Thread: hang cleans

seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

hang cleans

should this be done on shoulder day, if your just letting the bar hang like ur doing bb shrugs and then just bring it up to your shoulders. is this the best movement or should i start it like a deadlift on the floor and then press it up? doesnt this work shoulders mostly if u just do hang clean. in this video is just hang cleans seems like so when should i do this

Last edited by seriouslifter; 07-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by seriouslifter View Post
    should this be done on shoulder day, if your just letting the bar hang like ur doing bb shrugs and then just bring it up to your shoulders. is this the best movement or should i start it like a deadlift on the floor and then press it up? doesnt this work shoulders mostly if u just do hang clean
    The muscles involved don't change with the start position and the list is essentially the same whether you start from the floor or the hang. Either way, cleans are not a shoulder exercise.

Full-body lifts don't fit particularly well in body-part splits, but if you were going to try to work them in leg day or back day would make more sense.

But, based on your description I'd guess you are new to the lift and likely have some technique/form work to do. So, performing them with an empty bar as part of your warm up - every time you're in the gym - would likely be the best place to start.

seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    The muscles involved don't change with the start position and the list is essentially the same whether you start from the floor or the hang. Either way, cleans are not a shoulder exercise.

Full-body lifts don't fit particularly well in body-part splits, but if you were going to try to work them in leg day or back day would make more sense.

But, based on your description I'd guess you are new to the lift and likely have some technique/form work to do. So, performing them with an empty bar as part of your warm up - every time you're in the gym - would likely be the best place to start.
    how could one really do these on a squat/leg day or dead/back day. this exercise is a mass builder/good compound movement.

how is this really a leg movement, the guy in the video is not squating down when he jerks the weight up. why do some squat down and catch it then push up like squating

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go with dead/back day, probably doing them right after deadlifts.

Originally Posted by RoccoTanno123 View Post
    Go with dead/back day, probably doing them right after deadlifts.
    so hang cleans work legs? how do they not work shoulders, ur pulling the weight up

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    how could one really do these on a squat/leg day or dead/back day.
    By performing the lift on those days...

this exercise is a mass builder/good compound movement.
    Good compound movement, sure.

Not really the best way to go about adding size though. There are much easier and more efficient ways to go about 'getting big'

i.e. squats, deadlifts, and rows

how is this really a leg movement, the guy in the video is not squating down when he jerks the weight up. why do some squat down and catch it then push up like squating
    Yes it is really a leg movement. The force on the bar (that sends it up in the air) comes from extension of the back, hips, and knees.

Catching the bar at the bottom of a squat is called a clean, and is usually done with a heavier weight. It can be performed starting from the floor or the hang.

Catching in a 1/4 squat is called a power clean. The bar is caught higher because less weight is used. These can also be started from the floor or the hang

bda001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hang cleans can be done on a back day, a legs day, or a total body day. This and any other power exercises should be done first in your workout, so that you have ample energy and get the most out of the lift. Technique and form has to be a huge focus if you are serious about cleaning. Like JLC said get the form down first and then increase the load. I've seen smaller guys out-clean bigger guys because their form was flawless and the bigger guys just tried to muscle the weight.

The power comes from the legs. The idea is to try to jump through the ceiling while pulling the bar upward, then drop your hips and catch the weight on the descent of the bar by getting your elbows and hands "through". The bar should be almost resting on your front delts and elbows pointed directly in front of you at the completion of the rep. This is a great exercise, I started doing them seriously for football in college and still do them.

ur pulling the weight up
    You shouldn't be pulling the weight up...

taylorf16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=J.L.C.;360661801]The muscles involved don't change with the start position and the list is essentially the same whether you start from the floor or the hang. Either way, cleans are not a shoulder exercise.
    QUOTE]

Really? I do hanging cleans and push press every week and my traps and shoulders are on fire.

