). Other than around workout times, try using protein supplements only when you're in a rush and don't have access to better food alternatives.

As I showed in my example, I consume about 230-280g of protein in a day depending partly on whether I'm bulking or cutting and also whether life constraints prevent me from having any extra food at any given point. From a percentage standpoint, I might have a higher percentage of protein in my overall diet when I'm cutting and bulking, but the amount is in the same ballpark.

shaun norateen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein

stop worrying about it. does protein BUILD MUSCLE. NO. they REPAIR the damage you do to your muslces in the gym and repair your body due to everyday activity. who cares if you have 400-500 a day... stop worrying how much you consume.. worry about how hard you work out. heavy weights, high intensity, build bigger muscles

Protein is absolutely needed for every bodybuilder. Protein is made up of Amino Acids and is the building block for muscle. A bodybuilder must make sure that he has a good amount of protein in his diet.

A bodybuilder must consume at least 1g of protein per lean body mass. Your lean body mass can be calculated by using your weight and body fat percentage. For example, if you're 15% body fat and you weigh 200 pounds, you have 30 pounds of body fat, and 170 pounds of lean body mass. This means you must consume at least 170g of protein per day.

But what is the maximum you might ask? The maximum all depends on your caloric needs, which is how much energy your body needs. If you're eating 2,000 calories per day and you are on a 40/40/20 diet, which means 40% of your calories come from Protein, 40% come from Carbohydrates, and 20% come from Fats, then you will need 200 grams of Protein. This is fine for a 180 pound man. You do always want to make sure that you're not consuming more than 2 grams of protein per lean body mass. This extra Protein will put more pressure on your kidneys and the kidney's will have a hard time processing this protein. Protein also has calories, and calories that are not used will be converted and stored as fat. There is no reason to be consuming 400 grams of Protein unless you weigh well over 200 pounds.

This is why you must stay away from very high Protein diets like the 40/40/20 diet if you're consuming 3,500 calories or more. To prove it to you, if you're dirty bulking and taking in 4,000 calories per day, that is 400 astonishing grams of Protein on a 40/40/20 diet. Instead, try the 50/30/20 diet. Most people stick with the 50/30/20 diet, which is a great diet for beginners and intermediates who don't know how their body responds to carbohydrates and fats yet. If you weigh 160 pounds like me, and you have a 15% body fat, you would want to get at least 134 grams of Protein each day according to the 50/30/20. Do not go lower then this. Your maximum will be around 268 grams of Protein each day. Do not go higher then this. I would recommend around 1.5 grams of Protein per pound of lean body mass on workout days. You may take 1.0 grams of Protein per lean body mass on rest days. So if you're 160 pounds with 15% body fat, 170 - 180 grams of Protein on workout days should be enough for you, going past 200 grams is pushing it. This is the formula that you can use to calculate your Protein needs:

Lean Body Mass x 1.0 - 1.5 = Amount of Protein you should consume in grams

For example, if you have 150 pounds of lean body mass, you should consume 150 - 225 grams of Protein each day. No more and no less. If you have 130 pounds of lean body mass, you should consume 130 - 195 grams of Protein each day, no more and no less.

A serious bodybuilder will try to consume around 5-7 meals a day. Many professionals say that they consume 6 meals a day themselves, and many doctors recommend this to supply your body with a steady amount of nutrients, instead of stuffing yourself twice a day and then sitting on your butt watching T.V. You want to spread your protein around in these six meals. You should not drink 4 Whey shakes and 8 oz of steak for dinner and get over 150 grams of Protein in that meal, just because you didn't eat any Protein for the whole day. A good bodybuilder knows that he should supply his muscles with a steady stream of Protein to grow, not starve his muscles and then pack so much Protein in his body in one sitting. This formula is usually used to count how much grams of Protein a bodybuilder should consume in one sitting:

Daily Protein Needs / Meals eaten each day = Amount of Protein needed for each meal

So for instance, if you need 180 grams of Protein each day and you are eating the recommended 6 meals per day, you will need to calculate 180/6. That comes out to 30 grams of Protein per meal. A sample meal plan that will get you 30 grams of Protein each meal on average goes as such:

Meal 1: 3 Egg Whites and 1 Whole Egg (24 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Oatmeal or Brown Bread)
    Total Protein: 26 - 32 grams of Protein

Meal 2: 3 Glasses of Non-Fat or Low-Fat Milk (24 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Pancakes or Waffles)
    Total Protein: 28 - 32 grams of Protein

Meal 3: 4 ounces of Grilled Chicken Breast (30 grams of Protein)
    Food with Carbohydrates which may contain Protein (ex: Vegetables and Brown Bread)
    Total Protein: 30 - 32 grams of Protein

Workout

Meal 4: Serving of Whey Protein Isolate mixed with water (25 grams of Protein)

Meal 5: 4 ounces of lean Sirloin Steak (30 grams of Protein)
    Food with good Fats which may contain Protein (ex: Olive Oil)
    Total Protein: 30 grams of Protein

Meal 6: Scoop of Casein Protein mixed with water (25 grams of Protein)

(Disclaimer: Your caloric and carbohydrate and fat needs may be different then these foods listed)

I've seen teenagers take almost all of their Protein from Whey Protein shakes. Please don't tell anybody that you take 10 servings of Whey each day, especially if they're experienced, or you will get laughed at. What a bodybuilder should do is make sure they get no more then 40% of your Protein from shakes. You're missing out on all the nutrients you can get from real food if you do take many servings of Protein from supplements. Some people don't even need supplements, but they are cheaper compared to buying steak everyday, so most of us buy things like Whey or Casein Protein. Never overdo it though. You want to be eating eggs, beef, chicken, fish, and drinking milk.

