xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If you're not sore the next day, does that mean your previous workout was a failure?

This question spawned from a thread I made last night which raised some interesting questions... I always believed that if I'm not sore, I'm not making strength gains, which is why I'd perform drop sets (doing as many reps as I can, lowering weight and then continuing) so I'd be extremely sore the next day. From what I've heard, however, being sore mostly is for appearances and just makes you look bigger (although it's not working for me lolo), whereas doing less reps more weight is what increases strength; the reason, however, why I never do less reps more weight is because at the end of the workout/next day I feel like I didn't do enough because I did so few reps, and then I don't feel sore the next day.

So I ask you, do you still make progress when you're not sore? Should I try doing low rep high weight and seeing my results (progress-wise)? I plan on trying it anyway, today is probably biceps so I'm not sure what kind of workout i should do... 3x8 seems to be meh, maybe 4x5? i dunno.

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is one of those questions that could have you reading on this forum for about a week straight if you searched some. Opinions vary. I'm not very interested in debating and arguing about it, but my opinion, from my experience, is this: no, soreness doesn't equal a great workout.

My opinion comes from the fact that I rarely get sore. I get sore after a layoff from the gym, or when I do an exercise I am not used to, or when I fall asleep on the couch with my neck in an awkward position.

I've gone through months of training with great results and only been sore once or twice.

But again, opinions vary. I once spoke with a doctor who started his own gym and was training guys with infrequent, brief high-intensity workouts. He told me that if I wasn't sore I didn't really have the best workout I could have. He argued that soreness was - for everyone - a measure of a successful workout. I told him thanks and moved on to another gym and continued to train, not limp around the house, and grow bigger and stronger. But who knows? Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe I would have grown more had I done drop set after drop set and tried to get sore every workout.

HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    now pay attention to what i say. it can get confusing.

BEING sore is an indication of a good workout, BUT NOT BEING sore is not an indication of a bad one.
    “You are not what you were born, but what you have it in yourself to be.”
    - Liam Neeson

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I could give you the biochemical/physiological reason for soreness, but I won't. Soreness is in NO WAY NO HOW an indicator of a good workout. Success in strength training/bodybuilding comes in the form of progression. If you want to get sore, go run a marathon. Your entire body will be sore. Again..PROGRESSION is the only indication of a good workout.

Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Turbulence24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Regardless of soreness or not, I don't think it's right to say that a previous workout would be considered a failure. Whether or not soreness dictates optimal gains is irrelevant - working out will have a net gain on muscle and/or strength, unless it's an injury or some freak situation. I'm never sore the next day after working some muscle groups, but I know that I am getting stronger because my weights increase weekly. Just my 2c

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by fbcoach View Post
    I could give you the biochemical/physiological reason for soreness, but I won't. Soreness is in NO WAY NO HOW an indicator of a good workout. Success in strength training/bodybuilding comes in the form of progression. If you want to get sore, go run a marathon. Your entire body will be sore. Again..PROGRESSION is the only indication of a good workout.

^^^^This. One word for you, OP: progression.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want to please go ahead, I'm a biology major so I'd be interested in it.
    But yeah, good information every one. I tried lifting lower reps higher weights today, hopefully I'll see some good progress :]

madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madgravity34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    To the OP, if you want a perfect example of the principles behind this, take a look at Max-OT. You might not agree with the whole program and some here dont, but take the time to read the introduction and you will leave with a great deal more information on proper warm-up, importance of "pump," and where soreness stands in the scheme of things.

All in all its the weight you move that counts in strength training. No more, no less.

samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i rarely get sore on bench press unless I increase the weight , if i just do an extra few reps then i did the week b4 i feel nothing but still make gains usually... upping the weight just shocks the muscles i think so it makes the muscles sore or maybe im wrong lol, and legs get sore everytime! If u never did squats b4 in ur life ur going to be sore for a week straightor longer if u do sets of 5 , real heavy

xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should pick a proven program rather than designing one for yourself. Working out until your body is sore does not guarantee that you will get bigger or stronger. Increasing your numbers on the lifts will.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HeartofaLion View Post
    now pay attention to what i say. it can get confusing.

