TrojanHorse0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How intense should HIIT be?

Hi guys,

First HIIT session today but I just wanted to know how intense I should be when running?

I weigh 105kg at 6ft0 so I am quite overweight and found it really intense but quite happy when I finished 5-10m of it.

I ran 15km for 30s then slowed to 7km for 90s and then repeated.

I found that I could go up to 16.5 but I was just rather scared I might make a slight mistake and fall off or something. So I figure I would go up in slight increments every time I do HIIT (I plan on finishing my workouts with them now).

As I walked out it felt like I could breathe slightly more? Like a slight burning sensation but in a positive way. Should I have been running even faster? By the time I walked home there was definitely a lot of oxygen debt and some coughing/wheezing.

Can anyone also help me understand what speeds I should aim for? Like what would be considered to be fit or very fit? 20? or more?

Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MuscleTech Supporter

APC/GPA, SPF 220
    http://americanpowerliftingcommittee-usa.com/
    Raw 216lbs bw
    Meet#/Gym#
    Squat 660bs/700lbs
    Bench 405lbs/415lbs
    DL 650/same

GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The actual speed you run means nothing. It's what speed gets YOUR heart rate up to about 160-180 bpm.

I sprint on 11 mph for 1 minute (18kph) then down to 6mph (9.5kph) for 2 minutes and do that for about 20 minutes.

The target is to get your heart rate up between 160-180 bpm then back down to about 100-120 bpm.

Eventually you will be able to run faster as you get more comfortable on the treadmill. Sometimes I use telephone poles if I go outside. Sprint for 1 pole, jog for 2.
    "Where there is gains, there is life."

Gandhi

Originally Posted by GhandiGains View Post
    The actual speed you run means nothing. It's what speed gets YOUR heart rate up to about 160-180 bpm.

I sprint on 11 mph for 1 minute (18kph) then down to 6mph (9.5kph) for 2 minutes and do that for about 20 minutes.

The target is to get your heart rate up between 160-180 bpm then back down to about 100-120 bpm.

Eventually you will be able to run faster as you get more comfortable on the treadmill. Sometimes I use telephone poles if I go outside. Sprint for 1 pole, jog for 2.

Thanks man. How exactly is it you know your heart rate? I know mine was through the roof, but is it best buying like an Apple watch or something to keep track?

Also, why has the guy above me trolled me? Is it a stupid question? Besides, jokes on him, that's one of my favorite songs at the gym.

GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really gets your heart thumping doesn't it? The treadmills at my gym have hand grips with monitors built in, but investing in a wrist or chest heart rate monitor could be a good investment. Pick the speed you want your jogging to be every time (7kph), but every two week increase your sprint speed by 1 kph.

No, not a stupid question.
    "Where there is gains, there is life."

Gandhi

Really gets your heart thumping doesn't it? The treadmills at my gym have hand grips with monitors built in, but investing in a wrist or chest heart rate monitor could be a good investment. Pick the speed you want your jogging to be every time (7kph), but every two week increase your sprint speed by 1 kph.

No, not a stupid question.
    Definitely. You can feel the burn after but its very different to lifting weights and makes a decent change.

One question I have is how long should my sessions be and how do you structure it?

Right now I do 30s max 90s jog but how many times do I repeat that?

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TrojanHorse0 View Post
    Hi guys,

First HIIT session today but I just wanted to know how intense I should be when running?
    HIIT Intensity

You need to push your heart rate to 75% of your Heart Rate Max or higher.

Calculating Heart Rate Max

220 - 18 (Your age) = 202 Beat Per Minute is your Heart Rate Max

Doing The Math

202 your Heart Rate Max X 75% = 151.5 Beat Per Minutes Minute or higher is where you need to be.

I weigh 105kg at 6ft0 so I am quite overweight and found it really intense but quite happy when I finished 5-10m of it.
    Ease Into It

You want to gradually ease into it.

You'll find at this point in your training, it doesn't take much to get your heart rate in to the target zone.

I ran 15km for 30s then slowed to 7km for 90s and then repeated.

I found that I could go up to 16.5 but I was just rather scared I might make a slight mistake and fall off or something. So I figure I would go up in slight increments every time I do HIIT (I plan on finishing my workouts with them now).

As I walked out it felt like I could breathe slightly more? Like a slight burning sensation but in a positive way. Should I have been running even faster?

