Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Great post and great thread JUSA, hope you get Mod repped for this one.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Great thread

Can I just add that writing a long waffly essay about your life history and then asking broad-brush questions is another good way to get an unhelpful or zero response.

Read the stickies and then post a concise, specific and focussed question...

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So we decided to kill the usefulness of this thread by making it a sticky?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    So we decided to kill the usefulness of this thread by making it a sticky?
    Yeah, looks like we did. Now that this thread is a sticky, there are "critique my workout* threads coming up by the horde

sograpes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great Post, Thanks
    "Man is a pupil, pain is his teacher." -Alfred de Musset

bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's very funny to see this because recently I've been noticing more "critique my routine" threads that were bad even by the standard of that type of thread. I imagine this signals that I am not the only one who saw it. One sad observation, though, was made when we were running the Rippetoe/Starting Strength FAQ thread that gave Dave76 a heart attack. Even the simplest plan with a detailed write-up generated loads and loads of already answered or outright stupid questions and tons of modifications. You can lead them to water...
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112804051

Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mindy1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post - good to know that someone knows what they're talking about.

fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fgari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great stuff man thanks!

JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100) JerrodA92 is not very well liked. (-100)

Tell me what yall think about this workout

My body has always been lean. Not skinny. Always have muscle even if i dont workout. Because I really cant pack on extreme mass, i have always just been able to pack on ripped muscle and thats how i usually get bigger. I thought of this workout considering the way my body is built to gain muscle. Tell me what you think!

Monday- Chest, back, biceps sets of 20 reps

Tuesday- Quads, Hams, Calves, Triceps sets of 20 reps

Wedneday- body weight workouts (pushups, pull ups, wall squats etc.)

Thursday- Chest, back, biceps sets of 6-8 reps

Friday- Quads, Hams, Calves, Triceps sets of 6-8 reps

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JerrodA92 View Post
    My body has always been lean. Not skinny. Always have muscle even if i dont workout. Because I really cant pack on extreme mass, i have always just been able to pack on ripped muscle and thats how i usually get bigger. I thought of this workout considering the way my body is built to gain muscle. Tell me what you think!

Monday- Chest, back, biceps sets of 20 reps

Tuesday- Quads, Hams, Calves, Triceps sets of 20 reps

Wedneday- body weight workouts (pushups, pull ups, wall squats etc.)

Thursday- Chest, back, biceps sets of 6-8 reps

Friday- Quads, Hams, Calves, Triceps sets of 6-8 reps
    Haha did you even read this thread? I cannot seriously believe you posted your routine in here.

EDIT: I really think the universe might implode because of your post. You posted a routine in a thread about why your routine isn't getting critiqued/is shitty. What a concept.

boomboom14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I will try the 5x5 routine but, i was thinking, if i'm squatting every and doing bench press 2 times a week will i overtrain my legs and my chest

lovely_89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmm very nice... im still a noob and this described me perfectly (as it would to 95% of the people who first started) but am slowly changing for the better!! : ) thnxz!!

lovely_89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    Haha did you even read this thread? I cannot seriously believe you posted your routine in here.

EDIT: I really think the universe might implode because of your post. You posted a routine in a thread about why your routine isn't getting critiqued/is shitty. What a concept.
    i think i might spew up!!!

Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gabriel Anton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    gj jusa man

but I have question

is 20x10 biceps curls good for huge guns?

andrewmurphy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea noob's have questions but they don't read really. I can see people asking supplement and diet questions though because the views on diet questions for gaining mass or cutting can be somewhat subjective and it is nice to hear feedback from people who have done it. As for the lifting for noob's, I see it alot on here and in the gym. People come in to the gym with no plan and hit up a set or two on every machine and they always I mean always do their cardio pre-workout.