BEING sore is an indication of a good workout, BUT NOT BEING sore is not an indication of a bad one.
    You are, indeed, confused...

^^^^
    This. Reps to you.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xijixxijiy View Post
    If you want to please go ahead, I'm a biology major so I'd be interested in it.
    But yeah, good information every one. I tried lifting lower reps higher weights today, hopefully I'll see some good progress :]
    Sure,
    Working a muscle can cause some damage to the muscle fibers themselves called micro-trauma. This causes the inflammatory response. This also causes an increase in white blood cells, that in turn causes a release of enzymes called lyosomes. Lyosomes are enzymes that breakdown and metabolize tissues and increase the inflammatory response. It is this response that is thought to increase the sensistivity of the nerve endings caused by a chemical called PGE2. Repetitive (like running) and eccentric exercise causes most of this tissue breakdown. Again, the soreness isn't an indicator of a successful weight training/bodybuilding workout....PROGRESSION is what it is all about. I hope you didn't think I was being a smart_ss when answering you. I just hate to see younger guys being mislead by misinformation.

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Didn't read the rest of the thread, but no soreness doesn't mean a great workout and if you don't get sore that doesn't mean it was a bad workout...Generally you stop getting very sore at all after you workout for awhile and are used to the exercises...but i think for everyone not sure but for me anyways when i do a new exercise in my workout or switch up the whole routine ill get sore again for a few weeks and that's the usual cycle

tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50) tryingtofocus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am sore right now as I haven't worked out in many years, but not as sore as when I did free weights. I use a bowflex right now and just trying to lose some weight while not losing much muscle.

I was always under the impression you start out sore and then keep progressing and the soreness isn't around as much? Maybe I was told wrong years ago, or it is just many different opinions......

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want to get sore, go run a marathon.
    You mean a marathon provides unusual adaptation stimulus?
    What about people that run supermarathons... will they get sore with regular ones?

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    \/\/\/\/This. <<<<And that.

USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love waking up the day after a workout and feeling beat down. It gets me motivated feeling as If I have broken down the body and now have a day to re-up for the next beat down.

Only happens with legs (squatting 3x a week) and when I add new exercises.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ptwa9 View Post
    \/\/\/\/This. <<<<And that.
    You are a moron.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Originally Posted by USMSRN View Post
    I love waking up the day after a workout and feeling beat down. It gets me motivated feeling as If I have broken down the body and now have a day to re-up for the next beat down.
    If you could lift, and gain, without soreness... why would you WANT that soreness?

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    If you could lift, and gain, without soreness... why would you WANT that soreness?
    Come on baby make it hurt so good!

Overreach, rest, repeat.. stracin's Avatar
    stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stracin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Jun 24th, 485lb deadlift, not sore
    July 1st, 500lb deadlift, not sore
    July 8th, 510lb deadlift, not sore
    July 15th, 520lb deadlift, not sore
    July 22nd, 530lb deadlift, still not sore

In my experience, if you're getting sore, you can workout more frequently. Soreness seems to be an indication of deconditioning to me.
    Last edited by stracin; 07-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Bench: 355
    Squat: 415 (ATG)
    DL: 585

Total: 1355

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by stracin View Post

In my experience, if you're getting sore, you can workout more frequently. Soreness seems to be an indication of deconditioning to me.
    You can't expect to get sore off of 1 rep :P

Originally Posted by Miketoc View Post
    Come on baby make it hurt so good!

Making it hurt so good didn't help John get big...

Originally Posted by ptwa9 View Post
    You can't expect to get sore off of 1 rep :P
    Why not? Is there a cosmic rule against the possibility of this happening?

Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    Why not? Is there a cosmic rule against the possibility of this happening?
    Yes. Rule's out of this world.

Super Cereal Bites DesertForLife's Avatar
    DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000) DesertForLife is just really nice. (+1000)

Progression is what its about. Sure after working out a new body part you'll be sore, but your body will adapt and only become stronger as a result.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by stracin View Post

jesus christ dude that is some sweet progression there.