Registered User MagicDrumSticks's Avatar
    MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100)

A personal trainer told me this...

The guy is very experienced too, 10 years in the special forces and it was his major in college plus he has that (forgot name, 1000 dollar certification?) Starts with the letter "I" I believe

Anyway, I've been doing a ketogenic diet lately, a CKD (Cyclical Keto Diet) where you eat very low carbs (5%) and high fats through the week, then on the weekend you "Carb Up"

He told me that while tihs is effective, it's VERY unhealthy and started in bodybuilding where bodybuilders cut out carbs right before contests. He told me to eat 50-70% carbs and the rest is protein and low to moderate fats.

I told him I'm an endomorph and my body hates carbs, that I get fat off them very easily and he said it doesn't matter, it's all about portion control, so yeah I don't know who to believe anymore...

P.S. He also said that eat carbs about 2 hours before workout and then 2 hours after workout with protein.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First problem is you body type if your a true endomorph, you need to hit the weights and get some cardio in since your all fat no muscle .bone or connective tissues.
    Don't know of any cert thats a grand way to much money for a cert.
    Some people do very well on keto diets but most don't. You have to monitor your body very closly until you get the hang of low carbs.
    Hsi carb befdore and after workouts is correct the only thig you should add is protien carb mix before not just carbs preworkout.
    One question comes up, how do you know your body hates carbs?

Makes the boys blush. LittleCharlie's Avatar
    LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittleCharlie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MagicDrumSticks View Post
    The guy is very experienced too, 10 years in the special forces and it was his major in college plus he has that (forgot name, 1000 dollar certification?) Starts with the letter "I" I believe

Anyway, I've been doing a ketogenic diet lately, a CKD (Cyclical Keto Diet) where you eat very low carbs (5%) and high fats through the week, then on the weekend you "Carb Up"

He told me that while tihs is effective, it's VERY unhealthy and started in bodybuilding where bodybuilders cut out carbs right before contests. He told me to eat 50-70% carbs and the rest is protein and low to moderate fats.

I told him I'm an endomorph and my body hates carbs, that I get fat off them very easily and he said it doesn't matter, it's all about portion control, so yeah I don't know who to believe anymore...

P.S. He also said that eat carbs about 2 hours before workout and then 2 hours after workout with protein.
    A good, well rounded diet for a normal person is around 60% carbs. Normal includes most exercisers. Fad diets may get quick results but they are very usually not sustainable and will put you into an early grave.

squats and milk = growth niCe99's Avatar
    niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000) niCe99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i HIGHLY doubt your body "hates" carbs.

I am the same as you. I am an endomorph but also believed that my body "hated" carbs.

Fact is, it is not the actual carbs that is making you fat, its the portion that you eat (ie overeating).

I, as well as many others, tend to over eat on carbohydrate meals (bread/pastas) quite easily because......well just look at a nutrition fact of 2 slices of bread or 1/4 cup of a bowl of pasta. Now times that with the amount that you would realistically eat (i can easily eat 3/4 of a loaf of bread or 3 cups of pasta in one sitting because its just so good )
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9087539#post9087539

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)

Portion control = self discipline

Someone in the special forces for 10 years would have very good self discipline & less problems with portion control than the average person who grabs a pint of Ben & Jerry's at the first sugar craving.

Just though I'd point that out
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your interested in finding out this sort of information for yourself I would check out a book called "The Metabolic Typing Diet By William Wolocott and Trish Fahey"

Try not to worry so much about how much you eat I.E Portion sizes.

If you concentrate more on eating correctly for your type and are geting the right macronutrient profiles you will be satisfied or full up on an average amount of food and you wont eat more because you wont be hungry.

If your eating the wrong food your body cant convert it into energy and thats when its getting converted into fat.

MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100) MagicDrumSticks is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by warrell View Post
    If your interested in finding out this sort of information for yourself I would check out a book called "The Metabolic Typing Diet By William Wolocott and Trish Fahey"

Try not to worry so much about how much you eat I.E Portion sizes.

If you concentrate more on eating correctly for your type and are geting the right macronutrient profiles you will be satisfied or full up on an average amount of food and you wont eat more because you wont be hungry.

If your eating the wrong food your body cant convert it into energy and thats when its getting converted into fat.
    This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Half of the people say it's all about macronutrients and the other half says cals are all that matters (which seems to make more sense)

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Half of the people say it's all about macronutrients and the other half says cals are all that matters (which seems to make more sense)
    Both matter.