Bigbolbs4484 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I have a few questions...I want to gain strength and mass in arms and chest mostly (finish reading before you guys start gettin mad..haha) and I really like the concentration on Squats and Deadlifts...I started monday by doing Squats (really concentrating on form now not weight), deadlifts, bent over rows, and some lat pull downs. all sets of 4 at 8 reps...and I was so sore in the middle of my back the next day...not the lower part but middle and upper..So i was wondering if this is normal? And i mean a decent amount of pain, to where it hurt to lift something. Does this mean I was doing them wrong or that I am now just doing them right?

Also, are you guys totally trashing doing any bicep and tricep work? Ive been lifting for 2 years learning new stuff every day from this site...but this post imparticular seemed like you guys know what your talking about. I now squat 225 4 sets 8 reps ( just started going whole way down and conctrating on form) 245 4 sets 8 reps deadlift..bench 205 4 sets 8 reps (no spotter)...am i still too much of a beginner?

nsd44nsd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great post,

ive been working out 3times a week for the last 7 months and have had some real good gains, but im realistic to know that at the moment its still about getting my form correct over trying to lift as much as possible to soon

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bigbolbs4484 View Post
    So I have a few questions...I want to gain strength and mass in arms and chest mostly (finish reading before you guys start gettin mad..haha) and I really like the concentration on Squats and Deadlifts...I started monday by doing Squats (really concentrating on form now not weight), deadlifts, bent over rows, and some lat pull downs. all sets of 4 at 8 reps...and I was so sore in the middle of my back the next day...not the lower part but middle and upper..So i was wondering if this is normal? And i mean a decent amount of pain, to where it hurt to lift something. Does this mean I was doing them wrong or that I am now just doing them right?

Also, are you guys totally trashing doing any bicep and tricep work? Ive been lifting for 2 years learning new stuff every day from this site...but this post imparticular seemed like you guys know what your talking about. I now squat 225 4 sets 8 reps ( just started going whole way down and conctrating on form) 245 4 sets 8 reps deadlift..bench 205 4 sets 8 reps (no spotter)...am i still too much of a beginner?
    Thanks for reading the stickies.

If I were you I would do two things.
    1. Pick up "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Find the e-book or something and read it. It's the most recommended literature in strength sports. If you are too lazy to do that, at least google "Starting Strength Wiki." But I really do suggest the book.
    2. Do a program that emphasizes linear progression/ progressive load. You are in a phase where you absolutely must take full advantage of your "newb gains."

Good luck bro.

pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pswigg55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am one of those guys who thinks they can write out there own programs and be just fine but i cant. Im 17 years old and even though ive been lifting for 3 years I have torn my lebrum in my right shoulder 3 times all due to football. Ive finally talked myself out of playing football my senior year but i love lifting weights. My shoulder significantly restricts the types of lifts i can do. Heavy benching is tuff, i cant squat because my hurt shoulder will not allow me to reach back to comfortably grab the bar, dips or pullups, and any lifts where im pushing weight over my head can be painful. Ive had trainers in the past such as former OU strength coach Pete Martinelli who bored me to death doing the same full body workout for 8 months, gaining muscle was very slow but effective. I need to find a new program right for me and its very difficult to find one without changing half of it. If you can point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pswigg55 View Post
    I am one of those guys who thinks they can write out there own programs and be just fine but i cant. Im 17 years old and even though ive been lifting for 3 years I have torn my lebrum in my right shoulder 3 times all due to football. Ive finally talked myself out of playing football my senior year but i love lifting weights. My shoulder significantly restricts the types of lifts i can do. Heavy benching is tuff, i cant squat because my hurt shoulder will not allow me to reach back to comfortably grab the bar, dips or pullups, and any lifts where im pushing weight over my head can be painful. Ive had trainers in the past such as former OU strength coach Pete Martinelli who bored me to death doing the same full body workout for 8 months, gaining muscle was very slow but effective. I need to find a new program right for me and its very difficult to find one without changing half of it. If you can point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.
    It's going to be tough to construct a program where you can't do any heavy presses. You shouldn't have a problem doing front squats though as you hold the bar in front of you.

haydos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great post man one of the best i've read on here

AZMax_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post, just in the nick of time for me...

Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ridergreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a great thread. Just to let you know, you saved one noob from posting his stupid workout to be critqued. I have started on the one suggested and I understand why.

Thanks for posting this.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Reading is knowledge and knowledge is power. Call it a cliche if you must, but any newb--or even someone who's been working out a while--should be reading the first few posts of this thread. And yes, I have noticed more "Critique my workout, please" posts. How hard is it to sit down for about thirty or forty minutes and READ the links provided and digest that info? It can't be THAT difficult...but judging by some of the threads I've been reading, it obviously is.

I'm not knocking all newbs or anyone in particular, BTW; many of them really do lack the knowledge and want to learn, and assuming they have no previous injuries which would limit them from doing the basics, they should be getting on one of the tried-and-true programmes listed. The question is: Will they? Basics work, and no matter how you structure your programme, doesn't matter if it's split or full-body, you still need the basic exercises. I just hope some of the newer dudes whose aim is to get stronger and bigger will take these words to heart and read the links provided.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

paperchaser360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice post!

NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok, I've read many of the stickies by now. The thing is that almost all of them only talk about building muscle and getting bigger, but that's not what I'm after.

I've taken some of rippetoe's routine and applied to what I can do at home. I can go to the gym but the thing is every time I go to the gym (in the past) I alway get lazy in a few weeks and stop. So, what I'm doing right now is working out at home so that way I get used to working out and not bitching out in like a month.

My question is about losing weight/cutting more than it is about building muscle to get bigger and so far I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. I do have a great workout plan that one of the members on here gave me that is in .doc format. The thing is since I'm working out at home, I can't really use it. I will use that plan for when I go to the gym but at home it's impossible.

So, since I have a unique question, in my eyes, should I go ahead and ask it or should I just refrain from doing anything?

Originally Posted by NarutoRamen View Post
    Ok, I've read many of the stickies by now. The thing is that almost all of them only talk about building muscle and getting bigger, but that's not what I'm after.

I've taken some of rippetoe's routine and applied to what I can do at home. I can go to the gym but the thing is every time I go to the gym (in the past) I alway get lazy in a few weeks and stop. So, what I'm doing right now is working out at home so that way I get used to working out and not bitching out in like a month.

My question is about losing weight/cutting more than it is about building muscle to get bigger and so far I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. I do have a great workout plan that one of the members on here gave me that is in .doc format. The thing is since I'm working out at home, I can't really use it. I will use that plan for when I go to the gym but at home it's impossible.

So, since I have a unique question, in my eyes, should I go ahead and ask it or should I just refrain from doing anything?
    Mass gain and weightloss are both a function of how much food is consumed vs. calories burned. If you want to lose weight, simply go into a calorie defecit (cals consumed < calories burned). Starting Strength will help you preserve muscle over that period. Include cardio to assist you in getting to a calorie defecit.

NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10) NarutoRamen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    Mass gain and weightloss are both a function of how much food is consumed vs. calories burned. If you want to lose weight, simply go into a calorie defecit (cals consumed < calories burned). Starting Strength will help you preserve muscle over that period. Include cardio to assist you in getting to a calorie defecit.
    So, basically you're saying: Burn more calories than I consume and Rippetoe's program will help me maintain muscle so I just end up losing bodyfat and not muscle mass? Ok, what about cutting? Is that part of this or is that a whole different concept?

Thanks in advance for the help.

black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) black_cloud has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by NarutoRamen View Post
    So, basically you're saying: Burn more calories than I consume and Rippetoe's program will help me maintain muscle so I just end up losing bodyfat and not muscle mass? Ok, what about cutting? Is that part of this or is that a whole different concept?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    When you cut your objective is to lose body fat while maintaining muscle.

Originally Posted by black_cloud View Post
    When you cut your objective is to lose body fat while maintaining muscle.
    Ok, it's basically what I'm doing right now then. Great, that means I'm on the right path. I just hope then I can keep pushing myself. I'm glad I read this sticky and not started a thread.

Thanks for your help guys!