chriscbr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hamstrings sore after deadlift?

I just started doing dead's last week, I do it on my back day. The last two times I have done dead's my hamstrings have been pretty sore the next day. I know the legs are involved in the lift, but my hamstrings are just as sore as my back after. I am worried I am doing the lift improperly. Sorry I do not have a video of myself doing the lift, but I am curious if this is normal or not?

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chriscbr View Post
    I just started doing dead's last week, I do it on my back day. The last two times I have done dead's my hamstrings have been pretty sore the next day. I know the legs are involved in the lift, but my hamstrings are just as sore as my back after. I am worried I am doing the lift improperly. Sorry I do not have a video of myself doing the lift, but I am curious if this is normal or not?
    You may be doing too much a version of the SL deadlift instead of the regular deadlift. That means you are probably bending over too far and not bending your knees far enough.
    Time To Re-Schedule

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, you may be doing more of a RDL than a DL. Check the deadlifting 101 sticky, and work on your form.

I've read and watched dozens of instructional videos.

I guess I just have to get someone to watch me do it and correct me on my form, because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not.

Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vic_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read and watched dozens of instructional videos.

I guess I just have to get someone to watch me do it and correct me on my form, because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not.
    Yeah, either post a video of you doing the lift so we can critique it, or just ask a trainer at your gym for advice. Do you keep a straight back and get as parallel as possible with your quads?

I try to keep my back straight throughout the lift, yes.

I don't get what you mean by the second question though? What is suppose to be parallel to my quads? And at what part of the lift?

Registered User TheKingOfCleans's Avatar
    TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKingOfCleans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He's asking if you're getting your butt down at the bottom or if it stays up.

I try to keep it up. However sometimes I notice that I tend to lower the weight in more of a 'squat'. But I've been trying to correct this and I thought the last time I did dead's that I did a good job with my form.

mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I try to keep it up. However sometimes I notice that I tend to lower the weight in more of a 'squat'. But I've been trying to correct this and I thought the last time I did dead's that I did a good job with my form.
    if your butt is up, your legs might be too stiff and it becomes more of a stiff legged dl. i was going to say it can be common to feel hamstring soreness if you first started, dl will target your whole posterior chain, alot of people also neglect hammies, so it's not uncommon for weak hammies to be targeted the most.

Registered User Myspacebarbroke's Avatar
    Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myspacebarbroke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get a good trainer or an experienced buddy to check your form. The beauty of deadlifts is that wherever you have a weakness the DOMS will point it out! I get sore at the traps mysel.
    PERSONAL BESTS
    1.5 Miles (7:58)
    100 Burpees (5:35)
    1x 1 arm chinup with either arm
    3x 1 arm divebomber pushups
    3x Triple clap pushups (consecutive)
    375lb Deadlift
    -----------------------------------------
    Your only overtraining if your always tired & grumpy, your poundages go down, you lose muscle in spite of training & diet.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/get_bigger_by_doing_less

hmm.. Well I know my lower body is lacking, especially the hammies. Next time I'll ask a trainer just to quickly give me some tips when I do deads. Thanks guys.

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hmm.. Well I know my lower body is lacking, especially the hammies. Next time I'll ask a trainer just to quickly give me some tips when I do deads. Thanks guys.
    for sure your hips are too high in the starting position and youre doing stiff leg deadlifts

redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10) redbird_is is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What size plates are you using? If they're too small you may be more inclined to end up in an SLDL position.

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    there's nothing unusual about that at all and since you just started doing them it's even more expected. deads are a compound lift that involve many muscle groups and hams/hips/glutes play a huge role in getting the bar off the ground and past the knees so you should be sore there as well. lol @ the form nazis in this thread thinking there is something wrong with sore hams in a deadlift.
    Last edited by Al Swearengen; 07-25-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get the same soreness in my hams if I do deads after a long break from them. I'd say it's a normal soreness and nothing to be worried about.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ramrod63 View Post
    for sure your hips are too high in the starting position and youre doing stiff leg deadlifts
    How are you sure his hips are too high?

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    lol @ the form nazis in this thread thinking there is something wrong with sore hams in a deadlift.
    I don't think form nazi is applicable here, since correct form will still likely give one some hamstring soreness. I think the term you are looking for is "dum-dums."
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    there's nothing unusual about that at all and since you just started doing them it's even more expected. deads are a compound lift that involve many muscle groups and hams/hips/glutes play a huge role in getting the bar off the ground and past the knees so you should be sore there as well. lol @ the form nazis in this thread thinking there is something wrong with sore hams in a deadlift.
    Thanks for this post. I was almost positive I was doing the deads properly.
    Last edited by chriscbr; 07-26-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Lovin' Thickums since '88 Cheesin's Avatar
    Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deadlifts target the legs and hams just as much as the lower back. I do them on leg/lower body day anyway.

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    How are you sure his hips are too high?
    good point, might be wrong but i find almost all beginners dont get their hips low enough and pull like if theyre doing something in between a DL and SLDL

emkoravo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cheesin View Post
    Deadlifts target the legs and hams just as much as the lower back. I do them on leg/lower body day anyway.
    Same here, I do romanian deadlifts for my leg routine. I will alternate between squats and deadlifts for the majority of my routine and finish off with more isolated movements. But because they are compound lifts they can be included into core days, back days and leg days. I enjoy them the most on my leg days tho