Only a vegetarian can take a lot (more then 4) servings of Protein supplements each day since they will not be eating the foods I listed above. If you do eat meat, you will need to have at least 100 grams of Protein from these natural sources, and the rest can be consumed by supplements. A vegetarian can get 100 - 125 grams of Protein from supplements. The rest should be consumed from foods like soybeans and tofu. Remember - Don't overdo it on those shakes!

I personally consume 150 grams to 200 grams of Protein each day on workouts. Sometimes I do not even consume supplements so it stays around 140 - 160 grams on those days. My protein intake only changes on rest days, where I may consume a few grams less, but not a lot less then my workout days. I eat 6 meals a day so I have 25 - 30 grams of Protein for each of those meals. I keep my Protein intake consistent throughout the year compared to my weight gains or losses. I make sure that if I gained muscle mass, I take more protein. I will not be taking the same amount of protein when I grow to 200 pounds, because then I'll need more. I do not consume a less amount of protein when I'm cutting. I still stick to the 1g - 1.5g rule.
    Last edited by ZionNYC; 08-03-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    --**Strong ass Jew crew**--

Rising AAS guru.

Ignore my other post and use this final draft above this post ^^^^^

I had a typo and I couldn't edit it so I corrected it here by posting it again without the typo.

Rising AAS guru.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    awesome topic that should be discussed more!

tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tuxedoman34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

A bodybuilder should consume at the minimum 1.5 grams of protein per body pound. The reason is, is that bodybuilders must eat a surplus of calories and macro nutrients to support muscle growth by feeding the muscle tissue with extra protein and amino acids in the blood stream on days and days after long and intense weight lifting sessions.

Bodybuilders should eat their daily caloric diet in at least 6 equal portioned meals to help regulate a fast metabolism and ease to reach the caloric goal. The amount of protein needed for the bodybuilder for the day must be divided by the number of meals the bodybuilder decides to split his/her caloric needs into.

Getting protein from food like meats is definitely the best way to get protein to support muscle growth for hours. Getting protein from supplements is great after workouts for immediate support and recovery in the targeted muscles of the recent workout. Other than that protein from supplements should be consumed in emergencies where you cannot get whole food sources. The best balance of getting protein from food and supplements is about 70:30.

Since I am 130lbs currently and workout hard and frequently, I consume about 200 grams of protein daily. My intake changes when I gain more lean mass.

humbaba621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humbaba621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humbaba621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humbaba621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Protein is essential for a bodybuilder and/or athlete to meet their fitness goals. However, the average recommended protein intake can differ depending on who you ask.

Protein is a necessity for gaining muscle mass. In order to have your muscles grow back more effectively after working out, a bodybuilder should consume more protein than the average Joe.

Daily, a bodybuilder should shoot for 1-1.5g per lb bodyweight per day. A lot of weightlifting enthusiasts will shoot for higher doses of protein, but this is typically what has given me the greatest gains. The biggest problem with consuming large quantities of protein is overworking your liver. I am interested in nutrition as well as gaining mass, so I would prefer to have a healthy liver.

Bodybuilders on juice typically consume MUCH greater amounts of protein. This is because steroids allow your body to rapidly recover, and provide the opportunity to exercise much heavier and more often, which leads to the necessity of greater amounts of protein. If you want to get big, do not follow the routines of people on juice, you will not be able to go at their speed and are at a high risk for injury!

Another important factor in the daily consumption of protein is the TIME at which you take the protein. Taking it at the wrong time is a waste, for your health and your wallet. I believe for an amateur or an intermediate builder (not on juice) to consume a meal every 3 hours. This assumes you are lifting around 4-5 days a week. If you are lifting less often, it is not necessary to take 1.5 grams of protein per body weight, more towards 1 g of protein per lb bodyweight.

Now onto another issue: if you consume only protein daily, you will not get any gains!! You must consume nutrients from other types of food, to receive the most gains. If you eat a box of donuts and a protein shake each morning before working out, you are not going to get gains quickly!

Typically bodybuilders will consume slow carbs and protein 30-40 minutes before working out, and a meal directly after working out. This gives the body enough nutrients to fuel your grueling work out! Three more meals throughout the day should be spread out.

I personally never consume more than 50g of protein per one sitting. The amount of protein consumed in one sitting depends what time of day it is for you! Some people like to fuel up on casein at night for it to last through out the night, which can be high amounts of protein. Like I mentioned earlier, consuming a meal every 3 hours is sufficient, so if you are consuming 200 g of protein over 5 meals, 40g of protein per meal is sufficient. It depends on the person, but if a large amount of protein is taken in a single sitting, one's body cannot use all the protein supplied. The extra protein will be converted to glucose and stored as extra fat, and make your liver be overworked.

Only take as much protein supplement as your diet does not provide. If you are 130 lbs, you may be consuming plenty of protein in your diet, and it is not necessary to have additional protein. Always eat food before you decide to buy a supplement! Supplements tend to be more expensive than other sources of food, and they also may have less nutrients.

I consume 230g to 250g per lb of bodyweight, and I am 6'1 200lbs. My intake does not change, because I am not training to be in any types of shows until my late 20s. But I can guarantee everyone's diet will change throughout the course of the year, in order to get variety at the very least.

