EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)

How to tell your insulin sensitivity?

So, my question is this. Is there and if yes, what is the way of telling how insulin sensitive you are and thus getting the answer to the question whether your body "prefers" carbs or fats?

There's a practical reason for my asking this, as well. I've namely been on a 3000 kcal bulk these last few weeks and I've not gained much, I'd say 1kg (~2.2lbs) and from what I see in the mirror and from my gut skinfold it's basically only fat.

I've been on a 40/30/30 c/p/f split, as well as gone from a split routine to a full body routine. The split didn't seem to be working, so for the last two weeks I've gone back to the basics, since I am a rookie in "bodybuilding" after all with muscle mass not worth mentioning. Now I figured it could be that I'm doing something wrong when working out and that's why I'm gaining fat and not muscle, and that is why I've changed back to a full body routine. But even with this, I've noticed I've gained fat in the last two weeks (dating back to the switch), as well, and it's really hard for me to believe - since after all, I should at least be getting newbie gains - that my workout routine is THAT bad.

So there's my cue for starting to question my nutrition. The latter is basically "clean", I'd say, but I was thinking whether I should change my carbs / fats ratio. Since my protein is already high (200 - 240g daily, with around 150 - 180g coming from "complete" protein sources), I figured those two groups are the only ones I should change (well, save for maybe implementing alcohol, but I'll save that for another day ). So this is where the original question comes into play, since I want to know whether there are signs indicating what your body prefers.

Plus, I'd like to add to this that throughout the day I'm pretty lethargic and don't really have much energy, despite eating ~300g carbs daily. I just don't know whether that's a sign of eating too little or too much

So any help, whether as to the original, more theoretical question or concerning my case specific situation, would be greatly appreciated.

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by EmperorRyker View Post
    So, my question is this. Is there and if yes, what is the way of telling how insulin sensitive you are and thus getting the answer to the question whether your body "prefers" carbs or fats?

There's a practical reason for my asking this, as well. I've namely been on a 3000 kcal bulk these last few weeks and I've not gained much, I'd say 1kg (~2.2lbs) and from what I see in the mirror and from my gut skinfold it's basically only fat.

I've been on a 40/30/30 c/p/f split, as well as gone from a split routine to a full body routine. The split didn't seem to be working, so for the last two weeks I've gone back to the basics, since I am a rookie in "bodybuilding" after all with muscle mass not worth mentioning. Now I figured it could be that I'm doing something wrong when working out and that's why I'm gaining fat and not muscle, and that is why I've changed back to a full body routine. But even with this, I've noticed I've gained fat in the last two weeks (dating back to the switch), as well, and it's really hard for me to believe - since after all, I should at least be getting newbie gains - that my workout routine is THAT bad.

So there's my cue for starting to question my nutrition. The latter is basically "clean", I'd say, but I was thinking whether I should change my carbs / fats ratio. Since my protein is already high (200 - 240g daily, with around 150 - 180g coming from "complete" protein sources), I figured those two groups are the only ones I should change (well, save for maybe implementing alcohol, but I'll save that for another day ). So this is where the original question comes into play, since I want to know whether there are signs indicating what your body prefers.

Plus, I'd like to add to this that throughout the day I'm pretty lethargic and don't really have much energy, despite eating ~300g carbs daily. I just don't know whether that's a sign of eating too little or too much

So any help, whether as to the original, more theoretical question or concerning my case specific situation, would be greatly appreciated.
    A) You are over thinking this ****.
    B) If you're really concerned, you have to go to a doctor and have them run some test.

Also it doesn't really matter what you take in for carbs, etc. Just eat your fruits, vegetables, get some healthy fats and make sure your protein intake is where you want it. It's that simple. WHen you start to micromanagement like you do, it's only setting yourself up for failure.

How do you know what your body prefers? Trial and error.

/thread

ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500)
    Your sensitivity to niacin is a good indicator. Take 50mg of niacin on an empty stomach. If you flush hard, you're a protein type, if not, you're a carb or mixed diet type.
    I am the destroyer of worlds.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=382689241

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ChAoSandPAIN View Post
    Your sensitivity to niacin is a good indicator. Take 50mg of niacin on an empty stomach. If you flush hard, you're a protein type, if not, you're a carb or mixed diet type.
    Seriously though, does it really matter that much?

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Djin View Post
    A) You are over thinking this ****.
    B) If you're really concerned, you have to go to a doctor and have them run some test.

Also it doesn't really matter what you take in for carbs, etc. Just eat your fruits, vegetables, get some healthy fats and make sure your protein intake is where you want it. It's that simple. WHen you start to micromanagement like you do, it's only setting yourself up for failure.

