skinnylove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Started (CKD) KETO DIET 6 DAYS AGO - NOT IN KETOSIS. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Hi there! So I'm a noob, I guess you could say, and I've been wanting to lose a lot of fat for a while now but nothing has worked. So I researched and decided to take up the Keto diet.
    It is Saturday and I have been on it since Monday. I have ketostix, and I have not tested positive for ketones at ALL. It's been negative the whole time. I'm following the diet to a tee! (Except last night, I drank at a club, but I had a rockstar vodka light with no carbohydrates and a few other drinks that were just gin&tonic's and vodka and tonic - nothing sugary!)

I am 19, 130 pounds, and I'm not looking for strength, I do 15 reps of most exercises to try and get lean and tone.

I weight lift 3-4 times a week.
    Monday - Shoulders and back and abs
    Wednesday - Legs & Chest (sometimes move the Chest to a day in between)
    Friday - Tri's and Bi's
    And I do cardio in the in between days, or sometimes a bit on the days when I weight lift. Like intervals on the treadmill, or a bit of cycling, or stairmaster.

How I'm eating?
    I have been having 20 g of carbs or less per day.
    High fat and moderate protein.
    I looked it up and I'm having about 100 g of protein or a bit more per day.
    And for fat it said 89 g, but I go a little over sometimes, as it's hard to get right on.

Example:
    Wake up/Breakfast - Scrambled eggs of about 2 egg whites/2 whole eggs or somtimes I do 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs. with marble cheddar cheese on it. and 2-4 Slices of Turkey Bacon

I eat lots of turkey slim pepperettes for snacks, cheese, cold cuts like tomato basil turkey and chicken breast roast and such. Haven't had peanut butter cause I'm scared it won't help me.

I have Dole's spring mix lettuce by itself with Renee's wellness yogurt dressing like roasted garlic or peppercorn ranch (like 4 - 4.5 g of fat and 1 g of carbs per tbsp, 0.3 g of protein) and sometimes I put chicken breast in it.
    Or I eat angus burger without the bun, and some cheese.
    Or if I wanted something a bit greasy (kinda gross) I have the top dog hot dogs with some melted cheese.
    As you can see, I'm not eating many carbs at all
    I'm not losing weight
    And I'm testing negative for ketones...
    WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????????
    So frustrating! It's been 6 days!!!!!!!

MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Throw away the ketostix's, no need for them.

Try to eat alittle more protein, and the rest all fat. If you are truly eating less than 20 net carbs you should be going into keto very soon, it takes some people a bit, thats why its good to stay on it with no carbups for at least 2 weeks to let you body get use to it.

You need to track your calories and make sure your not eating too much or too little. You need to aim for burning 500 calories more than your eating to start losing weight, also you should start losing water weight as well without having carbs.

Make sure you are getting fiber at least around 20+ g's a day, thats a key to get the waste out which will carry some weight as well.
    Last edited by MdFitness; 07-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there! I think that everything looks just about right but I would up your fat because when the body thinks it is not getting enough fat it will hold onto it. I am in the same range as u and my macros work very well for me. I'm 18, about 5' 3" and depending on the day normally around 133. It took me around 16 days to get into ketosis so it differs for many people, but i wouldn't worry about it because u don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight, just need a deficit.
    My macros:
    Calories: Maintenance: 2,025
    Cut: 1,525
    Protein: 114g
    Fat: 110g
    Carbs: 19g
    "Pain is temporary... quitting lasts forever"-Lance Armstrong :)

"I get nervous before leg days" lol

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Livingitup44 View Post
    Hey there! I think that everything looks just about right but I would up your fat because when the body thinks it is not getting enough fat it will hold onto it. I am in the same range as u and my macros work very well for me. I'm 18, about 5' 3" and depending on the day normally around 133. It took me around 16 days to get into ketosis so it differs for many people, but i wouldn't worry about it because u don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight, just need a deficit.
    My macros:
    Calories: Maintenance: 2,025
    Cut: 1,525
    Protein: 114g
    Fat: 110g
    Carbs: 19g
    This is good advice. First thing I noticed was that calories were a little low... 89*9+100*4+20*4=1281 calories. At 130 lbs around 1550 is a good starting point (body weight * 12). I know it's counter intuitive but I have seen studies that show on ketogenic diets, comparing 1700 cal/day vs 2100 cal/day, those consuming more calories actually lost the same (slightly more) weight. These were overweight women but still demonstrates that running huge deficits on keto is not necessary for weight loss.

queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give yourself time. At least two weeks. Also given your size your body is probably using the ketones instead of pissing it out. That is another good thing.

