Thread: Chewy?

IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Chewy?

After reading how people mix oatmeal w/a scoop of protein powder I finally decided to do it this morning for breakfast. 40g oatmeal in water, 1 scoop GNC Vanilla whey and 1 tbls Skippy peanut butter. I cooked the oatmeal in the microwave, when it was cooked I added the whey and PB and a splenda packet (and a bit more hot water to mix it up). Now, the protein didn't dissolve completely and clumped up into small little bits, which when eaten feel very chewy (or more so than just plain oatmeal). Its an interesting texture and one I am not sure I could deal with all the time. It tastes pretty good but it doesn't have a good mouth feel. Did I do it wrong? I still have 1/3 of my concoction sitting in the cup and I can't bring myself to eat it. And I ALWAYS finish what's on my plate.

Thanks chicas!
    Irene

MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyosinNActin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If the oatmeal is still hot when you mix the protein in it will most definitely clump up...it sucks I know. I used to make my oatmeal and just pour a scoop of my whey in and it would clump up and it was disgusting. I'd wait til it was fully cooled....i havent tried it that way because cold oatmeal isnt appealing to me, but if your just making up a mix then you could try and see how it goes
    ~Sarah~
    "Be the best you can be: the strongest, the most fit, the fastest and the bravest"

I'm NOT single

BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabyBel2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When i changed the flavour of my whey it started to clump so what i do now is, put a scoop of whey in a small cup and add a few drops of water so i makes a thick paste when mixed together and then scrape the paste into the cooked oats and mix! No clumps
    You can't polish a turd!

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've never had my protein powder clump up in oats like that. Maybe you should try another brand...

Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've often wondered why so many mix the powder into the oatmeal at all.

I just make a shake (w/water) and then eat my oatmeal (w/a few berries) in its "natural" state --- this way I have a beverage AND a bowl of oatmeal
    *Obssession is a word the weak use to describe the dedicated

*That which does not kill me ... only makes me stronger!

IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IrkyMoto has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always wondered why people do it too! And this morning I decided to find out why...After my "interesting" breakfast I'm still not sure...hehe!

Maybe I will try another whey, but I've grown very fond of the GNC Vanilla. It mixes great in my shaker bottle and tastes very milky and yummy (like vanilla milk) and less like "whey". Since I still have a lot left I may just stick to whey + water and oatmeal +peanut butter in a separate bowl like Zenree said.

I still plan on making oatmeal w/egg whites IN the oatmeal (like many talk about) and those microwave protein pancake things where you mix egg whites and whey and some other stuff.

Oh, and I made the cottage cheese + instant jello pudding + little bit of water thing in a blender (found it on clutchfitness.com) and people were talking about it like it was crack. Maybe I used the wrong jello flavor (butterscotch) but I am having a hard time eating that concoction too.

Irene

WNSO Pro Fitness Model ms_proteinshake's Avatar
    ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50) ms_proteinshake will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just add the protein powder AFTER my oatmeal is cooked, and mix a bit of unsweetened almond breeze in with it. Give it a creamy texture.
    My Quick, Healthy & Fitness Friendly Recipes
    www.busybuthealthy.com
    ********.com/busybuthealthy

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    Am I the only one who adds the protein powder beforehand? If you add hot water to the protein + oatmeal, mix it up, and then nuke it, it won't clump.

starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've never had a clumping problem with my oatmeal. I usually add 1 scoop of ON casein or BSN Lean Dessert, making sure to add enough extra water (it needs quite a bit). One option would be for you to mix the protein with a little warm water first, making a thick shake, then adding it to the oatmeal rather than dumping in the powder.

jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jsmircich has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    Am I the only one who adds the protein powder beforehand? If you add hot water to the protein + oatmeal, mix it up, and then nuke it, it won't clump.
    No you're not the only one. This is what I do when I bring it to work. I'll have my oats and protien already mixed, so all I need to do is add water, stir, and microwave.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal, nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas Jefferson

Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by motovilova View Post
    I always wondered why people do it too! And this morning I decided to find out why...After my "interesting" breakfast I'm still not sure...hehe!