Look at the bar movement from thigh to shoulder, its an explosive shrug, with lower body assistance, followed by a partial squat. then the push press (if you wanted to incorporate that) will work your shoulders as well.. These are awesome by the way.. I usually run 1 lap between sets. Doing 7 sets of 10 at 85 pounds. Keeps your heart rate high, and really tests endurance. If you want strictly strength, do higher weight, and fewer reps, then add and add and add..

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    do it matter if you cant get your elbows up like the guy in the video on the finishing position when the bar is resting on your chest or is the way hes doing it fine?

Originally Posted by taylorf16 View Post
    Really? I do hanging cleans and push press every week and my traps and shoulders are on fire.
    have any vids of your form?

(The OP asked about Hang Power Cleans. A push-press is a significantly different exercise but I agree that overhead pressing will work the shoulders)

My standard post on power cleans (these are from the floor, same things apply if you start above the knee)

From yesterday's thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117245171

The lift should start with the bar on the floor, positioned over top of where the toes meet the foot. Hips slightly higher than knees with a strong arch in the back, and shoulders in front of the bar.

The lift from the floor to approximately mid-thigh is called the 1st pull. It is done entirely with the legs. Thinking about 'pushing the floor away' helps, similar to a leg press, slowly press the floor away and 'pull the knees back', the angle of the hips and lower back should not change.

The 2nd pull starts at just above mid-thigh - this is where you explode. Triple extension - ankle, knee, hip - is the goal of this phase. Think of standing up HARD then immediately being in the receive position (1/4 front squat, elbows high).

The 2nd pull ends when the body hits triple extension and the shoulders are shrugged - the arms should still be straight at the end of the 2nd pull. Do not pull with your arms, power cleans are not jumping-upright-row-reverse-curls!

The force of the triple extension sends the bar up. As the bar rises the lifter 'whips' their elbows under the bar and 'racks' it across the shoulders. This is difficult to do if you have pulled the bar up with the arms.

Power cleans are pulled higher than squat cleans, usually to give the legs a break - this is why lighter weights are used for power cleans.

Here's how I do them:

Lots of stretching of the forearm flexors, triceps, and shoulder girdle (dislocates) will help with the mobility and will make the rack position more comfortable. Practicing the lift and positions with an empty bar is a great way to develop the flexibility - keep at it
    Originally Posted by ramrod63 View Post
    do it matter if you cant get your elbows up like the guy in the video on the finishing position when the bar is resting on your chest or is the way hes doing it fine?
    Yes.

Catching the bar with your elbows pointing at the floor subjects you to a bigger risk of injury.
    Last edited by J.L.C.; 07-22-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Poster above me is a phag Dennis71's Avatar
    Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dennis71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    he should actually be letting the bar hang right above his knees... so he has an arched back....
    Misc'in since '07

2x cancer survivor

mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mosy28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How would one go about redeveloping their technique? When I do hang cleans, there is power from my legs, but I still have to pull the bar up a little. Also, my landing is awkward at heavier weights. Anything below 205 I can hang clean and land with my feet in should width to just a little over shoulder width apart. At 225, my left leg starts to stick out a little, and at 245, my left leg really extends out.

Originally Posted by kjz50 View Post
    How would one go about redeveloping their technique? When I do hang cleans, there is power from my legs, but I still have to pull the bar up a little. Also, my landing is awkward at heavier weights. Anything below 205 I can hang clean and land with my feet in should width to just a little over shoulder width apart. At 225, my left leg starts to stick out a little, and at 245, my left leg really extends out.
    It usually involves going back to basics which requires backing off the weight for a while, even working with an empty bar if necessary.

There is a lot of feel and timing involved in executing the lift properly and that takes practice with sub-max weights. It's a pain in the butt, but taking weight off now will let you add a lot more in the future!

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Catching the bar with your elbows pointing at the floor subjects you to a bigger risk of injury.
    thanks but why?

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks but why?
    You could hurt your wrists.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Very good for power!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks but why?
    Excessive strain on the bones and muscles of the wrists and shoulders (rotator cuff).