Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    vbknez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much protein?

My goal is to gain muscle. So, i'm trying to get as much calories a day as posible, but maintaining the body fat % . So i need to know that protein takes from me a lot of calories. Much more than, fat and sugar. So mega dosages aren't realy beneficial. The other thing is that protein can be changed to sugar if sugar is needed at that time. So why would i eat only protein ? To damage my kidneys and throw away money for protein so i can convert it to sugar ? I don't see a reason to do so.
    1 gram per pound of body weight is the best.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    the diet was not ALL protein, it just showed the protein consumed in each meal since the article is focused on protein consumption and not fats/carbs/vitamins etc..

bilzu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think its use by his body needing. but protins are good for a body bilder.
    be true your self

M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hirn View Post
    Protein is essential for a bodybuilder and/or athlete to meet their fitness goals. However, the average recommended protein intake can differ depending on who you ask.
    Without a doubt this is one of the most discussed topics in the bodybuilding and athletic realms. Loads of information is available on this topic. Unfortunately for those looking for that "gold standard answer", you most likely will end up more confused about how much protein you should be consuming daily than when you first started searching.

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume daily?
    So with all these differences in answers, what do you do? I believe that cross referencing the results from various scientific studies is the best way to find true and unbiased answers to this question. Thousands of studies have been conducted on protein intake, looking for that golden answer, and even with all these professional experiments, results still differ, but only very slightly.

For those looking to maximize strength and power, most research shows that you should consume 1.6-1.7g of protein per kilogram kg of bodyweight every day (g/kg/day).

For those looking to maximize size, also known as hypertrophy, most research shows that you should consume 1.8-2.0g/kg/day. Those who consumed more than 2.0g/kg/day showed no greater increase in size compared to those who consumed up to 2.0g/kg/day.

When looking at these results you must consider a few key points:
    1. These recommendations were made based on the results of thousands of individuals who were tested and monitored. This should provide for the comfort of knowing that you probably fit somewhere in that range. However, not everyone is "average" and so there is always that chance that these recommendations are not for you. So how do you make sure you are not depriving your body of the protein it needs to grow? Well, if you don't currently have kidney disease and money is not a concern, I say play it safe and consume slightly more than the recommended (up to 2.5g/kg/day). I feel comfortable saying this because research has shown that excess protein intake is not bad for your liver as long as you don't have an established kidney disease.
    2. NOTE THE UNITS! It is in kg of bodyweight! I believe that this is where some of the very large recommendations you see on random bodybuilding websites and forums arise from. You often see 2-3g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day (g/lbs/day). Someone may have seen the correct number, but failed to read the units, but hey, don't feel bad if that was you because I guarantee you are not the only one (including myself when I first started)? Apparently the scientists think we use metric units now? To convert your weight to kg follow this equation:

Bodyweight in kg = (bodyweight in lbs) x (0.45359237)

So using myself as an example,
    - Bodyweight in lbs = 175 pounds
    - Bodyweight in kg = 79kg
    - Goal = hypertrophy (1.6-2.5 g/kg/day)
    - Daily Recommended Protein = 142-198g

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume in one sitting?
    You should now know how many grams of protein you need to consume every day, so the next step is breaking it down further and looking at how much protein you should consume for each meal. Most health experts and dieticians agree that 4-7 "smaller" meals should be consumed daily for best results in improving strength, power, and lean mass. Having more small meals per day rather than a couple huge meals per day is based heavily on the concept of nitrogen balance. Nitrogen balance is simply the amount of nitrogen consumed (N in) as compared with the amount of nitrogen excreted (N out) in a given period of time. Protein provides this nitrogen. So what is the significance of this?

- Nitrogen Equilibrium (N in = N out)
    -Healthy adult
    - Negative Nitrogen Balance (N in < N out)
    -Proteins are broken down for energy
    - Positive Nitrogen Balance (N in > N out)
    -Allows for growth and repair

Similar to blood glucose levels rising after consuming carbohydrates, after consuming protein the concentration of nitrogen in your body increases. The levels of nitrogen slowly drop following your meal and so by eating frequently you can ensure you are maintaining a positive nitrogen balance and therefore an environment for your body that promotes growth and repair!

To reach your recommended amount of protein while maintaining a positive nitrogen balance, consume your protein in equal amounts over all your meals. Once again using me as an example (considering I eat 6 meals/day), I would consume 24-33g of protein at each meal. These numbers would be smaller or larger depending on if I ate more or fewer meals, respectively.