There are no secrets in bodybuilding: I live by the motto train hard, eat a lot, and sleep! (by eat a lot I do not mean bags of chips)
    There is no magic unless drugs are involved, but everyone should live healthy and strong!
    Train. Eat. Sleep.

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Few matters are as hotly debated as the exact amount of protein bodybuilders need for optimum muscle growth. While the USDA recommends .8 grams per kg (around 3.6g per lb) of bodyweight (1), most strength athletes will argue that this is far from adequate. After all, with an obesity epidemic raging across the country, how much stock can really be put in USDA recommendations? And while bodybuilders will claim that amounts up to two grams per pound of bodyweight are acceptable, one has to consider where this information is coming from as well. Many studies have been funded or sponsored by supplement companies, so any 'fact' that is touted on the internet or in magazines must also be viewed with a certain level of skepticism.

Ultimately, there is no 'one size fits all' solution for protein intake, especially with different levels of experience and different workout routines. However, no one wants to consume LESS protein than is necessary, as protein contains the amino acids that are necessary for building muscle. In addition, merely consuming protein shifts net protein balance in a positive direction and can promote anabolism (2), so bodybuilders will often consume protein as often as possible.

While some prefer to measure protein intake based upon their macronutrient split - the ratio of carbohydrates, protein and fat intake - I don't feel this is the optimal way to determine protein intake. If one relies on this method, the numbers become ridiculous at a certain point. Take, for example, a bodybuilder consuming 4000 calories per day. If this individual was following the common 40/40/20 macronutrient split, he would be consuming 1600 calories, or 400 grams of protein, per day. You don't need a doctorate in nutrition to realize how absurd that amount is. Worse, high protein intake has been linked to kidney problems in some cases, so at that point, one would be attempting to optimize muscle gain at the expense of overall health.

A better way to estimate protein requirements is by calculating it based upon body weight. A conservative estimate is one gram per pound of bodyweight, while on the other end of the spectrum, some experts recommend two grams per pound. Personally, I think 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is a safe compromise. Too much protein will deprive the athlete of the carbohydrates necessary to fuel his performance, as well as the essential fats needed to protect organs and promote proper hormone production.

However, there are some caveats to this. Research has suggested that those taking anabolics may want to up the amount to two grams per pound of bodyweight. Additionally, the 1.5 grams should be high-quality protein - preferably complete sources, such as meat - rather than lower-quality vegetable protein and incomplete sources (3). Also, in most cases, overshooting your protein requirements should not be a problem, but don't be misled into thinking simply raising protein intake will need to additional muscle mass. There is only so much muscle that can be produced by the body, and force-feeding protein into your veins will not increase this amount. If not used for anabolism, protein will either be converted into glucose for energy, and possibly stored as fat, or excreted.

But beyond the amount needed for muscle building, protein has some benefits. Protein has a very high thermic effect, meaning a lot of effort is required to digest it, so it may boost your metabolism and help you stay lean. Some estimates indicate that up to 30 percent of the calories from protein may be burned in its digestion (4). Additionally, some studies have shown that higher protein diets are related to superior body composition (5).

This is another question that depends on a few factors - protein type and meal frequency. Because different protein sources digest at different rates, you may want to mix the kinds you consume or let the absorption time dictate the amount you consume. Estimates place the absorption of whey isolate at around 8-10 grams per hour, casein isolate at around six grams per hour and egg protein at a little less than 1.5 grams per hour (6). This means that casein and egg will leave amino acids in your blood stream longer than whey. The fast absorption rate of whey is why many recommend using it post-workout; the theory is that it will deliver amino acids to muscles in need of repair as soon as possible. If you have a slow-digesting protein source, you may not need to consume as much protein at one time as it will continue to be absorbed over a longer period.

Meal frequency and amount of meals is also an important consideration. If one is consuming six meals per day and is aiming for 180 grams of protein daily, then 30 grams at each sitting would be appropriate (180/6 = 30). However, one who consumes just three meals per day would find this to be inadequate, as total protein intake for the day would only be 90 grams. If you are going to be going several hours without a meal, consuming up to 50 grams of protein per sitting may be appropriate, as it may be digested by the time your next meal rolls around. But with most bodybuilders consuming meals more frequently, 30 grams may be sufficient. For those eating more than three meals per day, I would not exceed 40 grams per sitting, as you may be wasting valuable money having your protein either excreted or stored as glucose. In addition, keeping protein intake moderate at each meal will leave you room to enjoy side dishes and even dessert - remember that you need carbohydrates and fats for optimal health on top of whatever protein you are consuming.

The best balance is whatever is most convenient for you. While most prefer to consume as much protein from "whole foods," it is important to remember that protein powders - whether they are whey, casein, soy, or egg - are all derived from natural food sources. This makes them comparable to whole food sources, and at times, perhaps better, as they are often fortified with amino acids or EFAs. While many scoff at having multiple servings of a protein supplement each day, there is really nothing wrong with it, unless you are not getting enough nutrients from other foods you are consuming. In their defense, protein powders are very convenient, and because they are derived from different sources, you can choose an appropriate absorption time for your needs - whey is popular for post-workout because it is absorbed quickly, while casein is suggested before bed due to its slow absorption rate. Additionally, the different flavors of protein powders can spice up your diet if you're consuming a lot of tuna and plain chicken breasts. Who wouldn't want to get 30 grams of protein that tasted like a Reese's Cup?

One thing I will warn against, though, is being too reliant on whey in particular. Because it is absorbed so quickly, it won't keep a steady stream of amino acids in your bloodstream, so taking it when you will not be eating for a long time is not a good idea.