Maybe I will try another whey, but I've grown very fond of the GNC Vanilla. It mixes great in my shaker bottle and tastes very milky and yummy (like vanilla milk) and less like "whey". Since I still have a lot left I may just stick to whey + water and oatmeal +peanut butter in a separate bowl like Zenree said.

I still plan on making oatmeal w/egg whites IN the oatmeal (like many talk about) and those microwave protein pancake things where you mix egg whites and whey and some other stuff.

Oh, and I made the cottage cheese + instant jello pudding + little bit of water thing in a blender (found it on clutchfitness.com) and people were talking about it like it was crack. Maybe I used the wrong jello flavor (butterscotch) but I am having a hard time eating that concoction too.

Irene

LOL --- I have had the same results w/a few "concoctions" that others have said are sooooooo yummy -- I'm guessing they hadn't had a "splurge" item in a VERY long time LOL

I'm REALLY starting to have trouble getting the cottage cheese down lately...I mix it w/a little whey and almond butter --- but the texture is really starting to bother me...I guess I could whirl it in the blender to get rid of the "curds" (that word is really gross, too) but I'd hate to have to wash the blender ...yet again - yeah, I'm that lazy LOL

iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jsmircich View Post
    No you're not the only one. This is what I do when I bring it to work. I'll have my oats and protien already mixed, so all I need to do is add water, stir, and microwave.
    I add it before I cook it too and the only time I have problems with clumping is if I didn't completely mix it before putting in the microwave. I use ON 100 WHEY in vanilla and it has those "isolates" that help it dissolve so that might help too. I also use milk to make my oatmeal unless I am out of it ... then I use water. Either way I don't have issues.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Zenree View Post

I'm REALLY starting to have trouble getting the cottage cheese down lately...I mix it w/a little whey and almond butter --- but the texture is really starting to bother me...I guess I could whirl it in the blender to get rid of the "curds" (that word is really gross, too) but I'd hate to have to wash the blender ...yet again - yeah, I'm that lazy LOL
    Get your protein from another source. Problem solved.

LOL --- I have had the same results w/a few "concoctions" that others have said are sooooooo yummy -- I'm guessing they hadn't had a "splurge" item in a VERY long time LOL

Sometimes I make a concoction that to ME tastes great, but my fiance will refuse to eat it. Like my tuna/salsa/cottage cheese mix. Its yummy, but he won't go there.

As far as the cottage cheese, I find that mixing 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 1/2 6oz container greek yogurt makes the mixture very creamy and less cottage cheese-y. BUT, I only use Friendship cottage cheese, it is less slimy than other cottage cheeses, its thicker and more solid. I bet a little honey on the cottage cheese/greek yogurt mixture would be amazing, but since I usually don't have the calories (or the honey on hand) I just put some splenda. I personally find the cottage cheese and peanut butter mix to be horrible, so I bet the almond butter is very similar. Give my mix a chance, maybe you'll love cottage cheese all over again! Oh, and stop having it every day. Sometimes having the same stuff every day will make you hate a food you once liked. You gotta have variety!

Irene

12weekhardbody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Put an ice cube or two in the oatmeal to cool it BEFORE you put the whey in.
    FIT in one hand, WANT in the other

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    Get your protein from another source. Problem solved.
    True Amanda - I typically eat this as my bedtime snack - for the slow-released protein during the night...I actually prefer greek yogurt - but its a bit pricier than the cottage cheese - so I try to do every other night to keep it interesting.

Sometimes I make a concoction that to ME tastes great, but my fiance will refuse to eat it. Like my tuna/salsa/cottage cheese mix. Its yummy, but he won't go there.