Sample 1-Day Meal Plan
    Meal 1:
    o 3 egg whites
    o 1 whole egg
    o 1/2 cup instant oats in water
    Total = 30g protein

Meal 2:
    o 1 scoop whey protein in water
    o 1 Tbs peanut butter
    o 1 sweet potato
    Total = 25g protein

Meal 3:
    o 2.5 oz of tuna on whole wheat bread
    o 2 cup veggies
    o Yogurt
    Total = 31g protein

Meal 4 (pre-workout):
    o 1/2 cup instant oats in water
    o 1 scoop whey protein mixed into oats
    o 1/4 cup almonds
    Total = 33g protein

Meal 5 (post-workout):
    o 1 scoop whey protein
    o 1 cup chocolate milk
    Total = 30g protein

Meal 6:
    o 4 oz chicken breast
    o 1 tbs olive oil (for cooking chicken)
    o 1/2 cup brown rice
    o 2 cups veggies
    o 1 cup skim milk
    Total = 33g protein

Protein Totals:
    -Total protein = 182g
    -Protein from supplements = 44g

What is the best balance of getting protein from food and supplements?
    Once again this is a question that arises often with answers all over the board. Some individuals believe that all protein you consume should come from whole foods, and that protein supplements are a complete waste of money.

Their main argument against protein supplements is that they ONLY supply amino acids to the body, while nature's protein sources such as lean meat, milk, eggs, and legumes can supply all these amino acids along with many other nutrients needed to grow. This point is very legitimate as you WILL NOT get stronger or bigger if you do not eat food that provides adequate energy or that is lacking other nutrients, such as fats, carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins, needed to support muscle growth.

However, there are quite a few arguments that you can make against those who say protein supplementation is a waste of your money:

Economical
    First of all, it's the exact opposite of a waste of money. You are able to get more grams of protein per dollar than if you would go out and buy a steak or a chicken breast. Protein powder is therefore a very economical way to allow bodybuilders to get a sufficient amount of protein. This is especially great for the teens and younger bodybuilders who are running on a very low income.

Ease of Protein Powder
    Take a scoop. Pour into liquid. Shake. Drink! Boom your nitrogen balance is back to positive and your ready to grow!

Research Shows Benefits
    Many studies have been conducted looking at the effects of whey protein supplementation following resistance training and almost all have shown that supplementing with whey protein post-workout increases strength and size significantly more than not consuming whey protein. Even better results were shown when the whey protein was consumed along with a simple carbohydrate source such as maltodextrin or dextrose.

Avoid High Amounts of Saturated Fats
    Yes, fat is necessary in everyone's diet, but too much fat, especially saturated fats can be very unhealthy and lead to weight gain and many other complications. Many whole-food sources of protein such as steak and eggs are high in saturated fats and cholesterol. Protein powder allows for you to get your recommended amount of protein without consuming excess amounts of fat and calories.

Vegetarians
    For those who are vegetarians, protein powders are a great way to make sure they get enough high quality protein every day. There are animal proteins such as steak, fish, and eggs and then there are plant proteins such as legumes and grains. Consuming the amount of protein a bodybuilder requires can be a tough mark to reach when only eating plant protein sources, and so protein powder is a convenient and easy way to help reach your recommended intake on a vegetarian diet.

To conclude this section, I say that if you have the money and time to consume all your protein from whole-foods, then go for it! I would still recommend taking a protein shake with a carbohydrate source post workout. If you cannot consume your recommended amount of protein from whole-foods, then supplementing with a protein powder is a must. However, make sure you put in an effort to include as many whole-food sources of protein as possible!

BONUS QUESTION: How much protein do you consume? Does your intake ever change, or do you keep it consistent throughout the year?
    Previously I had been taking in ONLY about 100g of protein per day. I was worried about how many calories I was eating and not gaining weight. Three months ago I started consuming between 150-180g of protein on lifting and non-lifting days, and I have seen the best results of my weightlifting career. I have been experiences increases in my strength, and my physique has improved IMMENSELY!

My protein consumption is made up of 60g from whey protein supplement and the rest primarily from clean sources such as chicken, tuna, eggs, legumes, grains, peanut butter, and almonds.

I plan to keep this intake consistent throughout the year and only alter it when my bodyweight changes.
    Great post! - I rely heavily on Protein Powders, and agree they work very well. I am wondering if they provide near the same thermic effect as solid protein?????...