I'll be honest - whole protein sources are expensive, so I try to get as much protein as I can without busting my budget. For this reason, I aim for at least 200 grams per day from direct sources, such as meats, cheese and protein powder. I am able to reach this number without a problem, and usually end up consuming between 1.3-1.5 grams per pound of body weight. This is a little on the low side according to most, but as I am in a bulking stage, this leaves a lot of room for carbohydrates and fats to fuel my workouts and help add mass. Generally, I do not exceed 40 grams of protein in a sitting. Because I am busy, I often use protein powders or meal replacement powders, though I do try to get most of my protein from meat.

My intake fluctuates on a daily basis - I don't track every calorie or plan meals days in advance - but it tends to stay around or above the 200-gram mark. If I were cutting or preparing for a show, I would track it more carefully and might increase protein intake to and lower carbohydrates to prevent bloating from too many carbohydrates (as they tend to hold water). While many people choose to cycle carbohydrates, I don't think that protein intake needs to be fluctuated dramatically throughout the year. There is no reason to consume less than you would need to build muscle, and if you are dieting, you'll want to keep protein intake high to maintain muscle mass. Therefore, my protein intake tends to remain pretty consistent throughout the year.

SOURCES:

1. USDA

2. Phillips, Stuart M., et al. Dietary Protein to Support Anabolism with Resistance Exercise in Young Men. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2005; 24(2):134-139

3. BodyRecomposition

4. The Thermic Effect of Food

5. Effect of a High-Protein, Energy-Restricted Diet on Body Composition, Glycemic Control and Lipid Concentrations

6. Body Building Protein Requirements
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

Hirn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Without a doubt this is one of the most discussed topics in the bodybuilding and athletic realms. Loads of information is available on this topic. Unfortunately for those looking for that "gold standard answer", you most likely will end up more confused about how much protein you should be consuming daily than when you first started searching.

So with all these differences in answers, what do you do? I believe that cross referencing the results from various scientific studies is the best way to find true and unbiased answers to this question. Thousands of studies have been conducted on protein intake, looking for that golden answer, and even with all these professional experiments, results still differ, but only very slightly.

For those looking to maximize strength and power, most research shows that you should consume 1.6-1.7g of protein per kilogram kg of bodyweight every day (g/kg/day).

For those looking to maximize size, also known as hypertrophy, most research shows that you should consume 1.8-2.0g/kg/day. Those who consumed more than 2.0g/kg/day showed no greater increase in size compared to those who consumed up to 2.0g/kg/day.

When looking at these results you must consider a few key points:
    1. These recommendations were made based on the results of thousands of individuals who were tested and monitored. This should provide for the comfort of knowing that you probably fit somewhere in that range. However, not everyone is "average" and so there is always that chance that these recommendations are not for you. So how do you make sure you are not depriving your body of the protein it needs to grow? Well, if you don't currently have kidney disease and money is not a concern, I say play it safe and consume slightly more than the recommended (up to 2.5g/kg/day). I feel comfortable saying this because research has shown that excess protein intake is not bad for your liver as long as you don't have an established kidney disease.
    2. NOTE THE UNITS! It is in kg of bodyweight! I believe that this is where some of the very large recommendations you see on random bodybuilding websites and forums arise from. You often see 2-3g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day (g/lbs/day). Someone may have seen the correct number, but failed to read the units, but hey, don't feel bad if that was you because I guarantee you are not the only one (including myself when I first started)? Apparently the scientists think we use metric units now? To convert your weight to kg follow this equation:

Bodyweight in kg = (bodyweight in lbs) x (0.45359237)

So using myself as an example,
    - Bodyweight in lbs = 175 pounds
    - Bodyweight in kg = 79kg
    - Goal = hypertrophy (1.6-2.5 g/kg/day)
    - Daily Recommended Protein = 142-198g

You should now know how many grams of protein you need to consume every day, so the next step is breaking it down further and looking at how much protein you should consume for each meal. Most health experts and dieticians agree that 4-7 "smaller" meals should be consumed daily for best results in improving strength, power, and lean mass. Having more small meals per day rather than a couple huge meals per day is based heavily on the concept of nitrogen balance. Nitrogen balance is simply the amount of nitrogen consumed (N in) as compared with the amount of nitrogen excreted (N out) in a given period of time. Protein provides this nitrogen. So what is the significance of this?

- Nitrogen Equilibrium (N in = N out)
    -Healthy adult
    - Negative Nitrogen Balance (N in < N out)
    -Proteins are broken down for energy
    - Positive Nitrogen Balance (N in > N out)
    -Allows for growth and repair

Similar to blood glucose levels rising after consuming carbohydrates, after consuming protein the concentration of nitrogen in your body increases. The levels of nitrogen slowly drop following your meal and so by eating frequently you can ensure you are maintaining a positive nitrogen balance and therefore an environment for your body that promotes growth and repair!

To reach your recommended amount of protein while maintaining a positive nitrogen balance, consume your protein in equal amounts over all your meals. Once again using me as an example (considering I eat 6 meals/day), I would consume 24-33g of protein at each meal. These numbers would be smaller or larger depending on if I ate more or fewer meals, respectively.