/thread
    Why would I be overthinking it? The reason why I put up the numbers is just in case people could tell stuff from it and offer better advice. And yeah, I know it not supposed to matter whether you eat more carbs or fats, but people are different and they function differently, so I figure there is something you can do by altering the intake of those two macros. I guess what I'm ultimately gonna have to do really will be trial and error, but still I thought I'd ask first for maybe someone to offer some concrete advice if it's at all possible (perhaps from that lethargy and lack of energy example).

signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why would I be overthinking it? The reason why I put up the numbers is just in case people could tell stuff from it and offer better advice. And yeah, I know it not supposed to matter whether you eat more carbs or fats, but people are different and they function differently, so I figure there is something you can do by altering the intake of those two macros. I guess what I'm ultimately gonna have to do really will be trial and error, but still I thought I'd ask first for maybe someone to offer some concrete advice if it's at all possible (perhaps from that lethargy and lack of energy example).
    The quick and dirty test for insulin sensitivity is, on an empty stomach, eat a bunch of carbs. Do you feel tired, sluggish, and bloated, or do you feel energized. If the former, then probably insulin resistant, if the latter, then probably insulin sensitive. I don't know about the niacin and I'm not going to look it up now. Your other option is a test from a Dr or a lab.

Also, remember that exercise itself improves insulin sensitivity, as does losing weight.

Follow up questions?

ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500) ChAoSandPAIN is not very helpful. (-500)
    Seriously though, does it really matter that much?
    I think it does, especially if attempting to decide whether or not to go keto.
    I am the destroyer of worlds.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=382689241

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Take a glucose tolerance test & a fasted glucose and insulin test. You can also test pancreatic beta cell function

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/n.../IISenTest.asp

To increase insulin sensitivity
    - exercise
    - take fish oil, cinnamon, chromium, ala
    * ʍǝɹɔ ǝıssnɐ *

Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    The quick and dirty test for insulin sensitivity is, on an empty stomach, eat a bunch of carbs. Do you feel tired, sluggish, and bloated, or do you feel energized. If the former, then probably insulin resistant, if the latter, then probably insulin sensitive. I don't know about the niacin and I'm not going to look it up now. Your other option is a test from a Dr or a lab.

Also, remember that exercise itself improves insulin sensitivity, as does losing weight.

Follow up questions?
    Thanks, a "homemade test" like this was exactly was I was looking for. So what food would fit that test? Would milk and lots of cereal and oats do its job?

I just noticed how small you are... I hope to God you are a man. If you are, EAT SOME ****ING FOOD!

Also someone could tell you all the great advice in the world, but it wouln't work for YOU!!!! You, me and the next person are not the same. Just like you said... what works for one person doesn't work for the next. So stop looking for an easy out... and you just have to figure ths **** out on your own.

aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just noticed how small you are... I hope to God you are a man. If you are, EAT SOME ****ING FOOD!

Also someone could tell you all the great advice in the world, but it wouln't work for YOU!!!! You, me and the next person are not the same. Just like you said... what works for one person doesn't work for the next. So stop looking for an easy out... and you just have to figure ths **** out on your own.
    x2.

Who even cares? Just eat and enjoy yourself? I'd see a psychologist before you see the endocrinologist.

You could probably attribute your tiredness to lack of sleep, stress, caffeine dependency, insomnia, etc...not insulin sensitivity lol.
    I can resist everything except temptation.

Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000)
    A)

/thread
    this this this. I cycle my nutrition monthly. This month, I went vegetarian. Next month, going no dairy, but back to meat. I cycle foods and times of eating to monitor food thermogenics, how I feel, energy, etc.

Originally Posted by aer_vlad View Post
    x2.

Who even cares? Just eat and enjoy yourself? I'd see a psychologist before you see the endocrinologist.

You could probably attribute your tiredness to lack of sleep, stress, caffeine dependency, insomnia, etc...not insulin sensitivity lol.
    I must have worded the question wrong then, since I wasn't implying insulin sensitivity was the culprit for all of this. I was merely trying to figure how you'd be able to tell beforehand whether your body "prefers" fats or carbs, in regards to its response be it mood and energy or body composition.

I was never suggesting, or at least tried not to, that I have a problem with insulin sensitivity, since I doubt that, as well.

I again acknowledge the trial and error argument, though, but the reason I'm asking all of this is, like I already mentioned, for someone to maybe give some advice and steer my in some direction based on what I've written. I know that in the end that direction may be wrong and that I may have to choose another way, but since it's a message board, why not try asking?
    Last edited by EmperorRyker; 07-27-2009 at 01:19 PM.