HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000)

seated cable rows to target rear delts?

would this be acceptable to do cable rows as a way to target my delts? I'd obviously pull toward my upper chest area, rather than abdomen area.

I know that "proper" cable rowing form involves pulling more toward your stomach, but would it be sketchy for me to purposely pull up closer to my chest/shoulders to target my rear delts?

I've been unable to find a rear delt exercise that feels good and works for me. I already do enough back exercises on back day (deadlift, chinups, bent over BB rows, T bar rows, etc.) so I could use cable rows to target my rear delts unless it wouldn't be recommended.

advice?

edit: also, if I do this, what grip width is recommended. Should I use the very narrow v-bar attachment?or a wider grip bar.
    Last edited by HollywoodBody; 07-22-2009 at 10:29 AM.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think you'd have more success by doing wide grip upright rows and bent over lateral raises.

HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000) HollywoodBody is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I think you'd have more success by doing wide grip upright rows and bent over lateral raises.
    hmm I haven't tried upright rows in a while. I can try that out maybe.

I hate bent over lateral raises. I dunno why. But I never feel **** in my rear delts

badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Actually if you use the rope that you do tricep pushdowns with and pull towards you're face that does target the rear delts but if you use the D bar that you would normally do it wouldnt be as effective .
    In Hoots We Trust.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HollywoodBody View Post
    would this be acceptable to do cable rows as a way to target my delts? I'd obviously pull toward my upper chest area, rather than abdomen area.

I know that "proper" cable rowing form involves pulling more toward your stomach, but would it be sketchy for me to purposely pull up closer to my chest/shoulders to target my rear delts?

I've been unable to find a rear delt exercise that feels good and works for me. I already do enough back exercises on back day (deadlift, chinups, bent over BB rows, T bar rows, etc.) so I could use cable rows to target my rear delts unless it wouldn't be recommended.

advice?

edit: also, if I do this, what grip width is recommended. Should I use the very narrow v-bar attachment?or a wider grip bar.
    Have you tried bent dumbbell raises?
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upright rows target your lateral delts not your posterior delts.

Do bent over rows

Or a Rear Lateral Raise.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    Upright rows target your lateral delts not your posterior delts.

Do bent over rows

Or a Rear Lateral Raise.

I do bent over BB rows, so that's a good start I guess. Any particular grip width that will help bent over BB rows hit my rear delts?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hmm I haven't tried upright rows in a while. I can try that out maybe.

I hate bent over lateral raises. I dunno why. But I never feel **** in my rear delts
    What sort of rep range and sets do you do? I didn't feel them until I saw somebody on TV doing it in a way I'd never tried; Adjust an incline bench so you can rest your forehead on it and have your upper body parallel to the ground. Bend your knees, tighten your core, and rest your head on the bench. That way you can put all your effort into the reps themselves. I find about 10 reps of this with textbook form helps.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Have you tried bent dumbbell raises?
    yeah i've tried bending over standing and bending over seated, neither felt that good. It could just be that I'm new to that exercise, but felt damn hard to target my rear delts. My angle mighta been off, but it just wasn't comfortable. I'd rather do rows or something.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    What sort of rep range and sets do you do? I didn't feel them until I saw somebody on TV doing it in a way I'd never tried; Adjust an incline bench so you can rest your forehead on it and have your upper body parallel to the ground. Bend your knees, tighten your core, and rest your head on the bench. That way you can put all your effort into the reps themselves. I find about 10 reps of this with textbook form helps.
    so my head will be supported, but the rest of my body will not? (besides my feet obviously)

Ok I'll try that. Seems like it could work!

I usually try to do higher reps for bent over DB rows. Like maybe 10-12 reps

RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RunningStrong has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd have thought doing rows with your elbows high and pulling to the top of your chest will hit the rear delts best.

But personally I do a bent over low-pull on the cable machine. Works for me.

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

advice?

Facepulls (seated cable row using rope and pulling towards your face) works well.

I also do bentover BB rows but pull towards the CHEST (and not towards the stomach) to hit rear delts. I can't do as much weight with these as with regular BB rows though.

so my head will be supported, but the rest of my body will not? (besides my feet obviously)

Ok I'll try that. Seems like it could work!

I usually try to do higher reps for bent over DB rows. Like maybe 10-12 reps
    Yes, your head will be supported. Be cautious of how much support you put on your head. I'm an ex-wrestler so I've got years of neck bridges to keep me healthy. Usually I just put enough support on my head to leave a small red mark when I'm done. Go with the feel. The logic behind doing this is to take the work off your supporting core muscles and put the stress on your delts where you want it to be.

I do about 10 reps too, with very strict form. Good luck.

Lovin' Thickums since '88 Cheesin's Avatar
    Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do exactly what you were going to do: rear delt rows. Take a medium to wide grip bar and pull toward your chest. I don't feel anything while doing bent over laterals either (feels like a trap exercise). You could also take two dumbells, bend forward slightly and pull up sort of like a row.