Originally Posted by queloque View Post
    Give yourself time. At least two weeks. Also given your size your body is probably using the ketones instead of pissing it out. That is another good thing.
    I used ketostix this morning and it came out darker pink! Moderate test for ketones... and that's the first time I've seen a positive test for ketones all week!! But the thing is, isn't everyone normally in ketosis after sleeping for a long time? since you're not eating?

Thanks for your help! I'll see what happens... really need to lose this stubborn fat

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by skinnylove View Post
    I used ketostix this morning and it came out darker pink! Moderate test for ketones... and that's the first time I've seen a positive test for ketones all week!! But the thing is, isn't everyone normally in ketosis after sleeping for a long time? since you're not eating?
    Congrats, and welcome to ketosis!

Don't forget, there are no varying levels of ketosis, either you're in it or you're not, darker colors on the stick don't mean a "higher level" of ketosis.

As far as in the morning ketosis, I've heard that mentioned, but I've never - ever tested pos for ketones unless I was in the diet for at least a couple of days. I wish I could get into ketosis from just a good nights sleep, that would be awesome. My understanding is that because of hormone levels, you're actually less likely to test pos in the mornings.

Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Congrats, and welcome to ketosis!

Don't forget, there are no varying levels of ketosis, either you're in it or you're not, darker colors on the stick don't mean a "higher level" of ketosis.

As far as in the morning ketosis, I've heard that mentioned, but I've never - ever tested pos for ketones unless I was in the diet for at least a couple of days. I wish I could get into ketosis from just a good nights sleep, that would be awesome. My understanding is that because of hormone levels, you're actually less likely to test pos in the mornings.
    I have been on this keto diet for a week today, and I just tested positive according to the ketostix, so it did take me a while to get into ketosis, but after several tries and negative results, the first time it came out positive was when I first woke up after a very long sleep (weekend), so I'm really happy! I hope it stays this way

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been on this keto diet for a week today, and I just tested positive according to the ketostix, so it did take me a while to get into ketosis, but after several tries and negative results, the first time it came out positive was when I first woke up after a very long sleep (weekend), so I'm really happy! I hope it stays this way
    If you want to use the ketostix, try testing for ketones in the evening. That makes a difference for me.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It is possible you were in keto for a few days before it ever registered on the stick.

ssaarrkk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why are you drinking alcohol on a keto? That will throw you right out of keto.

redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ssaarrkk View Post
    Why are you drinking alcohol on a keto? That will throw you right out of keto.
    And you said you drank tonic...that is pretty much liquid carbs.

http://www.nutrientfacts.com/searchf...rm=Tonic+Water

You pretty much drank about a hundred carbs! They make carb free diet tonic but they don't serve it in bars. If you have to drink, mix your booze with diet soda or drink it straight.

Originally Posted by redheadlaw7 View Post
    And you said you drank tonic...that is pretty much liquid carbs.

You pretty much drank about a hundred carbs! They make carb free diet tonic but they don't serve it in bars. If you have to drink, mix your booze with diet soda or drink it straight.
    WHAT! I read that whole forum and drinking and they kept talking about how the alcohol has no carbs and tonic water or clear liquids are okay, not sugary drinks to mix, and that people that didn't drink on a diet compared to those who drank did not have significant more weight loss and that it was pretty much the same.

Crap. haha Well I've still been testing positive on the ketostix, but I don't think I've lost much weight at all, I think a pound if I'm lucky, but people seem to lose weight like crazy on keto... is my body really that stubborn to lose the fat?
    Should I stop eating so much cheese? (even on keto, i heard there are some things that slow down progress)

Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Livingitup44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if u must have ur alcohol have a little at ur carb ups but don't go crazy. As for the super quick weight loss.....it's just water weight because you got rid of all the carbs from ur system. The ketogenic diet does not necessarily cause more rapid fat loss than other diets, personally I enjoy eating the fats and no carbs, but really if I did a solid clean diet the results would most likely be the same. The lower your BF% gets the harder it is going to be to lose it. My stats are generally close to yours and I have lost a consistent 1 lb per week. It is going to take time, but consistency is key and the results will be worth the wait
    "Pain is temporary... quitting lasts forever"-Lance Armstrong :)