However it depends also on the person and the goal when it comes to the "strictness" let's say for nutrition in this instance. Someone purely looking to drop weight, whom doesn't really care about their physique from an aesthetics and "vain" p.o.v etc. can get away with just practising the "calories are all that matters" mentality.

But if you, like many of us guys, are looking to actually do a bit of bodybuilding and wanna pursue physique development as well as worrying purely about a number on a scale, the whole kit n caboodle matters in the grand scheme of things. That's where all the macro % variances and all the little personal tendencies become more important. Fine tuning things in order to bring forward your best body possible.

It's just the context in which one is referring to, that's all. A lot of confusion in this business stems from when people don't explain themselves fully and their perspective in which they're speaking from.
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 07-21-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LittleCharlie View Post
    A good, well rounded diet for a normal person is around 60% carbs. Normal includes most exercisers. Fad diets may get quick results but they are very usually not sustainable and will put you into an early grave.
    i really, really, really, really hope you aren't saying a CKD is a "fad" diet......... really, really, really hope you aren't.
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Certified Precision Nutritionist
    Always be learning.
    Knowledge < Intelligence < Wisdom

martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by niCe99 View Post
    i HIGHLY doubt your body "hates" carbs.

I am the same as you. I am an endomorph but also believed that my body "hated" carbs.

Fact is, it is not the actual carbs that is making you fat, its the portion that you eat (ie overeating).

I, as well as many others, tend to over eat on carbohydrate meals (bread/pastas) quite easily because......well just look at a nutrition fact of 2 slices of bread or 1/4 cup of a bowl of pasta. Now times that with the amount that you would realistically eat (i can easily eat 3/4 of a loaf of bread or 3 cups of pasta in one sitting because its just so good )
    don't forget that carbo's = salivation which=hunger... which =overeating.
    Always be learning.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's when you go and do your own research. Set aside the broscience, and go and do your own research.

Don't trust everything you read on a forum, and don't trust everything told you by people with letters after their name. On the one hand, some people got their qualifications from a PhD, while others got it from a cornflakes packet (not so much in Australia, but certainly in the US). And even the PhDs argue with each-other. So do your own research, and experiment a bit on yourself - try a diet for a month or two, see how you feel, what the tape measure tells you, then try something else.

For research, I googled "effects of macronutrient mix on weight loss gain", and the first link is to an abstract of a paper saying,

Low carbohydrate diets are gaining popularity, however there is no clear consensus regarding their safety and efficacy for weight loss. Proponents of these diet plans advocate dramatic reductions in carbohydrate intake to combat insulin resistance and hyperinsulinaemia, which they claim are responsible for obesity. There are no long-term studies that directly compare the weight loss potential of low versus higher carbohydrate diets. Evidence from randomized controlled trials suggests that low carbohydrate diets may enable short-term weight loss by facilitating reduced energy intakes, however poor dietary compliance may prevent long-term success. Unbalanced nutrient profiles may increase the risk of adverse health consequences in adherents. Low carbohydrate diets should not be recommended at this time due to a lack of adequate long-term follow up data. Successful weight loss occurs through the creation of a sustained energy deficit, and should be achieved through a combination of exercise and a nutritionally balanced and varied diet.
    In other words, "about carbs vs protein vs fats, we don't really know - but we definitely know that if you spend more energy than you consume, you'll lose fat, and if you eat a nice varied diet and exercise you'll be healthy."

Then you see a bunch of other links. And they say different things, but... each time you look at the link, consider the source. Okay, you read an article on bb.com, and bb.com makes money by... supplements sales. So if that article looks at supplements - surprise! surprise! - they tell you supplements are great and we should all have some. Always consider the source. If it's a medical journal, and six papers in medical journals say the same thing, that's good enough for me. "But this guy on a forum said..." Yeah, rightyo. Consider the source.

Do your own research, and use your own judgment.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your diet is the most important part of any program for getting results. Getting the right amount of calories will get you good results. But if you want to get the absolute best results then yes you need to take it one step further and figure out your macro breakdown. Which macro breakdown will work best all depends on the individual. You need to try different ones because it's all about trial and error. As for keto diets I've never been a fan...not for long term. Carbs are a very important part of a diet and they're actually good for you. It's all about finding the right balance of protein, clean carbs and healthy fats.