Sample 1-Day Meal Plan
    Meal 1:
    o 3 egg whites
    o 1 whole egg
    o 1/2 cup instant oats in water
    Total = 30g protein

Meal 2:
    o 1 scoop whey protein in water
    o 1 Tbs peanut butter
    o 1 sweet potato
    Total = 25g protein

Meal 3:
    o 2.5 oz of tuna on whole wheat bread
    o 2 cup veggies
    o Yogurt
    Total = 31g protein

Meal 4 (pre-workout):
    o 1/2 cup instant oats in water
    o 1 scoop whey protein mixed into oats
    o 1/4 cup almonds
    Total = 33g protein

Meal 5 (post-workout):
    o 1 scoop whey protein
    o 1 cup chocolate milk
    Total = 30g protein

Meal 6:
    o 4 oz chicken breast
    o 1 tbs olive oil (for cooking chicken)
    o 1/2 cup brown rice
    o 2 cups veggies
    o 1 cup skim milk
    Total = 33g protein

Protein Totals:
    -Total protein = 182g
    -Protein from supplements = 44g

Once again this is a question that arises often with answers all over the board. Some individuals believe that all protein you consume should come from whole foods, and that protein supplements are a complete waste of money.

Their main argument against protein supplements is that they ONLY supply amino acids to the body, while nature's protein sources such as lean meat, milk, eggs, and legumes can supply all these amino acids along with many other nutrients needed to grow. This point is very legitimate as you WILL NOT get stronger or bigger if you do not eat food that provides adequate energy or that is lacking other nutrients, such as fats, carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins, needed to support muscle growth.

However, there are quite a few arguments that you can make against those who say protein supplementation is a waste of your money:

Economical
    First of all, it's the exact opposite of a waste of money. You are able to get more grams of protein per dollar than if you would go out and buy a steak or a chicken breast. Protein powder is therefore a very economical way to allow bodybuilders to get a sufficient amount of protein. This is especially great for the teens and younger bodybuilders who are running on a very low income.

Ease of Protein Powder
    Take a scoop. Pour into liquid. Shake. Drink! Boom your nitrogen balance is back to positive and your ready to grow!

Research Shows Benefits
    Many studies have been conducted looking at the effects of whey protein supplementation following resistance training and almost all have shown that supplementing with whey protein post-workout increases strength and size significantly more than not consuming whey protein. Even better results were shown when the whey protein was consumed along with a simple carbohydrate source such as maltodextrin or dextrose.

Avoid High Amounts of Saturated Fats
    Yes, fat is necessary in everyone's diet, but too much fat, especially saturated fats can be very unhealthy and lead to weight gain and many other complications. Many whole-food sources of protein such as steak and eggs are high in saturated fats and cholesterol. Protein powder allows for you to get your recommended amount of protein without consuming excess amounts of fat and calories.

Vegetarians
    For those who are vegetarians, protein powders are a great way to make sure they get enough high quality protein every day. There are animal proteins such as steak, fish, and eggs and then there are plant proteins such as legumes and grains. Consuming the amount of protein a bodybuilder requires can be a tough mark to reach when only eating plant protein sources, and so protein powder is a convenient and easy way to help reach your recommended intake on a vegetarian diet.

To conclude this section, I say that if you have the money and time to consume all your protein from whole-foods, then go for it! I would still recommend taking a protein shake with a carbohydrate source post workout. If you cannot consume your recommended amount of protein from whole-foods, then supplementing with a protein powder is a must. However, make sure you put in an effort to include as many whole-food sources of protein as possible!

Previously I had been taking in ONLY about 100g of protein per day. I was worried about how many calories I was eating and not gaining weight. Three months ago I started consuming between 150-180g of protein on lifting and non-lifting days, and I have seen the best results of my weightlifting career. I have been experiences increases in my strength, and my physique has improved IMMENSELY!

My protein consumption is made up of 60g from whey protein supplement and the rest primarily from clean sources such as chicken, tuna, eggs, legumes, grains, peanut butter, and almonds.

I plan to keep this intake consistent throughout the year and only alter it when my bodyweight changes.
    Last edited by Hirn; 08-04-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Some numbers didn't show correctly.
    Do it cause you love it

theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Protein is essential for a bodybuilder and/or athlete to meet their fitness goals. However, the average recommended protein intake can differ depending on who you ask. A bodybuilder requires significantly more protein than the average person who is not engaged in strenuous weight training. The RDA for males 25 and older is a meager 63 grams of protein per day. No bodybuilder could ever build, let alone maintain, a substantial amount of muscle with so little protein.

The general consensus among experts is that bodybuilders need a minimum of 1.5-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. There are some who argue for upwards of 3g per pound of bodyweight, but most everyone agrees that the 1.5-2g range is the minimum amount for any bodybuilder who is involved in training at a level of high intensity. Regardless of what type of diet you follow, and how many carbohydrates you consume, or how many calories you take in, there is no substitute for consuming enough protein.

The harder you train the more protein you need, and if this describes you, then it would be advisable to ensure that your diet meets the guideline of 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight.

Despite the very low RDA, consuming a high amount of protein may not be as uncommon as one might think. Some anthropologists believe that paleolithic humans had diets with as much as 35% of their food consumption coming from protein. In fact, there are several new diet books that advocate a high protein diet that is more in line with our paleolithic ancestors.

Over the years, this topic has been the source of much debate within the bodybuilding and nutrition community. The truth is that we have very little scientific information regarding the exact amount of protein the body can utilize at one time. Many argue that 55-60g of protein at one sitting is the maximum one would want to consume. There is, however, no real research to substrantiate this claim. There are times, however, when the body may require (and be able to use) more protein than other times of the day. For example, following an intense two hour training session with heavy weights, there would be a greater need for the body to have a significant amount of protein. Optimally, this protein consumption would come from a variety of sources that provide a more sustained release that includes fast and slow digesting protein. In this post workout scenario, a protein shake composed of hydrolyzed whey protein isolate (fast digesting) and casein (slow digesting) might be a better choice when consuming a large amount at one sitting.