"I get nervous before leg days" lol

Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Atropa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    alcohol is not carbs not like we think of them most of the time. However alcohol jacks your glucouse levels up, it is taken in my the body and metabolized exacly like a simple sugar is.

redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redheadlaw7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WHAT! I read that whole forum and drinking and they kept talking about how the alcohol has no carbs and tonic water or clear liquids are okay, not sugary drinks to mix, and that people that didn't drink on a diet compared to those who drank did not have significant more weight loss and that it was pretty much the same.

Crap. haha Well I've still been testing positive on the ketostix, but I don't think I've lost much weight at all, I think a pound if I'm lucky, but people seem to lose weight like crazy on keto... is my body really that stubborn to lose the fat?
    Should I stop eating so much cheese? (even on keto, i heard there are some things that slow down progress)
    Sorry to be the ...excuse the pun...buzzkill. I think that you don't have a lot to lose so don't expect to see huge results really fast. When you see people having 10-12 pound losses right out of the shoot, it's because that person had a high percentage of bodyfat or was a total carbaholic!

And those people were right, hard liquor has no carbs. But I'm not sure where the clear thing came from...unless they meant clear liquors like rum and vodka?

Can you post some of what you've been eating? Are you tracking calories or just carbs?
    Last edited by redheadlaw7; 07-29-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Sorry to be the ...excuse the pun...buzzkill. I think that you don't have a lot to lose so don't expect to see huge results really fast. When you see people having 10-12 pound losses right out of the shoot, it's because that person had a high percentage of bodyfat or was a total carbaholic!

And those people were right, hard liquor has no carbs. But I'm not sure where the clear thing came from...unless they meant clear liquors like rum and vodka?

Can you post some of what you've been eating? Are you tracking calories or just carbs?
    Yeah I'm not really sure, I'm pretty sure they meant clear liquors like vodka or rum, the thing is I didn't know and I drank gin and tonics and vodka tonics but it still appears on ketostix that I'm in ketosis. Today was a bad day. I feel bigger than ever and just pudgy I feel like nothing's happening whatsoever by being on this diet.

I've been tracking everything to a tee. Protein, carb, and fat intake. And I'm taking in from 1250-1500 cals a day depending on my exercising each day, but I stay within 100-120 g of protein, and the rest fat (with some carbs obviously from the salad of greens I have and trace carbs found in natural pb and meats and such)

I pretty much eat the same things everyday.
    In the morning I'll have a big meal so usually 4 eggs (2 egg whites 2 whole) with probably 2 servings of cheese on it, and a couple slices of turkey bacon (depends how hungry I am)!
    I'll usually always have salad with just the greens and a peppercorn or roasted garlic dressing (1 g of carb per tbsp) with some grilled chicken breast cut up in it. Or I'll fry up a burger and just eat it like that with some cheese melted on top. Or eat tomato basil turkey or chicken breast roast cold cuts, etc with cheese.
    I have lean turkey pepperettes for snacking, as well as sometimes I take a spoonful of natural peanut butter, or a handful of walnut halves(lots of fibre), or I eat babybel mini cheese things. If I have a chocolate craving for granola/chocolate chips, I eat the Atkins diet advantage bars which say they have 2-3 g of Atkins net carbs, and it doesn't seem to put me out of ketosis so I have them.
    I also looked up the low carb keto peanut butter cups you make yourself at home and I've been snacking on those but theyre big so I usually only have half of it and put it back in the freezer.
    That's pretty much all I've been eating!

I'm so confused, I just don't feel like I'm making any progress. I look at some people's bodies on here and they did a ketogenic diet and they're ripped! I'm just like WOW. I don't think I can look like that.

Yeah I'm not really sure, I'm pretty sure they meant clear liquors like vodka or rum, the thing is I didn't know and I drank gin and tonics and vodka tonics but it still appears on ketostix that I'm in ketosis. Today was a bad day. I feel bigger than ever and just pudgy I feel like nothing's happening whatsoever by being on this diet.