Hirn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by M5eludim View Post
    Great post! - I rely heavily on Protein Powders, and agree they work very well. I am wondering if they provide near the same thermic effect as solid protein?????...
    Thanks man! Still waiting to find out the winners... I am not 100% sure on the thermic effect subject. With the bit of biochemistry knowledge I have I would initially think that the thermic effect would be less from whey protein. Whey protein is a quick digesting protein, and so therefore the body has to do less work to digest it. I will try to find a better answer and get back to you on it...
    Do it cause you love it

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks man! Still waiting to find out the winners... I am not 100% sure on the thermic effect subject. With the bit of biochemistry knowledge I have I would initially think that the thermic effect would be less from whey protein. Whey protein is a quick digesting protein, and so therefore the body has to do less work to digest it. I will try to find a better answer and get back to you on it...
    naw, your right. the quick digestion and virtually no breakdown process thats needed makes it way less thermogenic compared to tuna or steak that requires 2-3 hours for the break down.

BV -highest is better?

So protein quality is measured by the biological value . That means higher bv better the protein source. Well, there are some critics about that. Whey protein isolate has an bv of 150. So it makes it the best protein ? A study claims that when the human body consumes whey protein it is absorbed so rapidly that most of it is sent to the liver for oxidation. What converts the protein to sugar. And when i posted that on a forum, they sad, yes. that's why whey is the best after workout and in the mornig. That means for most of the (average) people, whey protein ain't the best. And there is also a study, where it shows that whey protein has only 17% of the NNU.(Net Nitrogen Utilization). That makes it the worst protein among with soy and milk who have also 17% of NNU. The study claimed that whole food is the best. Like egg whites have 18% of NNU and yolk has 17 % of NNU. But if you eat the whole egg you will get 48%NNU, what means that 48% of the aminoacids in the egg will be used for protein synthesis, the other 52 will be toxic waste.
    But this are just some studies, i'm not sure if they're true.

Hirn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by vbknez View Post
    So protein quality is measured by the biological value . That means higher bv better the protein source. Well, there are some critics about that. Whey protein isolate has an bv of 150. So it makes it the best protein ? A study claims that when the human body consumes whey protein it is absorbed so rapidly that most of it is sent to the liver for oxidation. What converts the protein to sugar. And when i posted that on a forum, they sad, yes. that's why whey is the best after workout and in the mornig. That means for most of the (average) people, whey protein ain't the best. And there is also a study, where it shows that whey protein has only 17% of the NNU.(Net Nitrogen Utilization). That makes it the worst protein among with soy and milk who have also 17% of NNU. The study claimed that whole food is the best. Like egg whites have 18% of NNU and yolk has 17 % of NNU. But if you eat the whole egg you will get 48%NNU, what means that 48% of the aminoacids in the egg will be used for protein synthesis, the other 52 will be toxic waste.
    Nice stuff man! Do you have the research article for this? I would really like to read it.
    Do it cause you love it

shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by vbknez View Post
    hmmm ... interestingggg
    Success comes with sacrifice

"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder then you. Guess what.. I'm that someone" -- Kevin Garnett

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right" -- Henry Ford

iRepBack.. Always

Nice stuff man! Do you have the research article for this? I would really like to read it.
    Well, the link is actualy about a aminoacid product(can't mention the name) . Maybe it's just junk. I don't know, but it's rare to find it ain't cheap. So because the site is an advertisment those studies are maybe only "studies". And it's hard to find the studies in english language. But you can read on wikipedia about the biological value :
    (man can't post links yet D: )
    Just type in the searcher biological value
    Down under(don't look for Australia XD) is a subtitle Criticism. There is written something about whey protein being used for sugar.

M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) M5eludim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!

TOPIC: How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

For the week of: July 29 - August 4
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protein is essential for a bodybuilder and/or athlete to meet their fitness goals. However, the average recommended protein intake can differ depending on who you ask.

BONUS QUESTION: How much protein do you consume? Does your intake ever change, or do you keep it consistent throughout the year?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Whatever you need to meet your calorie requirements after cutting you carbs and fat!!!!