Prior to going to sleep is another time when higher amounts of protein might be needed. In this case, a strictly slow digesting protein (like casein) might be the best option. 50-60g of casein mixed with 8-12oz. of milk will provide the body with a sustained release of amino acids throughout the night, which in turn reduces the catabolism that results from being in fasted state for eight hours or more.

Ultimately, there is no precise hard-and-fast rule regarding how much protein to consume at any given time.

Supplementary protein is more a form of food than a dietary supplement. The amount that a bodybuilder consumes is relative to how much they are able to consume from other sources such as meat, dairy, and eggs. Some bodybuilders do not have time to prepare six or more meals each day, and thus have to rely on more convenient sources of protein. Egg protein, for example, is considered one of the highest quality protein sources available, and is often regarded as the "gold standard" where protein is concerned. Some do not like eggs, or simply do not care to eat eggs, whether boiled, scrambled, or fried, and may not eat them in very large amounts. However, powdered and liquid egg supplements can be purchased which makes egg protein consumption far more convenient. Likewise, milk proteins are produced as supplements for those who may not wish to drink a gallon of milk per day.

Using protein in a supplement form is really just as effective as eating protein directly from the food source. Your diet as a whole must, of course, be considered carefully, but drinking a protein shake three times per day is not a bad thing as some may argue. Vegetarian and semi-vegetarian athletes will likely rely on a significant amount of protein coming from powdered supplements.

If you can get enough protein from daily food sources then the need for supplementary protein will be minimal, and possibly unnecessary. For most bodybuilders, however, a protein supplement is a staple supplement that should always be available when and if needed.

I keep my protein intake consistent throughout the year regardless of whether I am bulking or cutting. Following the 1.5g per pound of bodyweight guideline, I am able to build muscle while bulking and lose fat when cutting. I prefer to always consume a sufficient amount of protein regardless of my training goals. If you want to build it or maintain it, you have to always provide your body with enough protein to repair muscle damage and stave off catabolism.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

There are three main macro nutrients. Carbohydrates, Lipids and Protein. The first two are used by the body for energy, through different energy paths. The third is used to repair the body. Protein is an important nutrient for the body. It is used to repair anything that occurred though out the day, and is also used for growth. Protein is important for athletes from all sports, but most importantly it's needed for the bodybuilder, in the process of gaining more muscle. In today's sports world, the importance of protein is highly stressed. There are tons of adds and supplements on the market that promise loads of muscle and high protein content. There are also food labels which account the protein in grams and the daily value or percentage of protein. But is this for everyone? Should I follow the percentage or grams? There is a lot of information out there that might be confusing for many people. In the end each person is different and needs different amounts, plus bodybuilder need more than average people right? All of this can be confusing, and many people are left with too much information and no right answer. Well, all of this ends now. In order to meet each unique fitness goal, each bodybuilders protein needs will differ based on a few factors. The sex, weight and activity level are a few. Along with those, off season and contest prep dieting will result in different protein needs. Once the protein needs are determined, protein sources are next. Supplements, whole foods and incomplete sources of protein are all factors that need to be considered when designing the perfect diet with the perfect amount of protein.

If a bodybuilder is in the process of gaining weight and trying to achieve more mass, the formula of 1.5 grams per pound of body weight should be used. For example, a 200lb man will consume 300 grams of protein while in the process of gaining. That of course would be overshadowed by the grams of carbohydrates and lipids. Now, if the bodybuilder is trying to cut weight while preserving muscle, the protein consumption would need to increase. A suggested formula of 2 grams to 2.5 grams per pound of body weight is advised. So for example, a 200 lb man will consume anywhere from 400 to 500 grams of protein. That sounds like a lot but considering carbohydrates and lipids will be low during this time, the extra protein is needed to cover for the lost calories and to prevent further muscle breakdown in the process of a low calorie intake.

A common saying in the bodybuilding community is that the body cannot absorb more than 30 grams of protein per sitting. I believe that is the rough estimate that one should go for, but the reality is that it all depends on the state that the body is in. Let me elaborate, if the body is in a state that it needs to repair, it will need more protein than average. Let's say you spend 60 minutes in the gym and have an arm tearing workout. Every muscle fiber in your biceps and triceps is torn and the body needs repair, so it would make sense to have a 50 to 75 gram shake of protein. Same thing in the morning, after 8 hours of sleeping with no food, your body is hungry for food and needs to repair. The meal before bed needs to be considered in all of this, because your body will not have any protein for 8 hours. So those 3 meals are very important and need to contain a little more protein than the rest of the meals. In times when a bodybuilder starts cutting the calories drop and protein increases, so each meal would consist of 40 to 60 grams of protein, but this time the body needs it due to the added stress of restricted calories and cardio. Below is an example of two different diets for cutting and bulking, the differences in protein intake illustrate the needs for each diet.