Can anyone also help me understand what speeds I should aim for? Like what would be considered to be fit or very fit? 20? or more?
    Running Is NOT Necessary

As GhandiGains stated, what matters is you heart rate, not the speed you are running.

With that said, you do NOT need to run/jog unless you want to.

Walking Into The "HIIT Target Zone

You can push your heart rate into the "HIIT Target Zone" by elevating the treadmill incline.

Research On Incline Walking vs Jogging

Research shows a speed of 4.8km/3.5 mph walking is more demanding that jogging.

Thus, you are able to drive you heart rate up by using the incline on the treadmill.

The incline on most treadmills goes up to 15%, which will definitely drive your heart rate into the "HIIT Target Zone".

This takes us back to "Ease Into It". If you decide to use the incline, start off with a 3% Incline and see how that works.

HIIT Walking Program Example

Instead of varying you speed by running and walking, your going change the "HIIT" intensity by increasing and decreasing the incline on the treadmill.

Walk at 5km/about 3 mph. To reiterate, do NOT change the speed on the treadmills.

1) "Sprint Walk" Set 1: 3% Incline X 30 Seconds

2) "Recovery Walk Set 1: 0% Incline (lower the incline) X 90 Seconds

3) "Sprint Walk" Set 2: 3% Incline X 30 Seconds

4) "Recovery Walk Set 2: 0% Incline (lower the incline) X 90 Seconds

5) "Sprint Walk" Set 3: 3% Incline X 30 Seconds

6) "Recovery Walk Set 3: 0% Incline (lower the incline) X 90 Seconds

7) "Sprint Walk" Set 4: 3% Incline X 30 Seconds

8) "Recovery Walk Set 4: 0% Incline (lower the incline) X 90 Seconds

By the time I walked home there was definitely a lot of oxygen debt and some coughing/wheezing.
    Coughing/Wheezing

This is an indication that you have push it into the upper limits.

This is NOT a good thing for a beginner!

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC

EPOC is one of the reasons that HIIT is effective method of increasing your metabolism, burning body fat.

Metaphorically speaking, you over charge your "Metabolic Credit Card". Just as with traditional credit cards, you end up paying back the oxygen debt with interest.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 09-03-2016 at 06:18 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TrojanHorse0 View Post
    Definitely. You can feel the burn after but its very different to lifting weights and makes a decent change.
    HIIT Weight Training

You can obtain the same results from weight training by with Circuit Training.

One question I have is how long should my sessions be and how do you structure it?

Right now I do 30s max 90s jog but how many times do I repeat that?
    Length of HIIT Session

There are a variety of HIIT Method with different lengths.

1) The Tabata Protocol: 4 minutes total training time. 8-20 second sprints with 8-10 second recovery periods.

2) Sprint 8: This is what you are presently doing. 8-30 second sprints with 8-90 second recover periods. Total training time is 16 minutes.

3) Sprint 3: 3-20 second sprints with 3-2 minute recovery periods. Total training time is 7 minutes.

All of the above method are effective.

Kenny Croxdale

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)

That's good pace
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Melis689 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You sprint for a minute?!

I usually just do 20 secs with 40 secs at moderate pace. I usually do this with sprints, or on the elliptical or spin bike and repeat about 10-12 times. Doesn't matter how fast you're going OP, just get your heart rate up to about 170-80ish and then back down during recovery periods.

Originally Posted by Melis689 View Post
    You sprint for a minute?!

I usually just do 20 secs with 40 secs at moderate pace. I usually do this with sprints, or on the elliptical or spin bike and repeat about 10-12 times. Doesn't matter how fast you're going OP, just get your heart rate up to about 170-80ish and then back down during recovery periods.
    Determinate Factor of Intensity

Your recommendation of getting your heart rate into the 170 - 180 bpm and GhandiGains' 160 -180 bpm falls into the parameters.

However, the optimal method in determining the intensity is for an individual to calculate their percentage of Heart Rate Max.

Calculating TrojanHorse0 Training Intensity

Based on "Doing The Math" in Post 7, approximately 152 bpm or higher would work.

While pushing the heart rate higher does increase EPOC (post metabolic rate), pushing it to 170 bpm is not necessary.

To individualize you heart rate training, the most optimal method is...

The Karvonen Heart Rate Calculator
    http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm

This allows you to take into consideration you cardiovascular fitness along with your age.

Kenny Croxdale