Originally Posted by M5eludim View Post
    Whatever you need to meet your calorie requirements after cutting you carbs and fat!!!!
    If those rules where mantioned because of my post .... Yeah, i wen't in to a different direction. Still. There is something that my post can tell you about protein needs. If those studies are correct, than it depends where do you get your protein. According to those studies, the net daily requirements of protein is a half of gram per pound of body weight. And if you include those statements about the nnu, than a 200 pound male bodybuilder would have to eat 600 grams of whey soy ore milk protein per day (if that would be his only source of protein), 330 grams of protein if he would eat only meat ore 200 grams if he would get his protein from whole eggs.
    On the other side if those studies are wrong, what means it doesn't matter how food is prepared (raw, cooked etc.) and that it doesn't matter that protein shakes aren't whole foods, but are just the protein part of a food source, than I would say that because Protein is the most important nutrient, the amount of protein shouldn't be different a lot if we want to lose weight ore gain it. The only nutrient that should go up or down are the fats and carbs, who can only provide energy and will determinate if we want to loose ore gain weight.

UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Talk the talk

Originally Posted by UCIMTHEROCK View Post
    Every bodybuilder needs different amounts of protein depending on body type. what is your job? how much and how often do you train?
    Protein is the king of all supplements and vitamins, your body will not grow or mantain weight without it period!
    As far as how much start with 1 and 1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight that you weigh. chart that for thirty days and see if you have grown stronger and bigger, stronger and fatter or lost weight and gotten weaker and adjust calorie intake and protein as your body changes.
    Lets make it simple its not Rocket science. feed your body good clean food on a regular basis try not to go hungry or overeat. keep protein high and carbs and fat clean.
    being consistent is the key to it all.
    I eat between 30 and 80 grams of protein per sitting. and anywhere from 250 to 400 grams per day.
    it is a constantly changing thing and it gauged by my size, hardness, energy and bodyfat levels
    enough said
    What would you do in your life if you knew you could not fail?

I see alot of guys talking about how much protein they think they need and that I may consume too much. I could not feed my left leg from 100 grams of protein a day! I would go back to 132 pounds in six months. natural bodybuilders need way more protein than a chemically enhanced bodybuilder!
    I was stuck at 160 pounds for months until I raised my protein 100 grams + a day more than I was already taking in. I gained 10 pounds of muscle in 3 months and got harder and leaner! everthing else was the same I just added two more meals a day.
    Stand up on stage in your underwear in front of a thousand people and then tell me what I need to get bigger and win another show. until then I'll take my 5 overalls and thirty bodybuilding trophys and keep waht I'm doing! My next show is September Anyone is welcome to go toe to toe with me! www.naturalbodybuilding.com

Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500)
    What about just eating ALL the time? i figure if im eating all the time im anabolic and i won't lose weight (ectomorph)

TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TammyBravomalo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein Intake

I weigh around 138 before I start cutting up for a show. When I do start, I consume around 300g of protein per day, no more than 50g in one sitting. When I am off season, I consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

When it comes to consuming a lot of protein, many people find protein supplements harder to digest. So, if you do run into this problem, just supplement one shake for a solid source of protein. Try this with one shake each day until your digestion track feels better. Also try digestive enzymes.

The thing is, you have to figure out what works best for your body. If you have the time, I would recommend cutting up no less then 6 months to one year out from your show. After this, maintain, then cut up again. You will be able to see how much muscle mass you lose, how long it takes to lose the fat, and how your body responds with certain sources of foods.

Feel free to check out my diets: http://tammybravomalo.wordpress.com/

To everyone, keep up the hard work!

Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!

TOPIC: How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

For the week of: July 29 - August 4
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by TammyBravomalo; 10-19-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added protein intake when off season.

FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromNowOn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good information

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by McGillLifter View Post
    i feel that it is important i tell you that if you have protein in your urine that is a sign of a Urinary track infection. The human body does not urinate protein. Excess protein like excess calories is converted to fat.
    Protein in the urine or protinuria is not the sign of a urinary tract infection. If the body is spilling urine it is a sign of a kidney issue which means that the kidneys are not filtering the protein properly

Nerd BB'r in Japan! jerrycarroll's Avatar
    jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by humbaba621 View Post
    I consume 230g to 250g per lb of bodyweight, and I am 6'1 200lbs.
    you are kidding right? at that ratio you are taking just over 101 lbs per day!
    sure you don't mean 2.3 (still too much IMO) or total per day is 230g to 250g??
    "Integrity is paramount"--J. A. Carroll

"Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." --Gen. Patton

Murphy's Law: The probability of a data crash is directly proportional to the length of time since the last backup.