CUTTING

~3000 calories, 60% protein, 450 grams protein, a diet low in carbohydrates and fats=more protein required

Meal 1: 70 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 60 grams protein
    Meal 3: 60 grams protein
    Meal 4: 70 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 60 grams protein
    Meal 6: 60 grams protein
    Meal 7: 70 grams protein *from supplement

BULKING

~5000 calories, 40% protein, 250 grams protein, a diet loaded with carbohydrates and fats=less protein required

Meal 1: 35 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 35 grams protein
    Meal 3: 35 grams protein
    Meal 4: 35 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 35 grams protein
    Meal 6: 35 grams protein
    Meal 7: 35 grams protein *from supplement

Sources of Protein

Whole Foods: Tuna fish, Beef, Chicken Breast, Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Milk, beans, oats, peanut butter, nuts*
    *Incomplete Protein

Supplements: Whey protein, Whey Protein Isolate (fastest absorbtion), Casein Protein (slow absorbtion)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sf/whey.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

When it comes to whole foods protein can be obtained from a wide range of sources. Sources like beans, rice and oatmeal that contain a low amount of protein are called incomplete proteins and need to be 'teamed up' to complete the amino acid sequence so they can be used by the body. When counting protein, a bodybuilder should not count these. These can be considered the 'extra credit' protein. The real counting would come from sources like fish, beef, chicken, eggs, diary like cottage cheese and sea food. A simple can of tuna can contain up to 35 grams of good quality protein. The biological value (how much of the protein can be broken down and consumed) is high in these foods, with eggs containing the highest biological value. Now when it comes to supplemental sources there are a few benefits. Fast absorption and convenience are the main ones. Protein powder can be drank anywhere in a matter of seconds with no cooking required! Also when protein is needed immediately (morning and after workout) a protein shake would make more sense considering its broken down in a matter of 30 minutes comparing it to the breakdown of meat that could take 2-3 hours. So the best protein sources in the diet would be a mix of whole foods and supplements. Whey protein should be used for after workouts and morning for its fast absorption, with casein protein (super slow digesting protein) should be used for the bed time meal. In between those three meals meat should be used in order to retain a positive nitrogen balance through out the day /Nitrogen balance refers to the state of the body (positive=gaining, negative=breaking down, or EQ=balanced/ ).

Currently I am in the middle of cutting weight. My protein intake is pretty high due to the lack of carbohydrates and low amount of fats in my diet. I am consuming 375 grams of protein through out the day in 6 meals consisting of 50 grams of protein and 1 consisting of 80 grams (the post workout meal). Like the way I explained above, my protein needs change through out the year depending on my diet status (bulking, cutting, maintaining). When I bulk my protein is around 250 to 300 grams, when I maintain my protein is around 200-250 grams and during my cutting stage my protein is in the 300 to 500 grams depending on the amount of calories, cardio and the fat and carbohydrate consumption in the body. I use a mix of whole food and supplement when it comes to my protein needs. Whey protein is used after workout and in the mornings and casein protein is used before bed. As for the rest of the day I used tuna fish, beef, eggs and chicken to meet my protein needs. Below is an example of my current cutting diet and where the protein all fit, good luck and happy dieting!

MY CURRENT DIET

2500 calories, 60 % protein (375 grams), 20 % fats, 10% carbohydrates

Meal 1: 60 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 45 grams protein
    Meal 3: 40 grams protein
    Meal 4: 80 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 40 grams protein
    Meal 6: 50 grams protein
    Meal 7: 60 grams protein *from supplement
    Last edited by bigcalves; 08-04-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Good Luck to everyone!

gnarlysky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnarlysky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a good question.
    There is a point where you can digest too much protein that your body can't absorb and willf lush it out, correct?

But for 300lb bodybuilders, maybe it's hard to get enough. Ha.
    "I have inhaled, exhaled everything."

Staked products:
    ON Whey Protein
    White Flood
    Line One Muscle Pills

Originally Posted by bigcalves View Post
    How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

There are three main macro nutrients. Carbohydrates, Lipids and Protein. The first two are used by the body for energy, through different energy paths. The third is used to repair the body. Protein is an important nutrient for the body. It is used to repair anything that occurred though out the day, and is also used for growth. Protein is important for athletes from all sports, but most importantly it's needed for the bodybuilder, in the process of gaining more muscle. In today's sports world, the importance of protein is highly stressed. There are tons of adds and supplements on the market that promise loads of muscle and high protein content. There are also food labels which account the protein in grams and the daily value or percentage of protein. But is this for everyone? Should I follow the percentage or grams? There is a lot of information out there that might be confusing for many people. In the end each person is different and needs different amounts, plus bodybuilder need more than average people right? All of this can be confusing, and many people are left with too much information and no right answer. Well, all of this ends now. In order to meet each unique fitness goal, each bodybuilders protein needs will differ based on a few factors. The sex, weight and activity level are a few. Along with those, off season and contest prep dieting will result in different protein needs. Once the protein needs are determined, protein sources are next. Supplements, whole foods and incomplete sources of protein are all factors that need to be considered when designing the perfect diet with the perfect amount of protein.

If a bodybuilder is in the process of gaining weight and trying to achieve more mass, the formula of 1.5 grams per pound of body weight should be used. For example, a 200lb man will consume 300 grams of protein while in the process of gaining. That of course would be overshadowed by the grams of carbohydrates and lipids. Now, if the bodybuilder is trying to cut weight while preserving muscle, the protein consumption would need to increase. A suggested formula of 2 grams to 2.5 grams per pound of body weight is advised. So for example, a 200 lb man will consume anywhere from 400 to 500 grams of protein. That sounds like a lot but considering carbohydrates and lipids will be low during this time, the extra protein is needed to cover for the lost calories and to prevent further muscle breakdown in the process of a low calorie intake.