I've been tracking everything to a tee. Protein, carb, and fat intake. And I'm taking in from 1250-1500 cals a day depending on my exercising each day, but I stay within 100-120 g of protein, and the rest fat (with some carbs obviously from the salad of greens I have and trace carbs found in natural pb and meats and such)

I pretty much eat the same things everyday.
    In the morning I'll have a big meal so usually 4 eggs (2 egg whites 2 whole) with probably 2 servings of cheese on it, and a couple slices of turkey bacon (depends how hungry I am)!
    I'll usually always have salad with just the greens and a peppercorn or roasted garlic dressing (1 g of carb per tbsp) with some grilled chicken breast cut up in it. Or I'll fry up a burger and just eat it like that with some cheese melted on top. Or eat tomato basil turkey or chicken breast roast cold cuts, etc with cheese.
    I have lean turkey pepperettes for snacking, as well as sometimes I take a spoonful of natural peanut butter, or a handful of walnut halves(lots of fibre), or I eat babybel mini cheese things. If I have a chocolate craving for granola/chocolate chips, I eat the Atkins diet advantage bars which say they have 2-3 g of Atkins net carbs, and it doesn't seem to put me out of ketosis so I have them.
    I also looked up the low carb keto peanut butter cups you make yourself at home and I've been snacking on those but theyre big so I usually only have half of it and put it back in the freezer.
    That's pretty much all I've been eating!

I'm so confused, I just don't feel like I'm making any progress. I look at some people's bodies on here and they did a ketogenic diet and they're ripped! I'm just like WOW. I don't think I can look like that.
    Do not...I repeat...DO NOT eat the Atkins Advantage bars. They are loaded with glycerine. This does not have to be counted in the carbs on the label. It causes stalls. Seriously. I have tried every shortcut on this diet and have researched this stuff and trust me...on EVERY low carb forum people piss and moan about this. It is frankenfood to begin with, and secondly the labeling is unfair and deceptive.

Do not...I repeat...DO NOT eat the Atkins Advantage bars. They are loaded with glycerine. This does not have to be counted in the carbs on the label. It causes stalls. Seriously. I have tried every shortcut on this diet and have researched this stuff and trust me...on EVERY low carb forum people piss and moan about this. It is frankenfood to begin with, and secondly the labeling is unfair and deceptive.
    Really?! Wow.. Okay yeah definitely not eating those anymore. lol
    My bodys already stubborn enough and nothing's changing. Today at the doctor's they weighed me in and I was a pound heavier (could be because it was later on in the day but that still means I haven't really lost much weight)...Not happy!
    Other than that I guess I should lower my cals even more
    Thanks alot!

modernvalkyrie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Check the carb content of cheese, some can have about 2g per serve...and if you're having a big serve then it'll knock out ketosis. Also try MCT oil or Coconut oil. These are medium chain triglycerides which put your body into ketosis alot faster and easier due to their chemical structure. No need to recalculate your cals, just cook a couple of meals in a tablespoon or 2 of coconut oil. or add some MCT oil to shakes. I'm doing keto at the mo too :-). Your ratios sound right for what you're doing. definitely lay off the alcohol and coffee if you can. Anything that causes an insulin spike, regardless of whether its high carb or not, there are some things which spike insulin. Also too, I've found that pee testing is lagged. Eg I can have a coffee mid morning and show mid morning pee in ketosis, but mid afternoon pee is out of ketosis. After my high fat mid afternoon snack and dinner at about 7pm I'm back into ketosis again and stay there all night until about midday the next day after the coffee has kicked me out again. damn...must give up that coffee. Don't worry about your egg whites, just go eggs all out, the ratio per meal should follow your overall ratio which sounds like a 70/30 fat/protein split (approx) if you add egg whites then your per meal ratio may shift to a 50/50 which may push you out of ketosis. In general every day you want the ratio to be higher fat in all cases, if its too high in protein then body just starts converting this to glucose. Your grams of food 94g fat...100g protein?...was that right ? Only equates to about 1200 - 1400 cals per day, may not be enough calories?? The thing with keto is that we're mimicking a state of fasting....not starvation, so by increasing the cals to at least 1500 we're keeping metabolism up. fasting in this state will burn fat, starvation will burn protein + fat and the proteins burnt will kick you out of ketosis. You're right about peanut butter, too many carbs...pay attention to nuts also, cashews are very high carb per serve. Make sure your protein powder is zero carb also :-). :-) :-)
    You will never know if you've hit the finish line until you step over it. Till then...don't stop.