"Asking a question is not stupid. Stupid is pretending you know the answer or ignoring the problem." - J.A.Carroll

"Stay positive, that and good food is very anabolic!" J A Carroll

levi_higgins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your body can only absorb 40 g of protein at a time, the rest just goes to waste. You dont necessarily want as much protein as you can get. Just always shoot for 30-35 g a meal and have at least as many meals as you need to so that the total grams taken equals your body weight.

i consume about 30 g a meal
    and about 180 total in a day
    Last edited by levi_higgins; 11-25-2009 at 07:48 PM.

jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jth16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by levi_higgins View Post
    your body can only absorb 40 g of protein at a time,
    Get that bull**** broscience out of here.

How much protein one can assimilate at any given moment is a near incalculable variable. One that isn't going to be generalized to '40 g at a time'. You've got to take into account protein synthesis, what else the person may be eating at the time, insulin, cortisol, how old the person is, whether they're male or female, how tall, how muscular, how fat, plethora of different hormone levels, was this person in a calorie deficit prior to this feeding or were they in an excess, supplements, etc. The list goes on.

I don't even want to answer the questions to win. Generalizing a diet variable that is going to vary to this extent and is mediated by controls that no one can properly monitor is ridiculous.

-Jordan
    Last edited by jth16; 11-25-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com --------- www.naturalbodybuildingradio.com
    www.biolayne.com -------- www.3dmusclejourney.com

"I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in a maze of mediocrity. I won't give up shut up, let up, or slow up"

"In preparing elite training programs we will not underestimate the adaptive abilities of the human body"

Team Norton 2010

Nerd BB'r in Japan! jerrycarroll's Avatar
    jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) jerrycarroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jth16 View Post
    Get that bull**** broscience out of here.

How much protein one can assimilate at any given moment is a near incalculable variable. One that isn't going to be generalized to '40 g at a time'. You've got to take into account protein synthesis, what else the person may be eating at the time, insulin, cortisol, how old the person is, whether they're male or female, how tall, how muscular, how fat, plethora of different hormone levels, was this person in a calorie deficit prior to this feeding or were they in an excess, supplements, etc. The list goes on.

I don't even want to answer the questions to win. Generalizing a diet variable that is going to vary to this extent and is mediated by controls that no one can properly monitor is ridiculous.

-Jordan
    thanks for answering this for me....I got a buddy that said this and instead fight him on it I just let him think he was right.....let him think that while I keep getting bigger than him
    "Integrity is paramount"--J. A. Carroll

"Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." --Gen. Patton

Murphy's Law: The probability of a data crash is directly proportional to the length of time since the last backup.

"Asking a question is not stupid. Stupid is pretending you know the answer or ignoring the problem." - J.A.Carroll

"Stay positive, that and good food is very anabolic!" J A Carroll

CarbLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by shaun norateen View Post
    stop worrying about it. does protein BUILD MUSCLE. NO. they REPAIR the damage you do to your muslces in the gym and repair your body due to everyday activity. who cares if you have 400-500 a day... stop worrying how much you consume.. worry about how hard you work out. heavy weights, high intensity, build bigger muscles
    agreed protein doesnt build anything...and u get it in EVERYTHING!!! I only focus on Carbs lots of them always the rest takes care of itself naturaly

btm5002 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) btm5002 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) btm5002 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) btm5002 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) btm5002 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

No brainer

1.5-2 grams per Body pound. Spread out evenly and in different forms daily.

bladetink has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's healthiest to divide your protein consumption into 5 or 6 meals evenly spaced throughout the day.

houlMosmolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

engraved personalized gifts

blingforfun com/Personalized-Gifts/Business-Card-Holder/Business-Card-Holder-Free-Engraving-Personalized-/prod_1000 html]cheap engraved gifts
    [url=http://www.blingforfun.com/Personalized-Gifts/Laser-Engraved-16oz-Stainless-Steel-Tumbler-Personlize-Engraving/prod_998.html]personalized gifts for men[/url]

porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    for the affiliate platform and has earned its trusted name in gaming since 1925 and since then, has offered players a wide selection of enjoyable online casino and online poker games.

porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) porton has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Agree on right before lunch, but the morning is great to get it over with before

So far, this style has been the best to increase my Bench Max. Monday, hit chest and biceps hard. For bench, do 2x6 with max weight you can use for 2 sets of 6 reps. If you fail on set two, and you dont get reps, next week same weight. If you fail on first set, take off 5kg (11 lbs). If you succeed wit

I'm still in the energetic part of the day, lunch has filtered through my system, but I'm juuust starting to drag. Hitting the weights at this point, with a nice shot of caffeine or Met-Rx

For the workweek, the morning's the only time I can imagine. After I come home, my family's ready for dinner. After dinner, we socialize--you know, we act like a family. When everything's calmed down, my daughter's