As far as the cottage cheese, I find that mixing 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 1/2 6oz container greek yogurt makes the mixture very creamy and less cottage cheese-y. BUT, I only use Friendship cottage cheese, it is less slimy than other cottage cheeses, its thicker and more solid. I bet a little honey on the cottage cheese/greek yogurt mixture would be amazing, but since I usually don't have the calories (or the honey on hand) I just put some splenda. I personally find the cottage cheese and peanut butter mix to be horrible, so I bet the almond butter is very similar. Give my mix a chance, maybe you'll love cottage cheese all over again! Oh, and stop having it every day. Sometimes having the same stuff every day will make you hate a food you once liked. You gotta have variety!

Irene
    Woah, Irene! Your tuna/salsa/cheese thing sounds rough! LOL I can see why your fiance might not "go there" -- I've tried the "savory" mix-ins for cottage cheese ---lets just say I'll never do THAT again.

I do like mixing greek yogurt and cottage cheese --- that definately helps the texture thing for me --- I just prefer the ease of having 1 or the other --- just wished cottage cheese wasn't "curdy"...the taste is fine...its those curds that gross me out :/

lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100) lherman is not very well liked. (-100)

Try switching to fat free ricotta cheese instead. It is smoother in texture and not salty so it mixes with fruit better. It kind of tasts like cheesecake that way. I find that it has about the same calories/protien content as cottage cheese without the curds or salt or fat..

Originally Posted by lherman View Post
    Try switching to fat free ricotta cheese instead. It is smoother in texture and not salty so it mixes with fruit better. It kind of tasts like cheesecake that way. I find that it has about the same calories/protien content as cottage cheese without the curds or salt or fat..
    thanks for the reminder, lherman -- I was eating ricotta for a bit --- I think it has a few more calories than cottage cheese - or a little less protein --- but they are fairly comparable --- and I definately like ricotta -- I'll give that another try

Funny thing is ... i hear very little about ricotta used as a night-time protein --- but cottage cheese is EVERYWHERE! LOL

eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that happened to me before. now, I make a sludge and mix the sludge into the warm oats. haven't had a problem since =)

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What I do is put a little bit of whey powder, eggwhite, unsweetened apple sauce, and yogurt (no more than a tbsp of each) and I notice it makes a big difference in the consistency and flavour. Then again, I always take little short cuts to increase the enjoyment.
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

I do like mixing greek yogurt and cottage cheese --- that definately helps the texture thing for me --- I just prefer the ease of having 1 or the other --- just wished cottage cheese wasn't "curdy"...the taste is fine...its those curds that gross me out :/
    The curds in regular cottage cheese gross me out too! Its this slimy liquid w/weird balls/curds floating around, yuck! Whenever I've bought store brand or any other brand by Friendship I can't stand it. Trust me, if you have Friendship cottage cheese in your supermarket give it a try! The "Whipped 1%" is very thick and creamy, my preference is the 2% with "digestive" stuff...its 90 cal and has like 3 or 4 grams of fiber per serving. You may never go back to your old cottage cheese!

Irene

Funny how the oatmeal thread turned to cottage cheese! Cottage cheese is EVERYWHERE! I see at least 1 thread a day about it...its like the mysterious food that no one knows what to do with.

But, thank you EVERYONE for all your suggestions about the oatmeal. I will give it 1 more try, by making the "sludge" before hand and mixing it into slightly cooled oatmeal. I had to throw out 1/3 of my "chewy" oatmeal this morning because I couldn't handle the chewy clumps. But I will give it 1 more try, after that, its protein shake w/water and oatmeal on the side for me (if it doesn't go well, of course!)

thanks everyone!
    Irene

The curds in regular cottage cheese gross me out too! Its this slimy liquid w/weird balls/curds floating around, yuck! Whenever I've bought store brand or any other brand by Friendship I can't stand it. Trust me, if you have Friendship cottage cheese in your supermarket give it a try! The "Whipped 1%" is very thick and creamy, my preference is the 2% with "digestive" stuff...its 90 cal and has like 3 or 4 grams of fiber per serving. You may never go back to your old cottage cheese!

Irene
    Thanks, Irene -- I'll look for the whipped stuff --- it does sound MUCH better --- why or why must cottage cheese have curds?! LOL