Good luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

thats a terrible paper... no offense... but low carb diets are insanely "sound" i don't know why/where the paper's authors are saying there aren't any "long term data" thats very humerous.
    Always be learning.

akusokuzan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Come on mah, you're only 19. Eat meat like a tiger and bust your ass in the gym, you have plenty of time to worry about getting fat and all that ****. BTW, don't even think about taking any supps other than normal multi-v, fish oil, and protien. Don't be afraid to eat a pizza or a couple cheezeburgers after a leg/back day either.

warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) warrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is no universally healthy diet that is going to work for everyone! Cutting carbs will work for one person and not another. This is why a friend for example may lose weight on a particular diet whilst you may not.

The trick to metabolic typing is finding out what works for you as an individual! What foods will work for you and in what proportion you should be eating them. The sicence behind metabolic typing is all there and is what most experianced nutrition practitioners are using now. It is also what they teach in the Chek Institute.

Heres a link for you to take a free metabolic typing test https://www.chekconnect.com

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
    thats a terrible paper... no offense... but low carb diets are insanely "sound" i don't know why/where the paper's authors are saying there aren't any "long term data" thats very humerous.
    And this is why you have to go and do your own research.

Random Internet Guy #2,102,767,123 says, "You should do X. Here's a scientific paper explaining why."
    Random Internet Guy #4,108,876,678 says, "Nonsense!" and leaves it at that.

Who to believe?

Do your own research, and use your own judgment.

Thanks guys! I'm going to go ahead and rep all of you for your answers, please return the favor as I need to climb the ladder! LOL

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Internet ?
    because fitness isn't coincidence

Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000)

He's absolutely right about ketogenic diets. They are the worst diets you can go on as its very unhealthy and usually will cause you to lose a lot of muscle and not be able to train as hard as you could.

I will disagree however about the amount of carbs recommended unless that person is a runner or swimmer but he is definitely correct about those keto diets. Stay away from them

josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000)

I am not educated on keto diets so I won't comment on that. But I would say that eating alot of fat is not the best idea. If you honestly feel you put on weight that easily from carbs, do keep in mind one thing; stored carbohydrates (glycogen) must carry with them a certain number of molecules of water per molecule of glycogen to be stored. Thus it may not be fat you are storing, but water weight. That's why dropping your carbs makes you lose so much weight so quickly.. it's mostly water weight.

That strategy is common amongst bodybuilders prepping for contest; I know, I've applied it to my a couple of clients for photoshoots to plump up their muscles. We call it carb depleting then carb loading.

As for eating 2 hours before and then 2 hours after a workout... if this works for you, then great. You can experiment with as low as half an hour before then after a workout too, depending on how much you consume at each given time and what your goal is.

I strongly beleive as well that proportion control is crucial. If you don't know the size of proportions you should be eating, how can you ever know you are consuming less calories than your body needs, to lose fat.

And just so you know; I have actually trained people who suffer from damaged metabolisms due to years of yo yo dieting, who also complained that they gained weight very easily eating carbs and was able to successfully get them on carbs permanently. And not via a keto type diet, or Adkins type. It might take some time, but your body can adapt to changes in diet.
    Josie "TRAINER JO" Dalton

Site: http://www.TrainerJo.com
    Talk Show: coming back soon
    FB: http://www.********.com/lasvegastrainerjo
    IG: @Ms.Trainer.Jo
    Google Plus: COMING SOON
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/trainerjo
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mstrainerjo

ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisTurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by warrell View Post
    There is no universally healthy diet that is going to work for everyone! Cutting carbs will work for one person and not another. This is why a friend for example may lose weight on a particular diet whilst you may not.

The trick to metabolic typing is finding out what works for you as an individual! What foods will work for you and in what proportion you should be eating them. The sicence behind metabolic typing is all there and is what most experianced nutrition practitioners are using now. It is also what they teach in the Chek Institute.

Heres a link for you to take a free metabolic typing test https://www.chekconnect.com
    Graduating from a Nutrition degree in November, misconceptions like this will ensure i'm never out of a job....
    Personal Training at your home, office or local park.
    www.mobiletrainer.com.au

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Probally ISSA (International Sports Science Association)

Why are you doing a CKD diet instead of just a straight keto diet? It takes like 3-4 days for your body to get into a ketosis state, if you are carbing up ever weekend isnt it just defeating the purpose or using keto? Im not a fan of keto diets but if it was me i would deffently just use straight keto rules instead of CKD.

Yeah im not a fan of keto diets either i would just recomend using a 60/20/20 and eating a calorie deflict. But if you relly want to do a keto diet i recomend to follow Dave Palumbo's outline for his cutting keto diet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5899101

Dont do your CKD (Cyclical Keto Diet) sounds stupid to me.

Yea eat carbs pre and post workout, for energy before your workout, and to replenish your glycogen stores when you have semi-depleted from weight training.