A common saying in the bodybuilding community is that the body cannot absorb more than 30 grams of protein per sitting. I believe that is the rough estimate that one should go for, but the reality is that it all depends on the state that the body is in. Let me elaborate, if the body is in a state that it needs to repair, it will need more protein than average. Let's say you spend 60 minutes in the gym and have an arm tearing workout. Every muscle fiber in your biceps and triceps is torn and the body needs repair, so it would make sense to have a 50 to 75 gram shake of protein. Same thing in the morning, after 8 hours of sleeping with no food, your body is hungry for food and needs to repair. The meal before bed needs to be considered in all of this, because your body will not have any protein for 8 hours. So those 3 meals are very important and need to contain a little more protein than the rest of the meals. In times when a bodybuilder starts cutting the calories drop and protein increases, so each meal would consist of 40 to 60 grams of protein, but this time the body needs it due to the added stress of restricted calories and cardio. Below is an example of two different diets for cutting and bulking, the differences in protein intake illustrate the needs for each diet.

CUTTING

~3000 calories, 60% protein, 450 grams protein, a diet low in carbohydrates and fats=more protein required

Meal 1: 70 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 60 grams protein
    Meal 3: 60 grams protein
    Meal 4: 70 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 60 grams protein
    Meal 6: 60 grams protein
    Meal 7: 70 grams protein *from supplement

BULKING

~5000 calories, 40% protein, 250 grams protein, a diet loaded with carbohydrates and fats=less protein required

Meal 1: 35 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 35 grams protein
    Meal 3: 35 grams protein
    Meal 4: 35 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 35 grams protein
    Meal 6: 35 grams protein
    Meal 7: 35 grams protein *from supplement

Sources of Protein

Whole Foods: Tuna fish, Beef, Chicken Breast, Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Milk, beans, oats, peanut butter, nuts*
    *Incomplete Protein

Supplements: Whey protein, Whey Protein Isolate (fastest absorbtion), Casein Protein (slow absorbtion)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sf/whey.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

When it comes to whole foods protein can be obtained from a wide range of sources. Sources like beans, rice and oatmeal that contain a low amount of protein are called incomplete proteins and need to be 'teamed up' to complete the amino acid sequence so they can be used by the body. When counting protein, a bodybuilder should not count these. These can be considered the 'extra credit' protein. The real counting would come from sources like fish, beef, chicken, eggs, diary like cottage cheese and sea food. A simple can of tuna can contain up to 35 grams of good quality protein. The biological value (how much of the protein can be broken down and consumed) is high in these foods, with eggs containing the highest biological value. Now when it comes to supplemental sources there are a few benefits. Fast absorption and convenience are the main ones. Protein powder can be drank anywhere in a matter of seconds with no cooking required! Also when protein is needed immediately (morning and after workout) a protein shake would make more sense considering its broken down in a matter of 30 minutes comparing it to the breakdown of meat that could take 2-3 hours. So the best protein sources in the diet would be a mix of whole foods and supplements. Whey protein should be used for after workouts and morning for its fast absorption, with casein protein (super slow digesting protein) should be used for the bed time meal. In between those three meals meat should be used in order to retain a positive nitrogen balance through out the day /Nitrogen balance refers to the state of the body (positive=gaining, negative=breaking down, or EQ=balanced/ ).

Currently I am in the middle of cutting weight. My protein intake is pretty high due to the lack of carbohydrates and low amount of fats in my diet. I am consuming 375 grams of protein through out the day in 6 meals consisting of 50 grams of protein and 1 consisting of 80 grams (the post workout meal). Like the way I explained above, my protein needs change through out the year depending on my diet status (bulking, cutting, maintaining). When I bulk my protein is around 250 to 300 grams, when I maintain my protein is around 200-250 grams and during my cutting stage my protein is in the 300 to 500 grams depending on the amount of calories, cardio and the fat and carbohydrate consumption in the body. I use a mix of whole food and supplement when it comes to my protein needs. Whey protein is used after workout and in the mornings and casein protein is used before bed. As for the rest of the day I used tuna fish, beef, eggs and chicken to meet my protein needs. Below is an example of my current cutting diet and where the protein all fit, good luck and happy dieting!

MY CURRENT DIET

2500 calories, 60 % protein (375 grams), 20 % fats, 10% carbohydrates

Meal 1: 60 grams of protein *from supplement
    Meal 2: 45 grams protein
    Meal 3: 40 grams protein
    Meal 4: 80 grams protein (post workout meal) *from supplement
    Meal 5: 40 grams protein
    Meal 6: 50 grams protein
    Meal 7: 60 grams protein *from supplement
    Sorry buddy but you and theoriginal are too late (I think). The deadline was August 4th.

Rising AAS guru.

it was august 4th, MOUNTAIN TIME
    i'm in the west coast... so 10:54pm is 11:54 pm... and i actually waited till the last 10 minutes on purpose to post it, so no its not late lol
    Last edited by bigcalves; 08-06-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Originally Posted by gnarlysky View Post
    This is a good question.
    There is a point where you can digest too much protein that your body can't absorb and willf lush it out, correct?

But for 300lb bodybuilders, maybe it's hard to get enough. Ha.
    in MD Kai's trainer said Kai gets in 500-1000 grams. DAMn

Hirn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bigcalves View Post
    in MD Kai's trainer said Kai gets in 500-1000 grams. DAMn
    Holy christ! Really?? What do the rest of his macros look like?
    Do it cause you love it

not sure, but think about it... he's consuming 4000 calories from just protein. thats nutty